Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

I signed to a new job, so I quit my old job, then the new job rescinded on me

23 days ago

|

I signed the offer letter on august 14th, then they found a better candidate, so now today they let me know that the job is no longer available. After I quit my old job, and declined 2 other job offers. Hopefully I just die in my sleep tonight.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Ambitious_Tell_4852

Call the HR managers at the 2 companies that you previously declined and say that the budget for the new job ***still*** has yet to be approved, you're no longer interested and would like to move forward if possible. If either of the 2 other companies contact you with renewed interest, you can make further considerations at that time. In the meantime *unfortunately* you need to keep applying for new opportunities.

23 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

Ok I'll call tomorrow tha ks

23 days ago

Edit

FRELNCER

Total jerks. Hope the person they hired ditches them in a month w/o notice.

23 days ago

Edit

Horrible. Surely they know if they offer someone a job and a contract is signed then that person is going to quit their current job. Just awful.

23 days ago

Edit

bluexavi

\> Tortious interference is a common law tort allowing a claim for damages against a defendant who wrongfully interferes with the plaintiff's contractual or business relationships. They made an offer which OP acted upon by leaving his current job (presumably in a legal manner). Sure, it's very difficult to prove, but you might shake them down for a couple weeks severance just to avoid having a lot of them dragged through proceedings.

22 days ago

Edit

bostonlilypad

If you’re in the US, make sure to review on Glassdoor to warn others! I’m sorry this happened to you.

23 days ago

Edit

SuccessfulGrape3731

Yes!!! More people need to be doing this! Only way these companies are going to take heed is to curb their talent pool.

22 days ago

Edit

OldschoolScience

This is what my nightmares sound like.

23 days ago

Edit

SuccessfulGrape3731

If you have an offer letter, sue for promissory estoppel.

22 days ago

Edit

Skyyacht

OP if you send me verification, I will personally fund up to $3k attorney fees for you.

22 days ago

Edit

Zealousideal-Cow6626

And this is why I don’t feel bad for quitting jobs. They can just toss you like trash. If I were you, I’d leave a bad review lol or trash talk the HR

23 days ago

Edit

RamsesMB

That sucks man, this people don't care about us

23 days ago

Edit

aerohk

Name and shame please

22 days ago

Edit

KS_MO_HR

That blows. On the upside, it sounds like you dodged a bullet in potentially working for a shitty company.

22 days ago

Edit

Bostonmofo94

Oof I’m so sorry to hear that. I quit an ok job back in February only to get laid off at my new one 3 months later. Shit blows.

23 days ago

Edit

Reddit_Foxx

This is my greatest fear. I low-key worry about exactly this every time I change jobs.

23 days ago

Edit

AleiRuiz

Everyone has felt that feeling on the 2 weeks notice, honestly, they should do something about the offer letters

22 days ago

Edit

FioanaSickles

My parents both signed employee contracts that were rescinded. Well, it is scummy but maybe it’s not a very good company. You can try telling your previous employer you’d like to come back. I would try to negotiate. I think they owe you something. The company that withdraw the offer that is.

23 days ago

Edit

Forecydian

More examples of why I’ll never put in my two weeks at any place.

23 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

What do you do instead?

23 days ago

Edit

TNTransplantFromNY

Do you have a copy of the offer letter? Do you have a copy of the email showing you accepted the offer? If so, call a labor lawyer https://exchange.nela.org/memberdirectory/findalawyer Ask them to review both the offer letter and your written acceptance of that offer "if you have it." To your detriment, you relied on that offer and now you want a settlement offer for damages "IF" possible and atty fees "IF" possible because you resigned from your current job. Just find an atty who offers only a FREE consult. This is why giving 2 weeks advanced quit notice before starting a job isn't worth it. Employers aren't loyal anymore. In the future, and if ever possible when transitioning to a new employer, try to save up 3 vacation days or more and start the new job, see if its ok, then quit the old job. Employers don't care about you.

23 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

I have it. But I doubt I will even make that much money out of this will I?

23 days ago

Edit

Bee4evaUrs

Didn't know that was legal. Wow, so messed up.

23 days ago

Edit

cyberkrisa

Our labor laws suck shit

22 days ago

Edit

hellojustmehere

Maybe they found a ~cheaper~ candidate rather than a better one. You received three offers, even if they didn’t work, stay positive you’ll be able to land something and it may all work out for the better!

22 days ago

Edit

JivePrintingDotCom

Assuming this post isn't fake (quite a leap) be sure to light this company TF up all over social media, maybe even contact the evening news. Start by naming and shaming here

23 days ago

Edit

JazzyJ2814

Dude. The same thing basically happened to me. Fuckin sucks. Ive been jobless for about a month now and not having much luck. But im trying my best to not go back to my old job if i dont have to

22 days ago

Edit

550_Kord

Oof. That's a tough one. You'll find something.

23 days ago

Edit

axl3ros3

Do not go to HR. HR is there to protect the company not you. r/legaladvice don't forget to include your state in the post if there's a offer letter, and you accepted the position based on that letter, that's most likely a contract or at least there is legal grounds in most places to support a claim of some sort for this ETA: i am not a lawyer, but I was a paralegal for many years...it is not a definitive source, but with these facts, it sounds like you have a claim, at least one I'd elevate to an attorney if I was taking your call at a law office, and that sub can help you determine if it's worth seeking an attorney

23 days ago

Edit

JivePrintingDotCom

Never ever recommend r/legaladvice for anything

23 days ago

Edit

unreadabletattoo

Name and shame. Why do people hide company names even when they fuck them so hard????

23 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

its a private school

22 days ago

Edit

Trees-of-green

Good luck! I hope something great works out soon!

23 days ago

Edit

cjh93

Same thing happened to me, except I worked at the new job for 7 weeks before they let me go.

22 days ago

Edit

thelifeofpab

I know everyone always says “do the right thing and give 2 weeks” but I’ve had this happen to me and ever since then I do what’s best for me. Employers don’t care about you. Work up until the day before you start somewhere new and then quit. That’s just me though.

22 days ago

Edit

Fake_Watch_Salesman

You can and should sue them

23 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

I doubt that I can. These days layers are expensive

23 days ago

Edit

Riptide360

After the dust settles I hope you write a review on glass door and roast them. You might save the next person from this crappy behavior, and if there ends up being a lawsuit you might get in on a settlement.

22 days ago

Edit

mythoughts2020

This is horrible!! Please post this company on Glassdoor so others are warned away from this trash company.

22 days ago

Edit

liubearpig

Same shit literally happened to me two weeks ago. Trust me bro you wouldn’t have wanted to be with a company who treats people like that. You weren’t even their employee yet and they’re already dicking you around. Can you imagine if you actually worked for these pricks? Good riddance

22 days ago

Edit

layethdasmackethdown

Jfc that's sad. This is my fear as I have also signed an offer letter recently. I am so paranoid that I'm checking my emails every 10 minutes just to make sure I don't get any bad news from them. I hope it all works out for you and that you find something else soon.

22 days ago

Edit

BadMotherFolklore

This is why I frequently, and in all seriousness, recommend that when resigning you should notify the workplace you're resigning from by calling them from your new job on your first day. While people have this idea inculcated into their heads that "two weeks notice" is a necessary or even beneficial thing, it does nothing but benefit the employer and creates nothing but liabilities for the employee. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but OP's predicament happens too often to ignore.

22 days ago

Edit

Due-Training-6129

This happened to me too. I wish i had found them on Glass door and busted their reputation. Instead i spent a month looking for a much better job. And got it. Dont give up. They didnt deserve you. Just their ass on reviews

22 days ago

Edit

McNasty420

Nope, nope. If you signed the offer letter, they have to hire you at the rate on the offer letter. Some recruiter fucked up monumentally. An offer letter is legally binding. This is my biggest fear, that I will send the wrong person an offer letter or have the wrong salary on it. I'd get fired in a second.

22 days ago

Edit

Castrum4life

If they gave you a legal agreement then rescinded that document I'd contact a lawyer and the labor board.

22 days ago

Edit

LauraPalmer20

I’m so sorry OP! In the UK, the offer letter itself is legally binding once signed and once references passed and start date given, they couldn’t rescind it without the potential of legal action. I’d definitely get advice. It’s awful now but you dodged a bullet - imagine working for them!

22 days ago

Edit

2Fast2L1ve

Can you sue them????

22 days ago

Edit

Trees-of-green

Isn’t this illegal? I thought if they offer a job in writing that is legally binding?

23 days ago

Edit

Stickgirl05

If it’s an at-will state, you can be let go before you even started 🤷🏻‍♀️

23 days ago

Edit

Miki_Hufflepuffle

That absolutely stinks. All I could really say is unfortunately you’re not alone. Hopefully you can reach out to the other companies ASAP and if they already hired for the role you applied to ask if they have any related positions open. As soon as I was hired for my last job, I got 3 interviews for much better positions and only took one. After only 2 weeks my job decided they wanted someone in person (job was out of my state). As disappointed as I was, i know there has to be a better fit out there and I hope the same for you too!

23 days ago

Edit

lettucegetahead

That’s brutal hopefully something better than the two works out for you. Hang in there it’ll get better.

22 days ago

Edit

Violet545

Omg you should sue them .

22 days ago

Edit

Internal_Ad_1661

Yeah, don't take this kind of abuse from employers. I would seriously look into a legal recourse if there is one! Unfortunately, we as workers have no rights but still, see what you can do. As far as burning bridges with punk employers like that go, who cares!!! Also, consider it a blessing you don't want to work for a company that does that. Offers you a job then rescinds it for a cheaper which I am sure they consider a better candidate. They will do it again to their employees as soon as they find someone they consider cheaper or a better value!

22 days ago

Edit

FullSlack

S&P Global did this to a friend of mine

22 days ago

Edit

Skyyacht

This happened to me for my first job out of the military. I turned down two other offers. Just in time for Christmas 🇺🇸

22 days ago

Edit

entj-reality

This reminds me of that cat who was all alone

22 days ago

Edit

TA_AskHR

I’d contact an attorney.

22 days ago

Edit

Ok_Ruin7510

In the same shoe as you, it’s been 5 days I signed the contract and they didn’t countersign, multiple chase email and calls, no conclusion. I already told my boss about leaving, explained that I don’t find the structure here fits me, and now I have to gather the courage to tell them I want to stay. It’s not even that bad of a job I have. I’m hating myself every minute.

22 days ago

Edit

Archylas

Can you sue the company after you have signed their written letter but they still rescinded anyway?? omg that's awful...

22 days ago

Edit

scorched03

Saw someone on this situation on LinkedIn. The guy had uber back out from a corporate job. The post had hundreds of recruiters and managers reach out for interviews. Best of luck, that place sucks so you dodged a bad one as much as it currently stings

22 days ago

Edit

ZuckHater

Congratulations! You’ve got a case to sue them for damages! Talk to a lawyer and sue the shit out of them

22 days ago

Edit

tepidsoda

we rise again tomorrow

22 days ago

Edit

mybunnyrulesmylife

Fuck. Dude I’m so sorry, please know that this shit will pass one day and you’ll have a great story

22 days ago

Edit

azarr_

HR are scum

22 days ago

Edit

chocol8ncoffee

If your scheduled gap between leaving your last job and starting the new job was scheduled to be less than 7 days you should be eligible for unemployment.

22 days ago

Edit

mrhudsonny

Stop giving two week notices! Start on a day off and if it doesn’t work out go back to your old job. Noting is guaranteed!

22 days ago

Edit

__Desperado__

It’s why I keep repeating dont quit or put it in your notice until the background check is complete

22 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

It was complete. But they just found a better option last minute.

22 days ago

Edit

FoxMarket

Thats why i always ask for a signed offer So the minute i sign it im employed

22 days ago

Edit

sufinomo

I did have a signed offer

22 days ago

Edit

TheAmbitiousDave

Be glad you didn't work there. They seem to value their people very little.

22 days ago

Edit

bakridada

Don’t die, man. Lot to live for. Lot to live besides mundane 9 - 5 crap

22 days ago

Edit

Sadly_Mine

briffault's law lol

22 days ago

Jobs For You