Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

I’m overwhelmed with all the work I currently have as a mechanical engineer, I don’t think I can take this anymore and I’m about to quit to start working two jobs as a cashier or something with less stress.

15 days ago

|

I used to have a good job, minimal responsibility, supporting others with their work, and then I got “promoted” to a position with tons of responsibility and I had minimal training. There are so many regulations, processes and tribal knowledge that exists that I don’t think I can possibly handle this anymore. I’m in a dark spot. Unmotivated to continue working as an engineer, sitting behind a desk researching for hours or days to get one thing done that would have taken someone with experience an hour to complete. I need to change jobs, but I’m not even sure where to go or what I want to do, so I am considering just quitting and picking up enough money to float me until I can figure out what the hell I need to do with my life. Part of me just wishes they’d fire me, or tell me that my performance is downright not cutting it and they need to demote me to anything but this, or lay me off, I honestly don’t care. But i know it is killing me right now, mentally and emotionally.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • akorn77

I'm in a similar position. I'll be quitting soon. My health is not more important than money. Everything happens for a reason. We are living in unprecedented times - thinks will work out eventually. Hang in there

15 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• Buzzkutt

Same story there are some differences Job was great until the past 3 years. Work load has tripled, no additional help. I've been there 30 years and have 4 years until I can retire without penalty. I am seriously thinking of taking all my short term disability 26 weeks and then go on my long term disability insurance thats 3 years at 66 percent pay. I know former coworkers that have done this and I always thought they were getting over. Now I am not so sure.

15 days ago

Edit

• JohnnyWix

Are there senior engineers there that you can ask the tribal known questions? You aren’t going to know everything the first day/week. You go through the struggles and learn the regs and process you become successful. Don’t tell my you made it through 4+ years of school without struggling or studying. Hell, college is more about learning how to struggle and succeed than it is about “how to be an engineer”.

15 days ago

Edit

• XTremelyTiredofHR

I've been in jobs that I wasn't trained for. It's such an uneasy feeling. Everyday I had such high anxiety. Everyday I feared being fired. If you get fired you have a higher chance of getting unemployment. If you can't take it anymore and have savings, quit and hopefully you find something quickly. You can demand training and assistance and if they don't provide that to you, do what's best for you.

15 days ago

Edit

• Mindless-Traffic-491

Amen! I am currently in job not trained for and its been 2 months on walking on eggshells hell. Ask for training no training, they just talk around and around about issue. I had to learn Service Now on my own. Still everything i submit is wrong they tell me. Its a nightmare. Looking but waiting for the chat your fired.

15 days ago

Edit

• Mindless-Traffic-491

Ha! you too. Thought I was only one. Well not an engineer but my legal analyst role so over it. I hate the work and nothing is ever right. I took up Instacart for fun and would rather do that all day than current job. Even though make much more in current role. I dread getting up and logging on. Some days I am just waiting to be fired. Sad its only been 2 months. Mentally and emotional takes a toll. Right there I am spent and nothing left for that job. I wish there was chat room for all of us to come together because its rough

15 days ago

Edit

• PicassoPleco

Are you young? Don't worry so much. Most people at work will like it when you aren't so great at your job. If you were too competent then you'd have reason to start worrying. They promoted you so if you fail it is their fault not yours. And they don't want to look bad. Take a deep breath and go with the flow.

15 days ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job