Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

Am I the only one who gets sad when people ask how your job search is going and you have nothing to say?

22 days ago

|

I know my parents want me out of the house. I can tell by how often I get asked interrogation type questions about my job search. When they ask about my job search, it just makes me dislike myself even more for not being perfect like everyone else who has jobs and are thriving during this pythagorean theorem we are stuck in. I guess not having constant income makes me a failure in their eyes. I really don’t know how to not let it get to me. I’m constantly applying but I’m really not in control of who wants to consider me beyond sending in a resume and hoping for the best. It’s been hinted to me that I may have to get a job I don’t really like but what does that do for me really? Constantly being sad on the daily basis just to say I have a job and my parents can tell people I’m working? I done read every positive quote and the ole “Your time is coming” type quotes a billion times over. *sigh* Anyone else feel the same way?

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • disasterdame66

Nope not just you, it *sucks*

22 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• IronManKell

Some people act like you can just hire yourself

22 days ago

Edit

• mexican_robin

You are not the only one, I have a year being unemployed, only working in an informal way with a friend teaching english, and it sucks major balls

22 days ago

Edit

• IronManKell

mane I’m 8 months in and it’s awful to constantly feel like I’m behind.

21 days ago

Edit

• Cool-Tourist5153

Start calling the businesses you are open to working at directly, and then say this: "Hi, im looking to speak with the hiring manager, who might that be"? ONCE THE HIRING MANAGER IS ON THE PHONE: "Hi HiringManagersName, My name is IronManKell, the reason i am calling is to introduce myself as I am in the market for employment and and would love to be a part of (INSERT BUSINESS NAME HERE)...I wanted to call directly and see what your needs might be regarding bringing somebody new onto your team" Send in the job application before your call, so that when they ask you can tell them it is completed. Hope this helps. Sending in applications is good, but doing this in conjunction with a direct call will yield far better results in my experience.

21 days ago

Edit

• IronManKell

And see I always wondered if it’s best to go above and beyond just submitting an application to an unknown dimension. Thank you!!

21 days ago

Edit

• puptroy69

While I cannot solve the tension between you and your parents, perhaps I can assist in another way. I’ll start with telling you, yeah it’s a crappy feeling to have when someone asks about anything that we aren’t seeing progress in ourselves. “Did you get your car fixed yet, it’s been 3 months?” “Did you move out of that place you were living, you said that you were months ago?” It’s difficult not to be upset when it seems like everything you try is met with resistance and it gets magnified by the notion that there are people that say you are not trying hard enough. It’s easy for someone else to look at a situation that is not their own and pick it apart to being more simple than it actually is. The only thing we can do to get better is to ignore everything else and only focus on one thing at a time. Each of us has different capabilities and areas for improvement, but it isn’t for another to say our efforts aren’t good enough. I heard once that when you stop measuring yourself against others, you find that you actually are good enough, or something to that affect. We experience life unique to ourselves and to take my experience and compare it to yours would be a severe folly on my part because you didn’t live like me and visa versa. Some unsolicited advice in your job search efforts: Completely redo your resume and see if anything changes. Perhaps, ask someone you feel is successful to look over your new resume, that isn’t your parents. And one last thing: ask your parents if they are measuring you against their own past or are they actually looking at you as someone who is completely different with separate experiences. It’s not to hurt them, but maybe open a different line of thinking and beneficial conversations for each of you. I hope this helps or inspires you. Good luck and keep up the good work.

21 days ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job