Boss actually tried demanding me to donate to the companies “charity”

a month ago

|

no-capp

Lol I just have to tell someone this, so yesterday my boss comes up to me says, “hey, go donate $50 bucks to the fundraiser” I kinda chuckled and said what, and then I realized he was serious, I continued to chuckle I said “yea, okay give me $100 bucks and I’ll donate $50” lmao. I later found out the reason he is so caring this year and wants people to donate is all because his boss told him if he can get $1500 dollars (probably so the company can get some tax break) of donations so he can have a week off! Yippyyy for him. Needless to say I won’t be donating, sorry :/ I have no issue donating when it is a genuine act of kindness but for businesses or people that do it for the pure sake of self reward is sickening. That’s all hope you have a great day :) who ever is reading this

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• MotherEastern3051

Your boss sounds like a right self serving spoon. Hate stuff like this, reminds me of when companies force you to 'volunteer' time to do extra work for the company, except everyone knows by voluntary they just mean unpaid.

a month ago

• no-capp

Yea exactly, cruel needless to say

a month ago

• ad-free-user-special

Company that I used to work for wanted employees to donate to one of their charities and send the receipt to them, but only if we weren't going to use the donation as a deduction on our own taxes.

a month ago

• rnjbond

I think that may be illegal.

a month ago

• Guava_Sufficient

You did the right thing.DONT DONATE SHIT TO YOUR JOB.FUCK EM.

a month ago

• no-capp

As much as I could agree, I mean I could use this opportunity to look like a nice cool person lol, I am assuming my boss thinks I’m not goin give jack shit but if I come around and surprise him with a couple bucks, that’ll go a long way for me I think, I mean $20 bucks whatever I can live without it. Plus I’m essentially donating lol so whatever win win for everyone. Edit: now I’m sounding selfish! LOL, looking for my own self graduate in this hahaha Jesus

a month ago

• BigCraas

We have that with United Way. Turns out it’s a shitty organization that pays the CEO too much

a month ago

• Panacea4316

I interviewed for an IT Manager role with them a couple months ago, and they didn’t want to pay market rate for the role. It reminded me why I should stop applying at nonprofits.

a month ago

• OnlyPaperListens

United Way, right? I've dealt with this crap at several jobs.

a month ago

• RDPCG

One (and there are many) of the problems with United Way is that they're just too big and don't have a centralized mission. Their mission is to funnel your money to any and every cause. Want to donate to a local school? Well, you can do that through United Way. Want to give to a notable chain of food banks in the state? United Way. And as others have said, a portion of that money is actually going to the cause. Hell, if you go to United Way's website, they fully disclose that **the CEO of United Way received $1,578,515.00 in 2019**. Why should the CEO of a charity organization (I don't care how big or small it is) receive that sort of money when the entire purpose of a charity is to give to a cause (that doesn't include the CEO's pockets)?

a month ago

• myopini0n

Yep, happens all the time. The answer is no. If pressed, "I already am committed on my donations", not that you need an answer.

a month ago

• charles_osha

Nah, the answer if pressed is “no”

a month ago

• LeaveForNoRaisin

The only reason to donate through your company is if they do a donation match. Otherwise you’re just handing them a tax benefit.

a month ago

• DontTouchTheWalrus

That’s not how donation tax credits work. They’d have to report the income and the amount they donated. If they took 1500 dollars in and didn’t report it then tried to say they donated 1500 out of their own money that would be fraud.

a month ago

• godless_communism

Tell him you're there to get money, not give money.

a month ago

• TSKrista

" I'm not paid a living wage, let enough in excess to give people money "

a month ago

• sorry4bad

Wow, Michael Scott vibes right there haha

a month ago

• no-capp

🤣🤣🤣 exactly

a month ago

• mickeyflinn

I hate when company's do this. I will donate as I see fit, I am not obligated to donate.

a month ago

• KyleCAV

What an ahole boss like maybe instead of shaking down your employees for donations so you can have the week off just pay up the $1,500 if you want if off that bad and lol having to raise money to take time off what a weird company.

a month ago

• no-capp

Hahah you’re telling me, this place isn’t normal at all

a month ago

• Diligent_Arrival_428

I never donate on the spot like that anyway. I always vet charities im donating too. A lot of bs out there, donating to some ceo's salary.

a month ago

• Winterhof

Agreed! Vet the non profits you give to! Unsolicited "requests" can get a "sorry, it's not in my budget right now". If you don't mind sharing the info AND your employer matches, then think about it, otherwise it's all about the company's PR.

a month ago

• are-any-names-left

This sounds like working for the United Way. Every year during their big drive they insist their employees donate a chunk of their paycheck to their own organization. If you don’t, you won’t be looked on favourably.

a month ago

• Touch_Desperate

I already donated $50 in your name to the Human Fund.

a month ago

• Excellent-Board907

This is the comment I was searching for 😂😂

a month ago

• Foreign_Blueberry_12

My company made me sit through training. What was the training you ask, how to give to the unite way during the company’s charity drive. The training was mandatory.

a month ago

• PhysicsDude55

I worked as an electrician that did work in Walmart stores in 2006~2008. They had some program that employees could enroll in that donated a portion of their paycheck to some charity that did charitable things for other Walmart employees, like pay for child care while an employee got cancer, or bought a car for someone after theirs got stolen, etc. They had posters plastered up all over the employee break room about all the wonderful things that came from this charity. But, like, it was the employees, who didn't make dick for money, scrapping together to help each other, while Walmart didn't do dick for their employees when they needed assistance. Shits fucked up. If a company wants to brag about their charitable givings, it better come from the company and not their wage slaves.

a month ago

• AndreWaters20

Sounds like what the postmaster DeJoy did- donated over a million bucks to Trump and the GQP through his employees, then paid them "bonuses". That's why Trump appointed him. He has ownership in a couple companies that directly compete with the USPS. I wonder why he's slowing service and raising prices? Republicans are eager to tell people that government doesn't work. Then a bunch of low information morons vote them in, and they are even more eager to break everything government does. Then they point at their own wreckage and say- "See? Government doesn't work." There needs to be harsher laws. Make it a felony to force or coerce charitable donations. Make it an even harsher penalty when it's politically motivated. But even non political coerced donations have a political element. It's either office politics, or done to curry favor with someone with a desired influence. Often politicians.

a month ago

• textureworkshop

I worked for a company who wanted us to log any charitable giving and volunteering we did. Outside of company time ofcourse. They didn't tell us who or where to give but wanted to take credit for it for some award. Or taxes maybe? I dont know, but it felt very sketchy. What I do on my time is about me, not you. Sorry, no.

a month ago

• anon343052

This isn't unusual in banking and finance. Banks especially will require you to pre-clear and report all sorts of transactions and charitable giving is not without threats for stuff like conflict of interest, undue influence, money laundering, etc.

a month ago

• BigCraas

Don’t ever let a place of employment bully you into donating. Most of the time it’s all for perception or to just make their company look good. Do your research on the organization

a month ago

• mutantmonky

I worked for an attorney who's brother was also an attorney in the same firm, but he mostly did lobbying work. He asked employees to make checks out to political campaigns all the time, but he'd reimburse the employee in cash. He was trying to get around donation limits. I refused. He couldn't understand why I had a problem helping him violate campaign finance laws. I stayed at that firm less than a year. Too much unethical stuff going on.

a month ago

• New-Sir-4662

Not the same thing but similar. I was at a local bar and grill that was asking for donations for toys for tots or some such thing. Offering 10% off for anyone donating more than 100 bucks or something like that i was intrigued and on board. Until i overheard the bartender and his half in the bag off duty manager talking at the end of the bar about how they'd get a bonus if they got 3 more people to "donate". Not exactly sure what their angle was but any charity that results in a benefit for the person pushing it. Isn't exactly charity. I didn't give em anything.

a month ago

• goawf

I have a friend who worked at a bar, and all the tip they made apparently went to a cat shelter the manager was also running, without her asking them. I'd start hating cats after that if I worked there.

a month ago

• ramebir

I worked for a nonprofit where we were basically required to donate during the holidays. Our exec would send out emails asking for a 100% participation and they tracked donations. I didn't donate right away and my manager called me out on it. Left a really bad taste in my mouth.

a month ago

• Arachnesloom

This is why I don't donate to charities via grocery stores at checkout. Since they don't offer me documentation of the donation, I assume they're going to take credit for all customer donations so the company can get a big tax writeoff.

a month ago

• cyberentomology

They also have to take credit for the increased revenue. Which is offset by the donation. Net effect on taxes is nothing.

a month ago

• Zealousideal-Cow6626

This is why I never Donate to charities from work. Maybe externally I will but if my job asks me to donate is a big FUCK NO. They’re getting a tax break so they benefit from it more than us and the charities. They can afford to donate $1k so why asking employees that’s making bare minimum

a month ago

• cyberentomology

How are they “getting a tax break”? They’re offsetting the donation revenue with what they donate… one side cancels the other out. There is literally zero impact on taxes.

a month ago

• Biomicrite

Buy your boss some Brasso to moisturise his brass neck.

a month ago

• HappyHighwayman

When my office does this they actually track the % of people who donated but not the individual donations. I usually toss in $1 so we can get 100% but I don't care to to donate to their shitty charity.

a month ago

• Remarkable-Sleep-441

Let him donate the 1500 in full then

a month ago

• SixthLegionVI

My company has stuff to donate to but it's 100% voluntary, nobody breathing down your neck to do it. That sucks but good for you.

a month ago

• thegodsarepleased

I'm not a huge fan of HR but this is probably a situation that calls for their involvement.

a month ago

• BigCraas

United way is cancer!

a month ago

• shadowheart1

"My annual charity donations are already taken care of, but thank you for the suggestion." - for anyone who needs a "professional and polite" way of saying no to your boss. Also can be applied to "My gifts to coworker/boss" or "My investments for this quarter" if necessary.

a month ago

• GuyWithNoEffingClue

You should definitely post this on r/antiwork

a month ago

• no-capp

seems like someone already did xD

a month ago

• Shemlocks

r/antiwork

a month ago

• bets90

😂 You gave the best possible reply. May people do not have the luxury or balls to reply to their bosses like that.

a month ago

• no-capp

One of the many reasons I stay there lol, naw I get paid pretty well for my age, he really is alright. Stays outta the way for the most part doesnt micro manage, I get A LOT of leway and how I can spend my time at work, So eh truly it is no biggy to me, I just brush it off.

a month ago

• leeblissy

life pro tip: companies do things like fundraisers "for charity" so they can give away money other people gave them so they could make that money immediately back in tax breaks. they'll ask working class people to give them their hard earned, limited resources while they sit on billions so they can get a few more million later down the line. if companies actually GENUINELY cared about "charity", they wouldn't be asking poor people you give them their money, they would be donating their own billions and billions of dollars towards making the world actually better the only company I can think of that ACTUALLY donates their own money is chick fil a and well....... we wish they didn't ❤

a month ago

• WEAKNESSisEXISTENCE

This belongs in r/antiwork

a month ago

• rnjbond

This whole subreddit is turning into an offshoot of that anyway

a month ago

• Train3rRed88

Boss should of course encourage team to donate. I mean it’s for charity and the more money the better But if team falls short and he wants a week of vacation out of it, then he should open up his checkbook

a month ago

• no-capp

Agreed, hell even if he went at it a different way, like maybe offering a little lunch party in the middle of the week. We are have a company lunch on the 16th, so honestly I might just throw $20 bucks. I don’t think he expects me to give anything so if I give something I think that’ll kinda shock him and make him happy which honestly will do only good, he will have an even better view point of me which is never a bad thing. Having someone like you more is always positive.

a month ago

• kidruhil

Never ever donate to charities. They're all fulla shit and only a fraction actually goes to helping their cause. Most just lines the pockets of the administrators. If I wanna help someone, I go straight to the source.

a month ago

• RDPCG

They're not all full of shit, but at the same time, people shouldn't blindly contribute to charities but instead do their research on their reputation, mission, etc.

a month ago

• sweetfumblebee

I simply tell people when they push that I donate to my own charities privately. Mostly because I don't want to give companies tax breaks.

a month ago

• SnooDrawings4726

All business “charities” are solely for tax breaks… they pretend like the money is from the business itself and therefore write it off the profits of the business Same with grocery stores and the like, they try and guilt you jn the check out line when people are around so you donate

a month ago

• Greyrain71181

Never donate anything through a company. They will use your donation money so they can get a tax deduction. If you want to donate, do it directly.

a month ago

• cyberentomology

A tax deduction on the revenue collected equals no change to their tax liability.

a month ago

• Cheap-Depth5650

r/antiwork

a month ago

• OrbSwitzer

r/antiwork

a month ago

• PaisFigo

Depending on how large the company / department is you better understand how this might look. If everyone else on the teams donates and you don't how is this going to change how your boss treats you? I'd donate a $20 just so I'm not the only one who didn't do it if my boss is actually making a big deal about it, especially if I was at a smaller company / department. It's all office politics

a month ago

• EngineerDoge00

If not donating to the generic company fundraiser so your boss can get a week off and the company gets a tax cut and can pat itself on the back gets you put on the shit list, then that place is a toxic dumpster-fire of self-righteous asshats who deserves nothing but poverty. ​ I get the tax-break thing. There is nothing wrong with "Quid Pro Quo". It's part of capitalism and a healthy society. But getting punished for not doing a favor is shitty.

a month ago

• ajdrc9

Charities are bullshit anyway.

a month ago

• Piper6728

Fuck that

a month ago

• DirtyPenPalDoug

I work for money.. If i go to work and they want me to give them money, they have a failure of understanding how this works.

a month ago

• marnice6

Damn your boss only cares about himself it’s like screw the ppl your helping just for a week off work wtf

a month ago

• claire_luna15

what a sellout. I wouldn't donate either

a month ago

• pixelblue1

Companies want you to do this so they can process the transaction and likely use it as a tax write off themselves. If I'm going to donate to something, I'll do so independently.

a month ago

• DrivingForce86

It's like selling girlscout cookies

a month ago

• Jmichaelgo

I don't donate money to any business or corporation. It's just a way for them to get a tax write off with your money. Not to mention the chosen charities are usually terrible.

a month ago

• BRB8675309

They can encourage. But to demand is inappropriate. Tell them you have other causes you donate to

a month ago

• Bridge-etti

Not sure about the private sector but in government work that is definitely not allowed. You can’t coerce employees into donating funds for a charity. Especially if it’s run by your organization. It’s considered a conflict of interest and a violation of ethics.

a month ago

• Curious_Coconut_4005

They did when I was in the Army (1994-1998). Every year they would come around and pressure us to donate. First time I was still in Basic Training and I gave in to the pressure. Next three years I ignored them best I could.

a month ago

• MagicodeA

Repost this to r/antiwork. Definitely belongs there too!

a month ago

• Belphagors_Prime

OP should cross post this to /r/antiwork

a month ago

• Lissbirds

They do this where I work and track participation because they want 100 percent employee participation to show to their donors.

a month ago

• Ape-driving-nakd

What a jerk! Put that money in the bank! I hate these boss who think employees are rich! And all so that he’ll have a week off? Stupid Corporate America!

a month ago

• erk337

Sorry you work for such a cunt

a month ago

• LostCause666946

I worked once at a place where management tried to strong us workers to donate to United Way. Sorry, but I donate to places I choose, not who you choose.

a month ago

• FmlaSaySaySay

This sounds like MLM stuff, but with corporate “charities” that are kickbacks to rich people. Same folks, probably, like their spouses are selling expensive kitchen spoons or leggings.

a month ago

• bigmac_0899

Lol but when my government makes me do the same thing and I have a problem with it, I'm racist

a month ago

• ByronScottJones

Laughs in United Way...

a month ago

• Patient_Character730

My work is also doing some charity thing. I've gotten multiple emails about how we need to pick out an angel to donate money or gifts too. Then another email saying these still need two angels taken care of and time is running out. Thankfully they haven't singled me out and asked me directly, but if confronted I'll tell them the truth, I already donated to a charity of MY choice on giving Tuesday. I don't need these pressure emails. We all saw them the first time.

a month ago

• truckerken123

Thats like when your at big box stores or the grocery store they ask i you wanna donate...fuck that. You guys prob grossed over millions this year you fucking donate...

a month ago

• Awkward-Seaweed-5129

Years ago ,had second job very well known large company, they pushed to donate like 1$ weekly ,auto deduct to large Charity, think United Way, so no big deal ,signed up ,quite a while later ,I discovered that the Charity's Regional (,only our County), Director was making $ 300,000 year, and this was 20 years ago , so be careful with your donations, Orange Man had to shut down family charity few years ago ,as they allegedly self dealing,accepting donations and then paying his own Company to hold Charity functions and more,lots of scumbags involved in Charities

a month ago

• FaPtoWap

Nothing is worse then fake happiness, fake volunteering and LinkedIn virtue signiling by companies. My company is 50/50. I think part of the top really does want to do good and we have some fantastic employee and community benefits. It is a world wide company, I promise you have seen us at least once a day. But that downside is the employees who take it upon themselves to really just ruin the entire culture and experience by trying to create or implement other unnecessary events. Or fake Office happiness. And its all done because of what promotion they think they can get or resume bullet they can add.

a month ago

• noworn

Never donate to a charity through a for profit business. Apparently, the businesses take donations, invest and earn interest on them, and send the principal to the charity only after they made their money.

a month ago

• no-capp

Now lemme ask this, for the 401k, if you contribute up to whatever the company will match too can they use that as some way of a tax right off or something, I mean I guess with a 401k they are investing the money for you essentially, If I am not mistaken, but from that view point I guess it is a win win, Just can not use my fukn money till I am an old man xD

a month ago

• Wolphman007

Damn, fuck your boss and the company you work for!

a month ago

• beamdump

This is nothing new. Back in the 1980x's, the bank (big one in SF) actually "advised" it's massive number of employees to "contribute to some charities THROUGH THEIR charitable arm. (Tax deductions for THEM). Along with the advice came the unwritten 'advice from managers all the way down the line "that it would be a good idea to participate. Raised quite a stink. Heard the IRS and the DOL got involved and the "advice" both written and whispered, were dropped.

a month ago

• Glassfern

Just tell them you already donated to a charity of your choosing for the year and don't have any more to give. Your boss can open his own wallet. If its for a tax break then the company should be using its own profits not employee paychecks.

a month ago

• cyberentomology

At the risk of veering off topic, there seem to be a lot of people in here that don’t have even the remotest understanding of how nonprofits operate or even how business taxes work with regards to charitable contributions. Also worth considering is that the entire model for measuring nonprofits is pretty screwed up anyway. Dan Pallotta: The way we think about charity is dead wrong https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong

a month ago

• no-capp

goin watch this actually, love learning new things like this.

a month ago

• heckersdeccers

"go ask the CEO"

a month ago

• Elucividy

Make a direct $50 tax-deductible donation without going through the fundraiser and see how your boss responds.

a month ago

• iamsce

UPS used to do this crap to supervisors. They wanted to have 100% participation and would harass people who wouldn't comply. I always thought upper mgr were bonused if their district was 100%. Fuck you, ups.

a month ago

• no-capp

another company I worked for gave EVERYONE a $100 dollar gift card, I think it was a sly way of getting their tax write off or whatever lol, dirty sneaky rich people

a month ago

• FrostyLandscape

Go to your state workforce commission and file a formal complaint. Your employer cannot harass you for money for any purpose. On another note, I had a "friend" who used to hit me up for donations for various causes all the time and when I wouldn't give she'd flame me as a bad person. This shitty behavior needs to stop - everywhere

a month ago

• BadMotherFolklore

"Show me their 501(c) annual review and I'll look it over to consider making confidential donations." Where I work, you and your boss would both be in trouble for a bunch of reasons but the quid-pro-quo reward you're describing would never be allowed. Probably legal to do outside of banking & finance but I wouldn't bet on that.

a month ago

• tinkerbellonfire

Wow 😮 is that even legal ? To pressure employees to donate 🤷🏻‍♀️

a month ago

• peonyseahorse

Oh God, I just left a job with a serve serving asshole boss like that. I love your response!

a month ago

• AZRedditKing

Honestly if I was your boss I’d just pay the $1500 out of my pocket for the week of vacation.

a month ago

• IEnjoyFancyHats

This would fit right in at /r/antiwork

a month ago

• Anal-Goblin

Haha, that’s fucking vile. I hope you spread the word about this maggot.

a month ago

• maneki_neko89

I know I’m late to the party, but this story sounds like a Boss Version of [George Costanza creating The Human Fund at work.](https://youtu.be/YwqWbfK9TXA) By the way, Happy Early Festivus for the Rest of Us!!

a month ago

• squidwearsahat

My principal asked all of us teachers to donate to the school for giving Tuesday.

a month ago

• anon343052

Yeah, no. The way it works here, is the employee chooses any 503(c) organization, subject to approval, and donates via payroll deduction, and the employer matches this donation dollar for dollar. Approval is straightforward, they mainly need to demonstrate that there's no conflict of interest or things that aren't allowed like cross border payments, sanctions, etc. Statistics are reported but it's anonymous.

a month ago

• anon343052

Your boss earns less than $1500/week. He's not the "boss" of much, is he?

a month ago

• Stark556

Doesn’t sound like charity it sounds like your paying for his week off lol

a month ago

Jobs For You