Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

I quit my job today without another job lined up

9 months ago

|

I was pacing around my house the whole day. One click of a finger to call my boss. Should i do it? What do I say? The amount of projects deliverables were causing me physical pain. I felt trapped. I was losing sleep. The company was refusing to replace key staff who’s outstanding projects were just falling onto me and a few others. Unrealistic timelines and the curse of a growing company taking on way too many projects than they have resources. Bending over to any and all client requests. I finally called at 4:55. I was expecting the worst, but my boss, who is the CEO of the company, was very nice about it. He said he could hear it in my voice during the beginning of the week and had a feeling. He told me I was one of the best people he had worked with and was proud of the tenacity I showed as I joined the company and moved up the ranks in just 2 years. I told him I’ll be forever grateful for the opportunity he gave me. I told him I’ll follow up with a resignation letter to which he replied there is no need as him and I dont need to have that formality and he will always be there to elevate and encourage me in the future. I feel a lot lighter. They say people dont leave their job they leave their boss, I’m not so sure now if that’s what happened to me today. Now I have to focus on finding another job with a clear mind and the confidence that I can. I already have two interviews lined up for friday afternoon.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

MajorDanger85

I finally hit my breaking point and quit my job on a Friday. I got my last check in the mail on Monday. They would have fired me that very same day. Toxic environment. Exceeding expectations. A job that I was WAY overqualified for, and a boss that lives and dies for the company and EXPECTS you to do the same. I made it a year there waiting for it to get better. Finally I quit with nothing else lined up. That was two weeks ago. I’m still looking. I wish you the best of luck. You’re not alone.

9 months ago

Edit

puterTDI

if you were in the US, you realize that had they fired you you would be eligible for unemployment right? You didn't "win" by quitting, you just made it so you can't collect unemployment.

9 months ago

Edit

i-luv-animals

Iam ready to do that with Walmart. I have been there for 11 miserable years. I had a planned vacation the first week of January then my boyfriend had a mass taken off the skinny bone in his leg dec 28th so it was perfect that I was going to be on vacation. Now I need to take a leave of absence unless sedgwick is too much to deal with then screw them. I can't mentally do this crap job any more. I am ripping off the bandage and not going back no matter what. I have to wait a couple weeks until my boyfriend can bend his knee and is able to drive to find another job but I have to do it. I don't care where I have to work as long as I get out of that horrible company. Im too old for that crap any more. I have been through so much the last 11 years.

9 months ago

Edit

FancyZookeepergame0

I have all the same issues. Been 11 years in December. I hate it there. Like I know I can be happier in life.

9 months ago

Edit

wa_academic_nerd

I have been on many hiring committees, a "gap" in employment especially during this time is usually easy to explain in the interview process. If you have a reference from a job you left, that will resolve the "quitting" issue. Go forward with confidence.

9 months ago

Edit

Goullet

I just wanna go on record and say that I have a 2 year "gap" in my work history and it has literally never once come up in an interview. Stop letting jobs tell you how to live.

9 months ago

Edit

a_HerculePoirot_fan

From the way you described the final farewell conversation, it seems that you and the CEO had a mentor-mentee relationship. On one hand, he will continue to "elevate" and "encourage" you in the future, sure sounds supportive, but on the other hand, refuse to replace key worker, to the extent that one of his best people quit? I don't get your CEO. Anyway, at least you already have 2 interviews lined up. Good luck!

9 months ago

Edit

sunny_side_egg

From elsewhere in the thread it looks like she's working for city or county level government in the north of England. If so, her employer's budget has been severely cut by central government and probably stretched in other areas by the coronavirus.

9 months ago

Edit

SuperFlyingPony

Sometimes its hard to rip the bandaid off... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck getting a new job. Its hard for some people.

9 months ago

Edit

EffectiveStart

Still left your boss in my opinion. If he were that good of a CEO and you were such a valued employee then he would’ve rectified the issue with staffing to get you some help or share out the workload....

9 months ago

Edit

andresopeth

yeah, dude knew exactly he was pushing it hard and was for sure expecting this to happen eventually.

9 months ago

Edit

Grendel0075

I worked at a job keying insurance claims in a run down, roach infested building, on 20yr hp desktops. After a year, they 'coach's me for being slow and making too many mistakes. Send me through training again, constant evaluations, threaten to fire me daily. Then I got that month's progress report. I had 100% on speed, and my accuracy had been 99.9%. They were putting me through all that stress over the 99.9 percentage. I called my supervisor an asshole, packed my desk and walked out.

9 months ago

Edit

basketma12

That sounds eerily like my last job.

9 months ago

Edit

DDonde

Get another job soon - don't do what I did and put it off

9 months ago

Edit

_baller_status_

sounds like a shitty CEO if they're letting you get overworked like that without assigning/hiring more help. don't feel bad about leaving that situation. best of luck with the job search!

9 months ago

Edit

suaveguile14

The CEO would be in an even worse situation with you gone...he could’ve hired (or given assurance) someone. I wonder what they are doing now with all their pending commitments 🧐. Good luck to you by the way for your decision...

9 months ago

Edit

darkbrandon

If you quit a job, you're going to be motivated to find another. Sometimes the fact you have a job keeps you from looking for a job. I have done this, quit a job without one lined up, and it was advice I gave a friend. If you hate your job but too tired to look for another. Just quit. With a day or two of rest and the weight of the job off your chest, you may be more energetic to enter the working world. kudos

9 months ago

Edit

grimacedia

The same happened to me. I was so exhausted from my job that I could only go home and sleep, and wake up and do it again. Once I quit I felt like a new person, suddenly had so much energy and time.

9 months ago

Edit

FyuuR

I’m about to put in my 2 weeks notice today and I have extreme anxiety about it, up to the point where I’m constantly debating what time of day to even have the conversation. I’m mostly just worried that they’re gonna think it’s a rash reaction to some truly unrelated stressful events of this week, when really I’ve been planning this for months. Also feeling a bit guilty about leaving coworkers with a huge workload idk. But I guess at the end of the day I shouldn’t care what they think.

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Your mental health and wellbeing should always come first. I’d recommend letting your boss know at the end of the day. It comes off as more professional and calculated. Best of luck to you.

9 months ago

Edit

kittycassius

I have just done the same today, not as nicely as the OP but I done it. I know people (Family) are going to judge me for doing this. I felt trapped in a toxic situation, I have had to do what is best for me. I only kept going so there would be food on the table for Xmas. That’s done now, I went back on Mon with the intention of not quitting till I found a new job, but New Year same bullshit from work and I’ve had my gut full. I have spent the last 10months being grateful that I have had a job through all of this, but at what cost.

9 months ago

Edit

Embarrassed_Low_5480

I did the same thing in July of last year for the same exact reason. I applaud your strength to prioritize your own health and well-being. It was a stressful 6 months and around a hundred interviews but I learned some great lessons. I started a new job yesterday. You will get through this!

9 months ago

Edit

catdad789

I am so happy you did this. I did the same thing but had a very different experience. My job was micromanaging me to the point where I couldn’t even do my job because I was constantly being harassed. I would be doing one thing and I would have 50 teams messages asking me why I’m not doing another thing. Sadly it was a healthcare organization that cared more about the profit margin than the people served. They undermined me, humiliated me in front of other staff, and there was an incident where an employee was homophobic towards me and nothing was done about it. There was mandatory meetings every day, sometimes several times a day, and the off hours communication was constant. It was a toxic work environment and I am so much happier now that I’m free.

9 months ago

Edit

nickebee

Best of luck with your interviews. I've been debating leaving my job for weeks. It's gotten to the point its physically effecting me. I don't think I'm brave enough to leave without something else lined up

9 months ago

Edit

somedazedx

Thanks for sharing this. It’s weird cause I got this post notification on reddit just an hour after I had a breakdown at work today. I’m working from home atm which I don’t mind at all but I am just so done with being micromanaged, rude people and the politics. Why do I need to be different than I already am and why should I try to be “liked”? It took so many sacrifices for me to reach this stage where I finally feel and know that I am enough. It’s only been a month but I always have a pretty reliable intuition. I’ve felt this the moment I started the job and it just grew worse. I’m thankful because some of my colleagues are lovely but I come first in my life. Perhaps there couldn’t be a clearer sign than this post. I’m on my second stage of interview for another job and will probably just finish this week off. Wishing you the best in your job search! :)

9 months ago

Edit

bruhdankmemes

I'm quiting mine tomorrow!! Yay!!!

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Best of luck! Stay strong and vigilant.

9 months ago

Edit

Casiorollo

Well if you need one in short time, try DoorDash or Uber eats or grubhub. I lost my job because of Covid and now make an average of $25-30/hr

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Thanks! Will definitely consider.

9 months ago

Edit

Clollin

Sounds good. In my experience, my interviews went nowhere if I said that I'd quit my precious job fyi, but: Sounds like you were in a senior position and really needed to quit. Hopefully they paid you enough that you can scrape by while you figure out what you're doing next. Best of luck! =)

9 months ago

Edit

theworldisnotquiet

I think employment gaps are becoming less of an issue as work becomes more precarious and because we've had a couple of recessions in the last twenty years. I have quite a few gaps of months between my jobs and so far it hasn't come up in any interviews for jobs I really wanted. The only time it's been an issue, they've mentioned it as part of the job ad and it has been for stuff where there is some sort of security type aspect to it (I didn't apply for a banking job where you had to prove what you were doing in all your periods of unemployment for instance).

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Finding temp jobs to fuel your main job search is also seen as a huge positive if your time allows for it! Even if its not resume worthy and comes up in discussion.

9 months ago

Edit

KrashKourse101

It will work out. I quit a job where I was treated like shit and landed on my feet with another gig within a month. Ironically, was laid off a few months later from that job when the company changed direction and slashed our department. I did solo gigs for a while until I found another job. Keep hustling and know you’ll be ok. Enjoy the unknown of the next steps - it’s a trying feeling but a time I still honor in my life for personal growth.

9 months ago

Edit

Mental_Tiger5412

I did the same thing this past Monday! After working for a toxic supervisor the past couple years I just reached my breaking point and knew enough was enough. The relief I felt as soon as I told my boss made me realize how great the decision was for me... now... to start job hunting!

9 months ago

Edit

Razzl_Dazzle

I have the same story. I just quit a week ago. I got a few things lined up and saved my money for some months. The company was just too difficult and there was an internal struggle finding which direction the company should go as a whole. The guy "I report to" just accepted it but my previous boss(same company) reached out after the news and told me he would help anyway and enjoyed working with me through the years. Good luck with your new ventures!

9 months ago

Edit

too_old_to_be_clever

Good luck finding another role. It took me a little over 7 months. I wish you a speedy search.

9 months ago

Edit

HoppyBadger

I wish I could do this. Work seriously destroys our health in some situations. There has be something better out that, that will suit you and make you happy. Good luck. I'm looking for my way out!

9 months ago

Edit

Minute_Bad_1619

Congradulations!

9 months ago

Edit

yutfree

Last time I left a job, I had been working at a famous Seattle-area company for about 9 years. My manager started openly saying in an unkind tone in meetings that I'd be "selling Amway" because of the job market. They also made sure to spit out that I "quit" my job and made it clear how they felt about my decision. This same person was a main part of the reason I was leaving, as you can imagine. They had been hired to work at the company years before when they had a drug addiction and lied about a number of things just to get hired (didn't even know how to use basic office software, for example). And they were making me out to be the bad person. **Bottom line:** If you have a shitty manager and can't move to another job in the company, you are better off leaving than staying in a life of pain.

9 months ago

Edit

yutfree

I'll also add that I've left a couple jobs in my 32+ year career. Each time, I was told by peers that I was "crazy" and would have a very hard time finding a new job. Yes, it was a scary leap to take each time, but I knew in my gut that I was doing the right thing for my career and life. And in each case I was right. "Leap and the net will appear" is a massive cliche, but in my experience, it has always been true.

9 months ago

Edit

smushyu

Gig apps to get by, friends. I don't really have a career, so I can't speak to switching over from that myself. However, I've been shopping for instacart and used the subreddit for shoppers. Apparently enough people prefer the freedom of gig apps over being in an office with bosses looking over their shoulder. Some for a tie-over, and some for a regular job. Either way, instacart is less miles on your vehicle than other gig apps. The big downside is shopper appreciation from customers and support... sometimes it's the pits and it can hurt your income.

9 months ago

Edit

thinkdarrell

I made a job change in November 2019. Something that seemed great. As I got a few months in things got worse. March (yeah, the whole pandemic thing) hit and while everyone was working from home we had to move our group of 7 or 8 into a conference room. No dividers. No masks. 30% pay cut. I quit in June. It hasn't been the best but I've been trying contract and freelance work. Best of luck to you.

9 months ago

Edit

newjewforu

I did the same thing the other day and my manager said "well the good news is now that you're not my employee, we can hang out." What a guy

9 months ago

Edit

qbit1010

Well someone who does that is usually financially independent (have enough income or savings to be unemployed) otherwise it’s not wise to do. Find another job? Just don’t burn bridges, it’s nice to have decent references.

9 months ago

Edit

quicksilverm

gg boii

9 months ago

Edit

NichRigga-

Damb, im considering it too., but i fucked up and lost my money in pennystocks 😅 not sure if I should just keep my head down and keep working until I find another job or just fkn quit. Id make almost as much working minimum wage at mcds than my job. Getting $20/hr, minimum wage is $14/hr. I have enough experience at this point.

9 months ago

Edit

LiamGatsby

Your boss may have been nice about it but still have a formal resignation letter sent anyway, for your records as you look for another job.

9 months ago

Edit

Historical_Quail7038

I know how you all feel with the way the economy is now the one who are still working have more stress because their taking on more then they can handle and are close to a breaking point. Should I stay or should I quit was on my mind being a essential is very stressful that why I'm working from this company michele-c.com they are helping people around the world 🌎 working from home im am so blessed this came to me when it did now im living stress free !!!!!

9 months ago

Edit

akash94t

Congratulations. It's not easy to quit, I've quit two jobs for similar reasons so I can understanding the difficulty but also the great relief :).

9 months ago

Edit

HobbitVillage81

I am proud of you. I am currently going through something similar. I want to go to school for another field and to do that, I need to stay away from my current commission job. I want to get out of that field altogether, but unfortunately just cut back my days to Fridays and Saturdays. My boss was completely understanding about it. My clients on the other hand....

9 months ago

Edit

bertabugg

I'm in California, I was put in a dev plan and chose to take severance instead of being tortured for a few more months of trying to complete goals that wouldn't change the outcome. (technically I quit) I got unemployment without a problem. I didn't want to quit or leave but my tech company is known for doing this to the so-called 6-10% every year, I think EDD is well aware of this and let me have it. I didn't have poor performance, my dad became ill in 2019 and died in 2020 and instead of keeping it to myself, I had told my VP (I thought it would be the right thing to do, WRONG!) Anyway, I didn't have any problem collecting.

9 months ago

Edit

floofyhaunches

I similarly left my last job in October with nothing lined up, having been worked into the ground covering two jobs without security and inevitably ending up a burnt out mess (it was way more complicated than that, and sadly my boss was a major factor - and not in a good way). I was also a few weeks pregnant so had a huuuge amount to weigh up but decided I needed to leave for my own self respect and physical and mental health. All I can say is that there is absolutely no way I regret that decision and I would do the same again in future if I needed. Good luck, you’re prioritising your own health above work and something else will come along when you’re ready to go back (I’m starting a new job on Monday and it’s great to feel excited, rather than sick, about looking ahead to a working week). It sounds like you really need the break, so enjoy the time and take care!

9 months ago

Edit

JeamBim

Serious question, why didn't you just pull back to a level where you could work comfortably even if you weren't hitting all the deadlines and stuff? If you were already gonna quit, what did you have to lose by just dialing back to a level that wasn't stressful?

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

I wasn’t able to dial back. My projects got doubled when my support left for another job and instead of replacing him I was tasked with 5 HUGE new projects on top of my already full plate for a channel partner of the company and they were given a end of January deadline even though all projects started third week of december. And these are development heavy projects which I had to manage resources for and act as a liason to all parties. On top of all of this I was also in charge of marketing even though that was not my title and there wasnt a single person in the company of 200 and close to $200 million yearly revenue with a marketing title. Marketing was just sort of divided between people to do and I was at the helm. Overall the company just lacks the understanding that they are completely under resourced and causing burn out. They grew really quickly to $200 million revenue but have small margins and never built a solid structure and foundation. Everyone kind of just does everything and the CEO has to have final say on almost anything. Things got really bad and I had to pull the plug.

9 months ago

Edit

Freefromcrazy

I quit my job today also. I was ready for a change. I put 100 hours a week into it and just got tired of having no free time.

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Glad I’m not alone. I wish you all the best.

9 months ago

Edit

RogueStudio

On Monday I'm likely entering this position where I'm either handing my notice soon or I'm getting placed on a performance plan for termination so....welcome to 2021, where all of us are learning to give less of a care about crushing labor, yay! (Note I live at home and have some savings don't do this if you're living paycheck to paycheck)

9 months ago

Edit

MK8390

Best of luck to you, yes I do have about $20k in savings which will support my job hunt.

9 months ago

Edit

Hennessy1515

Have said this once or twice on here, and will say it again: 28/M/USA, quit my job in August with no plan due to a toxic environment. It was smoother than I expected, thankfully! Sadly though I’m still on the job hunt, and my only regret with quitting is that I forfeited unemployment. The lack of stress has been a wonder to my mental health, and the job application process can be surprisingly exciting at times! Stay positive and stay focused, but take the much deserved down time to relax and recenter.

9 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

9 months ago

Edit

OccamsChainsawww

It’s not a good idea to just torch business relationships, even if only to take advantage of a unique COVID-related unemployment check.

9 months ago

Edit

BPP1943

I’ve hired, trained, and managed hundreds of US engineering professionals and technicians. I always look for unexplained gaps, resignations, and firings because employers need stable staff as we invest much in and expect much from them. It’s not a game or a party, it’s business and exceeding customer expectations.

9 months ago

Edit

brewtete3

But why quit? Screw the deadlines and deliverables. You do your best and that's what matters. When a project fails to deliver, it's not on you, but the failure that calls itself management. Worse case scenario, they'll fire you, you collect unemployment, and find another job with better management. You may face this in a new job - you can't just keep on quitting. You need to learn to let things go and to not attach pride or self worth to your job. A little indifference is healthy.

9 months ago

Jobs For You