Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Pinch me, I just got a job offer😭😭

7 months ago

|

I was just offered my dream job at my dream company a day before my birthday (yeah I can hardly believe it either). After seeing several people post about their job offers, I thought I would never get one. I was so worried about the interview I had with this company after stumbling over a certain question. I'm so happy that they were really impressed with the interview, but I'm a little torn now. I recently went through a three round interview with a company. Their HR contacted me last week to tell me I received a lot of positive feedback and they would let me know their decision by next week. She asked me to keep her in the loop about any interviews or job offers that I may receive. I didn't even think twice about the second company when I was offered this position. Now I'm wondering how to approach this without burning any bridges. Also, I would like to say this subreddit has been very helpful throughout my job hunt, and more so than any social media job guru. I've really enjoyed watching the supportive community in this subreddit especially as so many people have lost their jobs due to the pandemic. I know the job hunt is stressful and it seems like you'll never get that one offer, but you will don't give up. Stay strong and know that you're not alone.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Western-Ordinary

If this is your dream job with your dream company, then the other offer that may or may not come doesn't matter, right? If they get in touch, you just say, sorry, I was offered another position that I'm excited about and I've accepted their offer, but I really appreciate your time. You don't owe the other company anything. I've seen situations where people hold off on accepting an offer, waiting for another one that never comes, and when the first one slips away, they're out of luck. I say it's always best to take the first offer and if others come in later, it's okay to change your mind and back out. I work in HR, it happens more than people think. Congratulations!!!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you for the advice!!

7 months ago

Edit

skinnyCat101

Congratulations! Would you like to share some experience about your job hunt process? How many firms have you applied to and how many interviews did you get? What are your advice about landing interviews and job offers? I would really appreciate your insights!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Hi thank you. I actually kept a journal of all the jobs I applied to (position, company, date) and I would use different color highlighters to mark responses for each one. I applied to over a hundred companies, went through 5 interviews and received 2 job offers; however, the first job offer was contingent on the company securing a government contract which they didn't win, so that fell through. I spent my entire 2020 just building my skillset and knowledge through LinkedIn Learning, Coursera and following some influencers in my field. As well, I constantly reviewed and revised my resume. Since I was transitioning into a new career I made sure to use the lingo for that field to describe my transferrable skills, and my previous work. I networked with people in my field on LinkedIn and asked them if they wouldn't mind reviewing my resume. I led up to asking them by highlighting/praising something from their LinkedIn. They were all more than happy to review my resume, and they gave me alot of great advice. The one company I'm still waiting to hear back from (after 3 interviews) I initially connected with one of the employees in the department on LinkedIn. After connecting with them, I visited their recruiters LinkedIn before applying to the open position. This helped connect my resume with my LinkedIn. My biggest advice is to never stop moving forward and look for future trends in your field and learn them. For my field it was xAPI so I studied hard to learn how to write and use xAPI and was able to discuss this during the interview where I received my job offer. I hope my insights helped and please feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

7 months ago

Edit

revolution_4ever

I agree with most comments but have some thoughts. Take them or leave them, I'm not an expert just someone with an opinion. Honesty is the best policy. Think about company #2 & other people, just like you, who have been applying but aren't getting any progress. Tell company #2 that you have an offer with a really great company that you are excited about. They may offer you more & speed up the process or if they can't, they can move on to other applicants who aren't getting a shot because of you. They would probably appreciate the candor & it may come in handy down the road. It's not perfect but not much is ever perfect. I'm sure you can shoot holes in it, like what if they do move on & company #1 falls through? Yeah, that would suck but again, think about the company & other people.

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Absolutely, and that was something I was thinking about as well. My decline will be an opportunity for another, and we're all feeling the pain of the job hunt during the pandemic.

7 months ago

Edit

babykoala94

Congrats! Your advice is so helpful! I'm starting a spreadsheet of all the positions I've applied to.

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

You're welcome. I think doing this will also help you stay accountable about your job search. Best of luck friend!

7 months ago

Edit

jake_t87

Congrats on the offer of your dream job! In regards to the other company, if they get in touch with you, just tell them you’re thankful for their time, but you got an offer from another company and this opportunity is better suited for me! I would wish them luck in their search, and thank them for their time. Depending on your comfort, if they ask you who the company is you can tell them, but I’d be cautious. Couple questions I would ask myself in my decision making process if I were you would be; what’s both companies offering in pay/benefits? Weigh both roles in terms of what you’d be doing and where it might lead you in 2/5 years career wise; what type of company culture do both these companies have, and how do they align with what your looking? Also, you have no obligation to either company, even if you’ve done all the paperwork! Take some time to weigh your options, and be respectful to the one you turn down. Good luck 💪

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

sondeburris

Yeahhhh! Don’t stress it! Enjoy this awesome moment. I’ve never been happier for a stranger. Congrats and Happy Belated Birthday!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you 🥳

7 months ago

Edit

adelinecotton07

If you are offered a job, just go for the job that really matters to you.

7 months ago

Edit

Potential-Flounder-1

Well done! :D

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

VotedOutHaMom

I feel your sense of relief and happiness! Congrats! I can’t wait to feel that way too, it’s coming soon I am sure.

7 months ago

Edit

RoflCopterDocter

Congratulations on the dream job! Also congrats on the NEGOTIATION CHIP that landed in your lap, you just got a higher salary if you play your cards right!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thanks I will definitely keep this in mind!

7 months ago

Edit

evilphrin1

Nice!

7 months ago

Edit

LadyCLocus

🎊🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

7 months ago

Edit

waitomoworm

Nice. So what's the job?

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

An Instructional Designer.

7 months ago

Edit

kattatouille

CONGRATS!!! i’m so happy for you!!!! and happy birthday!!! definitely just call the other company and let them know how much you appreciated their time and hope they’ll consider you in the future if anything happens. most ppl are understanding

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

I will and thank you for the birthday wishes as well!

7 months ago

Edit

xanthopants

Congrats...I would be lying if I didn’t have a pant of jealousy reading that...but I’m happy this stuff is still possible and if it can happen to you then there’s still hope.

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you. I know what you mean no worries. The job hunting process is really frustrating during this process, but don't give up and keep pressing forward; I'm sure the right offer will come to you soon!

7 months ago

Edit

RobertoCentAm

Congrats! Embrace it!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you I certainly will!

7 months ago

Edit

Leading_Culture4799

Congrats!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

K1nderPrinc3ss

Hahahah congratulations, how exciting!! I did that too, I sent a screenshot of the "offer of employment" subjectline in the offer email to maybe 4 different people being like, 'please tell me you see this too!!'

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Haha yes. I was thinking are you sure you called the right number 🤣 really looking forward to the future now. 😁

7 months ago

Edit

ev202020

Congrats!! Such an amazing feeling!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you it really is to see the effort I put in finally payoff.

7 months ago

Edit

FoxyFreckles1989

You absolutely don’t owe the other company “updates” on other offers you receive. If they plan to make you an offer, they’ll do it, and you’ll be able to politely decline, telling them you appreciate the opportunity but have been made another offer and decided to accept it. You won’t be burning a bridge. Congratulations!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

So true, and thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

hotmayool

Huge congrats man!!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

Global_Kako

Congratulations OP!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

zabadabadooo

Good on you... hard to have both things in one package :) ..... specially on this hard times. go on booooooi.

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Absolutely and thank you :)

7 months ago

Edit

offset92

Congrats

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!

7 months ago

Edit

Omar_eCommerce

eCommerce Accelerator ™ by Boniface Ogunti eCommerce Accelerator ™ Bundle Hello everyone! I’m a CertifiedCourseProvider™ for Current9 and I’m helping anyone interested in online business. My courses have helped 1000’s of people change their lives and income drastically. If you want to know more about this MAJOR opportunity & what courses can help you. I’m offering FREE consultations for the next 24hrs-72hrs so click the link on my instagram because spots are filling up quickly! https://instagram.com/omar.ecommerce?igshid=hiy7tkve3dxm Here’s our Client Testimonials - https://go.current9.com/testimonials-page)

7 months ago

Edit

Puzzleheaded-Can6858

Man congratulations, I just looked at this post and your others posts and we’ve been in the exact same boat for the past while, I had to check your profile to make sure we weren’t going for the same job 😂 . I just did my 3rd interview a week ago today for my dream job which was an hour long presentation, me and 3 others left at this stage. They told me they’d contact me end of last week or the start of this week and I haven’t heard from them.. but they rang my reference the morning after my presentation? Should I send them an email at this stage and ask for an update or just leave it and wait for them to contact me? Had a really good feeling about the whole thing and the presentation went really well but now I don’t know what to think

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Haha Who knows we probably are. The world can be smaller than we think it is. 😂 I understand your anxiousness for an answer, but I would maybe wait a day or two more and send them a friendly reminder that doesn't sound demanding. If they pinged your reference then I'm sure they will contact you soon. They probably are doing the same for other candidates which might take sometime. Hold on a little longer and good luck! I feel we're all sisters and brothers in arms going through this pandemic job hunt. Now I understand the feeling of those who were going through the job hunting process in 2008. 🥴🥴

7 months ago

Edit

phoenixchimera

Congrats and happy birthday!!!

7 months ago

Edit

sailorblckjck

Thank you!!!

7 months ago

Jobs For You