Am I overreacting or am I being abused at work?

a month ago

|

garbage_cannott

I just started a new job at a winery in a tourist town. I was told I’d be a dishwasher, buss food, food run, and prep. I didn’t realize I would be doing all of that in a single day. Today was Memorial Day weekend and extremely busy. We had 4 people in the kitchen, but one left earlier (after 2 hours) because she wasn’t feeling well. Another left 2 hours before I did. I was the only person running food, dishwashing, and putting away dishes. I also would buss after running food although sometimes servers would bring dirty dishes back if I was stuck doing something. I had to have ran 300 boards on my own. I also then had to wash dishes and was the only one doing that and putting them away. I also helped prep food. I worked from 10-8 and did not get a single break. I scarfed down a sandwich when I could and used the bathroom twice. I’m making $13 an hour and get 0 tips. However, I’m very friendly and often the people i buss or bring food to like talking to me (I don’t stay for long because I have a million things to do). The only thing I am not doing in this job is serving wine. I left today and cried when I got to my car. This is my first restaurant type job so I’m not sure if I’m overreacting or if this is actually ridiculous. Also, I was never actually trained. Just kind of showed around and thrown into it so that was also tough. All advice welcome Edit: I’d like to mention everyone I work with is really nice and my boss is very nice too

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• Kanedi4s

You’re not overreacting, restaurant work is usually a rough job and it sounds like you got the shit end of the stick being the new person. You shouldn’t be working that long straight without a break either. What is fair and legal doesn’t always align with reality though, especially in an understaffed restaurant. It is very normal for any job that you would be doing multiple different tasks in one shift though, like bussing/prepping/dishwashing all together, I did that plenty at a pizza place. You should get breaks tho. If it’s a one off cause everyone was sick with Covid I’d probably let it slide cause shit happens, but if you are consistently getting no breaks covered then I would say something, cause that’s actually illegal in most places for a 10 hour shift.

a month ago

• neutra0

Get out of food services and go to retail. Less stressful. Apply to a Lowes and request a pay of 16 or more on the application.

a month ago

• honey-smile

Yep, that’s a typical restaurant type job. I worked as a hostess for a few years in college and right after. Most memorable was St. Patty’s day in a v Irish Midwest US city where I worked from 9 AM to 10 PM without a break (including food/water) on my feet all day, bussing, sitting tables, and running food. Pretty much you either tough it out or find another job. Non-holiday (and weekday) shifts are also a lot better.

a month ago

• Earthling1980

lol "hostess" not at all comparable

a month ago

• Exoticfeeteyecandy

Only $13/hour for doing all of that 😵‍💫 I’m sure you do a terrific job! I’ve always heard that working in restauration is really tough. I think this is something you’re going to need to get used to. It’s very fast paced. There is no shame if that’s not your style and you can try and look for another job.

a month ago

• xb4r7x

This is why everyone tries to leave the restaurant industry.

a month ago

• suddenlyy

Sounds like they are understaffed. It sounds like its because they underpay And as a result youre overworked Its common in todays America :(

a month ago

• Rootibooga

Not abused. You were put in a tough spot and rose admirably to the occasion, and I believe everyone (customers, your other coworker, and your boss) appreciates your effort immensely! That said, you're climbing the wrong tree. Your efforts will be paid in social capital and admiration, but not in money. There are many places you can go where your efforts will be rewarded with social capital, admiration, and MONEY. I did the same thing. I loved my job at the airport slinging bags for $10 -$12 an hour, and I had amazing relationships there. It was hard, but I needed to make a change in careers. You need to make a change in careers. You have to. You seem like you'll succeed in physical work, so get into the skilled trades, they're taking all comers. Get trained in internet work via coursera (coding, software engineering, technical writing, anything) if you don't want to do physical jobs. Don't let days like today get to you. Use this job to build your relationships and reputation as you look (RIGHT NOW) for a better job.

a month ago

• DoubleReputation2

You're being "abused". Busser is a tipped position, food runner is a tipped position. Bussers I know usually make around $12 and hour plus 5% of the tips from each server, with minimum being $5 Dishwashers I know make anywhere from $13.5 to $17 an hour. Starting at $13.5 though. Not sure how much food runner makes but definitely gets tip out. Edit: You say your boss is really nice, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know you are not being tipped out. Bring it up. We used to have zipper pouches with names on them for all our bussers and runners and they were on their own to pick it up. There may be an envelope somewhere with your name on it. ​ To re-iterate, though. You are being abused even if you get tipped. You can't possibly do 3 jobs at one and be expected to last a summer. That's insane.

a month ago

• Earthling1980

Yes, you're being abused. And it's only a matter of time before you're not allowed to leave the dish room. Negotiate a pay raise (significant - $5 or more per hour, or at least becoming part of the tip pool) or quit immediately.

a month ago

• Brave-Tradition1454

First talk to your boss and decide for yourself wether more money will solve the situation or not cause if it happened once it will happen again. Figure out if you would and be able to handle similar situations if your paid more if not I would look for another job.

a month ago

• FRELNCER

It sounds terrible. But, I wouldn't judge the ongoing conditions based on a holiday weekend. That's like working retail for the first time on the day after Christmas. If you aren't worried about losing the job (e.g. you'll be happy to leave if it's like this all the time), maybe talk to your bosses after the holiday and ask them how you can avoid being stuck in a similar situation again.

a month ago

Community Discussions

Jobs For You