Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

I'm tired of the "Why do you want to work for us?" question

3 months ago

|

Honestly, most of the times I had not heard about the company until the moment I found the posting. I just want to work, there's no mystical and magical reason behind my interest of working for these companies, just me not wanting to starve and looking to be productive somewhere my knowledge and expertise can be beneficial for both parties. I swear I've felt tempted to write a very brutally honest reason just to see what happens.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

CindiMayweather57821

I got tired of this too, especially since I work in communications which is a department in most businesses/industries which meant I often BS-ed my passion for said industries. Like, what, am I really supposed to have a passion for auto manufacturing? Online banking? I’ve decided, instead on focusing on what product any given company produces, to say that I identify with their mission and values because most of them are things we all want in life anyway (equality, sustainability, community, etc). Maybe you can try that (if you haven’t already) and see if that helps?

3 months ago

Edit

meontheweb

That is the correct answer.

3 months ago

Edit

CMDR_KingErvin

The expectation is that you do some research before you show up to the interview, which is odd because so many times I’ve shown up and they don’t even seem like they’ve read my resume. For some reason this expectation doesn’t go both ways.

3 months ago

Edit

AntiguaProducts

Exactly it's like they printed it off right before I rolled into the interview I've had some not even have them in front of them. The recruiters that obviously read them are great they actually ask questions like I've seen you've done this at X company can you dive into that more. Not just like tell me about yourself and your experience. Why take the time to interview someone for a roll if you don't read their resume?

3 months ago

Edit

No-job-no-money

Small company: "I want to be in a place where I'm not just a cog in the machine, and can have plenty of opportunities to grow." Big company: "I want to be in a place where my work has an impact on millions of users." If they press further, admit that they're not the only company offering that opportunity. Which is why you're talking to other companies as well. Obviously, if you truly like that specific company, definitely say that instead. But I still really hate this question so much because it's a joke. Like why do you expect me to feel some sort of passion for a company that hasn't even hired me? Why do you think your company is particularly special? You want my expertise, I want your money. We come to an agreement that trades my experience and expertise for what I feel to be a fair amount of money. As simple as that. You want me to become passionate about your company? Hire me and treat me well for a few years. Keep my wage competitive, my hours reasonable, and treat me with respect and I won't leave your company...at that point, I may even try to bring in talented people that I know by telling them how well you treated me...but don't expect me to feel this way before you've even hired me.

3 months ago

Edit

saltysnatch

Yea

3 months ago

Edit

scanfinn77

Uh, because you pay money for a job I’m qualified for.

3 months ago

Edit

pth72

I have literally used this answer. Didn't get the job.

3 months ago

Edit

RyONegative

My last job hunt I would always spew out the same bullshit they want to hear - something like "I've always had a passion for this industry and blah blah whatever horseshit."

3 months ago

Edit

TYPICAL_T0M

They're asking that to make sure you researched their company first.

3 months ago

Edit

YourWaterloo

Also because realistically if a hiring manager is able to choose between two equally qualified people, and one has a genuine interest in the work/company/organization, and the other does not, the one who does is the more appealing choice and is more likely to be enthusiastic and stick around. People here sometimes act like compensation is literally the only consideration when job hunting, but most job seekers do have preferences when it comes to industry, company size and structure, daily tasks, etc. It seems like a pretty reasonable thing to ask about.

3 months ago

Edit

Friendly_Villager

I think they do this because they hope that person applying knows what they want as far as a work environment and type of work. Because of this is it implied the person applying should do some research on the company. If they hire someone and it turns out they dont like the CEO or where it is located or even against the company's public politics.... Then it was a waste of money hiring that person.

3 months ago

Edit

Drakenzelda151

Funny consider d-bags still get hired and make work miserable for others.

3 months ago

Edit

Vlegm

I need money. You have money.

3 months ago

Edit

grinnx

And add the "You need worker. I am worker."

3 months ago

Edit

NoBreakfast379

Glad to see other people dislike this question. Whenever I’m job searching and applying for a new position, I’m usually motivated by reasons other than the work itself, tbh. For example, I was job searching late last year because my boss was awful. Can’t say that in a job interview. Years ago, I was searching because I was planning to move to a different state due to my personal life. I WAS honest about that during the interview process, and in retrospect it may have hurt me (it took me a really long time to find a job in my new state.) So, I just bullshit my way through the interview and play up my skills and what I like to do at work and what I think I can bring to the company. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t! So much depends on the environment, too…. I previously worked in sectors where they really expected you to be passionate about the work. I don’t necessarily think that’s the case in a lot of corporate jobs, where I currently am, but I could be wrong.

3 months ago

Edit

lefty_hefty

I know what you mean. I once worked my way to a buggy really hard to operate online-application tool. And after what felt like hours wasting my time I saw this question. I was so tired at this moment that I came up with the most lame reason. It sounded like a primary school essay. Glad nobody mentioned it during the job-interview. Pretty sure that the people reading my application had a good laugh...

3 months ago

Edit

imnotokaywiththis_

I'm sorry thst happened to you. In my position I hire people, and I have never asked this question to anyone. I'm more interested in knowing what they'll bring than them being a huge fan of the company, or pretending to be it.

3 months ago

Edit

DreamTheaterGuy

I like having a roof over my head, and my food not coming from garbage bins?

3 months ago

Edit

Mojojojo3030

And then they gave the job to Zoidberg ("it was a better fit").

3 months ago

Edit

frombrianna2briemode

I had a former friend who interviews for a server position when a similar question came up, “why do you want this job?” Or “why do you want to work here?” Something like that. And she said, without thinking, “I need money”. To which the interviewer apparently laughed and she got hired. I told her she was lucky as hell and probably shouldn’t try that again cause no way in hell could she luck out twice in that scenario IMO.

3 months ago

Edit

r_m_castro

It happened to me once. I was being interviewed by HR for an internship and told the recruiter I was in need of money. She laughed and I was approved to the next interview. I failed the last one though.

3 months ago

Edit

BurntToast710

I usually go with “I believe that my personality, work ethic, and goals really align well with your company. I can see myself being a successful member of your staff and think I would be a positive influence on the team”

3 months ago

Edit

Wild_Engineering_433

Thank you for this! ☺️

3 months ago

Edit

Arachnesloom

The real answer: I agree, this question is a corporate ritual. given that most job descriptions out there are useless and give you a completely generic description of what could be any job with no salary expectation, they probably just want flattery. The answer to get you hired: Tell them what they want to hear. What is their brand, i.e. how they sell themselves? Do they consider themselves a "game-changer" is the industry because of new technology, or "clean" energy, or some sort of "alternative"? Talk about how that makes them superior to competitors, and also how it aligns with your career goals. (Make up some goals as needed. Sorry.) Look up some articles on that particular technological advance or approach and be able to talk about its impact. When I was job-hunting recently (got a job in March), I basically invented a whole new backstory and character for each interview. Totally agree with the comment above saying you can't know if the company's actually right for you until you've worked there. If they treat you well, loyalty should follow - not before.

3 months ago

Edit

WeezySan

Can you put that in an example answer. Say for an accounting job. 😅

3 months ago

Edit

fishshake

*"No, sir, I have no experience but I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where you come in."*

3 months ago

Edit

SmashinCetacean

“I don’t, but I need money in order to eat and live, and I could probably do this job.”

3 months ago

Edit

IGNSolar7

As you get older and into more in-demand jobs, this actually can be a relevant question. Like, I've worked for SEGA in the past, and I always REALLY wanted to work there because I was passionate about the brand and always loved Sonic growing up. There was genuine fulfillment in what I did for a living because I got to take Sonic out to public events for kids and stuff in a PR role. That dream may be Google, or Facebook, or Marvel, or Disney... but there's some chance.

3 months ago

Edit

The123123

I dont like asking or when people ask "why do you want to work for us" because it seems presumptive that the person WANTS to work for you, when in reality that candidate may not have wanted to work there but was in fact RECRUITED. I have hiring managers blow it with candidates all the time over this. They dont want a unempyed people or "active" job seekers because they think thats a red flag...so when you go find them a fucking mercenary whos at the top of their game and doesnt *need* the job theyre like "well, that candidate doesnt seem bery hungry for the job"...THATS THE FUCKING POINT, IDIOT. Its like you're a 3/10 who wants to fuck super models, and when one finally agrees to youre like...*meh, but shes not that into it.* No shit sherlock. When people apply directly to my company ill ask them why they were interested/what made them want to apply...not because im evaluating their answers but mainly because I want to find out: 1) How did they find out about the job 2) was there something in the way we advertised/posted the job that caught there attention? 3) maybe they hAve some sort of interesting story about the company that makes good conversation or theyre intimatley familiar with our products/services already. But if someone was straight up just like "hey, im out of work, this job is in my field so I applied" thats cool too. It gives us an opportunity to talk about the company a bit and make sure its a fit for what the candidate even wants in the first place.

3 months ago

Edit

balunstormhands

Yeah, its amazing how much self-awareness they don't have shows up through this question.

3 months ago

Edit

HellWithHemingway

Job interviews are just contests in lying - between the candidates and between the company and you. They lie about how great it is to work there (it *usually* isn’t). You lie about a time you did something at work that demonstrates something. You lie about how much you’d love to work there. Obviously there are grains of truth in everything, but it’s a contest in lying all around.

3 months ago

Edit

PaidByPutinBot123

Honest answer: "Because I'm about to commit suicide if I'm stuck paying for university while working at McDonalds"

3 months ago

Edit

Waitress-in-mn

The best way to deal with this question is to research the company before you apply. Find something about the company itself that you enjoy and use that to explain why you want to work for them. This also makes you look good to them because employers love applicants that do their reading up on the company.

3 months ago

Edit

martinfox23

or because i need money

3 months ago

Edit

Thorfaxx

Because I need money

3 months ago

Edit

thick_andy

I’m a job person. Love jobs.

3 months ago

Edit

battlerazzle01

Had a job contact me randomly, in a field I have no experience in, and the interview was rather casual. Wasn’t sure if I should take it seriously. When the production manager asked me this question, I answered honestly. “My wife recently lost her job, we’ve got bills to pay and three kids to feed”. He looked at me for a second and then asked if I would be interested in X amount an hour. I said yes, he asked me to start on Monday. Been there since.

3 months ago

Edit

Silencer271

lol yeah I had an interview asking this and I said cause I need money and a job lol she said no one ever said that before and was always stuff like I love the brand or whatever blah blah lol this was like interview number 100 or so last year. I was tired of interviews wanted a job.. they offered to under what I wanted and under what they should be paying for the role.

3 months ago

Edit

barleyqueen

They thought you were desperate and undercut you as a result. Disgusting business practice. I am so sorry.

3 months ago

Edit

blueaurelia

I was able to get an interview (environmental inspector) even though I did not have all the qualifications, mostly thanks to my cover letter, where I had specifically stated the reasons I was interested working at that place and team. During the interview they asked why I wanted to work there. They also brought my cover letter up, that they really liked my letter and how they felt its very genuine etc. Most companies etc does have their own website where they state what their values are, their motto, maybe projects they work with, what they look for in a team member etc. So its not hard to find something, literally anything to align with your values, dreams, etc. Unless its a company that goes totally against your values. In the end they did go for a candidate that was more qualified though and that sucked, but atleast I did get some interview training which I really needed and I know for sure my cover letter is able to shine amongst so many other letters.

3 months ago

Edit

Amaj7chord

Congrats on getting that interview! You’ll be better off of the next one now! Can I ask if you had a very formal cover letter or was it more laidback?

3 months ago

Edit

yourscreennamesucks

Just make up something. Try to say something that will hit home with the person who is interviewing you. Do they seem very family oriented? Say you want to move closer to family. It worked for me.

3 months ago

Edit

imnotokaywiththis_

I try this all the time. It's just that it gets exhausting having to do it for every company you apply. It gets to a point where I don't know what else to say.

3 months ago

Edit

liquidelectricity

Sorry to hear this, but why would a company invest time and energy to train you if they feel you are using it as a stepping stone? Think of it from the employer perspective?

3 months ago

Edit

puppy_lova

On the flip side, many companies don't even offer permanent positions anymore. They offer contracts so they can easily get rid of you when it suits them. Why should interviewees fake being passionate about something when an employer doesn't give two craps about them and treats them as though they are disposable regardless of whether they're a great employee? I understand that employers ask this question for the underlying purpose of whether you've done some research, but it does get old pretending to want to work for every company you interview for. As someone who's been unemployed for 6 months, I can tell you that I don't have the luxury of applying to only the jobs I'm passionate about. Sorry, but I've got bills to pay and the biggest priority is having an income. That's just being realistic. And certain jobs are always stepping stones. Think of entry-level positions or dead-end jobs where turnover is high. They obviously know people are not in it for the long haul.

3 months ago

Edit

persondude27

It seems that the reasons you don't like this question are the same reasons an interviewer likes this question. The question is to gauge you and your research on the company. Are you invested in this interview, or are your wasting my time? I agree that if it's a freaking minimum wage or dead-end job, it's a stupid question. Think of this question of "what excites you about this role?" Do you think the product is cool? Is the commute better? Did you check on GlassDoor and it said that the CEO seems like a cool guy? Any of those is a good answer. Also, you know that this question in particular shakes you, so spend five minutes coming up with an answer for that. Research the company and figure out what you think would be enjoyable about this work and have that in your back pocket.

3 months ago

Edit

LoveHandlePandF

It seems pointless unless it's a bigger company or a job that's higher than entry level, but even then, I had that question. I had to make up a bs reason, saying it was because I enjoy working with people and it would be nice to interact with them when I hate dealing with people and the customers were the worst thing about working there

3 months ago

Edit

lannisterstark

I literally told my last interview "I didn't but your recruiter contacted me" and it got laughs. I work there now.

3 months ago

Edit

calladus

"Because our goals align. Namely, mastering new technology and getting paid to deliver goods and services to the customer."

3 months ago

Edit

eyewave

I'm just brutally honest at answering this question nowadays: since I'm already in a job, messing other interviews isn't a repulsive idea to me and it shows which scale of values I can agree on with the potential employer. If they won't agree then good riddance. Last interview that I was asked why I wanted this opportunity, I just said it's closer in distance to my family, in an English-speaking country, and I want work conditions that are a better fit for my creative spirit. Deal with it or don't, I don't care too much.

3 months ago

Edit

FallbrookDave

I enjoy money, and your company needs great people like me.

3 months ago

Edit

GiftoftheGaffe

Same. I'm sure even the company is tired of it, as it's made up on people who too had to answer that question and who aren't robots and should know the true answer to those questions, yet we all have to pretend. The illusion runs so deep not even the puppet masters will pull more authentic strings if the well-moulded monkey dance has worked for a long time, and for a lot of people up. If we had to rank questions, that one would be on the lowest rung along with 'where do you see yourself in five years.'

3 months ago

Edit

inner_sight1

The answers to these questions can reveal a lot about a person actually, even though they do sound stupid.

3 months ago

Edit

PapaMurphy2000

I've been upfront when asked this question over the years. You have a job that suits me well, I need a job like it. Bing bang boom.

3 months ago

Edit

_idontgiveadamn_

Honestly, I never apply to a job where I am unable to answer "Why do you want to work for us?" If I can't determine why I want to work for a company then I probably won't be happy working there. Workplace happiness comes first. I've worked a job once before where the money was great, but the culture was complete hell. No amount of money will persuade me into going back to that place. However, I understand that some people only apply to jobs for the money or because they are desperate for work. But you've pretty much answered the question. You said "looking to be productive somewhere my knowledge and expertise can be beneficial for both parties". Elaborate on that. You don’t always have to want to work for a company because of their mission or what they do. Saying that your knowledge and expertise can be beneficial is an acceptable answer, you just have to appropriately elaborate on it.

3 months ago

Edit

barleyqueen

I agree with this. Maybe it’s something about the role you like, like the types of problems you’ll be tackling and the kinds of skills you’ll get to use. You did apply to that specific job for a reason and there is probably more to it than “because you’re hiring.” Lots of places are hiring, but you applied for that specific role at that specific company. Why? Your answer to that question might be the same in your interview with Acme Corp. and in your interview with Stark Industries. That’s perfectly okay. They aren’t comparing notes.

3 months ago

Edit

inner_sight1

what you said: > looking to be productive somewhere my knowledge and expertise can be beneficial for both parties. That's definitely acceptable. It might be good if you can find something specific about the company that you like but not always necessary. Sometimes that info is hard to find anyway. The interviewer is just looking to see if you have some level of commitment to the job and/or company. You could probably find ways to convey that without having to do a ton of research on the company. When someone says "I need a job" it's really just stating the obvious. I've interviewed people who said that and I responded, well so does everyone else, what's the difference between you and all those other people? It is a dumb question really, because people who need money are actually more committed to keeping a job. But that answer compared to someone else's might be a deal breaker. The interviewer might think you'll quit the job as soon as you find something else that pays better (which you absolutely should) but you don't want them to know that.

3 months ago

Edit

identicaltwin00

I completely agree, I haven't had to job search in awhile, but I did try to look for quite some time while still employed with my long time employer a few years ago and this question always baffled me.

3 months ago

Edit

kitten-toy

I say the same thing for 9/10 companies. “I want to work at your company to learn and gain more experience and I could see myself exceeding these goals at your company”. Sometimes I’ll tell them what I will do to help improve their company. Majority of the time a company lacks social media presence.

3 months ago

Edit

croatoan34

They all ask this question too and it’s so moronic. “Why do you want to work for us?” “I’m just like…. Super passionate about groceries” “It’s always been my dream to be the best burger flipper in the continental United States” Like why tf do you think I want to work here?

3 months ago

Edit

UsefulFlight7

Oh 🤷🏽‍♀️, I’d prefer to not be homeless?

3 months ago

Edit

Nouseriously

I got asked this applying for a job in college. Felt like answering "I don't want to work for The Gap, you don't even want to work for The Gap, NO ONE wants to work for The Gap. But we do like to eat, so here we are..."

3 months ago

Edit

saltysnatch

Basically the only way to pass a job interview is to mainly sell lies. Which is why I haven’t had a job in six years. I have an inability to lie 😔

3 months ago

Edit

MeowWareBite

It's just one of those low hanging fruit question to help dwindle the pool of candidate. Even if a response is BS, it can gauge how much a candidate knows/ study about the company. Generally, the more detail and specifics the answer, the better. A candidate that answer they are passionate about a general topic/ subject isn't as compelling as a candidate that answer they are interested on a specific project or problem the company is working on.

3 months ago

Edit

chainedtomydesk

lol couldn’t agree more - ‘I want to work for you since I like being able to feed and clothe myself whilst having a roof over my head’

3 months ago

Edit

drainisbamaged

Why not just write that? Like literally that? I'd key on the honesty when reviewing that interview Q.

3 months ago

Edit

lenswipe

It's especially a bullshit question if the recruiter won't tell you who the client is(which they often won't out of fear you'll go round them)...so the first you know is when you show up on the day

3 months ago

Edit

SalemKFox

One of these days, I want to give the most off the wall answers and see if any of them sticks enough that they hire me on the spot. But sadly, I cant afford to be that extra lol.

3 months ago

Edit

FrostyLandscape

You can always just regurgitate stuff you read about their company on their company website. So it demonstrated you learned about the company prior to going on the interview.

3 months ago

Edit

the_cnara

I just want to be like “I do not want to work for you, but I will literally die without money”

3 months ago

Edit

Dadx2now

Most of the time this is to guage whether you've researched the company at all, to see how interested you are in the process. I can't tell you the amount of people I've interviewed who clearly know nothing about the company they're applying for. A basic level of understanding of the company demonstrates initiative, critical thinking and possibly an understanding of business strategy, depending on the job you're going for. As an interviewer I often find it an illuminating question.

3 months ago

Edit

MADDOGCA

Because you're hiring...?

3 months ago

Edit

PonderAsunder

I think I would talk more about the role and how it helps me grow professionally and how I think I can contribute to it. The company is secondary to the position itself.

3 months ago

Edit

verathedeparted

No kidding! The BSing that goes along with job searching and interviewing is so tiring. Like does this random fast food place really want to hear that serving fries is my dream job and in ten years I want to be the manager? Puh-leaze, that’s obviously bullshit, I need a job to make money and that’s it.

3 months ago

Edit

Arrow_Flash626

I usually will just say that I feel it could be a good growing opportunity for me to advance my career or something like that

3 months ago

Edit

XSelectedItemX

Exactly. Me during the interview when asked why I want to work for THIER company: Trying to clear out all the thoughts of just working to live and coming up with some bullshit reason on why I think the company is a great fit... Like just give me the job

3 months ago

Edit

reap3rSec

I need life tickets to sustain my existence

3 months ago

Edit

ly93

Let me plays devils advocate, as someone who runs a company and hires. Why should I hire you if you don't have a real reason to be there? That likely means you'd jump ship at first opportunity, and that you're going to be unmotivated, take zero initiative, and do the bare minimum for a paycheque. It's not hard to find someone who has actually passion for what we are building, maybe have used our products before, and want to be there for more than just a pay cheque. I would never hire someone whose just trying to get paid and has no other reason to work for my company

3 months ago

Edit

balunstormhands

It's not a great question, and its related to the "Why are you leaving your current job?" They just want to hear that they are somehow amazing. Go to their About page and find something interesting you can talk up. "You do cybersecurity. I want to stop the black hats that are wrecking the economy." or "You do medical research, I want to help the anti-COVID effort." or "I was amazed at the veterans ERG you have."

3 months ago

Edit

Pharschnar

“We’re just curious. Didn’t you read the post? This place is hell. Interminable hours, no breaks, no benefits and you came begging at our door. We’re perplexed.”

3 months ago

Edit

GunsmokeG

Just play the game. They know you need a job. Half the interview process for certain jobs is them wanting to see if you do your homework and how polished you can put it together.

3 months ago

Edit

WBigly-Reddit

Their looking for a positive attitude of some sort. You can say what you’re thinking now and do so in a positive manner. It can work either way, but gives you the advantage in that they know you’re there for the paycheck and not for sone other altruistic reason they can hold over your head later on.

3 months ago

Edit

Bridgestone14

Try to find something, even if it is just to help you get excited about the job. A new technology you want to be better at, good people you know who work there, the service they provide. But yeah sometimes you just need a job.

3 months ago

Edit

exonetjono

If i remembered right these questions are more about assesing whether or not the applicant knows what kind of job or type of company they applied to. Meaning how you intend to utilize your skillset for the position you're applying for and whether or not your personality allign with what they need at that time. This is probably to prevent people who thinks skillset acquired for x years from call centers easily translate to targeted advertising. Personality plays big role as well, since I doubt anyone wish to hire a know it all or the type you know will add toxicity to workplace.

3 months ago

Edit

NinjaTurtle2077

Yeah it sucks but tbh it’s not that hard just research on the company website and BS your way with some buzzwords The reality is we have to lie and BS our way through interviews, honesty is not rewarded

3 months ago

Edit

webstruments

We all should!!!!

3 months ago

Edit

BluetoothMcGee

> I swear I've felt tempted to write a very brutally honest reason just to see what happens. I tried that before in a job interview I had with a big name department store. I told them, plain and simple, that I'm a college student, I'm bored when I'm not studying, and I need money. Needless to say, the interview ended right then and there. Apparently, they want someone who has a SpongeBob-esque enthusiasm for a part-time, minimum wage, retail sales job.

3 months ago

Edit

BadMotherFolklore

The honest truth was, I very much wanted to *not* be working where I was working at the time of the interview. I almost didn't care where I would be working next. In fact literally didn't care as long as the wage was roughly equivalent. Fortunately this interview was for a job doing something that I've literally done as a hobby, as a side business, and as a career, for a company that I've already done a lot of business with for a very long time, so it was pretty easy to pivot on most interview questions and make the interviewer do the talking.

3 months ago

Edit

TheAmbitiousDave

Interviews are about your social aptitude in addition to your past experience. They want to see how good you are on your feet and if you can be persuasive. No, not all jobs require social aptitude, but hiring managers still seek it.

3 months ago

Edit

Mojojojo3030

Honestly I prefer questions for which I've already prepared answers, and you can bet I've prepared an answer for this one. Is it stupid? Yes. Do I GAF? No. Would I prefer them to "keep me on my toes" with original equally stupid questions for which I haven't prepared answers? HELL no. Is this just me.

3 months ago

Edit

Mindless_Psychology

I feel like this question would be better if I got interviewed by a company I was passionate about. Right now it’s just like I like money so I can not be homeless. Seriously though I’m planning on going back to school soon for nursing because I love to help people. I don’t feel like customer service and retail management is really helping people.

3 months ago

Edit

JamPBes

Exactly! It’s irritating. Sorry, I’m here for a job and the prospect of not screwing up my life. I have a ton of skills I’d like to utilise FOR this job. Were you expecting something more intricate and eloquent? Because I have got none.

3 months ago

Edit

posoodsh

Long time back, during my first job interview, I told me duh cos you have a vacancy. Obviously dint impress him, and I dint get the job either lol. The impress me motto starts from here. :/

3 months ago

Edit

Dvsd888

I have a fear of starving to death

3 months ago

Edit

Praetor918

Sometimes dumbass questioms like that are a good way for you to differentiate yourself. Be specific and do your research about the why part, and come interview day act like youre auditioning for a hollywood role

3 months ago

Edit

snizzlegout

Does anyone have a template/example answer someone could use. It's so exhausting having to even entertain this type of question.

3 months ago

Edit

jessicahueneberg

I applied to a company that produces a revolutionary product for diabetes after my dad died of complications from diabetes. It was the only place I actually wanted to work at. Well during the interview they asked why I wanted to work there and I told them the truth. I got pushback from the interviewer about how I may be too emotional to work there. I got pissed and told them that I was really good at my job and if that wasn’t what they were looking for then I won’t waste any more of their time. I got the job but man, fuck that interview.

3 months ago

Edit

Atrocious_1

A good counter to this is asking them "why should I work here". Companies need to start explaining why they're good to work for, beyond getting a paycheck. Because if your company sucks, Bill, people are just going to leave for a better gig.

3 months ago

Edit

imnotokaywiththis_

If only this was a question asked during the interview. I always find it in the application form.

3 months ago

Edit

Simspidey

You can be honest. But think about the difference between you and someone who actually DOES know the company/uses their products/knows other employees who is also applying for the position and has to answer that question. It's an immediate loss to say "I just want money".

3 months ago

Edit

Innocentrage1

"I like money!" - Mr Krabs

3 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

Amen. You and me both.

3 months ago

Edit

Mrsnutkin

Me too. I’m sick of having to fill out applications when a resume would do. “Why do you want to work for us?” “To be honest, I need money to live. Your job will give me money. The end.”

3 months ago

Edit

abnormallyme

Worse is when they seek you out...like you're the one who wanted me to work here. Not the other way around.

3 months ago

Edit

Tackley_

Such an arrogant question to be asked during an interview. When it’s posed to me I direct it back to how they are in a product/market etc where I have expertise and it appears to be a great fit for us both.

3 months ago

Edit

coolaznkenny

The real question isn't why do you want to work for us its more like "how good at you at bullshitting?" Every single person in that company know its money but the true test is how good at you are gaming corporate culture.

3 months ago

Edit

The_Question757

I don't even entertain that stupid question anymore I simply say the job looks good and I'm interested in the pay and benefits

3 months ago

Edit

TheNonDuality

It’s a filter question. If I was hiring and had multiple good candidates, and I asked that question. I’d definitely give the job to the person who at least tried to come up with something, instead of the person who said they’re looking for a job. How hard is it to say, “I believe in this company, and I want to work for a company I believe in” or “this job seems like a great way to spend a day” or “the opportunity excites me.”

3 months ago

Edit

imnotokaywiththis_

So what, you prefer a condescending answer then? That is absurd. I do hire people and I don't care to know why they want to work for my company. I want to know what they will bring for me and then I can make sure I give them everything they need to feel valued and THEN they can feel truly connected to the company, not before.

3 months ago

Edit

BobSacramanto

I’m really passionate about not starving to death.

3 months ago

Edit

Cybion_

Yeah interviewers can make some of the dumbest questions

3 months ago

Edit

Triple10X

I hate this question and never ask it to interviewees. Instead I describe the company and the role and ask if they would be interested. Big I think comp may be an issue based on their resume I will also bring that up. You’d be surprised how many people respond back that they aren’t interested or give a long pause. Helps save everyone a lot of time.

3 months ago

Edit

avangard_2225

See and raise. Mine is “what makes you qualified for this role?”

3 months ago

Edit

llksg

As a hiring manager, I’ve asked this question. 1. It often exposes how much effort/time was put into interview prep 2. My colleagues and I really are all passionate about the company - they don’t have to feel the passion now but as part of our company values it’s really important that they at least ‘get it’ 3. It’s an opportunity to show they actually understand what the company does (surprisingly not all people do understand that) This is a valid and important question and also, mate, just play the game.

3 months ago

Edit

FTM-Oct2020

And that is exactly why they ask the question. They want to hire someone who wants to work there, not just someone who found the job posting.

3 months ago

Edit

imnotokaywiththis_

Me not knowing the company doesn't mean that I don't want to work there or that I can't get to love and admire what they do. I want to work, I live what I do and I'm passionate about it. And at the same time it's true that not all of us can find our dream job. Maybe I get to work for a company I had never heard of before and find out that was my dream job.

3 months ago

Edit

Birdflare

The reason is because most people don’t have the motivation and self discipline to do well at a job when the only thing motivating them is that they need money or they want to escape a bad job they’re in now. Employers are looking for something that indicates you have it in you to put up with the inevitable grind that every job becomes. Most of you whining here look like exactly the type of poor workers this question is designed to weed out.

3 months ago

Edit

Unltd8828

I think it’s more of why you want to work for them specifically. Like if you work at a dealership, they’ll ask why Toyota. Not necessarily why you want to work period. Everyone knows why people want/need to work - because they need money to survive and live.

3 months ago

Edit

alanamil

As an employer who is guilty of asking that question LOL I would love to hear an original answer :)

3 months ago

Edit

Adept-Professional

It's much easier to answer when you interview for a company in an industry that you're *actually* passionate about.

3 months ago

Edit

king-schultz

I love this question. Such a layup, and let's you show that you've done your homework.

3 months ago

Jobs For You