Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

I got a JOB!!!

8 months ago

|

I just got a job in soft engineering this Friday which pays quite well. I finished uni in 2019 and was interning last year and since June, I have been basically searching for positions. After applying for 500++ positions I got my first offer which I am very grateful for. I was mainly looking for something much more commercial in general, as coming from an engineering background I don't want to be in engineering forever. So I am thinking of taking this offer as it pays well, while continuing the search for jobs better suited to me. Thus, if I find something that suits me better, I could easily leave and join another company as I am quite young. What do you guys think?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

No-job-no-money

My dream job final interview tomorrow men. I hope I make it. I have been unemployed for almost 8 months already. F\*\*k : ( ​ Anyway, congrats my friend!

8 months ago

Edit

DDontGiveAShit

Good luck man. I have the same situation

8 months ago

Edit

mimimeme2

Congrats! Wishing you the best. I can't wait for my day to come where I can post a similar thing.

8 months ago

Edit

myopinioncount100

I agree with you. Keep this one. You don't know what this one could bring in the future...and Congratulations!

8 months ago

Edit

Confident_Square_215

You're smart to continue looking for the next best thing. I was watching an interview from the creator of Dilbert and he said he knew a guy who always did interviews, even if he was overqualified, because it was good practice and he was always looking to move onto to something better. Eventually he did land something better so not getting too comfortable or putting all your eggs in one basket seems like the smart thing to do.

8 months ago

Edit

muffinTrees

Amen

8 months ago

Edit

cassette_sunday

congrats man!!

8 months ago

Edit

restoper

Here is what I would do in your situation. I wouldn't continue to look right away. I would spend the first 6 months learning everything that I can at this position. Don't just learn your job, learn how it relates to others in the organization, and learn as much as you can about what they do. See what you think works well in the corporate environment, and what doesn't. You can learn from both good employees and bad. Maybe after doing this, you will have some insight into your long term goals that may differ from what you currently think. After 6 months, you could start tailoring your resume geared toward what you are most interested in, and you would now have some experience to back it up. The job market might be a bit better in 6 months and you will be in a good position at that point. But anyway, congratulations on the job.

8 months ago

Edit

zorohiha

Yes i like this idea actually. I mean I am just gonna do the rest of the interviews I have now, as they keep on coming on a weekly basis and after if I honestly get something better I would change. But I dont think I will apply to any new jobs because next winter at least.

8 months ago

Edit

throwaway-engr

Congratulations! I'm sure that feels great after filling out 500+ applications!

8 months ago

Edit

bewrak2

Congrats!!

8 months ago

Edit

DeadliestTaco

Congratulations man!

8 months ago

Edit

Brisket_Queen

Congratulations!!!

8 months ago

Edit

tinku105

Congrats man.🎉🎉

8 months ago

Edit

sadhvi9

Congratulations and All the best!! Posts like these really motivate me to keep applying and push through..!

8 months ago

Edit

zorohiha

Push though, you cant give up actually. It took me hundreds of applications to get where I am right now, which is a better position that where I was 6 months ago.

8 months ago

Edit

QueenSalamand

Just because it doesn't seem like your dream job, doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. I got a warehouse job in October. I was desperate and needed to pay bills. Turns out, I really enjoy this job and the people I work with. Can be tiring and frustrating at times but I can tell you I will never go back to retail. Regardless, hope everything works out for you!

8 months ago

Edit

zorohiha

No dont get me wrong. I think it is a pretty cool job, I am just a bit hesitant because it is very technical.

8 months ago

Edit

BucksThirtyFour

Congrats man, software engineer is my dream job but unfortunately where I live there’s only maybe 10 or so places that hire them so likely a bad idea to go for the degree

8 months ago

Edit

the_siloviki

maybe you can move to another area for a job? or are there circumstances preventing you from moving elsewhere?

8 months ago

Edit

theFlynnRyder

I have been searching for jobs since I graduated in 2020 October. It makes me so glad to see somebody got a job, just fills me with hope that I am not done yet. Thank you for sharing this and A BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

8 months ago

Edit

Jcaseykcsee

Congratulations on the offer! I’m going to disagree with some folks here and say that if you don’t plan on staying at the job for at least a year or two, you probably should keep looking for one you’re more suited for. Hiring and training take a lot of resources and if you leave after 3-8 months, not only will you massively burn bridges, but that is a waste of your time and the company’s time/money/resources. Having a new person aboard is a drain - someone’s training you, spending time they could be doing their actual work showing you the ropes, and you’ve taken a position that could have been filled by someone who wants to be there long term. If the company is in the same industry you plan on staying in, people remember that stuff and usually everyone knows one another. I know you need to do what works for your life, but going in to a new job knowing you probably won’t be there for a good amount of time just screws over everyone (including you in the long run), and it’s not a great look. That being said, people leave jobs at all stages and timeframes, so the company will continue to run when you leave and it won’t be the end of the world. But it’s probably not how you want to make a name for yourself when entering a new industry.

8 months ago

Edit

Darth_Smoker

Congrats dude !

8 months ago

Edit

All-yall-are-crazy

Both my thumbs are in a upward position and my heart wishes you all the best. Enjoy your life.

8 months ago

Edit

PhilTheHotTub

Good JOB!

8 months ago

Edit

Loseem84

What's the difference between soft engineering and hard engineering?

8 months ago

Edit

Trudzzzz

Congrats ! Best of luck!

8 months ago

Edit

440teabags

Goooood Luck!!!

8 months ago

Edit

McNasty420

DUDE YOU WENT TO SCHOOL FOR SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. That is THE most sought after degree right now. If you want to make some MAJOR DOLLARS, and be able to do whatever the F you want to do, move to Chicago and get in touch with a recruiter at CME Group (Chicago Mercantile Exchange, NYMEX, CBOT). Your job better freaking pay well. I know what guys make at CME just out of college in Software Engineering. Get a linked In account if you don't believe me. You will get so many job interviews you will not know what to do with yourself. I hope this "Uni" was good and was an engineering school.

8 months ago

Edit

zorohiha

Yes I know CMe Group I have interviewed with them previously. Fortunately I did chem eng at uni but still loads of coding and maths. I wish I could come to the US, the salaries there are insane. Currently in London from EU.

8 months ago

Edit

doggtagzz

Nice. Good luck.

8 months ago

Edit

chattykathy0407

Wonderful! I am happy for you. I am still in the application grind and waiting for my special day.

8 months ago

Edit

apsg33

Holy shit. Was it that many applications?????

8 months ago

Edit

Sayahhearwha

So proud of you!!!!

8 months ago

Edit

Buff_e

Congrats!

8 months ago

Edit

Shad27753

and i didnt everyone getting engineering jobs but me great

8 months ago

Edit

ielchino

congrats bro all the best to you

8 months ago

Edit

ban14anaice

I’ve been applying for internships and part time jobs while I go to school and have got nothing so far. Congrats on your job and hopefully the luck comes around to me soon!

8 months ago

Jobs For You