Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Does anyone else detest uploading your resume and then having to type out all your experiences again?

4 months ago

|

They ask for a resume/cv and then a cover letter. I upload both. I switch to the next page and then it says “Please input all work experience starting with your most recent” and it annoys me to the point where I exit out because I can’t be asked in that moment (I end up reluctantly doing it hours later though) Can someone tell me what the point in this is?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

billcosbyinspace

The worst is when it auto fills badly so then not only do I have to add in all my experience it missed, but I also need to reformat the stuff it caught

4 months ago

Edit

Scottie3Hottie

This! Legitimately discourages me from applying. Fucking infuriating.

4 months ago

Edit

SittingOnTheSide

I have a resume especially formatted for cut and pasting like this. It’s double and triple spaced to allow for easy grabbing. It reduces my application times to only a few minutes each.

4 months ago

Edit

MarchesaCasati

Say more...

4 months ago

Edit

WashAutomatic1221

Frustrates the hell out of me. I then back out a few applications after seeing that.

4 months ago

Edit

Ponklemoose

I wonder if this is a feature rather than a bug. Assuming they are getting enough applicants it might be helpful to pre-screen out the ones who are not especially serious and/or motivated. If you're not willing to jump through pointless hoops, you might want a material raise or other inducement to make the switch.

4 months ago

Edit

MysteryRaw

I literally HATE it too, Either ask me for my CV or to fill in this stupid questions and I don’t know which one is the worst. I hate applying for jobs, it takes so much time for such few outcome.

4 months ago

Edit

RagingHomo_DaPenis

and they dont even bother to send out a courtesy email when we're not considered. much worse, after we have an interview or multiple. we put in time, at least give us something.

4 months ago

Edit

Cryonix92

The best part about it is when you fill out several and still hear nothing back.

4 months ago

Edit

look_left_quick

Ahhh yes, the great ATS system. Kicking out candidates for not having the correctly guessed key words.

4 months ago

Edit

VeldtRevengeance

Weird how there still hasn't been a standardized system put in place by now

4 months ago

Edit

vampslayer53

Why would they? Nobody cares to make it easier on the people looking for jobs only on employers.

4 months ago

Edit

SerendipityLurking

Honestly, I don't bother if I can't autofill. Some employers re getting smarter and allowing you to use a previous application, which is nice because you can still upload your most recent resume and tweak your most recent position as needed. However, if I have to go through and I cant 1) tab through sections 2) nothing autofills, I exit out. Not only is there a slim chance my resume gets through the stupid algorithm, but even after that, will I make it to a hiring manager?? I switched to strictly linkedin networking and applications. I do inmail, I do message, I do connect, and I've gotten more visibility in the last 2 weeks of applying to OUT OF STATE jobs than I have applying to local jobs for the past few months (with previous method). Granted, the process is still slow and I still have to go through all the typical screenings and phone interviews, but I feel like I have more of a shot now.

4 months ago

Edit

Cocomojo2

A buddy of mine said to beat the algorithm just copy and paste the key job words for the application and put them in white(in the background or something). Algorithm picks up on what they want and then they only read what you want!

4 months ago

Edit

hypnofedX

I actually spend more time and energy on these applications because I assume this significantly reduces the number of people applying.

4 months ago

Edit

MarchesaCasati

Curious- what are your results with that theory?

4 months ago

Edit

AdonisGaming93

They do it for the AI. The uploaded resume is good, but if they can also get it input individually then they have all the data they need to just have a robot decide they won't hire you before a human has to see your resume.

4 months ago

Edit

crying-partyof1

Ugh this is the most time-consuming part of every app. Even if it auto fills from my resume, it’s always wrong so I have to spend time moving info around

4 months ago

Edit

MysteryRaw

Exactly, Or the sentences don’t make sense at some point in the stanza or whatever but you always end up having to edit it.

4 months ago

Edit

Ash_Fire

The answer is the Applicant Tracking System (ATS). That system will read your materials, looking for important things like match job titles, key words, etc. and some times rank each applicant based on the matches it's finding. There are certain formats that are easier to read than others when it comes to parsing your resume into their system (though the preferred formats generally fall into .doc, .docx, .pdf). However, the system is better if they have your version of your resume if/when it makes it to human eyes. Luckily, it seems most ATS have included updates that automate parsing. Lately, I've been finding those companies that don't automatically parse my resume have other red flags too, and try not to spend too much time or thought on them. If they can't be fussed to update their ATS software, what else are they letting slide? Jobscan seems to be the stronger resume scanner online right now to help strategize around ATS, but I also like resymatch from cultivated culture too.

4 months ago

Edit

urgnuinlyreal100

Yes!

4 months ago

Edit

lovetoreadeatsleep

Hi, Yes, I never saw the point of doing that either! It should be either or...not both!

4 months ago

Edit

depewzhang

Always! Stupid!

4 months ago

Edit

AffectionateAnarchy

Yeah, at least I can copy paste the description and duties but its still such a pain in the ass

4 months ago

Edit

vampslayer53

What about on Indeed where it says apply using your Indeed resume only for you to then be told you have to go apply on the company site?

4 months ago

Edit

pegasus_y

it's definitely something that's not very logical, since writing down the experiences required them to read it, uploading the CV will also require them to read it as well (talking from the employer's perspective), so why type the same things that's already on the CV? 🤔🤔🤔

4 months ago

Edit

kryswhit

I always thought converting to PDF would solve having to re-enter my information, not the case.

4 months ago

Edit

StupidFlandrs

I always thought there should be a legally enforced standard or something for resume submission and company response times.

4 months ago

Edit

livebeta

I hate it. I'll never work at a company that makes me waste my time this way.

4 months ago

Edit

Band1c0t

Yea usually I never fill that out, it's pointless

4 months ago

Edit

thelotusknyte

It's a high level of bullshit. If they want info that's not typical of resumes that's one thing, but for the love of the Employment Gods, please just read the goddamn resume or do better parsing. I literally stop filling out applications that do this.

4 months ago

Edit

AGuyFromLA

Yes, I just skip applying for those jobs unless its an incredibly unique job

4 months ago

Edit

ModBotsMayBiteMyButt

This all comes from the mentality that "our company is unique" so you need to take your time filling the application. In reality it's just another application in 10/day an individual does.

4 months ago

Edit

proofredditt

I sometimes don’t fill it out and just find another opportunity

4 months ago

Edit

bloopybear

It makes me physically angry when I have to do that. The best is when it uploads, but will do random caps and lower case, so you have to type it out after all. The woooooooorst.

4 months ago

Edit

AaronIsTheWalrus

It's part of the interview process in and of itself. It's a way to separate those who are willing to trudge through the superfluous from who just want to click "submit" and walk away. Also, they're looking for consistency.

4 months ago

Edit

bigblackshaq

When it doesn’t autofill, it gives me a rough idea about the company in general. You have to remember while you are filing an application to apply, you will also be interviewing the company if they invite you for an interview. If they can’t even sort the simplest thing of auto filling from a standardised format of resume in word/PDF, oftentimes I just go to the next one

4 months ago

Edit

babajan88

Nah man ur the only weirdo who hates it. Everyone else loves doing unnecessary tasks.

4 months ago

Edit

kazmos30

As someone who works in the HR tech space, you would be surprised how bad many resumes are. They do their best to interpret the data and find related terms (cell-mobile-phone) but can only do so much. Here are some tips to have your resume parse better: Use .docx over PDF Avoid special characters or unique resume templates Make sure you are using a common font (check Google Fonts for free fonts those are generally safe bets) Use commas instead of dashes Put your current job at the top of your work history Save the objective for your cover letter

4 months ago

Edit

hombregato

No. Everybody loves that.

4 months ago

Edit

Farren246

No, we all love doing that. It's so gratifying to know that the company not only wants to know all about your relevant experience and education that they ask you for it twice.

4 months ago

Edit

hawking061

I have never had any successful uploads of my resume to any job sites or software... so frustrating... redundant. Some might get a few titles correct and dates from time to time but yeahh that is about it. Rest is dog shit.... basically start from scratch. Can’t understand how these big companies can’t afford basic software?! Seems the bigger the more backward their websites are. The biggest issue.... the software/ website/ browser compatibility crashes mid way you inputting a gd novel LOL. I have now learned to stop copy and paste to notes or something every so often because it’s going to happen... you tap the corner of your screen by accident and BAMMM ITS ALL GONE ?! Then there is the ones that want both ... same exact information but both .... Here in Canada if a place actually accepts physical resumes ( rare) they don’t just accept your resume ... arghh!. You must fill out their paper application as well which is an exact duplicate of your own. Except THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NEVER ENOUGH SPACE BY A LONG SHOT TO PUT THE INFO THEY ARE REQUESTING ( on resume ) hahah. Like the length of a finger for two words of say how you would handle this or simple reprint of your experience. Dunno. Seems like the definition of insanity

4 months ago

Edit

ImportantKnee

Yes and from all of this I’ve learned ultipro is the best at reading my resume lol

4 months ago

Edit

TaxProBrandon

yes yes yes!

4 months ago

Edit

WorldAlien

I hate it with all my soul!

4 months ago

Edit

papayatwentythree

I've had this happen with academic jobs too. So you get to fill in all your publications, talks, grants, etc. by hand in addition to your work experience.

4 months ago

Edit

ron_swansons_hammer

Yes, literally everyone. This gets talked about endlessly on /r/Jobs

4 months ago

Edit

McNasty420

They are using cheap ATS's that can't parse a resume properly.

4 months ago

Edit

doggolobbo

Yess! I usually just copy and paste off my resume. Then you get to the interview and they ask you again, so annoying!

4 months ago

Edit

Shibby_Geo

No we all love it?! Of course everyone fucking hates it

4 months ago

Edit

ichellemay007

YES! SO. MUCH. YES.

4 months ago

Edit

tang123

nope, everyone on this sub loves it, that's why the question posted 6 times per week

4 months ago

Edit

Phocused

If it it doesn’t transpose correctly, I delete everything and type, “see resume”, when applicable

4 months ago

Edit

Gemdiver

Uploading a resume and then having to type out your info is set up this way specifically for HR. What is do is only fill out the previous employer name and if the rest of the fields allow it I type in see attached resume.

4 months ago

Edit

BossManZombie

What I hate most is updating resume on Novoresume which makes you pay $17 to do minor changes and download it.

4 months ago

Edit

MaterialCandidate899

Just do it. I know it sucks but it’s required.

4 months ago

Edit

Anxious-Custard6208

theory: i think they do this because the software they use to sort and filter the resumes is only able to do its job correctly when the information is entered directly into their server and cant read PDFs or other documents etc. They aren't going to have a person go through 100+ resumes so they rely on the software to filter the resumes based off of keywords and how many times they show up and then cut down the number of resumes to a reasonable ammunt that a person can actually go through by hand.

4 months ago

Edit

peepoook

Yes. Some websites will scrape info from your resume and prepopulate some fields. It really seems to be just unnecessary extra work to save HR more time to look at Facebook or some shit.

4 months ago

Edit

depressive-nihilism

Super infuriating. I also hate those jobs which require me to fill in application forms but don't ask for resume or CV. I rather send my resume in and save the trouble of excessive paperwork.

4 months ago

Edit

Upstairs-Painting51

So annoying and then on the application they say they don’t discriminate race or gender well that’s not true. I am not a us citizen , I am a permanent resident and I believe they judge me on that. I’m working on becoming a us cotizen though. ![gif](giphy|crXSXOeomKnjqpZlvW)

4 months ago

Edit

thirteenaowls

Oh my god, exhausting

4 months ago

Edit

introverted_llamao_0

Yes!!! Especially when I am being redirected from a jobsite that has all my info perfectly because I have spent hours meticulously going through it. Then it redirects to the employers site and I have to do it ALLL again lol.

4 months ago

Edit

neon-neko

I just upload the resume and skip typing it out again. Worked fine for me when I was looking for jobs in the past.

4 months ago

Edit

Rek-n

Welcome to the 21st century. It happens so often I am numb to it.

4 months ago

Edit

my-penisgrantswishes

No its just you...

4 months ago

Edit

Substantial_Term7608

That’s the point. If you can’t fill out one thing twice, then how can they expect you to perform even the simplest repetitive job related tasks without complaint?

4 months ago

Edit

blackmambaza

Absolutely. I've shutdown browser windows and skipped those jobs if I had come across portals that want you to type out your entire resume into the boxes, like wtf this is 2021.

4 months ago

Jobs For You