Discussion

Had an uncomfortable interview this week with a rude interviewer. Feel free to share your frustrations here too

a month ago

|

It was a final-stage interview. Dude was late, which I was totally fine with given that he had a tight schedule. The interview started off very weirdly. I could tell that he seemed irritated and uninterested. I got flashbacks from the interview with my ex-company, which I had left due to the insane hours and mismanagement. I had a similar interviewer with a nasty attitude, tells you a lot about the culture. Anyway, back to this guy. He needed to know all my schooling history, from elementary up to university. I even had to explain why my grades had fallen. (I admit, I should have considered withdrawing from the interview at this point) But I foolishly continued entertaining the dude. He even got as far as to push me to explain specifically what "health issue" I had encountered. The interviewers I came across usually tip-toe around this question as they understood that medical history is one's privacy. Yeah, I suffered from depression. I understand if he thinks that my personality would not fit the team and the "fast-paced work environment", but at least send the message across with some manners. Idk. At one point I started to understand that this interviewer in front of me hated his life. He complained about the work-life but always wrapped up his mini vent sessions with an optimistic note. People with a horrible work life usually try to justify those hours by thinking they are doing it for growth and a greater good. Everyone has their own beliefs, and I admire the resilience of those who can survive overtime. But I also know that it is not for me. Well, looks like I have to go back to the job search. Tbh I am burning out a little from months of applications, assessments, interviews and rejections. I went through one screening and another 1-hour case study to reach this final stage and I got treated like crap. In the end, the interviewer apologized for being late. Totally missed the point. I don't care that you were running late or something. Please, treat other human beings decently. It will affect your company's image. Sorry, just needed to vent. Edit: I did not expect the number of responses... and thanks for the awards T\^T I can't reply to every comment but I read them all. For the jobseekers, let's hang in there, a better opportunity will come by. (Sometimes I think I still have to improve my mental resilience. I usually try to understand that maybe the interviewer just had a bad day (like my ex-boss), but interrogating about health and irrelevant grades were simply a no-no.) Thanks again for those who left informative and reassuring comments or are kind enough to share their stories, it really made my day. I didn't sleep much last night as I was crying lmao. Much love <3

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • Papabearto2

I had a second interview a few weeks ago in which the interviewer said he had no idea the company was creating the position I was interviewing for and that it was “just dumped on his lap” that morning. He kept saying how he didn’t know anything about the position or what the role would entail, couldn’t answer any questions, and seemed absolutely disinterested in anything I was saying. Finally he ended it and as he was walking me out I thanked him for taking the time to meet with me and said I hoped to hear from him soon. His response? “Yeah I wouldn’t count on it. I don’t think the company needs anybody in this position and I’m on my way to tell the owner that now.” Awesome. Worst interview I’ve ever been on, hands down.

a month ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• Fluffy305

Its better you didn't. Imagine how disorganized they would be with you. You deserve better.

a month ago

Edit

• inuksuk123

I feel your pain. I hate being interviewed. I don't believe it is legal to ask about health issues, unless you require special accommodations.

a month ago

Edit

• alaskankiwi

even then, as I understand the accommodations needed shouldnt be brought up at the interview

a month ago

Edit

• Chamberlain143

Before bringing dogs to work was a thing, a company that was trying to be edgy had their dogs with them everyday in the office. The head of HR brought her dog into the interview and it jumped on me the whole time. It was a medium sized dog and she laughing the whole time at “how cute” she thought her dog was behaving. I look down, my nicest suit pants are completely covered in dog hair. I failed the interview miserably and I’m glad I did. She even told me how bad I sucked and that I looked and seemed stressed out. You think???? My friend that worked there at the time said they fired her shortly after my interview. I emailed her boss and let him know what I thought of the experience. It was so unprofessional.

a month ago

Edit

• MagikSkyDaddy

Totally unprofessional AND bad dog owner etiquette.

a month ago

Edit

• SydneyCrawford

I once had a phone interview where it felt/sounded like the interviewer was openly mocking me in their tone of voice. He would repeat part of what I had said as if he had taken a “this is how to make it sound like you’re listening” course, but his tone would be condescending and sarcastic. By the end of the interview I was so pissed off I just didn’t care anymore.

a month ago

Edit

• riricide

I had a undergrad teacher like that who repeated answers in a mocking way. Since we had repeated contact with her we we knew that that's her personality, not unintentional social gaffe. Anyway, years later she tried to ask my classmate for a job in his company. He obviously declined. Point is, interviewers should not look upon interviewees as less than, because it might come back to bite them down the line.

a month ago

Edit

• WhenYouKnowTheReason

Worst interview I ever had was...8 years ago. At the end of the interview the guy said to me "I'd love to hire you, but I think you're too fat and not good looking enough. I need my guys to make an immediate, great first impression and only really good looking people do that. So, can't hire you. Sorry. " I was absolutely gutted, and there was no way I could prove that was his reason for not hiring me so no legal recourse. Jokes on him though, thinking back on it I'd have hated the job (though likely been quite good at it) and would have left within several months.

a month ago

Edit

• Ms-Anon-Y-Mous

Sorry you went through that.

a month ago

Edit

• BlackDogMagPie

I have two bad interview stories one involves the interviewer slurping a smoothie and the other one made me cry. I interviewed with some kind of technology company for an admin/website content editor role but I couldn’t take the interviewer seriously because she was loudly slurping a smoothie the whole time. The other interview was right around the time my dad was seriously ill and in the ICU. My current employer was bullying me about it. The interviewer asked me a question that triggered a ton of emotions and next thing I know I am crying on the spot. The interviewer starts complaining about how this was the worst interview he ever experienced. It took me a few minutes to recover. Unfortunately this company keeps interview records so when I try to reinterview for other roles the interviewers bring up what happened and make me feel unqualified. Clearly this situation was usual but why continue to bully a candidate that was under extreme stress?

a month ago

Edit

• toracat17

Unacceptable. I’m so sorry you experienced that.

a month ago

Edit

• OverTheHillSkater

Always remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Sounds like you avoided a bad situation. I had a similar final round experience this week. I came away thinking, do I see any chance of working with one of the 5 interviewers (it was a 6 hour ordeal)? I was actually relieved that the answer was a no. And I am 10 months unemployed. But there is truly no worse experience (to me) than a toxic work environment. I spent two years stressed out and ending my hour long commute despondent and sometimes sobbing uncontrollably for 20 minutes before rushing to the washroom and regain my composure for the day. I will not compromise my health or my family for some f’d up work environment. Ever. again.

a month ago

Edit

• wildborbsunlimited

I've been sobbing because I've had some pretty toxic interactions with hiring managers and recruiters as of late, but I've only been unemployed for 6 months. I think I'm too stressed and tired at this point, but I really appreciate the perspective of your comment - you are in this far longer than me but still able to stick to your guns! I'm just melting down at this point freaking out about how I'm never going to get hired again; I've had some decent jobs in the past, so I have experience, and I get managers either telling me I have great experience (and then not hiring me) or that it sucks.

a month ago

Edit

• Ad-Alert

When I interviewed for my current position in the Washington DC area, it was a 3 person panel interview. The position was an internal but diagonal move for me, and I got along great with the manager and team members, but the interview panel was 3 people I'd never met before. One of the guys was really rude in a strange way. I'm originally from Texas, but I'd been working in a small town in New England for 3 years. This guy kept bringing up the fact that I was from Texas as a reason he didn't think I could "keep up" with the pace of work in DC. I don't remember exact wording, but he kept emphasizing my hometown in Texas (pop: 60,000) and the town I'd worked at in New England (pop: 35,000) and asking why, with that history, I thought I could "cut it" as a federal contractor. I tried to redirect him politely a few times, and then finally I just snapped back at him that I'd spent the 6 years between undergrad and grad school living and working in *Austin* not *Dime Box.* Later, I found out the reason he was messing with me was he'd already set his heart on another candidate (from Philadelphia). They hired her instead, and she quit a week after, so then they somewhat sheepishly got stuck with me.

a month ago

Edit

• cerebral__flatulence

This. A lot of the time the manager has already set their mind on someone and the interview process is just theatre for the organization to make the choice look fair.

a month ago

Edit

• itsmemariotime

I got rejected from a final interview because I didn't have a full business plan/strategy for them. I mean, who the hell do they think they are - Goldman Sachs?

a month ago

Edit

• drwhogwarts

It sounds like they were trying to get free work!

a month ago

Edit

• According_Guess1096

Sorry you had to go through this. It says a lot about him and the company that someone like this is one of your final interviews so you might have dodged a bullet there. Imagine having to work with this guy on a regular basis. You should never have to explain your medical history besides describing it vaguely as a “health issue” and you can easily pivot from that by saying how you overcame that. That should be enough for any reasonable person to understand.

a month ago

Edit

• ButterCreamedWaffles

Had one recently in person that took over an hour! Made me fill out their application but they had my resume printed out 😑 they also got way up in my business asking me if I had applied to other places, if they both wanted to hire me which job would I accept and why? And especially with covid going on, asking me why I changed industries (almost 10 flipping years ago), constantly asking me why I wanted to work there. I wanted to give up and say TIMES ARE HARD, as long as I work hard why does it matter? This was just for a hole in the wall FOOD SERVICE

a month ago

Edit

• IV01dhanger

I had an interviewer ask me why I resubmitted my application because I wasn’t a good fit. This was after I was invited to do after reaching out to the interviewer on LinkedIn. I’d interviewed with that organization in April and they had me submit written responses to interview questions and complete a photoshop test in addition to the interview. Then they ghosted me. Worst part of it IMO was that they had no intention of hiring until next year. Who knows how many others have been treated the same way.

a month ago

Edit

• wildborbsunlimited

I just now had a staffing agency send me a message after 10 previous ones annoying me about a last minute virtual interview (I've had no shower in 2 days and was on a hike) asking me how much data entry experience I've had, and if I had previously worked for their client company. What even are resumes and why am I required to send them then?

a month ago

Edit

• -wonderif-

Been there. I was interviewing for a yacht design studio and the owner basically kept telling how bad I was, how old I was to enter the industry, how my portfolio was not what he expected, that people younger than me were better than me in any way. Politely took every so-called suggestions, waited for him to stop insulting me, at the end of the interview I thanked him, got up and left, never answered back to any of his emails. Jackass.

a month ago

Edit

• hardheaded62

I read that one twice

a month ago

Edit

• elijahollison

Funny you should post this. Drove half an hour for an interview yesterday, got there when I was supposed to. Guy wasn’t there. Waited in the parking lot for an hour, called him. Still nothing. I left. He called me a little while later and asked to reschedule to today. I’m tempted to not even bother as that was a big red flag

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Oh god, an hour is too much. The interview I had was virtual so I didn't feel offended when the interviewer arrived late. It is clear that the company you mentioned does not value your time, including travel.

a month ago

Edit

• [deleted]

[deleted]

a month ago

Edit

• LILHOMIE1250

He was blunt and unprofessional but if you don’t use that knowledge then he was right

a month ago

Edit

• wildborbsunlimited

I just had a really rude lecture from a staffing agency that was basically, if I don't use them I will never find a job on my own because I don't have enough experience. I never had a hugely hard time finding work until this quarantine, it's obvious part of the problem is the quarantine itself and the resulting huge number of people out of work. I did not appreciate being blamed and having the blame squarely on my head. I'm also not a new graduate, I have varied experiences in different things that for a manager who can think somewhat outside of the box, can realize my talents and skills. I've laid them out on my resume. Hiring managers have told me to keep looking because I have a good resume and good background and that I write very well in cover letters. I've gotten quite a lot of interviews ever since I started looking in July. To be lectured by someone who sounded at least a decade younger than me was incredibly condescending. It's not like I'm new to the workforce and I'm not so old that ageism or outdated skills is a problem. I was also expected to run right to my computer to do an evaluation for what sounded like a call center mill. This person has no idea that I'm going through another possible hardship soon as a result of my landlord verbally abusing me not even 24 hours ago and as a result I'm exhausted and highly stressed, and haven't had steady internet access today thanks to the service dropping repeatedly. I tried telling her that and it was just more lecturing. I just needed to vent too because this has sent me into tears for the first time in this entire job hunt. Perhaps I need to take a break, but some of these things popped up today that I applied to BEFORE the housing drama.

a month ago

Edit

• drbootup

Some of these staffing agencies are just trying to lock you in to working with them and in whatever position they're trying to fill at the time.

a month ago

Edit

• DLS3141

I interviewed for a product development engineering job once with a company on the other side of the state. I had 7 years of experience in a similar role with a much larger company. Everything went fine when I interviewed with HR and the VP of Engineering. The last interviewer was the guy who would have been my direct manager. The guy rolls in late, then keeps playing with his phone and would in the middle of my responses to his open ended questions would just say, "I have to go check on something." and would leave for 5 minutes or so. Between questions, he would insult the school where I got my engineering degree, the experience I had on my resume, anything on my resume, he implied it was inferior. He was just being a jerk and I realized that there was no way I ever wanted to work for this guy. After about his 3rd trip to "check on something", I'd had it. So when he left the next time, I just packed up my stuff and walked out dropping my Visitor badge with the receptionist. The recruiter who'd sent me on the interview called me shortly after and I told her exactly what had happened. She told me that she'd heard similar stories from other candidates, but that I was the first one to actually walk out.

a month ago

Edit

• cerebral__flatulence

I call these Negative approach interviews. Their approach is to tick off things you don’t have to eliminate candidates. So they focus on the 10-30% of skills or experience that don’t match up for the job versus focusing on what you can get done. Job listings says skill ‘a‘ is a nice to have while skill ‘b‘ is a requirement. You apply with none to limited experience in the optional skill but 100% in the required skill. Interviewers( HR, Managers etc) should have gone through the resumes first to eliminate critical gaps or put that into their job posting that a skill was critical. Getting into the interview with the focus on reasons not to hire you is a waste of time and can be demoralizing. Figure your s\*\*t out before you post and before you interview. edit formatting

a month ago

Edit

• wildborbsunlimited

Way too many companies are now doing these. I am so tired and done with just horrible interviews where it's just an interrogation and total critique of your resume and entire life, without allowing you to even speak or explain things.

a month ago

Edit

• MontisQ

I once had an interview for a constituent service position with a state level politician where they "tested" me after the oral part. I had to reply to a fake constituent explaining a bill to them without any resources or direction at all. It totally aggravated me and made me feel like i was in high school again. I didnt get the job but i dont think i would have taken it even if they offered.

a month ago

Edit

• isaac161000

I had a phone interview earlier this year that started out like the interviewer was in a rush and ended with him hanging up on me mid interview after I had answered no to one of his questions.

a month ago

Edit

• Lysandra-

That’s sounds like the guy that interviewed me recently. He literally yawned mid sentence and acted like he was doing something else the whole time.

a month ago

Edit

• Cute_Puppy90

I had an interview a few months over zoom. It was for a youth Counselor position at a school. I did super well, had a bachelors degree in the field and experience. End of the interview, guy says" You have a wonderful resume, but frankly, you just seem too happy and I need people that are more unhappy." I responded" So, the interview went well and I'm not moving forward because I'm happy?" My friend got hired at the same school, left two months because she got sexually harassed by other counselors.

a month ago

Edit

• sector1-3

Wtf is wrong with this world...

a month ago

Edit

• Zafjaf

I had an interview last year and they didn't even bother reading my resume because the questions they asked about my education were all wrong. After speaking with a friend that works there, they expect you to take work home with you every week. So clearly, unprepared (and late) interviewers, and a terrible work life balance. No thanks

a month ago

Edit

• SnooKiwis2161

Let me guess - you're not being paid for this "homework."

a month ago

Edit

• mzwfan

I got rejected for a job last week for being overqualified and having too many leadership skills. Maybe they think that it's supposed to make you feel better, but it doesn't. In other news my manager at my current job sucks. She doesn't do her job, but she will pick at all sorts of things that are not a part of her job. This week was our flu shots, which we are mandated to get, but the deadline is in December. It's October and not only did we get our flu shots in our dept, that paperwork was supposed to transfer directly into our files, but our manager is denying that's how it works even though that is what we were told when we both got our shots. More irritating is that she insisted that there was only one way to get flu shots, well there are basically 5 ways and we have been email blasted like crazy by HR, so for someone who is so bored she is harassing us over something we didn't even do wrong, but did way ahead of the deadline, she didn't even bother reading any of the emails explaining the damn process and is just being an asshole just to be an asshole. This is why good people leave jobs, asshole managers. And if you think I'm making a big deal over something dumb, this is just the tip of the iceberg, she does this kind of thing all of the time and I think it is to deflect from the fact that she has nothing to do all day so is trying to act like she is busy by causing trouble. I hate having a manager with the mentality of a Jr high drama queen.

a month ago

Edit

• Foreignvertigo

I once turned down a job with a significant raise because 1) city parking would eat half the raise and 2) I could tell reporting to the two managers I would be reporting to at the same time would be a nightmare. If they can’t even be bothered to be civil to each other in the interview stage, what was going to make me think it would be better after taking the job? HR was SHOCKED that I didn’t find the 45 minutes of bickering endearing.

a month ago

Edit

• chickenboi8008

I had a strange interview where the CEO asked really weird and illegal/inappropriate questions. What is your religion? Are you married? What middle school did you go to? What high school? What city is that in? What do your parents do? He also said I was talking too loud but it felt like he was yelling/interrogating me the entire time. Also, he didn't like long explanations when answering his questions. A lot of Glassdoor reviews said the same thing. I left that job after 3 months since I found something more closely related to what I wanted to do and unsurprisingly, that company has a high turnover rate.

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Oh gosh this sounds so similar to my experience! I hate being asked irrelevant questions to the role especially in a condescending manner. It must be a bad workplace.

a month ago

Edit

• Fluffy305

Oh yeah I had one of those like 3 weeks ago. Didn't get the job. He had me waiting in limbo for a video interview for like 4 days straight he kept having to reschedule it. Then when it did happen, I was still excited about the job but he i guess didnt like the questions I was asking which weren't even bad questions because I asked the same questions in another interview yesterday and got the job so he can suck it. I was more than qualified for that job and they were so rude. Even the receptionist her tone was rude when I spoke to her once. The questions I asked was are you sure this is a only chat job no phones stuff that the job description said. And how long have they had this contract for and is the position permanent? I guess he felt cornered. Asshole. Yesterday for another only chat job I asked these same questions and I was offered the position so it goes to show it was just the interviewers attitude.

a month ago

Edit

• mrythern

I had a series of interviews that went like this Interview #1 Phone interview- you are the best candidate ever. You live in NY and we need someone in NY who knows the territory and the people and the blam bla bla. You are nationally recognized expert in the field and literally the poster child for this organization and a published author in this field. We cannot see anyone else in this position. You have this job in the bag. Plan on meeting with us by next week we will call you with a meeting place and time. 1 week later I get a call. Please drop everything and fly to Memphis Tennessee at 8 am tomorrow morning for interview #2. I present my portfolio, my published book, my CV, etc, etc. You are absolutely amazing and the best candidate in the world. We can’t believe that we have you. Are you available for interview #3 next week? Now it’s important to remember that I am working full time for another company and trying to take days off to interview here. So I take 1 day off for a 1 hour interview in Tennessee. The flights were longer than the interview. Now interview #3. Dallas Texas. I fly in the night before. I wake up with the worst headache ever. The interview was a cattle call where there are interview rooms filled with candidates and interviewers. I go in and the guy right off the bat begins to look through my portfolio and my book and starts criticizing my work (I am a nurse- he was in medical device sales). I have to admit that I started to get flustered. Then he started saying that he didn’t like my accent because I sounded like I was from the northeast...so I said...well I am born and raised in the northeast and you are hiring me for the northeast. Then he says “I am not hiring you for anything, I am going to make sure that you never work for this company, that you never get this job.” So one of the other interviewers overheard him and leaned over and said something to him and he seemed to be losing it. I said that I wasn’t sure why they had brought me all this way for a 5 minute interview but anyway I think it’s over now. So I started to walk out and I saw the original interview person and he stopped me and said no wait. You are my candidate. Wait here. The interviewers had a huddle and decided that I was out. The head interview guy said I was never going to work for him or that company and he was the final say. 6 months later that interview guy committed suicide. I think he was clearly unstable. I think it worked out well for me and I ended up staying with my company.

a month ago

Edit

• sin301

holy hell that was a rollercoaster

a month ago

Edit

• temmape

I had an all day on-site interview for a process engineering position before I graduated undergrad. Most things went well, although it was overwhelming I got to the end, when I met with the site manager and he asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. I told him I wanted to get an MBA and move toward people management after I was able to gain mastery of technical skills. He told me I would never succeed, I shouldn’t graduate with a degree if I didn’t want it, and told me to drop out or switch majors. He also told me to “get it together” and “stop applying to jobs to waste engineers time” I got a better job at a better company in a better location, and was promoted in 3 years while I was “undereducated” compared to my colleagues. So that guy can shove it.

a month ago

Edit

• ThatDamnPoop

You should send that interviewer an email and tell him how much you appreciate him being a dick to you, because "failing" that interview took you to a much better place in life.

a month ago

Edit

• Jenology

Wow that sounds miserable!! I actually enjoy interviews (to certain extent). I had one bad interview that while I was on the way there the guy called me to ask if I could come in early - I couldn’t and I got lost on the way there so ended up right on time. I could tell he was not happy about it. Then he proceeded to go on and on about how HARD working at a start up will be, almost like he was complaining. He kept asking me if I was capable and I was giving some great examples of how hard I can work, really trying to build myself up as you usually do in interviews. Then at the end he told me to “REALLY try to sell yourself” ... like what did he think I was going this whole time? I’m actually glad I didn’t get the job

a month ago

Edit

• Louisville_Lem

I had a round table interview a few years ago, where the directer of the department came in about 10 minutes late, and while I was being questioned by another person, took out a bag of McDonald's food, opened some sandwich type thing up, and started preparing it with condiments ... It was at that point I realized this is a courtesy interview and the position is filled. Disgusted and angry about wasting all that prep time and suit n tie prep and all that ... Another on in Vermont, I walked from the front door, to the reception desk, then into the conference room, went through the whole interview, shake hands all that, get to my car and realized my zipper was down with the white of the shirt poking through. Oooof ...

a month ago

Edit

• Puzzledspirit_

I've had an interview before wherein this HR guy won't stop touching my legs and my back while giving me a computer test (part of the interview). He was sitting beside me. Had to endure that for like an hour. When I left the office, I had to confront his assistant, I asked her if she is experiencing the same thing while working there then she told me no but I don't believe her (Heard she left the company after few months). Didn't came back to for final interview again even when they followed up on me. Biggest regret though that I didn't complain or made a scene right at that moment, he deserved to be shamed in public.

a month ago

Edit

• BushcraftHatchet

For several years I have always adopted the strategy of I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. I have turned down several job offers from places where the interviewer and environment did not strike me as a positive place. I will continue to do that in the future if I think that I might keep that employment long term.

a month ago

Edit

• LACYANNE72

I had to be a bad interviewer once. I was directed to find a new employee to work in the warehouse I ran (Kalamazoo Vapor Shop, I believe in naming and shaming). I put the ad up, took the top 3 candidates and scheduled interviews. Had 2 20 minute interviews, the 3rd never showed. I went with the candidate who had 6 months more experience, the interviews and resumes were otherwise materially the same. I let the company owner know I have made my choice. Owner says okay call and set the start date. I do so. Then, later that day the owner calls me and asks me about my choice. He asks if any females applied. I say yes, the other good candidate was female. He says to call her and give her the job because "I only want women in the warehouse. They get more work done." Then he tells me he is hiring a manager, who will be over me. A man. For a position he never made available to me. So all the upper mgmt were now men, with exception of his wife in HR. The were all in the admin building next door. The rest of us lowly women stayed in the warehouse. I called this poor kid back to take his job away from him🤨 And hired the less experienced female candidate. Then I started a career doing consulting work and never looked back.

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

I'm sorry that you were put in a difficult position... I wouldn't say that you are a bad interviewer. You never know what goes behind a hiring decision.

a month ago

Edit

• Jibade

This was my last interview early on in the pandemic. Video call turned into a voice call.. ok no need to see each other. As I answered his questions it sounded like he was washing clothes or scratching fabric LOUD. I kept my cool and saw this as a test on focus. Then he told me how good his team is and can I beat them in X,Y and Z skills and I tried answering in a non frat boy way as I saw he was sounding like one. At the end he told me my name reminded him of a drink he down in frat parties. Then it was a sea of interview ghosting. Thankfully I decided to start an Esty business and hope that brings value to my work ethic.

a month ago

Edit

• Fun_Lavishness7256

What's your etsy business?

a month ago

Edit

• hansrat

I had an interview this week where the interviewer argued with me on my work history and accused me of lying about it. I felt this was crazy because I know where I worked, how would he know my life? I pointed out my references and advised him to check up on them. He rolled his eyes and sarcastically said, "Yeah I'll do that thank you for your time" and the interview was over. Like why? Why would people do this? Why even call me in or ask me about my work history at all?

a month ago

Edit

• dogplayerad

What about your work history would sound like it's falsified? The only instance I know is a friend of mine is in his late 20's, but he's been in multiple management positions in retail on top of a comp sci degree, which can look fake, I guess.

a month ago

Edit

• getaway_car13

How did your health history and grades slipping come up in an interview?

a month ago

Edit

• yip_yap_appa

They may have requested transcripts (grades slipping) and noticed an employment gap (OP may have answered with "health issues")

a month ago

Edit

• Laylaonthemoon

I had an interview where I was asked for my salary expectations and I refused to give one until an offer was given. They didn’t reach out to me again after that.

a month ago

Edit

• 0verandbeyond

Wish I did that every time they ask me about my salary expectations. I just blurt out a number and it sticks

a month ago

Edit

• neuerisfeuer

My worst interview was with a startup that was supposed to be promising. I was on time with 10 minutes to spare - but spent 11 minutes just trying to find their office in the building. Right address, but NO SIGNS on the entire floor that said "X Company". There were several offices with lights off. A random person came and said "Are you looking for X?" When I said yes, they showed me an office that had all the lights off and no one in it, and said this was it. I was so confused walking through (no reception desk or anything either to point you to where you're supposed to go, no one to greet you...) I literally had to wander around the office until I found a tiny corner room where the "boss" (22 year old engineering grad) was sitting tapping his pencil. I couldn't wait to NOT work there. Man, if you want to hire professional people, at least be professional yourself.

a month ago

Edit

• mustbwormsinthebrain

Sounds like a pretty unethical way to conduct a job interview. Screw that guy.

a month ago

Edit

• ineedthenitro

That sucks. I’m sorry you had to go through that. I’ve had phone interviews where the recruiter sounded so rushed and only spoke for like 10 minutes. Had another one where they sounded so annoyed and disinterested. Just monotone. I actually work in HR so it really bothers me when recruiters do this. They’re the face of the company/1st people you speak with. So unprofessional

a month ago

Edit

• LilStrug

Was brought in for a multi-stage interview that lasted the entire day. Midway through, I had a member of their engineering team just grill me with development questions I had no answer for. When I asked him how these questions related to the job I was interviewing for, he said they didn't. He just wanted to get a deeper idea of my skillset and that he wasn't sure why he was asked to talk to me since we wouldn't be working together. The next person was almost as bad. They just worked on their computer and stumbled through their questions while really not caring what I had to say. They let me know I didn't get the job before I left the building.

a month ago

Edit

• TheCrimsonFucker

I had a company that reached out to me for an interview about 2 months ago now. After 3 or 4 interviews they decided to do a battery interview (that would take 4-5 hours) headed by a presentation. I literally spent 80 hours preparing for that interview. At no point did I feel out of my comfort zone during the interview, and I did the presentation on a project that I was absolutely integral in completing. They flat out ghosted me for 2 weeks afterword. I was fairly upset about this, and then they wanted me to complete an exam. After taking the exam, I received a canned email about how they are going with other candidates. Like, I get it, if I'm not the right fit, I understand. But good lord, a phone call would have been more human. And honestly, I got a job that doesn't require relocation in a field I have wanted to get into for a while. All this job took was 1 phone interview, and I started the following monday.

a month ago

Edit

• itsacheesestick

I left a negative review on Glassdoor yesterday lol yay for anonymous

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Yes I'm gonna do that soon :P

a month ago

Edit

• the-opinionated-fish

Had an interview for a receptionist position. Walking around getting a tour of the business. Interviewer is walking with me. She’s holding my application, cover letter, and resume. As I was saying something she farted and used my application docs to wave the fart away while saying she’d eaten something bad for lunch.

a month ago

Edit

• JShep828

I’ve had interviews range from great to weird to shit. The bottom line is, you’ll get a job. Just keep at it. Trust me, I was in your spot until recently. Went from being ghosted and rejected, put on hold etc... to getting a great offer, then started the job and within a week or two, a couple companies I interviewed with a month or so ago, reached out to me to give an offer. So I went from nothing to 3 offers with a couple week of eachother. The main point is the same crap that everyone will tell you, because it’s true, is that an offer/the right offer will come. As lame and unhelpful as that sounds, it’s the flat out truth. So just keep at it. Best of luck

a month ago

Edit

• SGSHBO

I had a 2 hour interview where I was to present my solution to a data prompt and answers to a few questions. The first hour was with one group, and the second hour was with a different group. The first hour went great, everyone was asking good questions and conversation flowed easily. The second interview was horrible. Nobody on the panel had any questions prepared, I basically lead the entire thing. One guy did his best but it was obvious nobody wanted to be there. Can’t tell you how many times I had to say “any questions.........? No? Ok, well I’ll move on to the next one”. It was excruciatingly awkward.

a month ago

Edit

• Allowaay

I did an initial screen interview. Then I made a 30 slide market research ppt for a case study. Then I did a 30 minute test in SPSS while the interviewer shared my screen. Then I did a rapid-fire 2 hour interview where I did a 30 minute session with 4 people one after the other. All over the course of a month. When they finally got back to me they said that I was overqualified. They gave me feedback even showing I’d aced every step.

a month ago

Edit

• electricguitar146

I couldn’t get the face cam working on Skype (who uses Skype anymore?) and after about 2 minutes, they just asked if I had any questions for them and ended the interview. The next day, I got rejected.

a month ago

Edit

• Vicariouslynoticed

I had one that questioned my education on my resume even after me telling her that I graduated. It was a two person interview who was narrowing it down to one person. She seemed too condescending and she kept bad mouthing a previous employee. “ Well we had one person who could not do the job” I’m like I am not the other employer so get a grip!

a month ago

Edit

• rebel_way

I once had someone give me a test - write a communications strategy for one of their publications within 24 hours. But keep it under 300 words. I thought it was very strange. Turned it in. Didn’t hear anything for a MONTH. Finally I cracked and followed up via email. Apparently the hiring committee was all on vacation, but as far as she knew I had been rejected because my strategy didn’t go into enough detail.

a month ago

Edit

• yondu-over-here

I’ve never experienced this but have read about it. https://www.monster.ca/career-advice/article/tips-to-handle-a-hostile-interviewer-ca

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Thanks! That was a good read. In my case, the interviewer didn't think I would be a good fit for the position. So I guess that's why he sounded a little dismissive.

a month ago

Edit

• itsacheesestick

I left a negative review on Glassdoor yesterday lol yay for anonymous

a month ago

Edit

• drbootup

This guys sounds like a pain in the ass. It's understandable for him to ask about education, but going back to elementary school? Keep in mind that while you're there to be interviewed, you have an agenda, which is to find out what their needs are and get across how you can fill those needs. It's ok to pivot, change the subject, etc. to get to where you need to be. "Yes, I have had some health issues in the past, but I don't think it's an issue now. That's why I'm excited to come in and work on \[project\]. Could you tell me about what you're doing with \[thing you've researched ahead of time\].

a month ago

Edit

• tZdgPH307p

This is going to sound cold, but you have to accept that it’s an employer’s market at the moment. Even if you get an offer, they know they have a stack of candidates just as qualified as you and will use that to negotiate a much lower salary than you deserve for the amount of work you’ll be asked to do. If you can afford to be selective about which offer you accept, great. If not, do what it takes to get hired SOMEWHERE - 1.) you’ll accrue experience 2.) that experience plus salary will give you a stronger negotiating position in the future 3.) it’ll feel even better when you quit and burn that bridge with an eloquent ‘Get Fucked’ letter of resignation.

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

This is a good point. I have a part-time job now so thankfully money is not a major issue. Some of my friends think that it is better to accept the offer while searching for another job. It really depends on how comfortable you are with the decision.

a month ago

Edit

• onthehornsofadilemma

I did an online interview for a position as an English teacher in Japan for a private school. I have a Masters in ESL and I had experience designing my own materials, having taught for 3 years by that point. She was increasingly hostile for the entire interview and one of her last questions was "How would you bring value to the company?" I would teach English, what do you expect? I still have flashbacks about it.

a month ago

Edit

• Pandaonthego

I am a recent graduate and the job that I applied to few months back grilled me on questions someone with 3 years of experience should have. They also have no interest in my personality or educational background, it’s just unfamiliar technical questions. Normally I’m fine with this but their tone irks me off with their bitchy “o....kaaay...?”, and their eyebrow quirking up when I’m talking and the half smirk and the continuous grilling. The HOD even took off to take a call in the midst of the interview. It was one of the most disrespectful interview I had ever have. If you do not have the budget to hire a more experienced person, don’t expect recent graduates to know everything just for you to undermine them. Seriously. &gt;:O

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Ikr. Employers have super unrealistic expectations for entry-level candidates. If you expect more from your candidates, then pay them more!

a month ago

Edit

• UzimakiRasengan

I’ve been there. Came in for an interview at a restaurant and the lady who interviewed me kept me waiting a while and once she got there she didn’t even seem interested and just asked questions about my past job and nothing related to the job I was applying for. Knew I wasn’t getting the job and within 3 minutes of leaving the place and driving home I got a rejection email follow up from the interview lol. She was just so uninterested and kinda rude. honestly I’d prefer if she didn’t do the interview at all rather than wasting my time or even both our times.

a month ago

Edit

• femmebeast

One of my first interviews out of school was at an environmental calling/marketing company, tbh I don't even fully remember... It was out of the city but I traveled via public transit and was excited. I was in a group interview which is always awkward. Three guys in the room. I'm trying to explain my work history. I worked three jobs while doing undergrad and my grades slipped a but but nothing horrible. Still an ok GPA but not one I lead with. One of them, an older middle-aged man, who was clearly done interviewing or just didn't have any interest in me in general flat out rudely interrupted one other interviewer during a question and said "What was your GPA?" I led with talking about my work experience and maintaining three jobs while at school and then finally saying it. I stated that I had other extracurriculars and other things under my belt to make up for a difference. (I graduated with a science degree). The guy rolled his eyes very outwardly and stated "Well, we have someone from your University who graduated in communications with the 4.0." At that point I kind of wanted to say "well communications and environmental science are two different fields." If I could go back now I would say I don't think this position needs a 4.0 GPA to get the job done. It was shitty cold calling work. I knew then and there that we were done. Mind you the other two interviewers weren't recent graduates, one of which didn't even graduate college. so I'm not sure why he outwardly asked me that other than to weed me out or have some sort of justification for not wanting me.

a month ago

Edit

• pepperw2

I would have said “Yet here he is applying for a mindless telemarketing job. Maybe he can move up through the ranks of Telemarketing and become a floor supervisor like yourself” Then I would have bitch hummed, stared at him oddly, then left. (And probably trip over my feet on the way out. 😂🤣. To which I would say “I did that on purpose to absorb some of your humiliation. See what you missed out on?” My point is. Rewrite it in your head. Such fantasy’s will get us all through.

a month ago

Edit

• dogplayerad

I applied for a receptionist job in an attempt to get out of working in a grocery store, so it was my second experience ever with the hiring process. I was making $11/hour at the time, and this position would have paid $10/h. The owner had like a group of us sit together and talk to him, which was weird enough. The ladies there with me were all older, and they definitely deserved more than the $10/hour the job was offering given their age and experience. A day or two after, I got called in to do a drug test. Cool. I threw on some nicer clothes, but I was told I was just coming in to grab a form to take to the clinic, so I had on jeans. This man proceeded to try to do a formal interview without warning me, then had the audacity to tell me I wasn't as "put together" as the other applicants. I doubt I did super well in the interview--it was the second one I'd ever done, and with no warning--but I was so fucking offended, like wtf dude.

a month ago

Edit

• pepperw2

Some of the most put together people I know are comfortable in jeans. 😊

a month ago

Edit

• NoFlyingMonkeys

Edit: info here is for US only. Check with laws in your country. It's actually illegal in US for them to ask you about your health, just as it is illegal for them to ask about your personal life (marriage, kids, etc.). If you say you can do everything the job description asks for and can work all the hours, that's as far as the discussion is allowed to go. If you have to declare a limiting disability, that's different, but they still can't ask your diagnosis, only can ask what tasks in the job description you need ADA accommodation for.

a month ago

Edit

• pepperw2

OP may not be in the US.

a month ago

Edit

• stifflyunwound

I’ve been looking for a job for about 5 months now and I definitely understand the burn out. I’ve had so many interviews and I’m getting tired of getting my hopes up. I recently had an interview as uncomfortable as this one (but definitely can’t compare to asking health questions, that crosses a line) I recently made it to the last round of the interview process where my final interview was with the CEO. He started by saying “sorry we didn’t update the job description but we were thinking of making this a part time position, would you be interested in that?” After explaining that I was very attached to the company and enjoyed everyone I had spoken with thus far, I said I am looking for a long-term position and need the security of full time. He then asked “what kind of expenses do you have that’s would prevent you from taking a part time position?” Now tbh this made me angry and because I was on zoom I did my best to manage my reaction. I politely let him know that I had bills to pay and I need to invest in my future and therefore could not take a part time position. The conversation ended shortly after that and he let me know they would be getting back to me soon. It’s been three weeks, one thank you email and a follow up email and I have not heard back from them. I know finances are the job of the CEO but he really showed how little he cared about my interview by asking me to work part time without acknowledging I’d been out of work for months. I talked to a few people and you just have to see the red flags in the interview process as blessings. I’ve been miserable working for companies that hid their issues during the interview process and that led me to where I am now. Wishing you luck, I know you’ll find the right place soon!! Also know that at least one other person is also having ridiculous interviews and you are not alone!

a month ago

Edit

• pbjbuttons

Sorry, sounds shitty. One of my interviewers at Google was super rude. I liked everyone else. She was also the one that cut me from the rounds. She was quite condescending. I did really well but got tripped up on an involved question that was very obscure and had never considered before and she acted like I was an idiot. I remember saying to her "or we talk about how I did over 580% of my closed metric", as I was literally answering a sales and marketing question about a niche industry in no way related to what I was interviewing for (about a bakery when I'm interviewing for tech sales). It's a shame though, as I know 100% I would have done fantastic. I'm way ahead of the curve and very much a linchpin. Sometimes certain places get so hung up on meeting some obscure criteria they can't see someone talented enough to do the actual job they are interviewing for.

a month ago

Edit

• chonkycatsbestcats

My interviewer (part of board members) said he couldn’t get on my zoom call (that his staff scheduled) because it had a password. Everyone else was able to hop in their zoom calls with me and we all had passwords....

a month ago

Edit

• jargon4895

Couple of things - he probably does hate his life and his job or more insidious is that he has a friend interviewing for the same position and trying to thin down the competition.

a month ago

Edit

• Oyabun_Hiroshi_San62

Aw man

a month ago

Edit

• Randymac88

I’m sorry you had this experience but I have to ask - how did this interviewer get information from you about your grades?

a month ago

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

He asked me :( Unfortunately in my country some job interviews will require very detailed transcripts, but usually only from high school to university.

a month ago

Edit

• TheLegendaryTreasure

My interviewer told me today to never be loyal to a company more than 2 years (was being considered for a promotion that fell through). Guess I'll just dick around now until I have money to buy a Challenger...

a month ago

Edit

• Aenigma66

I was in a 3 week long application process with a company that's looking to build a new IT support team. It went very well, the interviews were fine and they seemed to really want me. However, yesterday I got a call and was told that they can't hire me at the moment cause there were no more free slots for a part time gig. And it seemed so so sure I'd get hired... That... Stung. I have another process running, too, but I had the interview on Monday and the dude told me that he'd only be able to give me an answer at the middle of next week and now I'm super fucking anxious about not getting it.

a month ago

Edit

• drwhogwarts

1) Had an interview where the guy was aggressive and pointless throughout (asking me to spell things, etc). He ended the interview asking if it bothered me that I was "so short." I'm 5'1" and was wearing work heels for the interview. 2) Interviewed at my (then) current place for a higher position at the same time my boss was preparing to leave. He outright told me I wouldn't be considered because not having me in my current position to help with onboarding would make him look bad to his replacement. By the time the replacement started I'd accepted a job elsewhere. 3) Applied for a job through a headhunter and at the end of a lengthy process the HH forwarded an email she received from the company owner. He said my decision to try a new field in my last job made him think I lacked direction and didn't know what I was doing. Like no one has ever tried a new career? Meanwhile, he inherited his company from daddy.

a month ago

Edit

• questforanswerz

Wow, sorry about that. Honestly sounds like you dodged a bullet, I wouldn’t want to work with him

a month ago

Report

Edit

• vashindjc

I also had experienced that kind of interviewer mostly when I applied to multiple jobs, and as a person who's knowledgeable on that kind of human behaviors, I felt really insulted whenever they make that kind of attitudes and tried to degrade my personality just becos I don't have or I didn't take yet any board exams. It sucks.

a month ago

Report

Edit

• drdeadringer

&gt; At one point I started to understand that this interviewer in front of me hated his life. "I hate my life. Join me."

a month ago

Report

Edit

• drdeadringer

Multiple unnecessary interviews. I don't know why they kept asking me back as they clearly didn't want me. After the second interview I didn't want them either but I kept coming back because who doesn't like a train wreck. The invitation to the final interview was literally "because we have some concerns". Yes, they needed to waste hours and monies of everyone's time before discovering that the word "no" exists in their native language. Train wreck. Worth the in-person peanut gallery.

a month ago
                                                                                0

Report

Edit

• egocentric_

During a final interview, I was presenting my case study and at the end the hiring manager asked if the team had any questions. When no one did, he got pissed and started counting down from 5 like they were kids until two of them clambered and both tried to spit out a question when he got to 1. I've learned to follow your gut instinct when you meet people. It's very telling to me how nervous I am when I interview with someone. There's been interviewers that I've felt instantly comfortable talking to and others where I couldn't even catch my own breath.

a month ago
                                                                                  0

Report

Edit

• QueenofSavages

Not really my worst job interview ever, but the interviews for my last company were totally disorganised. I could tell they had no idea what they were doing. Their questions for me were pretty bad, and they couldn't really answer some of mine. I got quite bad vibes from one of the interviewers - not so much that he was rude, I just got the distinct impression he was lying to me. They called to offer me the job but I turned it down based on my gut feeling. They begged me to join anyway, and because the money was decent and I couldn't pinpoint exactly why I felt the way I did in my interview, I eventually gave in. It was one of the worst places I've ever worked. They were unscrupulous bullies who really couldn't give a shit about anyone not part of upper management. Lesson learned, though, I will never go against my instincts on something like this ever again!

a month ago
                                                                                    1

Report

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Agreed. Sometimes you will subconsciously register subtle red flags here and there. Lesson learned :/

a month ago

Report

Edit

• laserfocus2020

Oh man. I feel your pain. I \*just\* went through this a couple days ago and I'm not sure who I'm more frustrated with. The asshole of the interviewer or myself for getting so affected by his behavior. The guy was late, he talked too much, when I repeated a question for clarity, he literally said "Look, if you don't feel comfortable talking about it we can move on to a different topic" I could tell from the get-go he had already made a decision that he didn't like me based on my resume. I felt like he was mocking me with my answers, like somehow whatever I had worked on was not impressive enough (so why did they accept my application???) It sucks because the process with this company dragged on and on...and at one point I wanted to withdraw my ap because I felt like they were so disorganized, but then I again I had already made it through several rounds. I agree with you. It reflects negatively on the company. At the end of all this though, it was probably a blessing in disguise. I would have been working with this douche and that would have been hell. I too and tired and burnt out. I'm grateful I have a decent job atm, but ya know, it not like my current work goes away. I have to work and interview prep at the same time and it's exhausting. Just applying for jobs is exhausting because you have navigate a different system each time. Hang in there. As you can see from the comments, a lot of us have been in this situation. It's hard not to feel down, but we can get through this together in spirit!

a month ago
                                                                                    1

Report

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

I had the exact same experience half a year ago! I wonder why some companies even bother to advance candidates to the next stage if they are not interested in your application at all :( The interviewer acted like the interview was a waste of time. I think it's okay if they don't want to give an offer but the interview does not have to be hellish. Thank you for the encouragement. Hope you could land a better job soon!

a month ago

Report

Edit

• SnooAdvice5858

Been sitting at home for 3 months because I'm a per diem worker at a NYC hospital....I just had an interview at a different hospital with the same health system I work in yesterday @1:15....I even had to take a $65 Uber there because of the slightly delayed train schedule....Just got an [email protected] 12:48 pm that I didn't get the job....This is the 2nd job interview at this hospital....I'm sick &amp; tired of sitting at home (my department wasn't approved for remote working at home so I have to commute 2 hours each way)....Going to all of these interviews, and not getting the job....BTW I have almost 20 years experience in a Medical office setting....

a month ago
                                                                                    0

Report

Edit

• deadtarot

I had an interview over zoom the other day, I showed up to the meeting room about 15 mins before the interview. The person interviewing me didn’t show up till an hour and half after the interview was supposed to start. And then he had the gall to email me asking if I wanted to reschedule. Dude, I don’t want to work for someone who doesn’t value my time

a month ago
                                                                                      0

Report

Edit

• curly-redhead

Sorry to hear this. But that is nothing. Most senior roles involve 5-6 interviews, several panels, an assignment and some form of online psych assessment. Plus, take a min 6-8 weeks. Its exhausting. Been to the end several times -- never a bride. But you made it though to the end -- which is more than others can say. And it sounds like you dodged a bullet...

a month ago
                                                                                        1

Report

Edit

• themajesticfox5315

Yeah I have a feeling that this treatment is nothing close to "worst". That's why I really appreciate people sharing their "worst experiences" so I can put things into perspective. Thank you for the comment and hope you have a great day :)

a month ago

Report

Edit

• GrainObtain

I’ve had a phone screening where the interviewer flat out asked me why I’ve had a hard time finding a job...2 weeks after leaving my last role. She then referred to me as a bad candidate. Earlier than that she mentioned she married her coworker which is great I guess but they both work in the same job. So I guess their culture speaks for itself. Really getting tired of dealing with ignorant Americans.

a month ago
                                                                                        1

Report

Edit

• Ms-Anon-Y-Mous

Ignorant Americans? Wow, offensive.

a month ago

Report

Edit