Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

My position is being advertised for more than what I make. How do I bring this up without losing my job?

21 days ago

|

Some background info: I work in education as a teacher’s aide. Due to short staffing, my employer posted job advertisements to find additional aides on Indeed. The pay is advertised as $29,000- $33,000 per year. I only make $29,450. I’ve been working in the same position for 5 years. The job description mentions a certified teacher is preferred, but not required. I am not certified, but this is an aide position that does not require teaching new material, only reviewing material with students. I’m disappointed to see my pay is nearly the lowest in the range, even though I have demonstrated I’m a great employee. I speak Spanish and often translate for students/ parents for free. Lately, I’ve been required to modify lesson plans/ assignments for the students on my caseload with no help or guidance from the certified teachers. However, I receive no planning time to do so. How do I broach the subject without sounding demanding? I feel like they are going to use my lack of certification as a cop out, but it’s really not needed. Through working for 5 years, my experience trumps any certification I could have.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

BobPeterje

It happens a lot. Bring it up with the person who decides your pay. They may care, they may not. I've seen it both ways.

21 days ago

Edit

This. And this is why people job hop - because they can earn more money simply by moving on. Put a case forward for why you deserve more money. If they don’t go for it then look for another, higher paying position.

21 days ago

Edit

queen-of-carthage

Apply for it, lol

20 days ago

Edit

Skyeeflyee

Op, nope. It's a lie. I recently fell for this trap. A teaching support staff job was advertised as 30k- 37k. When I got the position, despite my relevant experience, I was offered 30k. It's a way to get people hooked. The will NOT offer more than 29k. Don't feel jealous, but instead leave. I can't imagine working as a teacher's aide for 5 years and only making 29k. There are bigger and better jobs inside and outside of education.

20 days ago

Edit

plantifax

if she was applying I would agree, but since she has 5 yrs experience it doesnt hurt to ask for a raise.

20 days ago

Edit

madamemoisellex

To be honest, you don't. Stats say if you want a pay increase, get a new job. Looks like your position is for someone else to take for a pay bump - and there's another position for you to take elsewhere, too. They know you're worth the money - but you're accepting less. Why offer you more? And do you really want to have to go and fight for a raise? Edit: Tbh, even if they accept the pay increase, I'd look for a better job. No one wants to have to fight for food on the table every couple of years.

21 days ago

Edit

Inkheart102

Thank you for your reply. I’m really struggling with what to do because I’ve been actively job searching even before I found this info out. I don’t plan on staying, but I don’t know how long it will take to find a new job. If I have a chance at making more, than why not? I agree that working for a company where I have to fight to be paid fairly is off putting.

21 days ago

Edit

Batteman87

I suspect having your teacher cert would get you to the top of that. Some school districts are on a timeline on when people get a raise. You certainly can ask about your salary. It ask “ do you know how often we get a cost of living increase? Seems like I’ve been at my rate for a while now.” Could also ask, “do you happen to know what or when my position salary tops out?” Don’t be scared to ask. Worst case they say you’re topped out. If you have a good work ethic and good relationships, you might get a raise. Won’t hurt to try. Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

21 days ago

Edit

Heero1988

Apply for it and if they ask why just mention that you’d appreciate the financial promotion 😂

21 days ago

Edit

anonymoushouse346731

Don’t you get it, they are advertising 29,000 to 33,000. 33,000 is a fantasy number. And yes, they are gonna pay the new hire the same so you. Because it doesn’t matter how many years you have been there, it’s the same job, with the same title, so it’s the same pay.

20 days ago

Edit

Jack0fDiamonds

I would get that certificate if you can, it will always be used against you if you don't.

20 days ago

Edit

throwaymoneyQ

I’m not really sure why so many people are saying not to bring up the job ad that has the salary included in it? Not like it’s a secret. I would say, “ I know we’re hiring some new people and I saw that the job ad for the position includes a salary range of XX. That indicates that I am on the low end of the range for this position, even though I’ve been here for five years and I am bilingual. I have done XYZ accomplishment and would like to discuss increasing my salary toward the top of the range considering the experience I have.”

20 days ago

Edit

Seekingaloha

First off. Don’t stay in a job five years. Aim to switch every two. Don’t bring it up. Find another job. Loyalty matters to no one. They want to see you moving around getting a variety of experience and positions.

20 days ago

Edit

CurryAddicted

I'd apply for the position but I'm cheeky like that.

20 days ago

Edit

stjhnstv

When I submitted my resignation a year or so ago, the company made a sincere effort to retain me, and I in fact did end up staying on. However, they did post my job as a precaution, and the range posted put my salary at the time near the low end. I brought this to their attention and it became a negotiating point. I ended up with a $10k increase, which put me at the top of the posted range, with a new title and responsibilities that I was seeking. So my advice, just be candid with them. You don’t have to tell them how you found the posting, just “this was brought to my attention and I’d like to talk to you about it” kind of thing. I think the reasons you’ve given in this thread are all perfectly good talking points.

20 days ago

Edit

ifonlyyouknewwhati

BATNA - Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement If you found another position offering you more, you could say you really like the job and could they match your other offer.

20 days ago

Edit

KyleCAV

If they are offering about what you make and a little more, what makes you think they are going to offer any more to the new guy than they pay you. I have applied for positions where the positions says $18-21 and get offered $17. These numbers are just to sucker people in.

20 days ago

Jobs For You