Am I wrong for hanging up on a job recruiter?

a month ago

|

McRibsBitch

So, for context, I was invited to apply for a technical writing position last night, and I’ve been applying to a LOT of jobs in general. I did apply, take a test, etc. Earlier today, I get a random call in the middle of cooking, and I actually pick up—and it’s the recruiter from the job. First, I had no idea who the recruiter was working for, and I had to ask for the company name and it was the one I applied for. He didn’t have the best of English and thick accent, and it was really hard to understand and I felt bad that I was struggling. In an aggressive way, he started asking for my compensation, whether I could work now, and if right then and there if I could decide/apply/accept something/answer something he sent in an email. I was just confused with what he was asking for and became really overwhelmed. I asked if I could do it later as I couldn’t at the time and was away from my computer, and he kept on being insistent. I ended up hanging up, (we know I’m not getting this job now). That aside… am I in the wrong? I really feel bad, but I’m not sure if I dodged a bullet of a company or not. I wonder how I could’ve gone about this situation better.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• candanceisonfire

They should have asked if this was a good time to talk about your potential employment. I wouldn't feel bad, it was probably a scam. If they were serious, they would have sent an email to confirm a time/date to talk.

a month ago

• parkskenzie

No, I wish I had hung up on a few recruiters

a month ago

• eatcheeseplease

Pushing you to give information and make decisions on the spot sounds like a scam.

a month ago

• pleasegetittogether

Sounds like a scam....I would've hung up too!

a month ago

• rednail64

Likely not a scam - just an aggressive call-center recruiter looking for a person to make money off of.

a month ago

• thunderintess

I have hung up on several recruiters. Because they don't speak my language well, or because the job is 500 miles away, or because the job is totally unrelated to my skills. Don't be like my mother who thinks that you have to have a conversation with any salesperson who calls simply because you picked up the phone.

a month ago

• CostaNico

I've been getting spammed by a lot of 'recruiters' who typically have an Indian accent and are from some shady recruiting agency like "TeKJobs4U.com" Unfortunately I think they got my resume from an online database and now I get called almost every other hour for some contract role. Don't be afraid to shut them down. These people are vultures. Be careful where you submit your resumes

a month ago

• Wolf110ci

"I'm sorry. I'm not in a position to have a lengthy conversation right now. Let's schedule a call for another time." Keep repeating until they get it.

a month ago

• TATORTOT76

Ah hell no. Not afraid to answer or hang up a phone. Speed demons that think that if they can rush in a language they half speak are told to slow down or i just cut the call. Wonder when "hang up" will leave the language....

a month ago

• pepe_silvia_12

Nah. A lot of recruiters are pushy like this. I just tell them I’m currently in a meeting so they’ll have to email me details. Then thank them and hang up lol.

a month ago

• redditgirlwz

I always ask them what company they work for, because I've had random scammers call and email me pretending to be recruiters (for jobs I didn't apply for). The freakiest one was a "recruiter" who emailed me a day or two after I was laid off thanking me for applying for a job that I didn't apply for. Then they called me a few days later claiming I applied a few months before (when I was fully and happily employed, so clearly I didn't). That being said, real recruiters do call sometimes. So you want to make sure to check if they're real or fake (by checking if you actually applied for the position an making sure the job posting/company is legit).

a month ago

• OdinAurelius

Uh yeah, a simple: “I’m sorry I don’t think this is gonna work out” suffices. I’ve done it a number of time on phone calls and zoom interviews. It’s awkward but be polite, you’ll see how quickly a recruiter loses interest and hangs up themselves

a month ago

• ddarner

No you can just say "no thank you" and hang up

a month ago

• HappyHighwayman

Probably a crappy job based on the recruiter's actions

a month ago

• Mojojojo3030

If it's an internal recruiter maybe, but I think you can prob contact someone else and explain that he was being objectively rude. If it's an external recruiter nobody GAF, they're like pop tart wrappers. I would not assume a company's HR is reflective of the company overall. HRs are weird. Also next time, don't ask, don't JADE, just say "I can't talk right now, please call me back around \_\_\_." If they push back just repeat. It's completely reasonable. I mean can you ever imagine doing that to someone? No.

a month ago

• monkeywelder

You gotta think. If you cant understand this guy. How is the end client understanding them?

a month ago

• djscott95

Recruiters are garbage

a month ago

• Tyrilean

There are some recruitment firms they hire the cheapest call center labor out of India to pester people for jobs that may or may not even line up with their skills. The hope is that by going for sheer quantity, enough people will just randomly stick to openings that they’ll turn a greater profit than if they used quality recruiters. You should never feel bad about ignoring these recruiters.

a month ago

• SeriousWorldliness34

Being aggressively insistent that you click on an email link sounds like an absolute scam.

a month ago

• Tacosofdoom_

I ghosted two jobs that wanted to hire me after applying because the pay and job location environment was ass. Don't feel bad about a recruiter, they somehow gain from forcing jobs and spam emails on you

a month ago

• Great_Cockroach69

I refuse to deal with any company that hires recruiters from out of the country who barely speak English. They’re always bottom of the barrel if not outright scams. I stay away from new age sys for that reason

a month ago

• Coldshowers92

I had a recruiter call me for a position a while back that I did 3 interview for and never heard back. Well the same recruiter called me 2 weeks later for another opening I had zero qualifications for and hung up because I thought he had to be pranking me.

a month ago

• Professional_Part773

No

a month ago

• ImFineHow_AreYou

Bullet dodged!

a month ago

• Phaldaz

Had recruitors reach out to me after posting on Indeed. Decided to reply and even have video chat with one of them so we got to know one another and my work expectations and what not .... She didn't manage to get me even one interview, meanwhile on my own I managed to get 3 smfh, and she sold the fact that she had people in mind since they typically deal with a set known database Now that is just my experience, they didn't amount to anything and was a waste of my time but again YMMV

a month ago

• ashlijami

This sounds like what I'm going through, there are a lot of scams right now

a month ago

Community Discussions

Jobs For You