Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

I refuse to work “full time” when the company doesn’t give benefits.

5 days ago

|

Moved from Massachusetts to Florida. While I love Florida for many other reasons, I hate that the wages are so low and the laws for benefits is different. I just started a new job as an admin assistant for a cardiologist office. 12 an hour, full time with no benefits. I said I would do it for part time. Mainly just to keep some money in my account WHILE I look for a full time job that gives benefits. My old job in Massachusetts was 16 an hour WITH benefits! I need that! 12 an hour is pathetic! And with no benefits on top of it? Even more pathetic! I’m officially off my parents healthcare now. I need healthcare! Dental, vision, or incase I get sick! I can’t just forgo that! Also, if I’m full time, I can’t just go to an interview any ‘ol day. It’s complete bullshit. My new employer tried telling me that getting full time with benefits in most offices is going to be really hard to find in Florida compared to Massachusetts. My boyfriend who lives down south too told me that is complete bullshit. And I know it’s bullshit because I interviewed with other office jobs that had benefits (but didn’t get offered the jobs, sadly). Who is my boss kidding? Not me! I didn’t want to tell my mom that I took my job part time instead of full time when she asked me about it, because I would just get an ear full of her complaining saying who cares and to take the full time... even though she knows I’m getting paid next to nothing, with no health insurance offered. I never worked for a place in the northeast full time that didn’t offer me health insurance (even when I was still under my parents plan). It’s crazy to me that anyone would accept a full time job with no benefits.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • XTremelyTiredofHR

I'm thinking of moving to Florida soon and this is the common feedback that the salaries are so low. SMH.

5 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• buffysummerrs

Yup! And gas prices are HIGHER than where I lived in Mass. Publix (supermarket) is more expensive than Market Basket and Shoprite. Rent is very high here too! Also, franchises still cost the same. A McDonald’s hamburger is the same price in Massachusetts or New Jersey as it is in Florida. My sister lives in Massachusetts still so we did price comparisons. Also, if I order anything online like Amazon, online clothing companies, etc. I’m still paying the same price as everyone else!!! Why should I get lower pay for the same job as a northeast person when my food, gas and shopping is the same price as anyone else in the country!? That new iPhone is still 1000 dollars in Florida as it is in New England! A new phone or shirt from Zara isn’t gonna automatically be reduced because of my state.

5 days ago

Edit

• Mindless-Traffic-491

I was raised in FL then moved to NYC now in Phoenix yep that sound like FL. Not sure where you are at but you need to look jobs in practices managed by hospitals or cancer centers they typically have benefits. I was shocked recently took job in healthcare they tell you get 3 weeks vacation. But mislead and tell you yeah those federal holidays are deducted from you so called vacation time.What a joke.

5 days ago

Edit

• SableyeEyeThief

I've been in FL for a couple of years now. I truly wonder how some people live here. Rent is expensive, jobs pay okay money (nothing crazy) and everything is expensive plus there's tons of competition in every field! I've been at my current company working full-time for over a year now through an agency (no health benefits, PTO, holidays or anything at all). I hate it with my everything. I feel taken advantage of, I feel like a slave and I feel useless. Thankfully now me and my fiancée make enough so that we can save good money every paycheck and prepare for the future, that's what keeps me going forward.

5 days ago

Edit

• buffysummerrs

Yup! I feel this is every state tbh. Like there is NO reason why people I know with good jobs in MA and NJ have to have 3 roommates just to pass by while having business degrees. My older brother is an accountant (used to work in NYC) and just bought his first home at 34 years old. A tiny little 800 sq ft home for 300k in NJ. Ridiculous. But the south’s wages are stupid as hell and I hate it. If I want an apartment in Savannah, it’s like 1500, when the wages are 10 dollars. Lollllllll

5 days ago

Edit

• cinbechillin

you should have researched all of that before moving here, now you want to complain? go back to Mass. then. we have enough of you people here already.

5 days ago

Edit

• yukidjesus

I think depends on company. Cost of living is typically low from what I’ve read and got couple of people that lives in FL tell me. One of them work for JnJ and his been happy with his wage etc. benefits too

5 days ago

Edit

• buffysummerrs

My father is one of a few branch managers for a very big corporation I don’t want to say on here for privacy reasons, and only would accept relocating down to Florida if he got his Massachusetts salary. He told me the guys down here who have degrees and work for him, with wives and children make peanuts. And he has told me it blows his mind how they’re making ends meet. Rent is high. I have been searching for apartments for months. Unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere or in the bad part of a city, you’re screwed. My mother didn’t want to believe it until she searched with me and wanted to pull her hair out. She complained to my older sister who said “I told you mom!!! You didn’t want to believe me! This isn’t 1985 anymore!” Georgia is just as bad. My boyfriend moved to Savannah. Lol Minimum wage is 7.00 (it says 5.00 online but federally they have give 7.00). His apartment is 1300 and THAT is only because he negotiated. 1 bedroom. He is a manager for a corporation too. And they think the 17 dollars they pay him is “ generous”. Lol He has a brand new Subaru he bought last year in CT before he left his job and moved, his rent is 1300, plus food, car insurance, etc. and 17 is generous? I was making 15.50 as a “clerical assistant” in Mass.... wasn’t even a manager.

5 days ago

Edit

• jaywonger93

I hear ya. Recently obtained a part-time job that is for 30 hrs/wk. It only gives me partially paid benefits, but it's definitely more benefits than my last job gave me. I'm looking forward to a company that gives full-paid benefits and being part-time allows me to pay for bills and still have time to look for full-time work with benefits. I don't think it's crazy to take the part-time job, because you're right, it will be hard to apply/interview for jobs with a full-time position. My last job here in San Francisco was a job I contractor/"green-badge" full-time receptionist job at a tech company, and the pay was pretty bad(definitely because the staffing company had a good cut)...but also the benefits offered were extremely bad too. I got laid-off so that is. a blessing in itself.

5 days ago

Edit

• weegee

Red state. Florida Man. And so on.

5 days ago

Edit

• Batoutofhellodolly

Yup. I live in New England. Our favorite past time is complaining about high taxes and high cost of living. They constantly threaten to move down South- but it’s a trade off. The only time it’s really a cost saver is if you’re retired and you’ve got your higher New England retirement income and healthcare already taken care of.

5 days ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job