Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Laid off after my first day?

11 days ago

|

I had just gotten a job and was excited to start. My start date was pushed a week which did not alarm me at the time. The company switched CEOs and apparently some changes were coming. I had given my 2 weeks at my other job, they did a background check, I negotiated my salary and signed offer letters, did 3 interviews, picked up the supplied computer and phone, made a home office, and other things. Everything went very smoothly. The company is pretty big so I did not think this would be an issue. I showed up for my first day today (remote position but the first day was in person and the person I was supposed to meet was not notified (no-show). I waited 2 hours and started to plan out my marketing strategy. After waiting, and I contacted the party that should have been there and getting no reply, I told the office manager I was going to go home and work there, she agreed and called the hiring manager in front of me to notify him and he also agreed it was a good idea. HR was also told and I got the greenlight. I then had a meeting with the director of marketing(who I was meant to meet in person) online a little later and outlined our plan. Everything went great. I get a call from HR later telling me that they are "no longer proceeding with the position"... They informed me that I did nothing wrong but it was a call from upper management. The person who had hired me is no longer with them (even though I interviewed with 2 others who are still there). After I politely told the HR manager about the situation they would be putting me in and the general unprofessional behavior of it all, she told me she would talk to upper management to see what can be done. I am assuming nothing will be done and it was a useless platitude. They told me I would be paid for the week and I would need to arrange a drop-off for the equipment. I would also be the first pick if the position opened back up ( I would not accept it due to the nature of it all and unprofessionalism). Is there anything I can do?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Desert_Fairy

Talk about last in first out. File for unemployment and black list that company. Good luck in your job search.

11 days ago

Edit

UtopiaNation

1. File for unemployment 2. Black list that company 3. Complain about that company on review sites like Glassdoor 4. Spread the news to your friends and family about what that company did to you Companies like these are horrible to work for. Let people know to help future job seekers not have to go through what you went through. It'll also help make the company pay for their misdeeds by weakening their job candidate pools.

10 days ago

Edit

Mojojojo3030

Yeah I would see a lawyer about this one. This sounds like detrimental reliance even if you didn’t sign a contract.

11 days ago

Edit

MayorWildcat

Get a lawyer

11 days ago

Edit

PontificatingPonce

Name and shame the company - companies that do this to people don’t deserve anonymity.

11 days ago

Edit

muffinTrees

Agreed.

11 days ago

Edit

throwaymoneyQ

I’m sorry this happened to you. I would call your old job right away and see if your position is still open. Unless you have several other offers

11 days ago

Edit

DireStraitsLion

Would they even take him back though? Do companies do that?

10 days ago

Edit

queen-of-carthage

There's no way I would drop off the equipment, tell them they can send you a shipping label at their expense

11 days ago

Edit

RDPCG

They'll simply dock you for the equipment. Return the equipment, get it over with and take some other course of action like reviewing the company or getting an employment lawyer.

10 days ago

Edit

ibrokemyserious

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with respect to your employment but you should leave a review on Glassdoor so other people will know this company can't be trusted. Reading about your experience will make other potential employees think twice about working there and it will be much harder for them to hire. That's what they deserve and you deserve to work for a better company that doesn't pull this nonsense. This is such a scumbag move! I'm so sorry this happened to you!

11 days ago

Edit

andyman234

This… why don’t you start with us… who are these clowns?

11 days ago

Edit

Lakersrock111

So how can I avoid the giving two weeks for when I am hired by company B? I work for company A currently. I had a company tell me that I would have to give the two weeks before working for them. I am thinking of just working weekends at company A and then taking on the new company B full time. Then after the three months are done (the probation period), then I would end it with company A.

11 days ago

Edit

fapmaster1

I hate every single thing about this situation and is one of my fears whenever I have to change jobs,no matter what we are always in the losing position. Good luck and hope everything turns out right

10 days ago

Edit

ericleonardo87

Exactly, sometimes just having a stable, even if not the dream job, is good enough. After a certain age I just can't be bothered with all the drama or companies that agree to something, then backtrack.

10 days ago

Edit

RDPCG

>They told me I would be paid for the week and I would need to arrange a drop-off for the equipment. How did you leave things with your previous employer? Any chance you can go back to them for the time being? Not ideal, but shit, neither is getting laid off on your first day of work. Sorry about that - I've heard that happening before, but what a screw up. Also - months down the line, I'd post a review on Glassdoor. Change the details around, including your employment dates, but seriously - I'd let others know on Glassdoor.

10 days ago

Edit

HeavenKevin24

You can talk to an employment lawyer and see what they think about the situation and if there are any options for you.

11 days ago

Edit

Drwolf72

Wow.. this is a brutal post. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Unfortunately for you, you dont have much recourse of action. You did no work that was document-able and that all you did was show up on your first day. All that happened was that before you got the news from HR was that the upper-echelon of people were discussing the situation, and made that move. You had no control over this and was something that unfortunately happened. You dont have any legal courses of action because you were not fired or discriminated in any way shape or form. The best way I can probably spin this for you is for you avoided a brutal company to work for and you will find something better. I would suggest if you can get your old job back, do so as soon as possible.i If that is not feasible, you'll find something better.

11 days ago

Edit

lightning_knight

Promissory Estoppel

10 days ago

Edit

damnthatscrazytho

I hate to think they they may have had a hiring quota/mandate and they put you through the process just to get some sort of incentive or something.

10 days ago

Edit

Desertbro

To a less intense degree, I experience a similar back-stab. Year 1999, start-ups are everywhere, hiring people right and left. I get a call from a pal who's at a place and they are looking for another web guy. Substantial bump from my low-level drone job, so I interview, get hired on. I'm there two weeks getting the feel of the place - it's small, less than 50 people. Middle of week 2 a hatchet man shows up unannounced. Half the employees are axed in the blink of an eye - of course, I'm one of them. My bananas and milk were still fresh from week 1, but I'm was unemployed, no health insurance, sweating about the rent. Two months later, I had a similar job, but the same start-up / layoff happened to me twice more in 4 years. Son of a Mother of a Son\~!

10 days ago

Edit

Suckmyjuul

Since they paid you for the week there is a record that they hired you. I think you could possibly get unemployment

10 days ago

Edit

DrWhoaFan

Pawn the computer and treat that as compensation

11 days ago

Edit

WhileExcellent1679

best i can do is 5 bucks.

11 days ago

Edit

WildButterscotch5028

Keep the equipment.

10 days ago

Edit

damnthatscrazytho

Maybe something came up on the background screen that they didn’t like, and weren’t willing to discuss. A letter confirming your salary can be useful for your next job.

10 days ago

Edit

Breatheme444

Legally isn’t he entitled to a copy of his background check?

10 days ago

Edit

EndTimesRadio

Never seen it happen, ever. > I waited 2 hours and started to plan out my marketing strategy tbh I'd have done the same but the knee-jerk reflex is to say "give it a half hour at most." File for unemployment.

10 days ago

Edit

CosmicLightning

1st: Get a lawyer if you can to determine the ideal response to this. 2nd: If no lawyer capabilities, I would gile for unemployment with being laid off. They might try to fight through this, so make sure you got a written letter saying you were laid off. 3rd: Look for other jobs. Sucks but it's what you need to do. I have been looking for awhile. Plenty if jobs, lack of jobs that respect their employees now.

10 days ago

Edit

LincHayes

Not much you can do. It sucks, but you got screwed. Depending on what state you're in, as most have now become "right to work" states, a lawyer probably won't do you any good. Look at the offer letter you signed. I'm willing to bet there's a "we can fire you at any time" clause buried in it somewhere. There may also be something about severance. Go back and read what you signed.

10 days ago

Jobs For You