Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Has anyone ever tried to make you feel ashamed about your job?

4 months ago

|

I apologise if this is the wrong subreddit but I honestly didn't know where else to post this. I received a boatload of nasty messages last night from someone I haven't spoken to in years, majority of them basically shaming me for what I do for work, followed by them bragging about much money they earn at their job (they said they were making up to 3k a day in commissions which I honestly think is BS but that's besides the point). I feel like they were just trying to rile me up because they were being nasty about a lot of other aspects of my life, but for some reason being shamed for my job stung the most. I work in a distribution centre for one of the leading supermarkets in my country, doing a variety of different jobs from loading trucks to training new people. I bring home a decent pay check each week and I work with some incredible people. It doesn't sound like much but it's honestly the best job I've ever had. I've never been shamed for my career choices before and I'm feeling really down about it, to be honest. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Ordinary_Object_1878

Hi There! Sounds like you shouldn't talk to this person for another several years.

4 months ago

Edit

aly__mac

Agreed! I've already blocked them but I'm still feeling really sad about it :(

4 months ago

Edit

WorthlessDrugAbuser

I can almost certainly tell you that the person who was giving you grief over your job is stuck in an MLM/pyramid scheme. The whole “up to 3k a day in commissions” is a dead giveaway. A lot of MLM losers like to shit on people with regular jobs too. At the end of the day you have a steady paycheck while they’re HIGHLY LIKELY to be drowning in debt.

4 months ago

Edit

CMDR_KingErvin

Yeah very likely this. I see this kind of scheme crop up all the time. They use terms like “earning potential” and “make up to___” whenever it’s advertised. You also often see it on YouTube ads where you have a douchey looking bro-like dude in shorts and a polo lounging around and he goes “this week I made ___ dollars by doing nothing! Don’t believe me? Let me show you!” I guarantee whoever that person was contacted OP to try to rope him into their pyramid scheme. Must be trying some sort of negging tactic to put OP down and make him feel ashamed of his job, then advertise his own job as some kind of amazing thing. OP I would cut off contact with this guy immediately. He’s the type of toxic person who uses others that you don’t want in your life.

4 months ago

Edit

mzieg

> I work in a distribution centre for one of the leading supermarkets in my country, doing a variety of different jobs from loading trucks to training new people. I bring home a decent pay check each week and I work with some incredible people. It doesn't sound like much but it's honestly the best job I've ever had. So you’re an integral part of keeping the farm-to-table pipeline flowing? That’s at the heart of sustainable agriculture and literally the keystone of civilization. Before your position was created, humans had two options: grow their own food (needs space), or hunt-and-gather meat or fruits and berries (again, needs a certain ratio of people-to-land, or a region gets stripped and tribes have to roam nomadically). Your job is literally what enabled the invention of *cities*. Think London, New York, Tokyo could exist without a planned and managed continuous inflow of goods from farms around the state? And cities enable art. Enable museums, orchestras and opera, universities, industry, finance, journalism, all the best that humanity can put forth. There was never going to an Amazon without Seattle, films without LA. You can’t have GM and Ford with Detroit, or Dell without Austin, moonshots without Huntsville and Houston. It’s all on you bro. Thanks for keeping us alive, and letting us congregate together to build new tomorrows without having to worry where our next meal may be coming from.

4 months ago

Edit

aly__mac

I've never really looked at my job this way before. I knew we were helping to serve the community, but I had no idea it was to this extent. Thank you so much, this has really helped.

4 months ago

Edit

Single_Blueberry

Sounds like that person is either mad at you or your employer for some unknown reason and is making up arguments as a proxy to insult you. I know it's not an easy thing to do, but blocking that person and not looking back is very likely the best thing you can do. Maybe show the messages to friends or family to get some confirmation that it's bs.

4 months ago

Edit

aly__mac

Good idea, I think I'll show the messages to someone at work tomorrow. And I've already blocked them, I'm just hoping they don't keep trying to find other ways to message me

4 months ago

Edit

Farren246

Every time I see my family, they ask me if I am still in the same old job makingthe same old salary. My Dad in particular likes to tell me all about how when he hires new grads he starts them off at $90K and thinks that is underpaying them, so as a developer in my 30's I should be earning well over $100K. My salary is sub-$70K, which is double what I started at a decade ago. No one in the area pays more than my current salary.

4 months ago

Edit

omgitsabean

what a cunt of a father

4 months ago

Edit

highapplepie

I was told real adults don’t judge you for what your job is, they respect that you have one.

4 months ago

Edit

theredknitcapgirl

Always. My entire family made me feel that way. But you know, it doesn't matter what their opinions are. Are you proud of what you do?

4 months ago

Edit

aly__mac

I'm sorry they made you feel that way, I hope you enjoy what you do and are proud of it. I am proud of what I do, being able to train others to do the job especially gives me a sense of accomplishment. I've just never had someone try to bring me down for my livelihood before - it's not a nice feeling

4 months ago

Edit

kattymin

They are either losers or boss bae. Do your job and ignore them

4 months ago

Edit

lulu_fox

Listen, there’s something about you that they LACK, so they try to lower you as much as they can to make themselves feel worthy. The funny thing is, that from psychological perspective you are their shadow. They dislike you because there’s something that you allow yourself to do and they don’t. Your confidence and your energy is much higher than theirs and they start to attack you with these EMPTY accusations. I’m sure it’s not about the money, it’s about your character and VALUES that they wish they had. So in my opinion, the best thing to do for now is to send them to that blocklist and never talk to them again. Everything bad they say about you is actually about them. Don’t take that ball ⚽️ to your field. You should continue to be proud of yourself, your life and your values. There’s a reason why these people were out of your life for long time, and I really hope that those that surround you today are more supportive and are happy for every decision you make! ❤️❤️❤️

4 months ago

Edit

seaandtea

THIS. This is the answer and beautifully articulated by u/lulu_fox

4 months ago

Edit

torlamite

You like your job and the people you work with, you get decent money, and it doesn't sound like your work harms anyone. It sounds like you are happy with your life in general, which is tricky to pull off. I see no source for shame. ​ I have worked in several warehouses and/or manufacturing plants, and some of those jobs rule.

4 months ago

Edit

rodentqueen94

oh yeah when i was in college full time working at mcdonald’s full time as a manager i constantly got shit on by customers lol. i had one mom tell their kid in front of me “see this is why you go to college so you don’t have to work at places like this” and i told her “i am in college i’ve been on the deans list every semester and i’m on track to graduate in 20xx” and she was pissed lol it used to bother me but now i know it’s because they are miserable people and want to take it out on someone they deem “lesser than” (AKA essential workers, unfortunately) so they can feel superior for .2. seconds

4 months ago

Edit

forest-for-trees-

i hate how stigmatized retail and food workers are, it's the worst part of the job feeling like certain people think you're below them even if from a class point you'd historically own the land they worked on as peasants lmao. Ok that was dramatic but point being certain people have dumb elitist views about people in service jobs.

4 months ago

Edit

WompaPenith

That person is likely going through some personal problems and felt the need to lash out at you to make themselves feel better. It’s a very toxic coping mechanism and does not excuse their actions at all. And asserting that they’re “making up to 3K/day in commissions” is wildly outlandish and it sounds like something a person caught up in a MLM scheme would lie about.

4 months ago

Edit

photochic1124

That person was an ass. So was that guy I briefly dated one summer who said something to the effect of “well you just do...” (I work in an artistic field) whereas he was apparently saving the world in civic tech. Bitch, art and design is woven into everyday life. Without it not only would the world be less enjoyable, it would also be way harder to navigate.

4 months ago

Edit

DLS3141

Life is hard enough, you don't need people like that in your life. There's a good reason to not speak to them for many more years. Just block them and move on.

4 months ago

Edit

apostrophe_misuse

That is the other person's issue. Nothing to do with you. Block them and move on. Keep living your life.

4 months ago

Edit

Jealous_Durian_5791

Sounds as if the person is trying to make themselves feel better about their crappy job. I can also assure you 100% they are not making 3k per day, if that were the case why would they be messaging you!

4 months ago

Edit

MuffinPuff

People who are too fucking daft to realize they're exposing their own shortcomings while they blatantly lie. No one who is earning that kind of money would waste time harassing people about *anything*, let alone belittling others about their income. The person harassing OP is a fucking ape

4 months ago

Edit

SIMONCOOPERSBALLSACK

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent, so fuck 'em. The fact that you can support yourself, and you like what you do and who you work with is a blessed triangle that most people can't achieve because they're underpaid, hate their coworkers/clients, or get a sense of dread logging in to their email every morning. And I agree with you that I highly doubt this person is making what they say and they just wanted to get a rise out of you. And the answer to your question is YES! Which I don't even get because I work in the most average, basic work environment. Nope, still get heat from some people in trades/construction who brag that they do REAL work while I'll be automated out of my job during my lifetime, heat from artsy friends who tell me they'd kill themselves if they had to sit behind a desk all day, even heat from an old professor guilting me for not spending my postgrad life begging my parents for money to backpack Europe and work as a freelance travel blogger because "life is too short, do you really want to look back and realize you were JUST an office worker?" I just wish people would mind their own business.

4 months ago

Edit

Workaphobia

Listen. If this guy had a job he wouldn't have time to bully you. If this guy had money he wouldn't care how you're doing. He's coming from envy and insecurity, not superiority.

4 months ago

Edit

utopista114

> If this guy had a job he wouldn't have time to bully you In developed countries good jobs are 32-35 hours a week. You have lots of times to bully low class people.

4 months ago

Edit

Derock85

If you can pay for your lifestyle and like what you do other people's opinions should not matter.

4 months ago

Edit

nedschneebly09

Sounds like a psychopath. They must be jealous of you or something. You’re doing great 🤷‍♂️

4 months ago

Edit

Western_Apartment_26

Yea when i was working under a private firm

4 months ago

Edit

Leolily1221

Yes, I have. I moved from the Midwest to California. Putting me in daily contact with my daughters inlaws... and the Job is Horticulture/Professional Gardening (not Landscaping Mow/blow)).They made some comments along the lines of "why would you do that" and that's a job for \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_( racist word),not a woman.Also kept asking why how do I make a living off of it! Blah, Blah,BlahUntil they found out what I charge an hour and that I was hired by a few multi millionaires to do fine gardening on their estate property.I can make more $ in 20 hours than they do in a 40 hour work week. But OP you could always just tell them that work is about more than earning $,it's also important what choose to do with the time spent earning money. I mean if money was the only objective...there are ways to earn money that are more profitable but morally demeaning.

4 months ago

Edit

celtic1888

Are you a predatory venture capitalist or shitty investment banker who bankrupt companies for profit? Do you knowingly pollute the earth purely for profit? Do you harass and scam the elderly for money? If not, don’t worry about what this loser says. If so, they were probably right Edit : forgot to add, ‘do you work for Taleo or had any hand in programming that god forsaken software’ in the list of jobs you should feel bad about

4 months ago

Edit

CatelynsCorpse

People can be such dicks. I'm an assistant. I was hired to be the left hand woman of our Manager. I know everything and can do everything in my department. My boss knows this. My coworkers know this. Our owner knows this. Our clients know this. Hell, I've had clients ask if I could handle their accounts because I was covering for coworkers and their clients liked me better. lmao. But when I tell someone who DOESN'T work here or in my industry what I do, they tend to look down their nose at me and say "oh". It's snotty as fuck and I hate it. Look, I may "just" be an "assistant" but I'm good at what I do and I get to help people and problem solve all day long, which are things that I am really good at. But people who DO work in my industry ALL know who I am. I was lured away from my old job (corporate) to this one (family owned). I could get a job working at any of our local competitors if I wanted to, because I've got a good reputation and it's a niche industry so I know a lot of people. I am not defined by my job title, I am defined by the quality of my work and the satisfaction I get out of it. Fuck anyone who looks down on me for that. Fuck anyone who looks down on anyone who works hard for a living, honestly.

4 months ago

Edit

bac5466

One of my friends is a male nurse and all my other friends make fun of him for it. I don't get it, he's doing what he wants to do and put in the work to get where he is. Not to mention its an important job that helps people everyday. The gender norms in the workforce really need to end!

4 months ago

Edit

BellZealousideal392

I live in the Philippines, the call center industry here is huge and has been for years but people still look down on workers especially if you have a university degree. I have a degree from a really good university here and a lot of classmates and friends don't understand why on earth I'd work in an industry that's considered "service work" and they say it's a waste of a degree and time. In the end I had to leave that job because of covid, but I don't regret taking that job. Customer care is tough, but it pays pretty well here. I was earning the same as my peers despite the fact the work qualifications were considered "lower." Point is, we're all hussling and we all have our own plans and more importantly, needs. A job is a job and so long as it's honest work, no one should make you feel ashamed of it.

4 months ago

Edit

DoubleDual63

I've done this once to my friend in middle school. I was a cunt.

4 months ago

Edit

Gadzuks

There have been moments when I've felt really down about my career choice as well. Feelings like I'm not good enough to make it in the industry or I'm not actually doing anything and simply sucking money from a company. I've had friends say that they're so happy they don't have a job like mine, and that really hurt. At the end of the day it's your choices, not their's. You're normally feeling great about what you're doing and the people you work with. That sounds like a good time to me!

4 months ago

Edit

FrostyLandscape

I have actually seen people who were in very good jobs get belittled by someone else who wasn't "impressed" enough with what they were doing. People can be shallow and competitive.

4 months ago

Edit

ADinner0fOnions

Am cop. People on le reddit call me a bastard :(

4 months ago

Edit

seaandtea

I don't. I call you LaDinnerOfOnions Go catch some criminals you Public Servant, You!

4 months ago

Edit

mrschaney

I was shamed by a sex worker for my job as a manager of three school cafeterias. She sells her body and shamed me. I just laughed at her. Just start laughing at that person.

4 months ago

Edit

forest-for-trees-

not excusing it but that sounds like a defense mechanism

4 months ago

Edit

MonkeyMercenaryCapt

Yeah my now ex-girlfriend who made my life while I was unemployed. Good fucking times.

4 months ago

Edit

im-not-there

I worked for a daycare when I was in college. My dad and brother constantly said it wasn’t a real job and that I was a glorified babysitter. I had to keep 10 tiny humans (infants as young as 6 weeks) alive and happy and the only help I had was a woman who sat in a rocking chair because I couldn’t legally be left with that many infants. Also, I made way more babysitting and it was less stressful.

4 months ago

Edit

Yujimbo420

They're miserable inside and want you to feel the same. Don't feel ashamed!

4 months ago

Edit

PikaSucio

If you’re happy doing your job that’s all that matters. They’re reflecting their misery onto you

4 months ago

Edit

VIK_96

I mean I work as a security guard and I've never had anyone attack me specifically for the job I do. I'm sure it's possible that I could run into a nasty person one day who is extremely anti-cop and they assume I'm on the side of the police. But it hasn't happened yet. Honestly that person sounds like they hate you personally and not for the job you do. I mean distribution center?? How can anyone hate someone for that type of job?? It doesn't make any sense to me. All I'll say is don't worry about it too much.

4 months ago

Edit

sleepysterling

It sounds like this person, who slanders your career choice, silently envied you and took hold of what he thought could hurt you. People like this are so obvious. They, without provocation, seek out to destroy any bit of happiness of the person that they envy. It’s almost always the weak , who are cruel.

4 months ago

Edit

VerySaltyScientist

I spend most my career in research. I got tons of shit since my job involved using lab animals.

4 months ago

Edit

UCSDTritons

Screw them! I don’t care if you clean the sewers. If they don’t feed your kids or pay your bills, their opinions mean nothing.

4 months ago

Edit

thelastvortigaunt

Ignore what they said entirely and contemplate *why* they even reached out to you for moment. What do they stand to gain from degrading an old acquaintance, emotionally? How does that improve their mood or emotional state? People only really feel a need to use others as emotional punching bags when they themselves have issues that they can't get relief from in a healthy way. Think of the trope of the bully who comes to school and picks on other kids because his own home life is unbearably shitty - I'm sure this person's words hurt you, but it should be of some consolation to know that happy, content people simply have nothing to gain emotionally, materially, or otherwise from intentionally being an asshole. This person sounds miserable.

4 months ago

Edit

optigon

Oh yeah, several times. Usually it's people in tenuous situations that are grasping at the brief moment they've "gotten ahead." They know in the back of their minds that their success is temporary, so they're gloating while they can to feed their fragile ego until it vaporizes. Probably the most persistent time someone dogged me for my job was when I grabbed a temporary job after grad school. I had worked from home through undergrad and grad school, and two weeks after I moved back home, I lost my job. So, I applied to a temp agency and ended up working in a couple of local factories. Importantly, I've worked since I was 11. I've washed dishes, operated factory machines, delivered papers, worked retail, whatever. Factories are not new circumstances for me, and honestly, I liked the work. My old job I couldn't get away from, but the factory, while the hours were long and it was physically demanding, the factory stayed at the factory. But so many people there liked to piss all over me working that job. "You went off and got your fancy degree, and here you are with us!" "I can't believe you would go into a bunch of student debt and work in a factory." I even had HR basically laugh at me in my attempt to come on full time, "What are all these degrees about?" At the end of the day, for them, I represented a threat. I had a credential they didn't, and my "ending up" in some job below them bolstered their ego. I mostly just ignored them, because I recognized that they didn't realize that I wasn't "ending up" there, and that my degree gave me options, which I took and now do a lot better than I did then a decade later. Probably the most recent was a guy who, out of the blue, started posting about how awesome it was for him to get into daytrading, when he had *never* posted any interest in it before. He never mentioned learning about due diligence, or basically doing any serious work at it. "You're off at your boring 9-5 and I just made $500 before noon trading options!" In the past few weeks, he's gotten quiet. My guess is that he wasn't making $500 before noon every day. Even if what your guy's saying is true, he likely knows he's not making $3000/day forever, and so he's stroking his ego while he can. He'll likely disappear when it stops.

4 months ago

Edit

happntime

Well they probably aren’t actually doing that well financially and want to bring you down due to their insecurities. Whenever people act in this way, I always see it as them trying to bring the other person down as a way to feel superior and give them some gratification that doesn’t exist in their own lives. Even if they are making what they say, it takes a sad and insecure person to shame someone else in such a way.

4 months ago

Edit

maintain_improvement

Just tell them that you make $3001 per day.

4 months ago

Edit

brown_lal19

Fuck that person. Probably a part of a mlm

4 months ago

Edit

4Ever2Thee

I know it's easier said than done but don't let that hater get you down. I'm sure they're insecure in their own right and putting others down makes them feel better about their own shortcomings, don't even give them the time of day and definitely don't let them second guess your career/job.

4 months ago

Edit

Ash_Fire

Yes. Just recently had a conversation with my dad where he implied that he would never be proud of the work I've done in entertainment (theatre). He wasn't malicious about it (he was trying to encourage me to find something financially more stable), but it struck that same chord with me. I've been able to work in entertainment fairly consistently my whole career, and yeah the pay isn't always great and sometimes I've got more downtime than usual (re: 2020), but I like it. I get to see my labor come to fruition in a meaningful way, I'm challenged with different types of problem solving, also training and working alongside incredible people. But he won't see that.

4 months ago

Edit

acpconapc

Had a “friend” studying Chemistry tell me that “bio majors were stupid and it was an easy major” (I was studying biology) years back when we were still in school. Both of our first jobs ended up being the same pay, for the same thing- a biology related job- theirs being for a company that I denied because they are known to be awful, in addition to them getting their position through nepotism. That comment still scathes years later even though I ended up getting the leg up while they ate their words. It hurts now, but you will come out on top somehow, eventually. Be patient with yourself and your plan, you know you are doing the right thing and that’s all that matters.

4 months ago

Edit

Mrcostarica

Not exactly, but I told my mom I get paid the same as a plumber in 2021 as she did as a nurse in the 1990’s and we’re talking real wages not adjusted for inflation. Her reply was that well her job is more professional? More education needed? Something along those lines. I’m like gtfo, I work for your husband.

4 months ago

Edit

babyypizza

Not my job, but definitely my major. I have my degree in cultural anthropology and many people told me I would never find I job. That literally was not true nor did I have to go to grad school to find a decent paying job.

4 months ago

Edit

Toot-toot-scoots

Omg I used to work at a grocery store with this girl and she was a literall child. She had some beef with a girl we worked with and one awful night, shouted at this girl across the store. Both of them stiring up drama yet saying they hated drama the most. I ended up quitting thank god and unfriended her on Facbook, wanting nothing to do with her and all the mess ever again. However I was invited my other coworker from work to hang out with her group of friends and she was there.... Had to sit next to her half the night. Told her where I worked at now and she called me a loser. Like Without even a hint of sarcasm. My god what a bitch. But yeah, anyone is capable of being a huge a-hole if you just give a hint of an inch.

4 months ago

Edit

Lost_Condas

When I first met my ex's housemates (all artists/musicians/etc.), they actually laughed in my face when I told them that I worked as a legal assistant. I'm not sure what their deal was, since they were the ones who asked. I've never had someone straight up laugh in my face like that and also, why? What's wrong with working at a law firm? I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

4 months ago

Edit

AT1787

Oh geez. Its such a good filter for weeding out people. I used to work in human resources and I had so many eyeballs rolling - I get it, it doesn't do its own favours but people project their own interactions on to me. Even after leaving HR and starting a new career in software development, someone on a dating app basically laughed at me for starting all over in a profession after schooling and working for 10 years. You can't win. Actually I'd say being a distribution center manager for a supermarket is a pretty damn important job especially during covid times when essentials need to be move. That person really isn't all that bright to make that criticism.

4 months ago

Edit

capt_smooth

sounds like an insecurity from them, honestly. any true-to-themselves person would realize that no job is beneath anyone if it provides. i've been in sales and closed deals over 200k, and i've raked golf bunkers for billionaires while they played golf and ignored my presence. it's all about perspective. focus on you and your future and anyone else not concerned or invested can kick rocks.

4 months ago

Edit

Dan6ash

That's alot of energy to go out your way to shit on someone's job. If it's good money for you and your able to stay afloat, I really dont see whats wrong. That pyramid scheme shit someone said is absolutely right. I been in that environment and alot of these cocky mfs think their above everyone. I was making good money in one of those too but I never looked down at anyone that made less then what I made. You shouldn't let that bring you down like that. It's petty of them to reach out to you and dog on you for what you do for a living. It all comes full circle, I was friends with a fake ass person not to long ago. He did the same and told me alot of unnecessary shit you should never say to a friend that helped them through tough times. I forgot what he was doing at the time that was earning him alot of money but shit didn't work out in the end. Had the nerve to ask me if he can crash at my place intel he can get on his feet. Never replied and never looked back. People like that truly do eat their words in the end.

4 months ago

Edit

PatisaBirb

It sounds like some tactic to rope you into an MLM. Block them and move on.

4 months ago

Edit

sunflower_spirit

Maybe they hate their job and taking it out on you. People who are satisfied with their lives aren't concerned with other people's lives. Just ignore.

4 months ago

Edit

TheeRickySpanish

Never to my face, just over the Internet. I’ve been called a baby killer before for serving in the military. My response... LIDFCD🤣 (Laughing In Debt Free College Degree)

4 months ago

Edit

Bourbon75

Yes they have, many of times. And the funny thing is, I actually make a lot more money than some of these people. But since I don't have a college degree like they have and wear work boots and reflective high vis PPE, I must make minimum wage.

4 months ago

Edit

shenanigans2day

Your job is important and more importantly, you enjoy it so don’t let the douche get you down. I highly doubt they make as much as they say they do in commission, but even if they do they could be miserable making that money. You aren’t.

4 months ago

Edit

molockman1

Tell them C U Next Tuesday!

4 months ago

Edit

LilRaichu789

Gosh I hate people like that. Finding fulfillment and happiness in a job is a massive accomplishment. From the little information about the person laying into you, it sounds like they aren't happy with their own career. Just because they can make up to $3,000 a day doesn't mean they're averaging that. I get shamed for my job all the time. I went into fashion design. Long story short, people have a lot of negative things to say about careers in the creative field. So far, I've been very successful in my career because I'm passionate. I got a job that requires 15 years of experience while in my third year of college. Life is short. If you're happy, then you're doing it right😄

4 months ago

Edit

frankOFWGKTA

No. Not personally, but I'm sure it happens. You've got to be a special kind of c unit to belittle a person for their job. I respect anyone who works hard, don't matter what they do, whether they earn 1k or 100000k. Janitors are as important as anyone so are cleaners etc. All people who work serve a function within society. ​ We work to live - we don't live to work! You're happy with your job and that's more than most. The other person who said this is 100000% insecure and they are probably getting shit from their boss for underperforming so they're digging at you whilst they can. Just be glad you ain't them.

4 months ago

Edit

ItchyNarwhal

I call bull on the 3k in commissions daily. I know their comments hurt, but they were doing that with the intention to hurt you. Nothing you said or did would have been enough, because they're "making up to 3k a day in commissions." He's just trying to one-up you. It's a stupid game to make others feel like they're beneath them. People rely on you. Not just the people you train, but those who need groceries. That guy can be selling cars for all I care and you don't need a new car every day. But people need food, daily. Should there be any kink in the distribution chain, you can bet your next paycheck chaos will ensue.

4 months ago

Edit

Disig

Don't let them shame you. If you like your job and make enough to live the life you want, you are winning at life. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. My family has constantly judged what I do for work. They're toxic as all hell and I don't talk to them anymore. But for a long time I never felt good enough. No matter what the job was I'd be asked when I was going to get a "real job" I've mostly worked in cafes and loved it. I'm a writer and it's a great place for inspiration. My husband is a scientist and together we've always made plenty to live our lives happily. I've also worked at a conservation center part time. It was amazing. Apparently that's not a "real job" either. Before my husband and I moved to Canada I had a cubicle job. It was boring but alright. I could listen to podcasts all day at least. But that was the only job they accepted as a "proper job." Fuck what people see as a "proper job". Live the life you want.

4 months ago

Edit

Particular_PeaWI

Don't let the bastards get you down. There is a certain portion of the population that has their head completely up their ass over what job they work and what title they have. For them its an all important pecking order and that can't even conceive that any one might think otherwise or care about something else. Others do the same thing with educational degrees or material goods. Its wildly insecure and stupid. The thing is you can't do anything about these types. Only your reaction to them. Live your life the way you want.

4 months ago

Edit

ilikemyboringlife

My parents...not so much ashamed but the things they said was hurtful. Both of them have very math/science based careers and I do not although I still work with data. They have made frequent comments asking the point of what I do and why clients pay for my work. Their attitude was like why does anyone need this information. I just barely mention what I do and only tell them that yes, I have many clients who pay thousands of dollars for my work so it's useful to someone.

4 months ago

Edit

0N3G4T1V3

One fisherman catches the fish he needs. One fisherman just keeps catching fish compulsively. Which one has the better life? If you caught your fish, you are blessed and the other guy is wasting time. 3000 fish aren’t always a good thing…

4 months ago

Edit

LadyJohanna

The only people who ought to feel ashamed about their income sources (in my book) are thieves and crooks who rob others to enrich themselves. Everyone else? Congrats on working and successfully adulting, go you!

4 months ago

Edit

blakppuch

These types of people are insecure about themselves and appearing like they are successful is more important to them, than actually being successful. My dad is someone like that, he has a “well-paying” job in the corporate world, looks down on his friends who do taxi jobs. All that bragging and he has never bought a house, his taxi friend owns the house he lives in. Buying a house isn’t a measure for success but he definitely has no right looking down on someone that probably earns less but has more assets than he does. He doesn’t even save. So don’t let anyone say shit to you.

4 months ago

Edit

arturobear

Yeah, I used to feel bad about it but not anymore. All that matters is that I find it fulfilling and rewarding. The sector I work in is typically seen as something that uneducated, stupid people do who don't know what else to do with their life. I have a master's degree, as do a few other people I work with. I know I'm not thick as two bricks. I wield my knowledge when I need to. Sometimes I have to mention my degree when certain clients are acting like knob jockeys and insist my colleagues and I don't know anything. What I do is my calling and that is all that matters.

4 months ago

Edit

FuzzArtist

All the time. I work in an mid sized advertising firm. Some of our clients are in industries with less than sterling public reputations. I've been berated often for helping "evil pharma!" or "Big banks!" and the occasional "How dare you market that poison to our community!" for a fucking Coca-Cola ad.

4 months ago

Edit

king_famethrowa

I'm sorry you went through that. I definitely think you should block that person. I've never had anyone intentionally try to make me feel bad about my job, but someone has accidentally made me feel like my job was pointless. I worked in audiovisual for a hotel at the time and I talked with somebody working for one of the bigger companies in the city as a marketer or something. I asked them about their AV department and she said it seemed silly to even have those people around. I didn't really feel that good about my job before and that made me feel even worse. I could definitely tell she felt bad about what she said, but it still hurt.

4 months ago

Edit

Pocket-Veto

Yes, I work in Youth Development. I vividly remember running into a former friend from high school, and he said derisively, "Oh so you're basically a camp counselor?" and laughed at me. Kind of sucked, but obviously I don't do my job for the approval of others.

4 months ago

Edit

Psychic_Bias

Not grief, but I have a few friends who only reach out and want to talk when they have some new promotion or something they want to rub in my face. Like cool bro, haven’t talked to you in 6 months, thanks for letting me know you’re buying a Tesla.

4 months ago

Edit

im_vitas

What industry do they work in?

4 months ago

Edit

_kilarezorpa_

A job is a job. It doesn’t matter if you we’re shoveling dog shit, you’re making money. That person that messaged you probably lies to themselves and everyone else to make them feel better.

4 months ago

Edit

FRELNCER

That's like a whole genre of people. They think their worth is based solely on their work and earnings. Honestly, working with great people is *way* better (as long as you can pay your bills.)

4 months ago

Edit

QPILLOWCASE

He's a dick, happiness is the ULTIMATE life goal, you just have to be confident in the idea that you love your job. You explain it well here, I can see that you love it and you like talking to people (human communication is like the best part of life imo). You should be proud that you get to wake up everyday and feel happy at your job. That's something a lot of people aren't fortunate enough to have. Them you have those people who have tried to be rich from the VERY BEGINNING, and he probably wouldnt be happy in your position so he doesn't understand how you can be happy in a 'shitty job'. All you have to take away from your conversation with him is that he's an elitist, and no one likes elitists lmfao. He's a dick and you're not, he's not even more successful than you because both of you have successfully achieved prioritised different things in life. You're both equally as successful, and your happiness is how you measure yours. I personally understand you, I work in retail and its been rough recently, but when it's not rough it's super fun. You get to talk to all these people from different walks of life, and you probably meet more people here than a lot of other places!! I think you just need to remember that you're both different people, and the only difference is your mind and how you categorise things. You might be EQUALLY as happy/ he's EQUALLY as happy as you when you both achieve something, but the achievement will always be different. You're living a good life, op :)

4 months ago

Edit

tacotruckrevolution

Not only is job shaming awful in and of itself, it also shows complete ignorance of the realities of the modern job market. You seem to be doing well, but a lot of people have trouble finding any decent work through no fault of their own, making it really ridiculous looking down on them. You may as well judge someone's worth on their ability to win the lottery.

4 months ago

Edit

nouseforaname888

Oh yeah. I’m an engineer and I get this kind of disrespect you’re talking about from doctors. Yes great you’re saving lives...and to many of them, I’m some nobody who writes code. Edit: I don’t mean all doctors are this way...I’ve dealt with a sample size that are

4 months ago

Edit

WorkReddit8888

My brother in law degraded me because I was a lab tech at the time. He believed that he was making way more money and that I wasn't good enough for his sister (now wife). He later found out that I was making just as much money as he was consistently; whereas, he would not always make end's meet.

4 months ago

Edit

rixaslost

all the time when i was working in warehouses/manufacturing. if my body would let me i would still be doing it i loved it. now im a work from home technician entry level job its viewed as a lot better idk but i will admit i love staying in pajamas and sandals all day and not having to wear jeans/steel toed boots/safety equipment/ESD gear all day anymore.

4 months ago

Edit

HOOP435

Hi OP! Heck yeah that's been done before! Who cares? Never live your life based on other people's opinions. Then they control your life. No thanks. Geah, Compton! Deep breath and relax. Calm and collected. You are in charge. Do what thou wantest to doest.

4 months ago

Edit

PinkPingers

Well I’ll play devils advocate and not just jump on the pep talk wagon like the rest of this thread. Maybe the reason it stung so much is that you do feel insecure about your job deep down. Here are 2 possibilities: 1) you feel ashamed of your job now that you are comparing yourself to other’s. If this is the case, definitely ignore that nasty person and don’t compare urself to others. If ure truly content and happy with what you do then stay in that positive mindset. 2) you feel ashamed of your job because you realize you’re better than what you do. In this case, ITS OK to feel ashamed... use it as motivation to better yourself. Get training, get a new job. Basically understand the source of your shame. If it’s externally driven from comparing yourself to the Joneses then this is not good. If it is internally driven then that’s ok, don’t settle for less and strive for more/better.

4 months ago

Edit

HOOP435

![gif](emote|free_emotes_pack|upvote)

4 months ago

Edit

drake079

You do you. Don’t let some nasty hateful person ——- whether friend or foe ———- make you feel anything less because of the kind of work you do. If this person is making over 3/4 of a million dollars in commission each year……why are they so nasty? How do they have time to even spend on what they did to you? I’m calling BS. I’m in software sales, and have been for years. I’ve never, not once made that much in commission alone. I don’t know anyone who has. What’s this nasty person selling?

4 months ago

Edit

livebeta

i used to work at a enterprise software company and the rainmakers who brought in 2M ++ at year were easily hitting 500k.

4 months ago

Edit

mzwfan

Yes, and the most annoying part is the people who do this are also ones who don't have any education, experience or qualifications to do what I do are the ones who talk trash. I didn't stoop low and throw it back in their face the irony.. I think it is pure jealousy in many ways. Some people hate to see others who are doing fine.

4 months ago

Edit

Bac0nLegs

Anyone is messaging you with unsolicited information about how much more they're making than you is definitely not making anywhere near that kind of money Lmaoooo. I used to get shit for what I decided to do as a career all the time. I had an old friend tell me that they didn't respect what I majored in (illustration at one of the best art colleges in the country) and then tell me I'd never make it in NYC and that I'd move back home within a year. Lo and behold, I've now been a professional artist in ny for a decade, paid off my loans and am doing okay for my self. I see the anti-artist/staving artist sentiment on reddit all the time. The "If you're not in STEM, you should be embarrassed" mindset. It sucks that people are fucking assholes, but no matter your job, you do an essential service for *someone.*

4 months ago

Edit

M0THMEAT

Honestly F them, I work with sales reps who get large commissions, and guess what, they have no free time or work life balance. Def not worth it to me at all. If you are happy, healthy and able to sustain your lifestyle with the job you have now, that is all that matters!

4 months ago

Edit

Dasheendazzles

Maybe that person is simply jealous of you, you seems to be happy where you are and satisfied. Be aware that “misery likes company”. Don’t be ashamed your job is not immoral, illegal or detrimental to your health. And even so it’s your decision. Stay focused and forgive that person but avoid having prolong conversation with them. The next time they say something hurtful to you. Simply say “I see you are having a bad day, let’s talk another day when thing seems more positive.”

4 months ago

Edit

Middle_Manager_Karen

My wife’s boss, a director, was so threatened by my wife’s intelligence that she filed a performance improvement plan with HR that had 42 separate instances of failed performance. So many that if they were ever brought up in 1-1’s that would equate to less than 3 minutes of coaching per instance. It was a complete lie and made my wife feel very ashamed of her job. She has ten years experience in a lucrative six figure role and the director had the audacity to say she was so horrible that she should be fired. My wife got a new job

4 months ago

Edit

nzag

Reply with the following two words "fuck off"

4 months ago

Edit

manlymanmanman925

My mom once instigated a deep conversation about where I wish I were in life and to get mad she didn’t follow through with promises. She did it to ask me if I enjoy construction and don’t I feel it is beneath me. This was when I was working a laborer job in construction. I am working where I can to survive ya jerk. Not always what you say but how you say it like sure I feel you failed me and no what I have done for myself isn’t beneath me thanks.

4 months ago

Edit

fr4kie90

My dad does. He doesn't understand why I can't get a job in my desired field. He keeps making jokes about how you need a college degree to work a blue collar job.

4 months ago

Edit

peepoook

This sounds like some kind of MLM cult attack.

4 months ago

Edit

plerplerpler

This says more about them than it does about you. They obviously can't be that happy with their career and life choices since they felt the need to cuss you out for no reason.

4 months ago

Edit

WorldEcho

Different jobs have different perks and benefits. Some supposedly high paying jobs have all sorts of hidden aspects that can be a nightmare (and some are probably great). Some jobs are more high stress than others at both ends of the wage scale. You never need be ashamed about your job, it is a perfectly respectable job and to be honest the other person sounds like they have mental health issues (no offence meant to anyone with mental health problems but things can affect people differently but don't generally make you an idiot) , or they could just be a grade A egotistical person with inner self loathing or an inferiority complex. Well done for cutting them off.

4 months ago

Edit

FrostyLandscape

Is this person who was shaming you & bragging about his job, in an MLM (Multi level marketing business) by any chance? They are well known for making up stories about how well they are doing, when they actually aren't. And trying to recruit other people by getting them to quit their current job and work for the MLM. Lots of people in sales lie about how much they earn. Only about 5% of people who work on straight commission earn enough to live on comfortably. This is an actual statistic. Your friend is probably a braggart who doesn't do that well. IN fact, almost every person I've ever known who boasts about their job, doesn't really have a great job. They're lying. If I were you I'd tell this person to not contact you anymore and block their email and phone number. Do not speak to them again and tell them any more attempt at contact with you will be construed as harassment, and that you'll contact law enforcement if they continue contact.

4 months ago

Edit

flippermode

They are 100% in a pyramid scheme and trying to recruit you. You hand the upper hand in life. Can we see the screen shots of Convo? We're good at spotting mlm and I am willing to bet money they're in one based on what you said. Did they say things like BE YOUR OWN BOSS? MAKE YOUR OWN HOURS? etc?

4 months ago

Edit

vampslayer53

I have a master's in applied economics. I work at a warehouse putting boxes from a trailer on a conveyor. The other day someone was like why are you working here. Oh because I felt like it. Why have a good paying job when I can do this instead with a bunch of kids.

4 months ago

Edit

BitsBytes1

Tell you them to choke on your balls and then stop responding.

4 months ago

Edit

avomecado21

Does your job brings you joy? Looks like it. Do you get paid decently? Looks like it too. And on top of that, you work with some incredible people. Sounds like you're enjoying your job so that's a huge plus, not everyone is as lucky as you, at least for me. Yes, they may have earn that much in a day (BS or not) but I'm sure they're not as happy as you are when it comes to job satisfaction.

4 months ago

Edit

LEEFONTAINE404

U can't please everybody. Sorry to say. I had a ex talk about my job while they were going to school. Years later they still haven't worked in the field they went to school for. So everything will balance out with time.

4 months ago

Edit

AutomaticYak

What a weird thing to do if you’re as happy and well off as this person claims. Why would you even care about someone you (I mean them) haven’t seen in years? Clearly this person is miserable. Is there any other backstory? A falling out?

4 months ago

Edit

the_siloviki

A co-worker recently told me that my job is not as challenging as his. A few weeks ago, he also tried to change my job description. I responded by grabbing his shirt and he got scared as fuck LMAO. He did not report it to my manager, since he has already ruined his reputation a while back.

4 months ago

Edit

accidentally-cool

Did you know that literally tens of thousands of people could not feed their children if you didn't do your job? *YOU ARE IMPORTANT* We need you and your job, there is not a single thi g to be ashamed of.

4 months ago

Edit

Bowler377

One of the companies I worked for made me feel incapable and juiced in with above average pay for years, until I was laid off when Covid hit.

4 months ago

Edit

CrimsonPromise

I've had people question why I'm not looking for higher career aspirations. Like why do I just want to be an "employee", why not be a manager, head of department, why not be my own boss. I'm not a people-person, I'm not a leader nor do I want to be. I'm happy just doing my job, getting paid and than enjoying my life. Will I earn more money? Well, yes. But I know myself enough to know that I would be absolutely miserable. Point is, I'm happier being another cog in the machine. But every cog is there for a reason and is important in their own right. So don't let people try to shame and guilt you into otherwise thinking.

4 months ago

Edit

IHeartHiaasen

Two theories: 1.) The person is a woman involved in an MLM and is trying in a (really) weird way to recruit you, or make herself feel better by projecting her insecurities about her pseudo-career onto you; OR 2.) The person is a man trying to “neg” you in an attempt to make you more receptive to his romantic advances, or he’s projecting his insecurities into you. Either way, that person coming at you unprovoked says far more about them than it does about you. Stay in your joy, and just know that that individual is likely very unhappy and can’t stand the idea that someone is happy where they are, and not wasting time envying them.

4 months ago

Edit

missnatashiab

I was shamed into quitting a job that would have given me a career in something I enjoyed because my ex thought it didn't make enough. I ended up getting black balled from the company and over $10,000 in loans trying to get a career he deemed good enough.

4 months ago

Edit

ChadlikesMilfs

i dont job shame. theres no joy in it. ive had jobs i loved and hated. good paying and low paying. if youre able to get by then youre doing better than most.

4 months ago

Edit

DanishJohn

I live with my parents. They are understanding and good people. I love them. However, my uncle and aunt, well not so much. They once sneered at me and talk shit for working as a cook (not anymore but not for this reason).

4 months ago

Edit

Electrical_Aspect_72

Hell yeah but ignore them they are either assholes or insecure about their own life or achievements or both

4 months ago

Edit

RadioactiveDeveloper

That person has a deep held jealously involving you in some way. Anyone that would do something like that is high insecure about themselves and not someone you want in your life. Good luck!

4 months ago

Edit

redhead_hmmm

I'm a school teacher. Nothing makes me more proud then seeing a former student of mine who is now employed at the local fast food or who has started a nursing job. I am proud equally! Both are contributing members to society and that is what most teacher strive for-to create humans who become positive memners of society!

4 months ago

Edit

HoldOrFold23

My manager has. And that's a messed up confusing feeling.

4 months ago

Edit

moofyre

Hi! If you're doing something that's paying your bills and you're living on your terms, then it's not up to anyone else. Self-love is needed here. You've got value and you shouldn't care about the lens others see you in but in real life, those opinions weigh heaviest on our thoughts. They're judging you without walking in your shoes. Unfair of anyone! So take a break from talking to negative people for a while. Take so.e renewed interest in yourself! Hope your weekend will be doing well!

4 months ago

Edit

cindy34tiger

Housekeeper here. We were short staffed. Someone who was covering my shift was told to do nothing. (Leaving me double the work the next day) because they should get paid more to do my job. Because they had a certificate in something somewhat but not really related (but considered above me). You don't need a certificate to be a housekeeper. Anyway. They already get paid more. Because they are in a "more important line of work." So they'd technically would get paid more to do my job. But they said they should get paid even more AND do nothing cause they're too good to do my job because they took a one year certificate program unrelated. To fold laundry, clean, and take out garbage. Yeah, I had to walk away from that conversation. I also had double the work the next day. I had an owner tell my boss saying my colleague (who happened to have down syndrome but did his job just fine) that he got the job no one else wanted (because of his down syndrome). I wore the same uniform and was right in front of them. My boss didn't say anything. I was so baffled I couldn't get a word out and I still wish to this day I said something snarky. My different boss said fuck the laundry one night when we were illegally down a person when we needed a minimum requirement so I could fill a position I could do, but didn't go to school and would have probably resulted in some sort of lawsuit if anything happened. Nothing happened, but i had to rush everything or else I'd have extra work the next day. I reached a point that I was ashamed to wear my uniform. Until I'd start training and 90% of the people couldn't clean properly and hardly lasted 3 months in. I learned that so many people don't have the bare basics such as discipline, work ethic, and basic organization skills. It's not a hard job, maybe hard in labour as you're on your feet all day. I'm getting out in about a month though so cheers to that.

4 months ago

Edit

randomkeystrike

First of all, no matter what their motivation was - your job is important and it sounds like you like it, so nuts to this this person... Next - it *really* sounds someone priming you for a come-on about a multi-level marketing scheme. Negging people about their job, their income (and in many cases, their body if part of the pitch is to try some "health" product) is par for the course. The people who run these things are looking for stupid, insecure people to recruit more stupid, insecure people, so this kind of taunting is typical. If you're not very familiar with MLM schemes, spend some time looking at the posts at /r/mlm to look at the crap they pull.

4 months ago

Edit

takeitbreakit

While in college I had a job where I also was in charge of throwing out the trash and helping around the office. Which I told my step brother about once while drinking... about how much I hated it. Years later he made fun of me for having worked that job in a group chat, and he was trying to be hurtful about it for some reason? So I stopped talking to that lil bitch 😂😂😂

4 months ago

Edit

shanethapain54

Yeah. But forget them. As long as you're working, paying your bills and keeping a roof over your head. There is nothing to be ashamed of.

4 months ago

Edit

sammro

What makes me jealous is not the amount other person makes but their dedication to the job, I make 60k~ (not impressive to begin with) but sometimes I come across someone making 2/3rd of that but absolutely gives their 100% to job, it kills me inside so much that I want to make them feel ashamed lol like that person did to you. It’s like being rich but without love in your life, maybe he does make truck loads but feels so empty inside doing sales that he resorted to this behaviour. Some jobs invoke passion inside you, whereas some fill your bank account but suck the soul out of you. Do not allow others to control your state of mind.

4 months ago

Edit

Dabrigstar

Yes, I worked a call centre job for a few years and when I was on dating sites the moment I told people I worked in a call centre it was an unmatch! there is not a least sexy job out there!

4 months ago

Edit

Weavercat

Hey, did the friend say what the job is? Because if they didn't......it's probably not a real-job and they probably pay into multi-level marketing-scheme. ​ HEY. Don't you feel ashamed. I depend on you DC folks for my products (pet supplies) to sell in the store I work retail for. I may not be super thrilled with the current shortages of products for the store but I respect the heck out of you. You folks at all DCs make sure those of us at the store-level get our products. You keep us running and I am so thankful for you. ​ Keep doing the job, so I can do my job, so that folks can get the items they need to keep their pets happy and healthy. You rock OP!

4 months ago

Edit

Bitchy-Witchy96

Honestly no matter what I've done someone had the opinion it was shit. Grocery store? Get a real job. Fast food? Get a real job. Factory? You should want something better for your life. Now working at a gas station, its get a real job again. Once I earn my degree I'm sure people will say I racked up a bunch of student loan debt and could have done anything else and had been just as successful. Some people just like to look down their noses. If you're happy with what you do, you are the luckiest person, because I've hated most of my jobs and just finding something that's tolerable is my goal.

4 months ago

Edit

meingluhwein

Hairdresser here! I've got used to lot's of passive agressive comments from family and some 'friends'. Saying I'm to smart to become a hairdresser, asking if I'm going back to study again, asking if I don't want a sidejob in a different field, etc. Some clients also not taking the job serious and therefor me. Expecting that, because I'm in the service +beauty industry, I'm dumb and very vain. At the beginning it got to me, I felt ashamed of my job/craft because it got associated with being a simple woman. But I've learned to hold my head high, do what I do with so much pride and I noticed it scares the shamers off. I love to my core what I do, and that's all that matters. If they can't see the value in me waking up everyday loving what I do, I don't see the value in having those people around.

4 months ago

Edit

hdhaoab

If you haven’t talked to them in years and they do this, they sound pretty sad to me, they obviously have nothing else so brag about their pay check . You work hard and bring home money to live and feed yourself,thats the point of work- it would be stupid to be ashamed of your work unless you were making bombs or some evil job

4 months ago

Edit

AcrobaticCulture5

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. That person is an idiot.

4 months ago

Edit

s89123

If you think about it, it’s really weird for someone to care so much about what another person (who they haven’t spoken to in years) does for work. If they try to message you again just pretend you forgot who they were and ask like “Who are you again?” or “I don’t remember where youre from, can you remind me?” Because if you really look at it they clearly have some obsession with impressing you if they message you details of how much they’re making. If you want to be extra patronizing/snotty about it (couldnt help myself lol :-)) you could respond with something like “Aweee! That’s so cute how you wanted to tell me what you do for work! Should I let everyone know about your big accomplishment?” So don’t think of it in terms of they wanted to put you down, think of it as a person who you havent talked to in YEARS is still caring about what you think. Clearly you must have made quite the impact in their life for them to care so much about what you think.

4 months ago

Edit

klassykitty

Hey, try not to let it get to you. Nobody should be shamed for what they do for a job. Especially not someone who seems happy, or at least content with what they do. It doesn’t matter how small the job, there’s a need for it to be done. Shoutout and respect to anyone doing a job that gets looked down on or glanced over.

4 months ago

Jobs For You