Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Don’t waste my time to find out it pays near minimum wage!

4 months ago

|

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

izitfriday

Can relate! I really think job postings should post the minimum so you don’t waste your time interviewing/applying if it’s low pay for picky requirements

4 months ago

Edit

lmnopq13

Fun fact. Colorado passed this as a law and now remote work companies are avoiding hiring from CO.

4 months ago

Edit

BarrattG

In the future ask for the pay bracket, if the job was forecast to be $22 an hour, and you say 'I want $17 guaranteed' they'll give you $17.

4 months ago

Edit

Layfitness

You know how to play the game

4 months ago

Edit

celliconquista

I can’t afford to choose anymore. I’m running out of money for the basics now. This is the shit they want you to go through and I’m very angry about it.

4 months ago

Edit

Mom2leopold

This internet stranger hopes something good comes your way soon. 💖⚡️

4 months ago

Edit

Lakersrock111

I think many of us can relate to Ryan!

4 months ago

Edit

Sumbooodie

I'm not getting off the couch for less than $20.. bare minimum.

4 months ago

Edit

Derock85

Nothing wrong with getting the basic pay minimum out of the way. You need to get paid what you need to get paid.

4 months ago

Edit

Setting_Pleasant

We got bills to pay man

4 months ago

Edit

grizz07

Had a phone interview for a credit analyst position with a no name bank. I'm in CO so they have to post the range in the job (which was 40-60k). Guy went on a sales pitch about the company and it finally came to salary expectations. Recruiter tells me that for a fresh out of college graduate like me, the range is 40-50k, which is less than what I make in my role now. Told the recruiter I would need at least 55k to make it worth my time. Never heard back. Fucking slumlords

4 months ago

Edit

SufficientMemory8405

Isn't this still against the law in CO if they post a range and tell you a different range because you're a new college grad? That tells you about them. You'll find something better. Good luck!

4 months ago

Edit

j-hank

I'm curious what job you were applying for

4 months ago

Edit

bitetheboxer

You should be more curious about where they are.

4 months ago

Edit

Dabasacka43

Glad to know I’m not the only one who keeps it straight snd real with these employers

4 months ago

Edit

Yjytrash01

Yeah, I did this to a recruiter when she said that the offer pays at $200/ month. I declined because I'm already earning at $500/month from my former job and a salary downgrade is the least thing that I need right now. I have bills and expenses to pay, I ain't settling down for less.

4 months ago

Edit

MillenniumGreed

200 a MONTH?

4 months ago

Edit

yggdrasila

Yep I’m swinging on the first phone screening if they didn’t post the pay range I’m asking and if they really don’t wanna tell me I’m swinging high like I’m skipping to work if they pay me the amount I name. Good luck fellow job seekers.

4 months ago

Edit

ShadoowManX

They never want to answer the question about minimum wages because they know they won't get people to work. People need hire pay to sustain help themselves. Either cut out the bullshit and be honest, or don't be surprised when you don't get anyone to work for you.

4 months ago

Edit

Living_Ad_2141

I apply for jobs, some of which I’m perfect for, get no call backs, but get calls from recruiters about jobs where they want me to take a 25% pay cut and lose my benefits. When I do get interviews, they are for the jobs I probably shouldn’t have applied for because they weren’t good fits, and then they seem to expect me to somehow gloss over that entirely with my interview performance, while they’re making it clear that that is an impossible feat.

4 months ago

Edit

dalej42

I’d think for a job at the $17 range, there really isn’t much flexibility on the pay and this since they couldn’t even meet that, it was right to take himself out of consideration early

4 months ago

Edit

Bitcoacher

I feel you. I’m a freelance writer and most clients want to pay peanuts for work (and they often won’t tell you until you’ve interviewed). Meanwhile, rent costs $2,000 and you’ve got all of the living essentials to take care of. The cost of living is rising while companies are paying us less and less

4 months ago

Edit

truckinmama2001

While pocketing more. It's disgusting.

4 months ago

Edit

thesupersoap33

Them: okay have a great day Ryan. You: fuck yourself, Steve. And lose my number.

4 months ago

Edit

my_research_account

This sounds like a really good way to miss out on at least as many desirable interviews as it saves time preventing undesirable ones. I know if I were the one in charge of setting up interviews, I'd probably have said 'good day' just from the sound of potential belligerence, even if the position was starting at $25. The *concept* has some merit, but the delivery is very probably going to be a turn-off to a lot of people. Mostly, I suspect this would be far better spoken than typed because so much nuance is lost in simple text, so one would need to make up for the lack of ability to impart vocal tone and cadence by utilizing careful word choice. "I don't want to waste your time if you don't meet my condition" can easily sound more like a threat than an attempt at consideration.

4 months ago

Edit

Mom2leopold

I honestly think it’s fine. It would be a different matter if so many companies didn’t have a history of lowballing candidates or paying a barely survivable wage, but that’s not the world we live in. Ryan didn’t use disrespectful or obscene language; he in fact framed it as not wanting to waste *their* time. So many companies now also require multiple interviews for the same job that I don’t blame Ryan for wanting to cut his losses.

4 months ago

Edit

TX_Godfather

This is based on the assumption of no college degree or prior marketable skills, but I have some suggestions. Truckers get paid well. I would also advise looking into working on an oil rig. You may consider trade school for lucrative careers like becoming a plumber, welder, or electrician. Good Luck mate!

4 months ago

Edit

littleone103

I love seeing people advocate for the trades! I have a Masters degree, still owe $10,000 in student loans almost a decade after graduating, and I actually make $7 less an hour than my husband who dropped out of college to pursue an apprenticeship in a trade. Not only does he make good money doing what he does, but he learned such valuable information and skills that we save thousands every year as homeowners, because he understands enough about the way things work to fix them without having to hire a “professional”. I love it!

4 months ago

Edit

DrowningInPhoenix

I don't know. I think you might shoot yourself in the foot with this strategy. If they're offering less than 17 you save yourself some time, but if they're offering more than 17 you just told them that you can be bought for less.

4 months ago

Edit

Leolily1221

If everyone did this for the next month...it would be really interesting to see what would happen.

4 months ago

Edit

edgyb67

ya and $ 32,000 a year could probably just get you a small place to live and maybe a car payment. Imagine if they offered medical and dental that would really suck.

4 months ago

Edit

HOOP435

![gif](giphy|QxHQ4BtLeEGBlWIFTs|downsized)

4 months ago

Edit

atheist-Allah

I think what you're asking for is reasonable, but the timing was off. After you provide the facts and experiences"resume" at the -interview- and put it on the table you can proceed and call them out. Arrogance is never your friend specifically your !future boss!

4 months ago

Edit

Renounce__darkness

True, but look at it this way. You go through that entire speal (10-40 minute of super personal questions) only to be told the job pay is less then $15. That is 40 minutes which you could of been applying for instead. He should of called first and asked about the pay bracket, then if they refuse to tell him the pay bracket then he should either politely decline the offer, or say his amount he wants. This is information they should tell you, if they aren't going to even tell you this information then why would you want to work for them?

4 months ago

Edit

Mobden3

I personally would try to be more nonchalant with it, like one guy said, ask about the pay range/pay bracket for the average person in that position. With that being said, if i cant find the salary ranges either on the employers job posting or online, i personally refuse to apply tp that job

4 months ago

Edit

tips_

Actually, this was a bad move on your part. I can see your understanding in wanting to avoid wasting time if the pay didn’t match what you wanted, however the job seeking process is this way for a reason. Generally, the hiring manager in the interview would discuss the pay rate. Not this HR, recruiter, or whoever you were speaking to here. You eliminated your self with your perceived attitude for no reason.

4 months ago

Edit

nilla-wafers

Or companies could just put the approximate/expected pay range on the job site/application. It’s only this way because people try to justify redundant bureaucracy. Why would I want to work for a company that won’t even give the recruiter information about potential pay?

4 months ago

Edit

VeeRook

As a secretary, I set up some interviews for my director. I honestly had no idea was pay was, HR handled that. Someone did ask once, I said it's handled by HR so she declined an interview. If she hadn't went straight for a denial, I would've seen what I could've done. Maybe give HR a call and ask for a range I could've given her. Maybe they wouldn't give me one, but I'd still give it a shot. This scheduler didn't seem to want to try.

4 months ago

Edit

GLight3

Why didn't you tell her that you could have seen what you could have done? You gave her a dismissive answer by telling her it's handled by HR and then failing to mention that maybe you can do something. Why should she waste her time (and your company's) by going to an interview before knowing basic info like this, which could have (should have) been provided before anyone applied in the first place.

4 months ago

Edit

Gaz142

USA salaries are too much :D 17/h is more than avg 0 to 5 year experinced engineer hourly rate in my country.

4 months ago

Edit

Ecstatic-Ad6730

Bro got offered 2 positions this week where they waited to tell me wages when they made the offers smh

4 months ago

Edit

Sufficient_Training6

Tell Um.

4 months ago

Edit

Recruiter4theppl

By law in some states they have to tell you the approved pay range for a role. So when they ask what you’re looking to make just ask what they’re looking to pay. Nobody starts the process without a window. It’s part of the approval process and they should have that info before they start reaching out to candidates. Unless it’s a recruiting agency. They may want to withhold that info since they have multiple clients and can place you in a variety of roles.

4 months ago

Edit

noodlebball

At least they are honest with you. Win win for both

4 months ago

Edit

ikalwewe

In Japan the salaries are usually posted. If they are not then I suspect it's under market rate.

4 months ago

Edit

mrschaney

It used to be that it was standard to not ask about pay until a job is offered. I see that most younger applicants want to discuss pay right off and it puts the hiring manager off. Waste their time? They are doing their job, you aren’t wasting time.

4 months ago

Edit

Mom2leopold

“Younger people these days” want that because wages haven’t kept up with inflation, we have astronomical student debt, and the gig economy and the penchant for short-term contracts with no benefits are destroying pensions and security.

4 months ago

Edit

MouthBweether

Employers get sketchier every year.

4 months ago

Jobs For You