Discussion

Boss keeps calling me in the day of?

a month ago

|

Hello, I work at a restaurant as a server almost full time. I know there are going to be times where I am called in etc However, I’m getting asked about a schedule change or called in on the day of at least 2-3 times a week now. It’s not because someone calls out either, it’s due to poor scheduling. I’m starting to get annoyed. I use to respond I will try to be there early, or I can’t because _____. Now I’m just thinking to either respond “I can’t” or wait a couple hours. How to deal with this without causing conflict?

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • EmeraldDenna

Hi. Restaurant manager of 10 years here. I’m guessing your restaurant is either wildly understaffed or just generally poorly run(I’m guessing poorly run based on the schedule comment). For better or worse, You have demonstrated your self as reliable and they will not stop calling you until you demonstrate otherwise. I’m not saying you should compromise your work ethic but you need to have a think about how you want to proceed here. Scenario 1: the restaurant is on the upswing. In this scenario you likely have management that is new to the restaurant. They know there are issues and they are working to resolve them. But what does that look like? Employees are being held accountable for their actions. This means this repeat call outs either stop calling out or stop showing up all together. People might be sent home for uniform or grooming violations or just general under performance. This usually means that it gets harder on front line staff before it gets better. The reliable employees who stick around and provide a good example are PRICELESS for a good manager. Hopefully when the time comes those managers have the presence of mind to reward those employees. Scenario 2: the restaurant has gone to shit and no one is fixing it. This is pretty much the opposite of above. No accountability, no pride. Management is complacent and set in their ways. If this is the case just leave. It’s a coin toss if you want to stick around to see if you’ll be rewarded in scenario 1; scenario 2 is a loose loose situation. Just get out. Edit: typo

a month ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• SimplyASMR

Thank you for your insight on the other side of things: interesting to hear In this case it’s a family owned small restaurant, they don’t really reward employees (sometime do small things for a holiday event) but not anything great for those who are loyal besides give them hours I’m mainly here as transition from college into a full time job. I enjoy serving as well so it’s good for me in the meantime

a month ago

Edit

• andyman234

Just stop picking up the phone. You can even tell them, on my days off I’m not gonna have my phone on me, so please make sure to get the schedule right.

a month ago

Edit

• DVDeveee

You tell him you can’t make it. If he gets antsy and threatens to fire you, you look for another job.

a month ago

Edit

• darrensilk3

If any business threatens you, not only are they are not a serious business, that individual fundamentally does not understand business and would never make it in an professional industry. As I often find; people like that often stay in those roles never going anywhere. They're absolute dead ends, just cut them loose and go elsewhere; find adults, not people cosplaying as adults.

a month ago

Edit

• Vicariouslynoticed

I would make it known that you aren’t available. That seems way too unprofessional! If you lose your job then it’s not a good company to work for.

a month ago

Edit

• WesleyPosvar

boss: "we're short today" OP: "that's crazy. good luck tho~"

a month ago

Edit

• darrensilk3

Literally did this at a retail outlet. They slammed the phone down on me. I just burst out laughing. I turned up the next day I was scheduled in and no one even mentioned it. Assert yourself otherwise they will keep doing it. Your labour isn't guaranteed. It's contractual and therefore conditional upon mutual agreement over its application; when and how. I would have personally made a point that it is incredibly unprofessional to do that. And if they did that in a professional business environment like legal or design profession they would not be around for long. You have to respect people's time away from work, as much as people outside work should respect your time when you are at work.

a month ago

Edit

• FrankCPA

One thing that may be happening is people are calling in due to COVID issues. Either sickness, symptoms, childcare restrictions, or the rest of the long host of problems plaguing the work force now. We are also having problems with people not being able to make it in as often. I would say you have a reputation of being someone who will say yes when you can. Obviously sometimes you can’t, but if there is one person that will say yes often that is the person the manager is likely to call to save time. That’s good for you if you want hours. That’s how I always had more hours when I worked through college too. When you say schedule change, do you mean he is asking you to pick up shifts, and give up shifts so your total stays the same? That’s lame. I’ll just keep the one I was planning for thanks lol. I never had anyone take a shift from me because I am willing to help fill one they need.

a month ago

Edit

• Blight0855

This is bs. I would say bring it up to hr or corporate if you guys have one. But if not just explain to your boss how he would like it if the roles were reversed. You need time off before you get burnt out and want to quit. That’s why people have days off.

a month ago

Edit

• SimplyASMR

Yeah, a lot of times im scheduled for a night shift when it’s already crazy and they call me the morning of to come in during the day 😀 I definitely get burnt out

a month ago

Edit