Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

Does anyone else get anxious about references when accepting a new job?

16 days ago

|

I can provide the references they require... I think but the thought of my new employer contacting them makes me anxious. Does anyone else experience this anxiety?

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • JzOzuna

It's normal to feel that way because you don't want to bother those who can be your references and you may not want to explain to other people that you're applying to a new job.

15 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• ThinkInPink18

I do, just because I hate asking people to give me a reference. I don't want to bother them and make them go out of their way for me. I wish you could have your reference write something once and get it signed and certified and then you send it in with all your applications instead of asking people every single time you interview.

15 days ago

Edit

• ExtractorFan3

I have 1 reference like that from a CEO and they still want to contact them directly. I didn't give them the CEO contact info just their HR department so they can basically send that signed reference again directly to them ( shows I didn't fake it I guess) The other reference I included I haven't spoken to for 2 years it should be fine though because I got on well with my manager there and worked well. It just fills me with anxiety like I've lied or something even though I haven't lied.

15 days ago

Edit

• DexterityZero

Yes, what helped me is reaching out to ask the people I was listing to ask there permission. They were really great and encouraging. It also gives them a heads up to answer the phone.

15 days ago

Edit

• SongbirdNews

Always talk to your references. Tell them about the job and company so they can give better information

15 days ago

Edit

• MoConcepts

If you are anxious about one of your referees being contacted, maybe you shouldn't have them at all. If you had a good working relationship with them and you contact them prior to putting them as referees on your CV, then you have nothing to worry about. You could also just have a **REFEREE** section and populate it with "Upon request." Feel free to check out my profile for a free guide on CV writing. Wish you the best.

15 days ago

Edit

• Desertbro

Nah...I don't have references any more. My career died 10 years back, and I stopped adding references to my resume notes 7 or 8 years ago. I have a few people I can list, but even those I haven't worked with for over 5 years and don't have constant contact. They don't know what in blazes I do any more, just that I was a "good guy" back in the day. Then again, I'm not applying to career positions any more. I don't believe any of my references has given me a bad rating, or told of any massive screw-ups on my part - perhaps because there haven't been any massive screw-ups. On a more ancient side-note, a friend of mine went to work at a nuclear facility in the early 90s. I got a visit from the NSA - humungus badge thrust in my face and a half-hour discussion. Friend was a stereotypical tech/geek/nerd with weak social skills. So the worst I could have possibly said was he was gonna use all his sick leave. He wasn't a security threat or a drunkard, or a druggie, or prone to violent outbursts.

15 days ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job