It took me years to get these two simple concepts about resumes through my head

a month ago

|

son_of_tv_c

These are both pretty basic, so if you've been around the block a few times, you probably already know these. Still, it took me years to figure it out and when my friends ask me to look over their resumes they make these mistakes, so maybe this will help someone out here **A resume is a sales pitch, not a list of what you did** I fell for this one for years, thinking I should simply list out where I worked, when, and what I did. But the truth is that the person reading it doesn't care, they care about what you can do for them. So rather than doing that, focus on accomplishments, how you improved the company, increased profits, whatever. Even if you were a cashier, saying something like "efficiently operated point-of-sale terminal to ensure customer throughput and satisfaction" sounds better than "operated cash register". In fact, every single thing on your resume should be making you look good, supporting the central point that they should hire you and not the 99 other people who applied. If it doesn't support that point, change it so it does or take it off. **Assume that the person reading it will only spend 10 seconds on it** I've seen people with big long paragraphs on their resume, and that's a nono because the person reading it will have a stack of resumes and spend like 10 seconds on each one. No one will want to read through paragraphs. Assume that they're only going to skim it, so you have to catch their eye to make them want to read it more. ~~Actually, assume that a machine will read it first and reject it if doesn't contain enough keywords. Then a person will spend 10 seconds on it.~~ You don't have to do the white text keyword trick, just pepper the words in your resume, make them fit. If they use the word "leverage" in the job description, it means they want to see it, so use it somewhere in your resume instead of "use" or "utilize" (as an aside I hate the way this word is being used, but gotta play the game). Hope that helps someone EDIT: People are getting hung up on the software scanning your resume and rejecting it part. Let's just say as a person who works with data and is aware of what software can do, as well as the incentives for companies to do it, I straight up don't believe that it doesn't exist and isn't used extensively. That said, I'm not trying to argue that point so I crossed it out so we can remain noncontroversial.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• xiipaoc

> efficiently operated point-of-sale terminal to ensure customer throughput and satisfaction If I see that on a résumé, I will be able to smell the bullshit through the computer screen, and I'll probably ask why they're trying to bullshit me on their résumé. Seriously, don't do this. Being a cashier is tough; actually tell us what was tough about it and what you accomplished. What challenges did you overcome? Are you a POS expert now; should I hire you to fix POS terminals? Did you have to engage in problem-solving? Did you have to satisfy unruly and demanding customers? *That* is interesting. Your ability to leverage supernumerary verbiage does not qualify you for a position!

a month ago

• son_of_tv_c

yeah so here's the thing - resume advice from hiring managers is often contradictory. You may tell me putting this on my resume will automatically disqualify me, but the next one will tell me not putting it on my resume will disqualify me. With so much of resume formatting seeming to be at the arbitrary whims of whatever hiring manager happens to be reading my resume, really the only option is to do what you think is best. And I don't see how this is bullshit - operating a register efficiently ensures customer throughput and satisfaction. Where's the lie? Would you rather I not operate the register efficiently?

a month ago

• danram207

Recruiter here. Yep, pretty much spot on except for the ATS auto-rejecting based on keywords. A lot of misconceptions about that.

a month ago

• throwawayworkguy

From your perspective, what is happening?

a month ago

• BrianNowhere

The ten seconds is the first glance. Probably more like four seconds. If they're intrigued by something you get another ten seconds and so on. Write it with that in mind.

a month ago

• danram207

This is great advice \^\^

a month ago

• sread2018

OMG for the people in the back who aren't listening. THERE ARE NO MACHINES THAT READ RESUMES!!! I promise each and every one of you, there is a recruiter sifting and reading through your application. NO SUCH CV READING PROGRAM EXISTS. Sincerely, Tired Tech Recruiter sitting at her laptop late at night reading your resumes. P.S- ignore anyone that tells you this magical software exists

a month ago

• wcsfarm

Piping in because I recently looked into ARS (Automated Resume Screener) software for my company. Three that came up were Sovren, FreshTeam, and DucknOwl. They might not quite be magical, but they do seem to be able to use AIs to read the resume and could be set up to auto-reject based on a percentage of deviation from the original posting wording (i.e. lack of "keywords"). Ducknowl's marketing even specifically says: "Ducknowl sorts resume based upon the keywords set up by you and rank them so you can prioritize your time."

a month ago

• JustACub69

Good advice, most HR people or manager end up throwing your resume in the trash if it’s over 2 pages long or they don’t see any job for job related experience

a month ago

• Susfactor2

Utilize algorithms to help you determine an adequate word count to font size ratio as well as give you a rough idea of the reading comprehension required to understand your resume. I have 8 years of experience so I found what I think to be the professional sweet spot of 350+ words on 1 page. I also keep them to a high school graduate difficulty in terms of comprehension. I've seen hiring managers that barely made it out of high school alive. There really are people that won't understand your resume if it's geared towards college graduates. Simple and effective. It really is the way to go.

a month ago

• lancea_longini

I sometimes get a resume where I am like “what the fuck is this? Are they serious? Did they read the job posting? I’ll look at the requirements of the job and find a keyword that is searchable. I’ll CTRL + F that fucking keyword. If it’s not there I then print out the resume and the crumple it up and throw it away.

a month ago

• saruin

I don't think this applies to federal jobs.

a month ago

• ValBravora048

Someone told me this. Copy and past the job ad in tiny white font in the footnote as it’ll be caught by the keyword algorithm for what ever inane bs it’s been programmed for

a month ago

• Dramatic_Average_359

So… I have been on several hiring committees and can say 100% there are bots looking for keywords Just saying. We use them…

a month ago

Community Discussions

Jobs For You