Discussion

I was asked to submit four letters of recommendation for a part-time job.

a month ago

|

I recently applied for a part-time entry-level office assistant job for a company with under 20 people. The job description said it was ok to have no experience as they'll train you. I am also a current student in college so I thought this would be a good fit as the hours were later in the day while my classes are in the morning. I was contacted right away, the same day I applied and had two interviews back to back. The interviewer seemed to really like me. However, I noticed a few things in my interviews. The interviewer asked why I wasn't employed during the school year and only during summer breaks. I transferred schools, one closer to home where I commute from home. My previous school was in a different part of the state and isolated. I didn't have a car, there was no public transportation, and on-campus jobs were competitive/reserved for students with work-study. She also noted that I didn't have that much work experience but the job description stated that current college students can apply and they will train on the job. I also have experience working as a receptionist/office assistant for 5 months. The first interview went well that she wanted a second interview the next day so I was happy. After the second interview, she asked for four letters of recommendation, two from someone personal (a statement on character reference), and two from a former boss. I think this is a lot for a part-time job. The internship that I did before which was through the city that I reside in only asked for one letter of recommendation when I applied. This job also pays minimum wage but in my last retail job, I got paid over minimum wage. I don't want to burden my friends who are all working full-time, full-time students and working for their time to write a character reference letter. I am also still in contact a few of my former bosses but not the bosses I had for my recent jobs. This is the first time this has happened to me, the job where I was an office assistant/receptionist never asked me for letters of recommendation. Additionally, my interview was on a Wednesday and they wanted the letter of recommendation by Friday. That's two days to ask for letters of recommendation from friends and former bosses who are probably very busy. I feel that is also way too short of a notice to ask them as well. I decided that the cons outweigh the benefits of this job. Especially when my retail job paid me over the minimum wage and can find another retail job. I am going to politely write an email tomorrow, telling them I am no longer interested in the position.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • ThrowRA_tolove

That's a lot for a part-time job. You're doing the right thing!

a month ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• mp90

Agreed. Totally unreasonable to provide so much for so little in return.

a month ago

Edit

• ludwig9van

"dear employer, thank you for the opportunity but I withdraw my application" - of course say it more politely, And look for another job, every time you spend breaking your head over this job is a time not spent exploring other options

a month ago

Edit

• DVDeveee

It sounds like they’re treating this job like an internship and somebody doesn’t know how to hire people. Unless it’s relevant to the career you want to pursue, next..

a month ago

Edit

• thelunartokki

What's funny is that the internship that I had a summer before only asked for one letter of recommendation when I applied. I've applied for internships before and the max number of letters of recommendation I've seen have been 2. Its not related to the career I want to pursue so I'll be moving on to look else where.

a month ago

Edit

• TheVaza

Along with the letter to opt-out of this position you should write a review on Glassdoors or Indeed reviews about this. If the company has Any sense in them, they'll realize that they're asking a lot for a job that if you're looking to work for any bigger companies won't take as seriously as they are trying to be for themselves.

a month ago

Edit

• thelunartokki

Thank you, I am definitely going to do this. I've searched for Glassdoor and indeed reviews for the company and couldn't find any but I guess I will be the first one to write one. 🥴

a month ago

Edit

• wz88d11p

if you want the job can always get a friend or hire off fiverr to do a reference for you.

a month ago

Edit

• thelunartokki

I've already decided that I don't want the job and will be moving on to other opportunities. As I said in my post the cons such as the lower pay don't make it worth it.

a month ago

Edit