boss keeps scheduling me outside of my availability

a month ago

|

Pwnytail24

To keep it short, about two months ago, I let my manager know that my availability was going to change, and that I would no longer be able to work Saturdays or Sundays, at first she was okay with this, and I wasn't scheduled for those days anymore, but that only lasted about three weeks, and since then I've been scheduled every weekend, so that's about 5 weeks in a row now. I'm very non-confrontational, and I'm worried that I'll upset her, but this is seriously starting to affect my plans, I rarely get to hang out with friends and family during the week because of school and work, and I needed weekends off to catch up on schoolwork, but now I'm back to working every weekend (which was the case before for 7 months prior to asking her) and I feel like my relationships are getting more distant because I never get to see anyone. This may seem silly, but it's been really stressing me out, I'm always worried that because I don't have free time anymore, I'm going to start drifting from everyone I know, because every time they want to hang out, it sounds like I'm making up excuses when in reality I'm really not.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• StrawberrySox

If people care about you then your work schedule shouldn't interfere with your relationships. That being said, if you put it in writing that you are no longer available on weekends but continue to be scheduled you may want to bring a copy of your letter or email to work and give it to HR or your boss reminding her that after this next weekend you can no longer cover the weekends. You should be ready for push back such as "well you've been working it and no one else can cover." This is not your problem and if she agreed to it previously it's on her as to why she decided to stop. She can also let you go (some bosses are not used to people standing up for themselves, especially if they are young), unless bound by contract no one needs a reason to quit, or let someone go if they change their availability. Let's hope maybe she just thought she could get away with it. Most people aren't confrontational, they also get walked on until they learn no one else will defend them. Best of luck to you.

a month ago

• Pwnytail24

Thank you for the advice, I work at subway so seeing as this is an entry level job, and I'm young, I don't feel like I have much power in the workplace. I know in reality my friends and family would never actually be upset that I have work so much, that's just my anxiety getting to me, but I'd really like to see them more often. I got some advice from a coworker to start putting weekends in the request off book we have, and to add a note as a reminder about my availability, hopefully that will help a bit.

a month ago

• imakeitrainbow

It might help to think about having a conversation with her as just a conversation, rather than as thinking of it as a confrontation. There is nothing negative or confrontational about talking to your boss to get your needs met. I think this is kind of framing is actually how people get kept down, the idea is that if you speak up for yourself, you're somehow forceful or argumentative. The reality is that you can make requests without being confrontational. You can gently remind her that you requested a schedule change a few weeks back, and ask that going forward, you work according to that schedule.

a month ago

• zachmma99

Your availability is YOUR availability. I tell people this all the time. But yeah you have to take responsibility here and let someone know. If you changed it in the system or through writing or whatever then there’s and official document stating your availability. At the end of the day it’s your time and your availability. It doesn’t matter if you can or can’t work it’s your time and your unavailable. Stand up for yourself! Your young and this won’t be your career and it doesn’t matter if it’s your first job you are still entitled to YOUR TIME. It’s great that your a good worker and don’t want to upset anyone but it’s not your responsibility to cover every shift or whatever. You don’t owe them anything and they sure as hell don’t give two shits about you in the grand scheme unfortunately! You’re entitled to your time! Don’t let the system keep you down basically haha.

a month ago

• noteanocoffeenosugar

I think your boss just can’t find anyone who wants to work on weekends and she is picking the more easy-going person, you. I suggest you have an open conversation with her. For example, if she can’t get anyone else on the weekend, she can try increasing the weekend rate or find another person who only do weekends. Don’t be afraid of having conversations like this just because you are young, it will help you to become a more confident and strong person. Worst case, you don’t work at this place anymore but there are similar opportunities elsewhere. If you are really tight with money, then interview other places before having this conversation with your boss.

a month ago

• BashfulBlanket

I would kindly remind her again and then if she keeps rostering you on the weekends. Just don’t show up. Call up and say you aren’t available as you have discussed with your boss and keep repeating it until it gets into their head.

a month ago

• nvdave76

Find a new job that doesn't work weekends.

a month ago

• Pwnytail24

That's a bit too extreme 😅 job searching is pretty difficult at 17, it could take a long time before I found one, and I also would like to take the summer off, so getting a new job for about a month and a half doesn't really make sense.

a month ago

• MitchyMoo6811

bro its simple tell ur boss u aren’t available?!!!!??????????

a month ago

• Pwnytail24

Uh, well yeah I did, that obviously didn't stick. If it was that simple I'm not sure I would have gone to Reddit for help haha...

a month ago

Community Discussions

Jobs For You