Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Company is forcing us to install tracking software on personal phones

25 days ago

|

I just tried to log in to my work email and got a message that I need to install Microsoft Authenticator to log in. I was annoyed that I have to install a work app on my personal phone, but figured it wasn't a big deal. When I tried to sign in, it told me that I need to enable tracking so they can watch me every hour. Bullshit! I reached out to IT and left a message saying I can't run the app because I'm jalbroken. What are the odds I can bypass this invasion of privacy? How can companies get away with this? [proof](https://imgur.com/a/eZ2984F)

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

fish-fucker69420

"Sorry, i am unable to use my personal device for work. Please provide me a suitable company device, thanks."

25 days ago

Edit

Pissedbuddha1

Nah, I wouldn’t let them track me period. When I’m off the clock, I’m off their dime.

25 days ago

Edit

Legitimate-Swim5034

Does the company pay for the phone?

25 days ago

Edit

minorsecond

They do not.

25 days ago

Edit

BusinessForeign7052

What the actual fuck is this shit. No sir. They need to give you a company phone if they want to do this. This is such a mighty invasion of privacy.

25 days ago

Edit

0cleese

Maybe someone wiser than me can answer a follow up question: if a personal phone is used for work, does that then give the employer the right to monitor the phone?

25 days ago

Edit

ahhhhhhfckaz

I am an IT person that sets up work software on our employees phones. But ONLY if they want it. I show them how it works, and I show that IT can not access any personal part of the phone - because that would be me breaching their privacy and I don't want anything to do with their personal data. I also walk them through how to remove it or disable it if they would like, and I show how the work software asks for permissions every single time they want to take something from their personal side and put it on their work side. It does not have the ability to cross worlds unless they hit "yes this is okay this one time" and then upload their photo or whatever. I don't consider monitoring personal data as ethical or acceptable. I hope management/IT elsewhere feels the same. Edit: I forgot to answer the question. Unfortunately it is sorta yes. If you mix work and personal, the lines get blurry unless there are specific policies in place.

25 days ago

Edit

UnderTheFishHook

If you're in the US, specific states mandate different privacy protection laws. Tracking you "every hour" violates those laws because you are not working for you company every hour, just the 40ish hours they require you too. Technically, you are not required to install anything on your phone cause it is YOUR phone. But if you can reach out to HR about this, cite your privacy concerns or just the in general usage of your phone for work purposes when you don't want to, might be an alternative. If that won't work, maybe you can install and uninstall the app every time you have to be at work/working so they don't have access to you out of office hours.

25 days ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

25 days ago

Edit

SmashinCetacean

Get a really cheap smartphone. Install the software on that phone, then never use it. Bill the company for the expenses incurred

25 days ago

Edit

bird_person24

In that case, get a very expensive smartphone

25 days ago

Edit

Guyupnorth231

Gtfo now

25 days ago

Edit

Background_Touchdown

Much in the same way you don't use work devices to conduct personal business, you don't use personal devices to conduct work business. I would tell them unless they're willing to issue me a company phone or purchase my phone and pay my monthly phone bill, they can go fuck off.

25 days ago

Edit

desertbabe8

Uhhh yeah that’s gonna be a no from me dawg 😂

25 days ago

Edit

DLS3141

This is pretty common with BYOD. While I personally agree that they should provide a device for you if they want this kind of security, they're not going to make an exception for you. My advice is to NEVER use your personal device for work. If you have to provide a device, get a cheap prepaid phone and use that. The capabilities and intrusive capabilities of the kind of software employers have their employees install goes far beyond simple location tracking and remote wipe. The software my employer uses can access app or data on the phone, as well as remotely activating the camera and/or mic without any indication on the phone itself. My employer says that they're only going to use the tracking/wipe capabilities in the event the phone is lost or stolen, and I believe them, but many other employers would not act that way. Even though I trust them, I still don't use my personal phone for work. I'm in the US, but my German colleagues don't have this on their phones because it's illegal there. >What are the odds I can bypass this invasion of privacy? 100% just get a cheap prepaid phone that meets the minimum requirements and use that for work. The best part is that when you walk out the door, you can just switch it off and keep it off until you have to work again.

25 days ago

Edit

Skyline952

Tell them to suck it

25 days ago

Edit

gooberts

What kind of job is it by the way? If you don't mind me asking. Sounds like Uber 😅

25 days ago

Edit

minorsecond

A utility company

25 days ago

Edit

The-Beer-Baron

So many people commenting who are not in IT. Your company is not trying to track you 24/7. This is a feature of the Microsoft Authentication app (used for multi-factor authentication) that prevents you from logging in from certain geographical locations. It is a security feature, nothing more, nothing less. [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/user-help-auth-app-faq#:\~:text=A%3A%20You%20will%20see%20a%20prompt%20from%20Microsoft,where%20you%20are%20allowed%20to%20access%20the%20resource](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/user-help-auth-app-faq#:~:text=A%3A%20You%20will%20see%20a%20prompt%20from%20Microsoft,where%20you%20are%20allowed%20to%20access%20the%20resource). Stop being so damn paranoid, people. Edit to add: Q: How is my location information used and stored? A: The Authenticator app collects your GPS information to determine what country you are located in. The country name and location coordinates are sent back to the system to determine if you are allowed to access the protected resource. The country name is stored and reported back to your IT admin, but your actual coordinates are never saved or stored on Microsoft servers.

25 days ago

Edit

livebeta

lol yeah i have multiple authenticator apps so...yup. source: devopsy

25 days ago

Edit

RetiredAerospaceVP

And someone up the food chain actually got paid for this brilliant idea. And people sat around a meeting room congratulating each other on another brilliant idea. Corporate America sucks.

25 days ago

Edit

thejimbo56

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand what Microsoft Authenticator does, though the wording in your screenshot definitely should have been more clear.

25 days ago

Edit

minorsecond

I what 2FA software does. It shouldn't include tracking my location.

25 days ago

Edit

FintechnoKing

Where I work, a work phone will be provided if required for your role. If you want to access work resources on a personal device for your own convenience, your personal device will be required to conform to all the same network policies as a corporate device, up to and including the ability to be remotely disabled/wiped if stolen. So the question is, is your employer requiring you to use a personal phone for work purposes? Or are you merely wanted to do because it’s convenient for e-mail monitoring?

25 days ago

Edit

minorsecond

> is your employer requiring you to use a personal phone for work purposes? I don't use it for work at all. No calls, emails, or anything. The Auth app requirement is new. I complained about it, and others must have too, because they've already rescinded the policy.

25 days ago

Edit

squizzles69

Microsoft Authenticator is a 2FA sign on. I work in IT. It just means it secures an additional sign on so that no one else can sign on to your work email or any other programs you use for work. They are only monitoring your IP to make sure it’s you. And not a hacker trying to steal sensitive work information. It has nothing to do with accessing your phone or information. It’s an additional sign on. You should only have to do it once, when you you sign in the Morning’s. But there are some Instances where you may get booted off your work network and it will ask for a prompt again (or wifi goes down at your place). They are checking only your IP because there are hundreds of attacks on work computers / their servers happening in the background a day (just no one knows that if you don’t work in IT). It’s just an additional security measure and ability to trace where the attacks come from and to block those IPs from any future damage Don’t freak out. Lol

25 days ago

Edit

ProfessorDerp22

Why would they need that on a mobile device when OP logs into their VPN through their personal computer?

25 days ago

Edit

ConfidentCommission5

Well, you're checking your work email, they can implement whichever security measures they deem necessary to secure their webmail/mail servers. **You choose** if you want to comply or not. Ask them to provide you with a company phone or stop accessing the emails from your personal phone. I really don't see the problem here.

25 days ago

Edit

Evening_Salary6880

Fuck them. You need to quit.

25 days ago

Edit

fluteaboo

Can you install it on BlueStacks? 💙

25 days ago

Edit

Tatersalad9151

They need to provide me with a company phone and computer if they are going To ask for such bullshit. There is no way in hell I’m installing crap on my personal devices

25 days ago

Edit

iec96

What company work do you have on your phone?

25 days ago

Edit

iec96

If it's just checking emails then tell them you'll do it on the computer.

25 days ago

Edit

cuco33

No one should be using a personal phone for work unless the job pays something for it. If the company doesn't pay a single penny you tell your boss in the nicest way possible to go fuck off.

25 days ago

Edit

GQManOfTheYear

Tell them to install these nuts to their mouths. Never consent to being tracked on your own personal phones. Even being tracked at all is offensive to most workers.

25 days ago

Edit

DirtyPenPalDoug

Guess you need to look for new work and not install it. Just dont. Do the work you can, if not dont worry. Find another job.

25 days ago

Edit

Whamsies007

Mass quit.

25 days ago

Edit

prncrny

While Lotta "fuck that shit" happening in head for this.

25 days ago

Edit

PracticalMaximum

Yeah ask for company phone if not just tell them to go f themselves politely.

25 days ago

Edit

karolnovak

I wouldn’t go for it. Or you know what. Buy a cheap second phone and leave it at your desk all the time

25 days ago

Edit

Bethjam

Nope. Nope. Nope.

25 days ago

Edit

sjmiv

As far as your company is concerned you have no cell phone. If they want you to use a phone for work, they need to get you a cell phone.

25 days ago

Edit

cashMoney5150

I would contact HR and an labor law attorney. Get a real answer about the legality of this bullshit. Fuck them.

25 days ago

Edit

nLucis

That's illegal af

25 days ago

Edit

Kataphractoi

If a company is going to do this, then it had better be one a company-provided phone. And computers/laptops/tablets. It's BS that they can require you to put tracking software on your personal devices.

25 days ago

Edit

DreadPirateGriswold

Ask them to get you a phone dedicated to work. If you need to use your personal phone so much for work, having a separate phone is justified. And if you have to connect to your network, doing so from a company controlled phone is better for security than sharing your phone on their network.

25 days ago

Edit

MiketheTzar

You have about a 50/50 chance of getting around it. I'm guessing you work out of the office and I'm guessing this app is either tied to your companies communication app or a VPN. If I'm correct then it's within the scope of your employment that they can expect to know your location as are using it to make sure your note doing unauthorized things in the clock. If neither of those things are the case then you have a better chance of not having to use it.

25 days ago

Edit

PushItHard

Sounds like you’re not checking email on your phone any longer.

25 days ago

Edit

Barflyerdammit

Do you work with critical financial, legal, or security data which you can access from your phone?

25 days ago

Edit

ginakato

sounds terrible OP. I have no information or advice about the legality, but if you need an authenticator can you use Duo or some other one that doesn’t track locations?

25 days ago

Edit

Mother_Horse7412

You're all mistaken. The Fed and other regulators have told banks to examine personal devices because regulated work is being done on Whatsapp and other unauthorized apps. Your work has policies (I'm sure) that allow them to track you. You're already being tracked. How long you're trying online... How often you get emails. All that data is there. Companies are combining that data with lots of other info like location etc. Can people resist? Sure. Will there be litigation? Probably. But that won't stop your company from doing what theyre doing now. And Fyi- without knowing your Co I'm sure you policy forbids you to have work related apps on a jailbroken device. That by definition is a huge security breach and you could be terminated just for admitting that.

25 days ago

Edit

Ok_Seaworthiness9339

Quit and sue

25 days ago

Edit

cocky-spaniel

If it’s not important say you don’t have a phone.

25 days ago

Edit

EuropeIn3YearsPlease

Question. If it isn't a company phone (which you indicated it's not a company phone) then just don't use it for work and therefore it can't be considered a work phone? Like don't check emails or anything on it. When you are away from the computer let your icon go yellow... Etc. If they want you to check emails on your off hours they can either give you a phone and pay for it or you can set certain times to log in throughout the day.

25 days ago

Edit

DistinctBook

I worked in a company that you could either use your phone or get a company phone to access email and such. Now we warned the people if you use your personal phone when you leave the company we will send a spike and it will wipe out EVERYTHING on your phone

25 days ago

Edit

Simspidey

This is odd. If the company was paying for the phone, sure whatever it's their property. And it's pretty common for companies to buy employees work phones anyway. ​ Are you required to look at work email on your personal phone? Or do you just do it for your own convenience?

25 days ago

Edit

ivyline2

Purchase a cheap cell phone just for work only. Leave your personal cell phone turned off until you're completely out of sight from the building. At lunch, find somewhere else to talk/text. Otherwise, find another job asap!

25 days ago

Edit

LMShep

What about telling them you don’t have a phone? This is utter nonsense.

25 days ago

Edit

Lil-Zippa

If you are in a right to work state, they can terminate you. We use our phones, internet and no one pays for crap. Hell, I can’t get kosher food per diem loot.

25 days ago

Edit

noonaslayer

Is this even legal? especially on the things you own? leave asap lmao.

25 days ago

Edit

areraswen

Your options are likely to either accept it or not long in using your personal device. Request a company phone if you feel email access on your phone is necessary. I understand this is unsettling to some, but sometimes this level of protection is necessary depending on the type of business you're in and the type of data you have access to.

25 days ago

Edit

Wonderful__

I wonder if this is just a setting? I have this app installed for 2FA for the VPN and it doesn't track me every hour. Tell IT to disable the tracking feature! Edit: You can probably turn off your location.

25 days ago

Edit

Revan_4653

This is such a violation of privacy, and they don’t even pay for these phones, they can fuck right off.

25 days ago

Edit

ILOVEMCU

Why are you using your personal phone for work? I would never do that in the first place.

25 days ago

Edit

RDPCG

I'd love to know the legalities behind forcing employees to install tracking software on a personal device that the company does not reimburse the employees for. Also, I'm pretty sure different states have different rules about this sort of intrusion.

25 days ago

Edit

Prince-Otter

there is a free solution to this, if you have a laptop/pc install an android emulator like bluestack or memu, then install that app on the android emulator.

25 days ago

Edit

bw1739

As a business owner, with employees all working in multiple locations, I would NEVER even suggest this. My employees that need a phone for their job are provided one from the company. I do communicate with some employees on their personal phone, but, I give them a reimbursement each week of $20. Just to make sure we can communicate during the day of needed. Maybe, if one went missing or something like an emergency situation it could come in handy. But, I don't have the time, desire, or any reason to track any of them. And wouldn't allow anyone to track me. Especially during off hours. That's invasion of privacy.

25 days ago

Edit

fish_in_the_perc

This is completely just a guess, but this might be an overzealous IT manager. I took over for a previous IT manager at my company and discovered he was reading everyone’s emails, including the owner, without anyone’s knowledge. Your first step should be asking your direct manager of this is company policy or an IT department with a god complex.

25 days ago

Edit

Dazzling-String-9428

They you need to tell them you don't have a personal phone.

25 days ago

Edit

WestFast

I don’t have email on my phone for this reason. My IT guy was shocked when he asked if I wanted it set up. I was like “nope I’m good” LoL

25 days ago

Edit

jbarn02

Is this TJX?

24 days ago

Edit

International_Row601

Always always always have a separate phone for work especially with mdm.

24 days ago

Edit

TheEclipse0

Yeah, No. I would never allow anywhere that I work at to have this kind of access to my personal device, even if the information they can get is limited. If they provide the device, that’s a different story. But not anything I bought and paid for with my own money.

24 days ago

Edit

Kfct

Microsoft authenticator is the same as google authenticator, for 2fa Honestly everyone should be enabling 2fa

24 days ago

Edit

Heavyoak

that's not what the normal stock MS auth looks or acts like. they either have a modded copy or reskinned something else.

24 days ago

Edit

NorthKoreanJesus

When I had to use Msft Authenticator, I used an old device. I know it's not an option for all users but I was able to get by without it on my phone. Msft Auth is very invasive

24 days ago

Edit

palashgdev

You can keep two phones one from company and other one your personal I you want

24 days ago

Edit

torreneastoria

Hmm well if you have an old phone laying around it can work fine for this purpose. Install app on it. Log into email. Leave old phone with desk

24 days ago

Edit

nokenito

I used to used my personal phone for everything. They pulled this crap. I said give me a work phone and I will install it on that. So I got a company cell phone.

24 days ago

Edit

monkeyonthesideline

I worked in Healthcare and if an employee wanted to participate in BYOD, we required it as well.

24 days ago

Edit

gaffious232

Its not their property

24 days ago

Edit

Ghost_Lee_VII

If police officers need body cameras, so does everyone else.

25 days ago

Jobs For You