Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

After 322 days of being unemployed, I have signed an offer letter.

7 months ago

|

Like many have echoed when sharing this celebration- I never thought this day would come. To give back to this community, I thought I’d share some of my experiences: 1. Timing- you can’t control this. I wish I believed it more but it’s definitely much easier to say now being on the other side of things. But if I can remind you anything through all of this, it’s that some things are out of your control. Just do what you can now, apply for jobs, tweak up the resume from time to time, take that online course you’ve been eyeing, and relax. The time will come. I wish I had this mindset more. I was anxious, sleepless, angry, and just overall a mess for almost a year. Now I wish I enjoyed that time more for self reflection. Wake up and say a little gratitude and a positive affirmation to yourself- it will make such a difference. 2. Social media- I definitely had to take a break from this. The smallest things would trigger me. Instead of celebrating other people’s success, I became bitter. That was when I realized something had to change. I stopped looking at feeds on LinkedIn, and just focused on using it as a resource to find a job. Oh and the whole preach on networking if you ever want to find a job- maybe this was just for my case, but 100% of my interviews resulted from just the classic applying online. So please, let this be a testament to argue that case. 3. Getting interviews- I’m not gonna note how much applications I sent (a lot) as it will just provide some benchmark for people to compare themselves to and that’s not the purpose for this. Instead, I will talk about my journey to getting a significant increase in opportunities. When I realized I was automatically receiving rejection emails left and right to everything I believed was a perfect job for me, I knew that something was clearly wrong with my resume. Google ATS, quantify!!!!(probably the biggest game changer when I finally put in numbers), listen to free webinars regarding job hunting (some are really helpful), and take a few days to fix up your LinkedIn profile. I can clearly see those who were searching me and it almost always correlated to my interviews or when a recruiter would reach out to me. They would definitely check it out. When I realized I was now getting an influx of interviews- I knew what was working so I decided to give back and help others. I’d suggest this as it not only improves your own resume to find improvements on others and find your own mistakes but also it’s just naturally healthy for your own mindset to be able to help during these struggling times. 4. Getting the offer- probably the worst part for me mentally. I was getting interviews.. awesome! Not quite. It was the worst when I’d clear the screening, get all the way to the final round, start imagining myself in the role and the company, only to get the same rejection email. I’d get angry that I put all that effort and started taking the outcome personally. This is when I tell you to stop yourself from doing the same mistake as I did if you find yourself on the same spot. At this stage, there’s a few things I can now reflect on. Sometimes, it may have been you/ your performance compared to others. And that’s okay! If you know you did something wrong or something that could’ve been better, or a question caught you off guard, write it down! Take a moment to accept it, affirm yourself, and learn from it. I have started to write down every question an interviewer asks me, not only does it provide a good reflection post interview, but it forced me to take a moment and think before I blurt out an answer. Next reason- sometimes it really just comes down to a more comfortable candidate for the company- experience, skills, whatever. It’s not you. There’s just now a whole group of people seeking jobs as well so the competition is inevitable. This is out of your control and you’ve done your part. Your efforts were not wasted, it’ll just provide you a one-up for the next. Often times, they may have just gone with an internal candidate- I hate this one, but it happens. This is why I emphasize that timing is out of our hands. Just keep going. The day will come and we’ll all be here to celebrate you next! Feel free to PM me or ask anything. I apologize for the long post and possible errors. All the best.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

StereoFood

Congrats! I have an interview tomorrow and will definitely be writing down the questions and watching for slight improvements I can make.

7 months ago

Edit

enteryourfirstname

Good luck!!

7 months ago

Edit

ImNotABot26

Congrats! Thanks for sharing this, I stopped applying on Linkedin as I also feel its about timing. Concentrating on my part-time MBA now, when I left my job voluntarily six months ago, I wanted to replace it immediately with another but knew I didn't want to do a similar role. Now I know this time is for self-reflection.

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

Thank you! I too left my job voluntarily. Lots of regret sometimes but I wouldn’t trade the decision. I needed the time looking back. I’m glad you know a direction to follow! Good luck on the MBA!

7 months ago

Edit

Rollins10

> get all the way to the final round and start imaging myself in the role and at the company Man that hurts. I had something similar happen to me with a Fortune 500 tech company. I was personable, expressed interest in moving to the area (w/o relo assistance), I kinda goofed on a couple things but one of the managers said they’d have me speak to someone else and present to them. I reached out to the manager who said that but never heard back from them. I’m not unemployed, but I’m kind of tired with where I’m at. There’s not a lot of room for growth outside of our office to go to another one. With the way the world has happened lately and thinking about all the stuff I wish I did more of before covid, it has had me thinking, I’m not going to let this be just a dream.

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

I feel you. Hope that dream turns into reality soon!

7 months ago

Edit

galactic_pink

Congrats! and good for you for posting something positive and reassuring for others who are struggling or feeling discouraged. Good karma will be in your favor ♥️

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

Thanks so much! And anything to return the favor to this community!

7 months ago

Edit

mindhunter_sage

Congratulations! I can totally understand these feelings. It's a tough and continuous struggle. I have been applying since last July and recently, started getting replies/interviews. I am looking forward to that day when I don't have to keep checking application status and panicking after hearing any notification of rejections from companies. Yes, timing is the biggest factor. I totally agree that social media worsens the issue. I have permanently deactivated FB and use LinkedIn only for jobs and (mostly useless) networking. My job search has shown me the REAL and Inner version of many of my so-called friends. This is even more painful when people start showing their back when we ask for any help. This is what it is! Anyway, congrats again and embrace this happiness!

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

Thank you so much. I agree with you completely. And yesss, the day will come when you’re not refreshing email updates or reliving every answer on interviews

7 months ago

Edit

JeamBim

A funny thing I've noticed is that it will generally take you 3-6 months from the date your START looking for a job to get one. So if you think you want a little break before your next job, factor that in, cause if you wat 6 months then start looking, you won't find one for another 6 months. If you want a 6 month break, start looking immediately.

7 months ago

Edit

tltr4560

What field are you in?

7 months ago

Edit

the-incredible-ape

I would tend to agree with this advice too. Today was my first day on the job after ... a little longer than you looking for a job.

7 months ago

Edit

thisgirlisonwater

Congratulations! You deserve to celebrate and should be very proud of yourself. Thank you for posting a success story! I recently got my dream offer after a long time of searching. Your experience really resonated with me and I think all of your points are valid. Congrats again!

7 months ago

Edit

muratkyrgyz

Congrats! This is really generous of you, and great you are sharing positive vibes with everyone. ​ Cheers!

7 months ago

Edit

mthomas1217

Wonderful. Congratulations!!!

7 months ago

Edit

BPP1943

Congratulations! Success sure beats failure. I’ve been blessed in my 50+ year environmental engineering career in the US and abroad. I tell people to take Warren Buffet’s good advice in what employers seek, and to use the long-standing SAR interview response. Good luck.

7 months ago

Edit

RevolutionaryLie6

I needed to hear this. Thank you so much for this post. Wish you the best!

7 months ago

Edit

anawkwardsomeone

Going on a year and a half here. This gives me some hope

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

Hang in there!

7 months ago

Edit

MiserablePear6

Literally my situation right now but I have a housemate with adhd so he's being a cunt honestly feel like homelessness would be better right now, I'd probably have more money

7 months ago

Edit

fabulousausage

Congrats! What's your specialty?

7 months ago

Edit

jknotscuna

Thank you, I’m in engineering!

7 months ago

Edit

WeirdGeologist4

Congrats! I have a few interviews this week hoping they lead to an offer

7 months ago

Edit

hotmayool

I love reading success stories. I’m still waiting on mine but huge congrats man

7 months ago

Edit

Elmirsafe

I know the feeling. Im starting new job next week finally

7 months ago

Edit

surya_varma

Congratulations man!

7 months ago

Edit

chaun2

So I clicked on the title, and somehow read "jokes" as the sub this was posted to, and got rather confused for a minute there

7 months ago

Edit

ManyPatriot5

I 've only been looking for a few months buy I'm completely discouraged 😐 I did just learn about ATS and will tweek the resume. I hate online apps they ask you to upload res but you still have to type all info in. I've had three interviews and many NOs. I did get a per diem job but still looking. I'm so tired of it already. thank you for you post though gives me hope.

7 months ago

Edit

MadreDeCats

Really well written, OP. Thank you (: Besides actually getting a job, I relate to everything you have said so far. I’m so annoyed by the trend of getting a job because you “know someone” rather than showing employers your actual potential and personality. Networking is draining and it’s not cool to network with someone and directly say, “hey I applied for a job in the X position. Can you help?” It’s nice to hear their journeys and advice, but you should never feel entitled that you’ll get the job by using them.

7 months ago

Edit

WhytePumpkin

Congratulations!!

7 months ago

Edit

Snoo_82769

Congrats on landing a job! And thank you for this excellent advice!! It's very helpful and encouraging.

7 months ago

Edit

BABYHR2021

Congrats on the new role! Wishing you the best :)

7 months ago

Edit

rebarex

This is really great and well written advice. I really needed this today. Thank you for sharing!

7 months ago

Edit

Ahmad_Aitesam

Congratulations man. Never give up 👍

7 months ago

Edit

azzygz

After a disappointing email today, this was exactly what I needed to read, thank you for sharing!

7 months ago

Edit

B_0101_

Well done! Very happy for you! Thank you for sharing your insight and experience. Edit: remember - every “no” is getting you closer to a “yes”

7 months ago

Edit

desperate-1

Congratulations

7 months ago

Edit

MadgeMoon

I’ve been out of work over a year. This gap in my employment (the only one) is what recruiters are telling me is the problem. How did you handle the question “what have you been doing this whole time?” My answer of “looking for work and caring for sick family members” is not helping me.

7 months ago

Edit

enteryourfirstname

Congratulations!🎉🎈🎊 and for giving us all here hope 🙂

7 months ago

Edit

Buff_e

Congrats!

7 months ago

Edit