Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

I have the opportunity to get a vocational degree for free through a work training program. What would be some in demand or growing fields?

5 days ago

|

So I basically am part of a work training program where I work for a non-profit organization (paid work, Deseret Industries). I work about 28 hours a week for one of their thrift stores, and while the pay is only a hair above minimum wage, they will completely pay for a vocational degree (one year or less) of my choice. I am just trying to make the most of this rare, free education as I try and climb my way out of restaurant work and addiction (one year sober). I am no stranger to working hard, so blue or white collar jobs are both on the table. I just never want to work in a restaurant again if I can at all avoid it. What are some in-demand fields I could potentially look into? It doesn't have to be the best paying. So long as it is stable (my primary wish), and with plenty of opportunities now or in the near future it is something I will look into. Thank you! Edit - I should also note that I have a criminal history. No felonies, but I have a misdomeanor battery conviction, and a misdomeanor possession of a controlled substance conviction, not currently on probation.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • unlucky-chicken10

I am not sure where you are from, but in my neck of the woods (semi-rural college town in Virginia) we are in desperate need for good electricians and plumbers--both commercial and residential. I don't give a damn about any criminal history when it comes to fixing my problems and completing renovations, I just want someone who shows up on time and does decent work. Seriously, you can't go wrong with electrician, plumber, HVAC, or even welder. But regardless these are jobs that can be hard on your body, take some business classes too so that when your body is ready to quit you can manage the team, versus be on it.

5 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• VindictiveMelon

Huh. I was actually thinking electrician as one of the options on the table. Is it really that in demand? If so I might move to Virginia in about half a year to a year and hit you up if you're hiring xD. What is the starting rate for those career paths you mentioned? And how much training is required? I am not planning on doing these jobs forever. It is more meant as a spring board to get me out of working as a waiter, and allow me to afford a bachelor's degree so I can get into my true interest - drug rehabilitation or counseling. I can't do that however until I have a stable income, and being a waiter or HORRIBLE right now with Covid. I was making about 40,000 before Covid. It's been about half lately - if people don't go out, I make no money. That's why I accepted the work training program to begin with.

5 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

Jobs For You

Search for a job