Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.

7 months ago

|

Okay so my job sucks too, but of the two my manager is probably 3x worse than the job itself. I'm not sure what to do, as I don't get any support whatsoever. I try and resolve issues myself, but sometimes I felt the need to get my manager involved. However, each time these issues get shrugged off. The thing that annoys me the most is during group meetings my manager will say something like "if you have an issue, please reach out to me so I can help". Then proceeds to do nothing about it when brought up. I'm under the impression he says this in front of the group, just for the sake of it. I don't know what to do, as any issue I have that I can't handle on my own, I know I can't rely on my boss to provide any sort of shpport. The obvious answer is find another job, but that's easier said than done. I am losing motivation fast and have wanted to quit every day for the past 2 months (I literally have my resignation letter ready and an email drafted, I only need to sign and date my resignation letter).

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

optigon

I've had bosses like that, and I always recommend that at the first inkling that you start feeling like you want to leave, you should start applying. The job hunt is emotionally taxing and can take a long time. It's better to start early and leave relatively emotionally functional instead of putting it off until you're a husk of a person, desperate to leave and willing to take anything just to get away. This could be multiple things that aren't your fault. It could be that your manager is hamstrung and doesn't have the power to do anything, or doesn't have the bandwidth. All the same, you're the victim of their unwillingness to prioritize you. When they do that, they make the problem yours, and as long as it's your problem, they're not going to care. When you quit, it becomes their problem. So, as a bald, famous guy once said, "Make it so!" Go out, apply to places, and use this experience to drive questions for your new employer about their management philosophy and process. It will keep you from possibly jumping from the frying pan into the fire and also will make you look more engaged and curious about the job, which has typically netted me better results. Good luck dealing with this and hopefully finding a new adventure!

7 months ago

Edit

PutSimply1

Very true! Bad bosses think - " they leave because they can't handle it" When actually, they leave because they won't tolerate it

7 months ago

Edit

tes_chaussettes

I have my resignation letter all ready to go too, even a printed copy in my desk drawer ready to wet sign and date if necessary. LOL. I have a similar situation to yours at my job, and I finally got to a point where I have enough saved up that I can take a risk and resign if I have to without having something new lined up. Yeah I know I should have something first... but it's my life and I can take the risks I want (no kids or family who need my financial support). I went to my boss and said it's time for me to find another position at the company, or time for me to give my notice. I've already explored every option imaginable for letting senior management know my situation, talking to all department leads, cultivating relationships, talking directly to the problem supervisor who I work under currently... no one is helping me. I come up with solutions and new processes to alleviate the problems, and my boss/senior leadership tells me to hold on any changes b/c they are making other changes. Well, I've been "on hold" for more than a year now, and I can't take it anymore. Luckily it seems like this situation might actually play out the way I want it to - my boss and leadership is working on a new position for me that would involve work I would really enjoy (and would provide kickass services to my employer whilst engaged in). It' s not set in stone yet, so anything could happen - but if it works out, I will get to stay employed, do work I enjoy that will grow my career, and move away completely from the toxic supervisor and broken processes of my current position. Maybe you can attempt to negotiate something similar at your job? Can you demonstrate some other areas at your company where you could add big value with your skill sets, so it would be beneficial to the company to keep you on board but change your role?

7 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

It's frustrating when you suggest something only to get told "we'll look into it" or altogether shot down. I have done so - suggesting approaches - and every time it is disregarded (mainly because it would create more work for them, to look into it, even if it benefited everybody involved). Also this is a role that I transitioned into last year. My precious boss was fine, but there was a lack of work and the department ultimately was dissolved due to covid. So I kind of went in the opposite direction as you, since I was originally working in a new department that was more specialized and wanted to innovate, only for me to move to a more generic role where they had had the same practices/management for the past 20 years. If I do decide to quit though, at least I don't have any debt, no kids, not married, etc.

7 months ago

Edit

Zangorth

I love my job and my boss, but I'm being underpaid by 20-30k, even according to my boss, so you sure bet 100% I'm looking for a new job and will leave when I find one.

7 months ago

Edit

sjmiv

same situation. Over the past 4 years I've had 2 great bosses, been a top performer, literally drove millions to our top line and other people get rewarded while I'm driving a lot of this revenue. My old boss even said "you deserve more" but it never results in appropriate financial compensation. I work on getting a new job every day.

7 months ago

Edit

TheIntercepticons

100%. Would rather work at the lower pay scale with a better job-life than the higher pay and be fucking miserable everyday I wake up.

7 months ago

Edit

PepeLePunk

Quit.

7 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

Soon

7 months ago

Edit

Castrum4life

I had a manager say the same line that, "my door is always open." That's the bs line just to keep up pretences. I remember he hired me on to manage a particular project which had languished a bit under former employees... I found out why quick. He told me a month or so in, "you're not here to think but to do as I say." The world, especially engineering in Canada, is full of the worst managers.

7 months ago

Edit

getyourlifeplease

I'm gonna ask a couple questions: these issues you bring to the manager that you say you try to resolve yourself - are they performance based or interpersonal? Do you ask the same questions more than once? Can you provide an example of the "issues" you feel management ignores? I think THAT will help us all understand your situation and offer specific feedback

7 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

Most the issues are regarding people either doing things inefficiently and/or not doing their due diligence. In both regards, it creates more work for me as I then have to go back and revise my work (as my work is entirely dependent on the information relayed to me). One example that keeps happening over and over again, is my co-workers will relay the information I need, I incorporate this information, then later on (several hours later, the next day, etc.) I'll get an email saying "actually what I sent you isn't correct, here's what it should be this instead". And this can continue sometimes in excess of two or three instances per case. And that's the thing, my co-workers treat this like it's an iterative process, since they can never make up their mind. I try and let it go, but it's been getting out of hand recently and it's getting ridiculous. Problem is like I said, my manager doesn't care.

7 months ago

Edit

MET1

Oh, group meetings. Fancy. (Some of us don't even have that).

7 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

The project is so far behind we have to have group meetings with 20+ people from various departments, every other day, to get status updates.

7 months ago

Edit

MK8390

I left a bad company and a bad boss but genuinely liked what I did.

7 months ago

Edit

PearlieSweetcake

I feel you. I quit my last full time job because of an aggressive boss and trainer who'd bulldoze over anyone that didn't like what they were doing. The boss said first day when she took over for my previous supervisor that if we didn't like how she manages then we can get out, so I got out after 4 months. My current job, the boss is less aggressive, but he's toothless because he's constantly scared of HIS supervisor. My boss's boss has literally told me he "harasses" my boss over small grammatical errors in his emails and I know from attending meetings that this guy just has a hard on for feeling like the smartest person in the room. He demands perfection while being quite a shoddy communicator who no one wants to work directly under. So I don't even want to apply for a higher position in my organization because that would mean working closer with that guy, but the organization itself isn't bad.

7 months ago

Edit

kaifkapi

Yeah...I have loved pretty much every job I've had, but the management and/or atmosphere of the jobsite are always why I leave. I wish there was some type of job where you just got assignments and completed them and didn't have to deal with management (or even coworkers frankly, I'm one of those cave people who doesn't like other people).

7 months ago

Edit

fanggner

Been there, quited that. The thing with bad bosses is they will probably stay the same as they were with or without you trying to talk to them. I had this type of boss who was telling me "Hey, please let us know if we can help somehow" but then doing passive agressive shit every time I had some problem. Not to mention I was underpaid. My advice: Try to find some other job and then quit. I mean, I get this "give honest feedback" thing in order to make things better, but hey, giving the honest feedback to my boss has never given me the good results. Especially not if you have the boss who can't do this crazy elementary things such is being there for his/her employees and giving them a good training for the position they are having. You don't need to tell them how they could be better leaders, just try to get some job where you will have this possibility and let them stay alone forever. And last, but not least, if your boss isn't aware of problems that their employees are dealing with - he/she is bad in doing his/her job; and if your boss is aware of problems that their employees are dealing with but doing literally nothing to help them - he/she is worst in his/her job.

7 months ago

Edit

citykid2640

Couple of thoughts, as a people manager myself: 1) try and solve issues yourself first 2) when you bring up issues, come with solutions. Things you literally just need a verbal sign-off for 3)find a mentor, a peer, someone you can vent to and learn from outside if your team 4) brush up your resume

7 months ago

Edit

kincaidDev

I just put in my notice at my current job for that reason. Job sucked, but my boss made it worse. He only interacted with me 10 times the entire time I've been at the job, and 8 of those times he "called me out" in our team chat for something he thought I did wrong. Most of the time the things he was upset about were out of my control. For instance, I had to have projects reviewed before I could move them along the process and the people that needed to review them hadn't gotten around to it yet, or someone asked me a question about a system I had never worked on before and were upset that it took me a few hours to answer their question while I searched for an answer. He also misrepresented the job in the interview. I was hired as an engineer to supposedly work on a specific project, but turned out that project was years away from starting and the job really just consisted of learning how to configure the companies software and provide tech support to users. I'm not sure if he intentionally lied or is just completely unaware of what the nature of the work the team he hired me for is. After hiring me for one set of skills and assigning me to a team that doesn't use those skills, I was under-performing at the given duties, mainly because I hate that type of work. Instead of coming to me, he went to HR who notified me that he was not happy with my performance and told me to step it up or I'll be let go in a month. No details were given and he hasn't said a word to me since.

7 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

Hmm, I'm seeing a trend here with engineering jobs. So it's not just my company! Like you, I've only talked to my boss one-on-one a limited number of times, maybe half a dozen times over the past year. Of that, only one time consisted of me bringing up an issue to him (and the other times were about something else). All my other interactions with him have been during some sort of group meeting, and generally he has something critical to say. When we have small meetings between the relevant people, I'll bring up issues every once in awhile, but he'll discount the issue and act like it's not a big deal (sometimes these issues are more severe than other times, but it's always the same sort of IDGAF reaponse).

7 months ago

Edit

mylo4osu

Literally just came back to a place I quit during the first few months of covid bec there’s new management

7 months ago

Edit

Level_Lavishness2613

Me I love the job and the agency but Jesus Christ i hate the higher ups

7 months ago

Edit

MI-Native

I think most of the time it's a bad boss. However, we just hired a junior level employee who started two days ago. She's a no call, no show today, and it's hard for me not to assume she quit at this point. Why? Because I've thought about quitting a million times myself. The environment here is as chill as it comes. But the work is mundane, the pay is crap, and there is too much processing work on anyone's plate to do anything outside of the box. And they want you to have an accounting degree to do this. I don't blame her for quitting; this job is awful. Especially given that they want a STEM degree for a job that pays $40k and requires you to do a whole lot of mouse clicking and other BS. I want to quit, too, and plan on it once I have time to look for a new job.

7 months ago

Edit

AbsoluteMercenary

Yeah, I agree with you. My former manager more or less bullied people into quitting. Didn't help that I found out that the turnover rate was 6-9 months. The damn job was a meatgrinder, but I didn't mind it too much... only my manager.

7 months ago

Edit

Schreibaby

Had a manager who did just that. Tried cleaning house (presumably) of some of the cashiers who held second jobs or had some kind of limited availability. Thought that putting them on written warnings for the most inane things (like breaking “hidden rules” or vague “unprofessionalism“) would sway them into them quitting on their own. Well, it backfired. Horribly. AND in the middle of tourist season. Department leads found out what he was doing and resigned on him too. District manager found out what he did (and the high turnover that happened) and fired him roughly two weeks after I resigned.

7 months ago

Edit

slarsson

That sounds like a frustrating and draining predicament to be in. Just bide your time and ramp up your job search. That said, people definitely leave bad jobs. I just did. Without a new job 100% lined up. My boss was pretty cool, too. Extremely risky, especially during a pandemic. But I'm very grateful everything worked out. Wouldn't ever recommend it though. So try to line something up ASAP before resigning.

7 months ago

Edit

salesmunn

That's one scenario, there are hundreds more.. My boss was cool, job was ok, pay was unacceptable. I had to leave.

7 months ago

Edit

doggoluv3r

100% agree with you. I've been unlucky and have had some HORRIBLE managers. They were the sole reason why I left.

7 months ago

Edit

Bindassbandit

Well this is absolutely true! I didn't hesitate for another second to resign from my very first full time job as soon as I had a thought of leaving the company because of all the mental torture. And today I am with a company which pays me comparatively less but towards the end of the day I come back home all satisfied with the work i do and am able to focus on my family as well.

7 months ago

Edit

Morticia_Black

I'm in the same boat. My manager has 'health problems' that conveniently come up every time it gets busy and my managers manager is a narcissistic business shark. We're already down one person as my other colleague is on maternity leave and when my boss is sick, we have to do 4 people's work with 2 employees. We also get no help and get flat out denied any when we ask. It's the worst, so I feel your situation. My view is, it doesn't get better. Put in the absolute minimum and focus the rest of your time to find a different job.

7 months ago

Edit

lovelychef87

I loved my last manger she was fantastic. And the guy I have now he's a cool dude. My company sucks. But the coworkers are fun.

7 months ago

Edit

Shymink

There are three things about a job: 1. The people, 2. The work, 3. The pay. The people is the most important and you’ll be miserable if you’ve only got 1 out of 3.

7 months ago

Edit

Ilikecats3220

I agree with this statement! My waitressing job was so fun. I loved the people I met daily working there. Even made some friends! My boss was the reason I quit and I haven’t looked back

7 months ago

Edit

nowhereian

> "if you have an issue, please reach out to me so I can help". Then proceeds to do nothing about it when brought up. There's a manager like this at the company I work for, and there's a pretty good solution his subordinates came up with. Always bring up your issues *publicly.* If you bring up issues in an email, *CC your coworkers* and make it look like everyone wants to know the answer to your question. If that doesn't work, CC his boss too. If you bring up issues privately, it's easy for them to wiggle out of there and ignore you.

7 months ago

Edit

Gaibishboi

Have you considered having a meeting with them to address the issue of their own behavior? This can be daunting and might not have the desired effect so tread lightly. But I've done this with bosses I knew could handle it. That said, you can't change people. The boss I'm currently working for accepted my feedback but at the end of the day, we just don't work well with each other. Im about to start a new position because I just don't want to keep working for them anymore.

7 months ago

Edit

Band1c0t

Yea lot of manager keep saying that, if you have issues, come to me. And then once you bring up the issue, instead of trying to solve, he's working against you and accusing you for something he has no knowledge about, what a retard they are,,

7 months ago

Edit

WTFGUY5000

Professional organizations and their leaders/managers have known this issue for years and years, but it will not change. So the best thing we can do is getting promoted to have more influence in the organization or brushing up/upgrading our resume to GTFO.

7 months ago

Edit

curlyloca

I enjoy my people leader. I believe in the company. However I need to leave to learn a new function / career since my current employer can’t make it happen. So I’m open into finding something else

7 months ago

Edit

muffinTrees

Yeah if I had a bad manager, I would have left my job long ago.

7 months ago

Edit

son_of_tv_c

I swear a company can have a great product and a great vision, but people's ego get in the way of everything. It's an old story played out time and time again. Human are dumb, idk. I need a nap.

7 months ago

Edit

beaudebonair

My boss was cool, it was the company US Bank. I was supposed to only do customer service at the call center, which I was top 10 performer excellent. So they cut costs and removed our Sales Dept, all of them gone, so customer service also is sales. So the pressure to please my customers needs on the phone and try and slang them a credit card after saying they are overdrawn can be tricky. But I ended up leaving because sales was originally not what I signed up for when I interviewed so I felt like it was too stressful.

7 months ago

Edit

Jaway66

Eh, I'm currently working for a boss who I like, but I hate the company and it makes me miserable. Also, a job with a bad boss is a bad job, so I don't understand the difference.

7 months ago

Edit

KonyHawksProSlaver

unless the bad boss is Jobs

7 months ago

Edit

Noshotskill

Although this saying is partially true, its not always true. I've left good bosses for more money several times. It doesn't matter how good a boss/job is when someone's willing to pay you 50% more to do a similar job.

7 months ago

Edit

Dmartinez8491

My boss is pretty damn cool. Job isn't all that and I can get paid more elsewhere. I will leave my job due to the job not the boss.

7 months ago

Edit

manualdidact

I'm in my mid-forties; I'm well into my third career and have had a large number and wide variety of jobs. I've certainly left terrible bosses -- in one case that boss was the owner of a small company and was literally bouncing paychecks. I've left unethical backstabbers and incompetent authoritarians. But in most cases when I've left bad situations, I've left very good direct supervisors who I recognized were limited in their own power to substantially improve things. Bad technology decisions made at higher levels trapped me at one job writing software for a platform no one has ever heard of, watching as my work experience grew less relevant and my raises, capped by company policy, weren't keeping up with inflation. In another job, my manager literally pushed me out of the nest. He saw that I was talented but naive; he told me he couldn't pay me what I was worth and that I should try to find another job. I did and it changed my life. I get the sentiment in this post; I've experienced it. But my experience also has shown me, the generalization simply isn't true.

7 months ago

Edit

Martamis

Yeah you obviously work inside

7 months ago

Edit

tammydx

WORD

7 months ago

Edit

4x4play

i had the same boss scenario. every suggestion was "great!!" and "we will figure out how to keep you happy" . still the same or worse years later as you take on more responsibility and nothing has changed. i went literally across the road for some excellent bosses and a raise. just have to go try op.

7 months ago

Edit

TacosAreJustice

I’ve worked for three toxic bosses and I’m basically done with corporate America... I’ve never found a way to fix the situation, as the people who put them into those positions aren’t going to recognize their mistakes... I’ve worked for one amazing manager... he keeps getting promoted (rooting for you joe!) but he was replaced with my worst manager... He had a similar “I’m here to help” mentality, and then would tell me to not bring him problems, but bring him solutions. Motherfucker, if I had a solution, we wouldn’t be talking. I’m sorry, I hate being negative like this... I wish I had some trick or tip to help you... I’d suggest finding a new job... it might not be better, but at least it’s different!

7 months ago

Edit

tanhauser_gates_

The job I am leaving right now started off with the worst boss. I would lose my bowels anytime he directed an email to me. He was replaced with another director who considers me irreplaceable. I haven't given notice yet, I need to pass the background check first, but I feel genuinely bad for my boss trying to hold the project together when I am gone.

7 months ago

Edit

danubian-prince

I can relate to this. My manager is completely not cut out for her role. She never stops reminding her team how hard she works for the company (which she does), but I feel that her incessant venting about her job and personal life to all of us is highly inappropriate. Like her neurotic demeanor in part contributes to my general anxiety of being at work, plus she plays favorites/gives special treatment to certain employees and demands perfection from me and others. If finding work weren't so hard because of COVID, I would've quit a month ago.

7 months ago

Edit

Mindless-Traffic-491

Join the club! Don't you love it when manager says don't hesitate to reach out, then does nothing. There has been no support for months. I knew on day 2 this was not place. Job searching now and trying to get out. These environments makes you question yourself its not good. Are you on the hunt? If not you need to get going its not going to get any better. Everyday is a struggle in this environment.

7 months ago

Edit

ilya47

A shitty job with a great boss can still have the same effect.

7 months ago

Edit

stoic_David

Do not quit without finding another job bad idea. Everyone will tell you that. Stick through it no matter how difficult while you look for another job.

7 months ago

Edit

MI-Native

I think it depends on the personal situation. People quit all the time without jobs lined up and are perfectly okay. If you can do it, then all the power to you. I forced a toxic employer's hand once by telling them I was thinking about quitting. They gave me severance and unemployment two weeks later. I paid off student loans and bought a car outright in cash, and had a job within two months.

7 months ago

Jobs For You