Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

How do you keep up motivation to job hunt after losing your job, career, with countless rejections and no ambition anymore?

6 months ago

|

As title.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Desertbro

Happened to me. No ambition doesn't mean you can't do a few things that you like. In my case, still enjoy new games, new movies & shows, and travel anywhere outside the city limits. I'm down on the first rung and work to eat and pay for web & gas. Ambition takes time to build. You do the simple things first. For me, the ambition is not career, but in traveling to various places - most are out of financial reach - but I thought that 35 years ago before my first trip overseas.

6 months ago

Edit

Bewileycoyote

I play games. With my friends. We use a video chat and board game arena. Online games with friends? Just add video. It’s not the same, but it goes a ways toward socializing. As far as motivation? Pay the rent, internet, food. Yeah.

6 months ago

Edit

Knob_Gobbler

Work culture was total shit before the pandemic. Now looking for jobs is a waking nightmare.

6 months ago

Edit

esponapule

👆this

6 months ago

Edit

BjornReborn

I outsourced to a staffing agency. I was burnt out. Never made it to interviews or anything. 500+ applications in deep; mentally exhausted. Tired. You name it. A random staffing agent got ahold of me and told me they were going to help me find a job - I just had to fill out some stuff, which I did. 24hrs later, I got a call to set up a time for an interview and then 48hrs later, I accepted their full time offer after the interview. If you have any reputable staffing agencies near you who you can call, I’d start there.

6 months ago

Edit

MountainDude95

I second this. I got a job through a temp agency almost two years ago and landed a permanent position at the company I temped at seven months later. I couldn’t be happier with how my experience working with a temp agency went.

6 months ago

Edit

Zero1345

It’s ok to take a break some days. But for me my motivation was just the desire to prove those that passed me by wrong and to just prove that I’m useful and can do wonders in the world. Job market is a lot of luck and a lot of numbers. When I got laid off I was easily applying to 20-40 roles a day. And it took 4 months to get something. Celebrate the little victories too. If you get a call pat yourself in the back and motivate yourself to get another call from elsewhere. Hell when I can I even used the job hunt process to show a “never give up” attitude to the recruiters and managers.

6 months ago

Edit

Little-Friendship765

The threat of falling behind on bills and homelessness. That's literally the only thing.

6 months ago

Edit

pointlessopinion101

I second that thought as I'm barely hanging on that line lol

6 months ago

Edit

mythrowawaypdx

TLDR incl. Sorry so long but For me creating deadlines has helped me to mostly stay focused on the job search, also coming to Reddit helps in those moments I am frustrated. Are you getting rejected after interviewing or submitting applications? From my experience it's always been my resume to blame if I'm not getting job interviews. I make sure that I use specific cover letters and resumes for specific jobs and tweak them both to include key words from the job description so I pass the algorithm. The 1st time I revised my resume it honestly took weeks. I researched everything from fonts to phrases to avoid. I had to creatively make mundane tasks sound crucial. It worked and a decade later it's still the foundation for my resume now. If you are getting interviews and not job offers brush up on your interview skills. I've always been great at interviewing but still brush up for hours before the interview. In mid Feb I started looking for a new job and got 0 replies, I realized my resume needed a revision. By March 1st I was applying to jobs with my new resume and cover letter. My goal was to give it a month to see if this revision got + feedback and it did. I heard back from about 50% of employers and got 2 interview requests by mid March. I ended up passing on 1 interview because that time waiting made me understand exactly what I wanted in a job, fair compensation and work/ life balance. The area I live in has very few jobs that meet that criteria so I could only apply to a few a week. My current job was cutting hours and being a new hire I knew I could be laid off and that had caused a great deal of stress and pressure. ​ The interview process for the job I interviewed for was disorganized. I started to beat myself up because I thought I blew my interview but then I reminded myself that my goal was just to get interest in my resume and cover letter, 2 interview requests meant I was ahead of my goal and I shouldn't fall apart over success. I didn't plan to get a job until a month after I knew my resume was good. I allowed myself to be a little upset over not getting this job and planned to reach out and see if they could offer constructive criticism and thank them for considering me. If I had failed to get interest 2 weeks into applying I would have started to make tweaks to my resume. When I found out that I got the job I was thrilled and especially :) knowing that I wouldn't fall to pieces if I was disappointed in the future. ​ TLDR: I set deadlines for when I want to achieve a certain outcome. If I'm not getting the results or the outcome seems unlikely I see what I can improve on. If needed I'll push a deadline forward and be forgiving with myself. If I get frustrated but am ahead of my goal I give myself credit for that too and it helps me calm down and Reddit is super supportive in general about job search burnout. Normally my resume needs to be updated so I do that. I make sure to tailor my resumes and incl key words from the job description. I give it 2 weeks to see if my resume and cover letter are getting + feedback, if it's good I leave it alone and stay focused on my search, if bad I make more revisions. I also brush up on interviewing skills. Once a company has offered an interview I start doing lots of research on the company so my answers will be relevant to the company values.

6 months ago

Edit

Turtle6446

PERSISTENCE. Never give up, it’ll separate you from the quitters. Good luck!

6 months ago

Edit

jhageorgetown

Have a "Come what may" approach to life. No matter how hard life hits you, hit it back with your perseverance, consistency, and courage. Am sorry if it's not a direct answer, but am reading a book called Rashmirathi it's really good and has given me a lot of strength.

6 months ago

Edit

The_Question757

Don't dwell on the rejections. Consider you winning through death by a thousand cuts, every new application is another chance you'll land a job

6 months ago

Edit

JoblessAndAJoke

So every rejection is another cut closer to death essentially? Yay thanks.

6 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

6 months ago

Edit

Homey_Muse

Learn new skills related to your career (or skills that will make you change career and assess more opportunities). In the meantime, reach out to service agencies and improve your networking.

6 months ago

Edit

lucky_719

You don't quite frankly. It's hard as hell out there. You recognize it is less to do with you and more to do with the times we are in. You double down on discipline. And you keep applying to anything you are remotely qualified for or start looking at alternative ways to earn money or ways to improve your skillset.

6 months ago

Edit

beereng

Pretty much summed up what everybody says here.

6 months ago

Edit

AubreyJenson

I was unemployed from September 2019 until August 2020. I completely understand how you feel. It can become discouraging. I kept my faith and continued to apply. Use this opportunity to start a business. Flip furniture, make a youtube channel about your experience, make a tiktok account, etc. Let this be your motivator to be your own boss. That way no one can fire you but you. I started a business and it's growing. Slowly, but it's growing. Soon, I won't have to worry about coworkers, unqualified bosses and wondering if today's going to be my last day. Good luck! You can do this!!!

6 months ago

Edit

Big_Jim59

You need a win. Your goals are huge (job, career, fulfillment etc.) You need to start chalking up wins in your win column and to do that you start small. Make your bed, read a book, do laundry, clean something, clean something for someone else. If you play a musical instrument practice. Give blood. A win is doing a job that has value, you can finish and do well. I understand your position all too well. I lost my last career level job in 2000. I spent the next 3 years looking for work, working crappy contract jobs and begging for money from my family to keep my house and feed my kids. It's easy to despair but don't. There is a great line from the Tom Hank's movie Castaway. He says "You never know what the tide may bring." Every day you have to go out their and keep going because you never know what great things are on the way. I never got back to the career but I am working and happy now. My kids grew up, my house is paid for and the dark days seem like a bad dream.

6 months ago

Edit

Flimsy_Examination29

Keep trying! Vent to your friends and family, vent on here as much as you need and keep doing what you can. I swear to god no matter what you're feeling now, it will all go away the second you get that first offer!

6 months ago

Edit

kid5868

Hi, I share with you my story as well as my situation. It is already 1.5 years since the moment I graduated. I still have no job. I try and try and try again and again, but no offer so far. I am miserable the whole 2020. Since this year, although I still have no job permanently yet, but I still earn some money, not too bad to maintain my life and continue my dream later. whenever I felt down, I watch some videos from TED to motivate myself, going to youtube to look for videos about stars who had gone through hell before they are who they are now. It motivates me a lot to keep going. There were moments in last year, I felt like I wanted to end my life and killed myself. So I deeply understand your mental fear. But hey, we still continue to live and outlive ourselves. I must believe that there are some ways out for me in the end of this. So I hope I can help you, even though that we are totally strangers and might know little or nothing about each other. You can inbox me if you want someone, just to rant about anything at all.

6 months ago

Edit

SilentJon69

I’m losing my motivation to find another job while working in retail for 1.5 years as I’m too exhausted after working my shift to try and find a better paying job

6 months ago

Edit

Jobsarethatbad

Let me say your not alone and countless people are in the same situation as you but it’s not you, it’s asshole companies. People are just not hiring right now, pandemic has hit people hard but their only now getting the worst effects of it. Not to mention the rise in minimum wage also effects hiring, more automated than actually people, grocery store fired half its workers down the street and put in automated registers. Also because people cannot afford to pay people like they need too either. So many variables it’s crazy. However you cannot let that get you down, compile a list of your skills resume etc, I don’t know what your career was but have you thought of freelance and or starting your own consulting or regular business. Your smart and use that noggin of yours. Take two weeks and bing watch the shit out of whatever you want, eat what you want then get up off your ass and do what you need to do. If you get another rejection screw them they clearly are idiots and not worth your time.

6 months ago

Edit

beereng

Consulting in what? Don’t you have to have a lot of experience for consulting jobs

6 months ago

Edit

Fappington22

Something that made more sense was the need to be malleable. Really I just wore myself out so much that I physically needed to take a big step backward and then a very intentional step forward. Maybe I’d touch up my resume, or re-write my about page. No matter how big or small if it keeps you from running into the same outcomes.

6 months ago

Edit

alyannebai

Work out! I got to a point where my anxiety and depression were getting bad because of this. I would be up at least 24 hours 3-4 times a week and couldn’t sleep unless I had a friend come spend a night or take a nap with me. Weight gain, face breaking out, wasn’t eating well. Job searching made me sick tbh. One night I didn’t sleep at all and when 7am rolled around I legit was like fuck it, I’m gonna do cardio. So I did 30 minutes of hip hop cardio and forced myself to fake fun until it got actual fun. Went out and got a snack, took a long shower, and made a conscious effort to eat healthy(ish) that day. The cardio was deadly BUT the you feel better afterwards. I also set goals. I would sit for hours aimlessly scrolling. Tell yourself “today, I’m going to make a list of 3 applications, write two cover letters, and reach out to one former colleague for relationship maintenance.” You will be more productive when you have a set goal. Drink water. Take breaks. You gotta love on yourself in times of stress because you will spiral. It took me two full scale crying of the floor not eating level breakdowns and one minor breakdown and hours of mom encouragement to realize this: The moral of the story is you gotta take it one day at a time. There is no job if there’s no you. ETA: Good luck, ive been where you are and spent 8 months in the trenches because I was a 2020 grad getting countless rejections and being ghosted. Your time will come 💕

6 months ago

Edit

Fe3o

apply for more until that one company you applied by accident and maybe you didn't think of reach you and maybe things could go better but don't just say I'm tired of applying to job or I wont apply to this and that because i might get rejected

6 months ago

Edit

luvpillows

There's no motivation. You simply have to keep applying to land a job.

6 months ago

Edit

summerofevidence

Buy a drill and hammer and start your own handyman business! Seriously I was in the same boat. Got fired, and came to the realization I was just bad at the line of work and the industry I was in for 10+ years. Signed up on TaskRabbit to hold me over while I dealt with an onslaught of rejections and shitty job offers. Eventually got to a point where I was earning more being in my own than I would be at my normal poaition. Plus I was getting spoiled with the flexibility of not having to check in with a boss.

6 months ago

Edit

Patience_Fluid

This is a tough question, but I graduated college during Corona and was unemployed for 6 months. That time was miserable and filled with a lot of self doubt and angst. I will try me best to recall how I got through this time. First, I tried to celebrate small goals. Just a job application a day, something that isn't difficult to do, I would try and do it and then congratulate myself when I did. A problem a lot of people have, is they set forth a goal, meet the goal, and then immediately think "I did 1 job app today... I can do 2 tomorrow!" which takes the accomplishment you just made away from yourself and also sets yourself up for failure. This is a good goal, but the problem it takes away from the success you had today but also sets yourself up for failure tomorrow. Because, what happens if you don't apply to 2 jobs? Or what if you do, do you try for 3 the next day? It isn't sustainable. My point is, celebrate your victories and don't take them away from yourself by trying to do more. If you try and do more and more you'll eventually fail, feel worthless, and then it is just a negative loop of feeling like a failure. Second, I was pretty lucky to have a good support group. My girlfriend, now fiancée, was very encouraging and kind. I would tell her I applied to a single job that day and her response would be something like "Good! You are doing do well!" instead of something like "Why not more?". And the days where I really struggled and applied to nothing she didn't put me down she just said it was okay and that she loved me. Also, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend counseling to deal with my anxiety and self worth and hopelessness. I know that isn't an option for everyone, but if it is it helps. I know universities offer counseling as part of tuition, so if you are in college leverage that counseling. It can really help! Lastly, and some people will not like this take, but I just rised to the occasion. In other words "I picked myself up by boot straps". I knew I needed a job and I knew the only way to get one was to apply. I knew that once I got one I would be able to finally do things I wanted, like proposing, starting my family, moving out, basically become an adult finally. So... I just kept doing what I knew needed to be done. Obviously, there were days where nothing got done... but there were also days where I got a lot done. Eventually, things started to take a turn for the better, as they inevitably do if you put in the effort, and I got a few interviews and finally a job offer. TL;DR Celebrate small victories and don't take them away from yourself, it is important to have a good support system (loved ones, family, friends), and "rise to the occasion" and do what you know has to be done to get to where you want to be. I am 23 and just starting my career, so this may not help people in a different situation than me, but I hope this helps.

6 months ago

Edit

SwannyWilkinson

Happening to me right now. Lost my job thanks to Covid after I finally found a career path I loved in my 30's. I've made it to final stage interviews at 5 places now and been beaten out by people who are either more "experienced" or already in the particular industry I'm applying for. And it's a kick in the teeth everytime. The point is you don't have a choice, either get up and go again and believe something will drop or it never will. Because if you don't someone else will. I don't mean that as some self help motivation bullshit that is reality. I'm here with you mate it sucks but you need to have confidence in yourself and keep going.

6 months ago

Edit

-KuroOkami-

I don't

6 months ago

Edit

gremus18

Become a Socialist

6 months ago

Edit

CombinationTough6984

I've applied for a job I really want and the likelihood is I won't even get an interview...and I have a redundancy meeting tomorrow....great

6 months ago

Edit

LonghairedHippyFreek

Usually hunger and the threat of being kicked out of your domicile for non-payment rent/mortgage takes care of it.

6 months ago

Edit

taintmoun

Playing YOLO in stock market option and make 200% profit in a day ($JPM profited 600% last Friday for put at one point), making 1400$ stimulus to 8000$ in one day, and perhaps we can forget about finding a job for a while and question why anyone needs a job. Sure playing YOLO in stock market requires 1) courage (personally, it still takes me more courage than asking a Tinder match to go out for a night) 2) good timing (luck such as 2020 when COVID19 hits)/ 3) some research, but generally all of them were much easier than jumping the hoop to secure a job that pays 30K. Sure, I lost 70% in one day, which was around my 3 month living expense, but so what? Given that you have right information and right timing, this is like flipping a coin, where Success/Fail will converge into 50% chance at the end if you play 500 times (which is why I was able to bet against odd for $Game\_Stop, when it reached out 100$ and sold back at 350$ in one day because at the end of days, it was 50% chance profit I can enjoy or 50% loss I have to eat). I agree that this is oversimplified version, and in real stock market investment, the success rate can be calculated much smaller, but if you only do big day trading with YOLO theme, it's 50% (because at the end of days, the result is that underlying stock goes up or goes down, only two consequence). You have to sell whether you make profits or loss, and then it's 50% chance of Success (and for US markets, there's what's called Pattern Day Trading to prevent this from happening if one's asset is less than 25000$). ***50% is much much, much higher chance than getting a job offer when there are 10 job applicants per one position (10%), right?*** Often time, for entry level position, due to general requirement, job applicants can be more than a few dozen, where the chance is proportionally decreasing. Sure you have to eat your lose on capital if loss occurs with 50% chance, but what else do you have to lose for when current job market requires B.S. degree with 5 years of experience for annual salary around 30K to 40K? Not to mention that the employers often expect every single finest of your capabilities in current employment market For a record, I believe anyone needs a job to get more income to play in the market, but the job doesnt have to be everything we need to accomplish financial needs. In fact, I am constantly exploited by corporate America for shareholders (my employers pay around 5% annual dividends, meaning that if someone has 1 million USD, 50K USD must be paid to the shareholder, which is significantly portion of my annual salary when all the shareholder is doing is to hold the stock without lifting fingers while I have to work overtime occasionally). As such, I am inflicting more pain to employees I make profits from (ears to ears, and eyes to eyes) by taking out every single bit of capital income. Edit: On the flip side, when my employer decided to hire me, they viewed me as more than 1 million dollar assets (At least my hiring manager), which is why they hired me to pay the salary we mutually agreed to. Maybe this can help to motivate anyone when they actually calculate? When your YOLO play is successful enough that your asset sits around 1 M$, you can laugh off at job interviewers if interview goes south and leave the scene. I am only dreaming as my asset is only 10% of it, and but so far it has been successful. I dont have to be a desperate job seeker, who would just have to eat what employers are seeking from me, since I can refuse to take the offer if I see some red flags (such as multiple interview, and decision for a job offer is delayed, or etc). I will just shrug off and leave saying "Thank you for your time, but really no thank you". Start with your 1400$ stimulus check or how much you are comfortable. I started from last year's 1200$ and made it so far here. Just with a caveat, though, that I am employed in very stable position and have good employers (but I am still looking for a better job), and even if I lose my current employment, I have enough assets to cover me for any foreseeable time (first with my own assets and then family), so maybe your position is different than mine, but basically, that's how I can handle when my job application is rejected. If this doesnt work for you, I just want to remind you that labor income wont make your financial needs met, period, meaning that job is only one of many source of incomes, but it's not mandatory. You can't achieve your American dream (or whatever dream) by working just hard as you can and saving every single bit of penny. That time is gone.

6 months ago

Edit

ProductivityMonster

you may not have enough training or the right training to have an in-demand career. It's going to be either a) a lifetime of being treated like shit by employers and underpaid or b) get the right degree/cert/experience and move up in the world you get certs/education/etc and reapply. You may need to go back to school (and invest the time, money (loans) and energy into it). I generally give it 6 months (maybe a year due to the pandemic) of mainly job searching (with some on-the-side studying/training/certs) to find another job and if nothing, go back to school for something in-demand that you have some interest in. Most of the in-demand stuff is difficult and unpleasant, but that's why it's in demand/pays well. Sucks, but that's life. In the pandemic, the people who mostly (although not all obviously) lost jobs are the low-educated, highly replaceable workers. Life is really tough and it takes a lot of work to become a highly educated, hard-to-replace worker. Gain the skills and move up or keep fighting a losing fight in the job market as a low-skill, highly replaceable worker.

6 months ago

Edit

Aff_Mark_V

It's hard to face rejections. And extremely hard when it happens continuously. But, the more you try the more are your chances. PS - I filled more than 100 applications before landing 4 shortlists and 1 temporary offer. Still trying. But, not that hopeful at moment.

6 months ago

Edit

theCHAMPdotcom

I am with you, I think the right job will speak to me eventually. It is tough, but for me the key is not slowing down.

6 months ago

Edit

triviumfan4ever93

Try signing up for Doordash or Ubereats, then drive to the city and make money

6 months ago

Edit

SoulfulYam

I've never had a career to begin with, but I have been working a dead end job for two years now. I tried job hunting last summer and I just got countless rejections. I've never had any passion or ambition either. I'm convinced that it's just straight up impossible to keep up the motivation. I stopped trying by the end of the summer and I really just can't be bothered to try again.

6 months ago

Edit

Sirius_ana

What helped me: First,understanding that this job market is worse then ever before and competition is more fierce, so tecetions are not entirely about me but rather a overwhelming candidate pool. Second, reminding myself that i don't need a 1000 jods, one would be enough and it sounds more achievable. Thirdly, strategizing how to find jobs with less competition at application, researching potential employers that do not advertise their postings far and wide. The companies sometimes only post about the potential job in a linkedin post ( not linkedin jobs, just a plain post)or on their website that doesn't havd that much of a traffic.

6 months ago

Edit

sashaeskandar

Hey sorry not answering the q but no one seems to be able to answer my question (that I’ve asked) I have an internship this summer whilst finishing my MSc This is my first internship in financial services (it’s a fintech) and honestly it’s probably the coolest company to say you’ve interned for. Here’s the issue. I’m doing it remotely and I don’t think I’ll be able to convert it into a full time job after. Basically there HQ is in Singapore and I’m in the uk. It’s an SME & I was told that they have taken on interns before (implying they were in a similar position to me) but I just don’t know what I should/can do to really get this locked in place. I honestly would take a dirt low salary for a full time position (bc the company really is just the dream for me) but then there’s getting your visa sponsored (not hard bc I have the background, qualifications etc) but obviously they’re probably going to be less inclined bc it’s a hassle. So any advice? I’ve seriously punched above my weight with this internship and just don’t want to let go of it now I have it. (Bear in mind I’ll also be doing my masters dissertation in the evenings and weekend during this whole thing :(( )

6 months ago

Edit

lumpyspacemod

Going on Reddit

6 months ago

Edit

ConstellationMiracle

I don't know about losing a job, but after graduating college, I was unemployed for literally a year and a half. I was definitely feeling hopeless and felt like I would be unemployed forever. Just a couple of days ago I received my dream job offer from a Fortune 500. Good things happen to those who keep pushing and are patient. You got this!

6 months ago

Edit

LORD_WOOGLiN

deep rhythmic breathing, and cultivation of stillness and hope

6 months ago

Edit

LadyCLocus

You keep pushing!!!

6 months ago

Edit

Bitcoacher

@JoblessAndAJoke I was in a similar position over four years ago when I was homeless and living on a couch. I had spent hours upon hours looking for entry-level positions that would not hire me for whatever reason. What I did was look for ways to make money online while I was continuing my job search. Freelance writing worked best for me and I’m still freelancing to this day because the job hunt process is terrible. My advice is to really just focus on all of the options available and see where it takes you. Whether it’s money or purpose you’re looking for, a normal 9-5 isn’t necessarily the only way to get there. Let me know if you’re looking for further advice or resources. I hope this helps and that your situation gets better!

6 months ago

Edit

JoblessAndAJoke

I literally just got rejected from a freelance writing site, literally about 7 minutes ago because I fell "well below the standards they require".

6 months ago

Edit

Dualyeti

Having no ambition is very common, it’s our will to prosper which keeps us going

6 months ago

Edit

lifesunfairs

You take a job at Best Buy, downsize, miss bills, complain and mess up your credit until you’re in a better situation and then once you’re back on top you save better for a rainy day or make sure you’re not without a job (moreover income) again.

6 months ago

Edit

antlerwaffle

You set up a long term goal comprised of small goals that are achievable. Google "reward system."

6 months ago

Edit

RipsRidiculus

Look at how homeless people live.

6 months ago

Edit

utopista114

What's a homeless? Sometimes it's hard to understand Americans and their words. /s

6 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

6 months ago

Edit

JoblessAndAJoke

That is of literally zero help whatsoever. Literally zero.

6 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

6 months ago

Edit

BossToro1

Terrible response!

6 months ago

Jobs For You