Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Putting in notice at job after 16 years today for a mix of reasons

8 months ago

|

I started at a small law firm as a paralegal out of undergrad. I didnt expect to stay long but I ended up liking it and going to law school at night. I didnt expect to stay after law school but I did. The job has been great to me in many ways and offered me lots of good opportunities. Ive been wanting to be at a firm with a little broader work opportunity. I also saw the salary list for our firm (accidentally) a few months ago and realized how unfairly they were paying everyone versus their revenue! One lady they are paying six figures to work part time and her revenue just covers her salary, but probably not her costs. Another guy they are paying about the same for full time work but he doesnt bring in any more either - theyre losing money on those two. They were paying me less and i brought in three times my revenue. They are paying ancouple younger associates that bill a ton of hours, practicaly nothing. Then they made someone who brings in same $$ and work as me partner in summer. Then they brought in another guy from elsewhere with less experience and said that theyll make him partner soon too. It’s time to go. So i went to one of the three firms that had been asking about me in the past year. I gave them all my numbers for three years - money i bring in, clients i get myself...they gave me a 20% base raise and made me a partner. I am telling them today that I am leaving. I feel sick to my stomach! O have no doubts and no guilt but it’s still a big change. Wish me luck! UPDATE: i got to work and the boss ive worked w all these years was working from home. ive always felt like he was on my side and the other partners who have been here much less time than i have and practice a diff type of law, have always been the ones to screw me and i can tell have been at odds w my boss over it. so i told my boss and he was sad but asked where. i told him and he said it is a really good firm. then he asked associate or partner and i said partner and he said good for u, u deserve it. i thanked him for all hes done for me and he said he will tell the other partners. he asked when i was thinking of leaving and i said end of march and he said thats a good timeline. he again told me hed hate to lose me but is happy for my success. im glad to get that over. thank you everyone for sending me messages. its crazy sometimes how a bunch of internet strangers can help with hard things in life

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

B52Bombsell

16 years, you stayed loyal after law school and they still havent made you a partner? Yep, time to go. Knock a vase over on the way out! Lol. I hope your new gig is rewarding. It sounds very promising. I hope you take a little break in between to reflect on your accomplishments. Even a little weekend trip just to decompress and relax will do wonders.

8 months ago

Edit

thank you! Yea i am going to try to put maybe a week gap in there if i can

8 months ago

Edit

GlamourCatNYC

You learned a great deal and made lasting connections. This is an experience you will treasure. <- resignation letter language. It’s true. What else is true is that you’re at the start of your career and you deserve to be making $

8 months ago

Edit

thank you! i think so too. itll be a big change but it needs to happen.

8 months ago

Edit

PotatoKingMom

Good luck! I guarantee your current company knows they are underpaying you, so when you tell them, they very well might extend a counteroffer. I know in the industry I work, it's a well known fact that in order to ever really make a big jump pay-wise, you have to switch companies. And only then does the current employer offer to up your pay and/or you come back shortly at a substantially higher grade.

8 months ago

Edit

thanks! i have already decided ill go even if they give me a great counteroffer. After how unfairly i saw they were paying me and a few others, i knew i couldnt stay. i dont trust them. and they also tried to explain to me why the guy got partner and i havent yet and they said “its about economics” and then gave me some calculation. but i know how much the guy gets paid and his revenues (they dont know that) and so based on what they were saying i should have been made partner definitely and him only maybe. so they lied to my face about that. so i am at the point where i need to go because i dont want to be in business with them anymore!

8 months ago

Edit

bitetheboxer

Remember, if you loved them and they loved you, no bridges are burned, you can go back. This isn't me telling you to rescind your notice, just a reminder that that door is ajar, not closed. :)

8 months ago

Edit

FoxyFreckles1989

You gave them an unbelievable amount of loyalty. They taught you a lot, undoubtedly, in your earlier years and were a place to get your foot in the door, for which you sound grateful. Now, it’s *definitely* time to go, because you deserve so much more. Go get it!

8 months ago

Edit

connecticut06611

“Putting in notice at job after 16 years” is quite literally all the reason you would EVER need to justify this. If you worked there 16 hours, 16 weeks, or 16 months and didn’t like it at some point you have every right to go. 16 years is a long time to stay. Next job and time around put yourself and your career / personal needs first always. Congratulations on this big change it was the right thing to do!

8 months ago

Edit

Bubba100000

Slippin' Jimmy was all they could see. Show em' Saul! /s congrats man!

8 months ago

Edit

muratkyrgyz

Nice post to read early in the morning, congrats! I've been at similar workplace processing payroll to the staff and witnessing how some people are abused $$$ wise. But to be honest I hold them accountable too. Everyone needs to know and learn how to negotiate and know their values. Congrats!!! Well deserved!!

8 months ago

Edit

thank you!

8 months ago

Edit

angelliu

Good luck! You deserve to be paid fairly & be in a place where you can see yourself moving forward. I know it’ll feel like you’re leaving a second home, but it isn’t home if they’re not giving you your fair due.

8 months ago

Edit

UsirEx

Congrats man. Hope your new place treats u better

8 months ago

Edit

jake_t87

Wow your loyalty is HUGE! Great to move on from that type of situation though, this is what happens when companies don’t pay too employees top dollar for their work.

8 months ago

Edit

janier7563

Even though things happened the way they did, it doesn't sound like you burned bridges or created chaos in your current firm. Good for you for handling it the way you did.

8 months ago

Edit

no i did not! the partner that made me feel the most slighted and who i knew lied/misled about a few things, asked why im leaving and i just said its what i want - no hard feelings and nobody did anything wrong - its just what i want and my mind is made up. i mean even when theres a 0.1% chance i am weong on something im not gonna burn bridges. i have to just gracefully use my perspective as action not words

8 months ago

Edit

exccord

The pay difference between Paralegals is just crazy and a job field I dont envy. S.O. is one and probably earns $16/hr which is bullshit for a firm that scrapes in millions. It had slowly made me realize how "average" salary info online is a crock because the pay listed for Paralegals is nowhere near from what I have heard/seen others make except for the VERY FEW exceptions.

8 months ago

Edit

yeah! i started at $31,000 a year in 2005. since becoming an attorney ive been able to make much bigger strides in my salary. but there are people there bringing in a lot of billable money that are barely making a thing - attirneys and paralegals alike

8 months ago

Edit

Tall_Mickey

"Why did you leave?" "Sixteen years, pulled a ton of business, and all I ever got was "maybe we can make you a partner someday." I can't think of a single honest person who'd bring up the "L" word (loyalty) at that point. You gave them every chance.

8 months ago

Edit

the shady partner came into my office today and acted shocked i was leaving and said he didnt get why when he told me he’d make me partner “someday” so its a mistake for me to leave. even when he knows im going elsewhere to be a partner now, w more pay now, *he still didnt get why i wouldnt want to stay there to be a partner someday*. I almost felt like it doesnt occur to him at all that he is competing for me, and lost. Its like it still wasnt registering that there are other law firms in the world...

8 months ago

Edit

Tumeric98

Congrats on the move! It’s hard to leave after you’ve been there a while but that’s how you can make bigger jumps in salary. Who knows you might be able to come back years later at a higher level. Did you have to buy-in to be a partner?

8 months ago

Edit

GoofyNewf80

>One lady they are paying six figures to work part time and her revenue just covers her salary, but probably not her costs. Who on earth is paying six figures for part time? I'd love to make $100k a year.

8 months ago

Edit

i know! i dont know why the hell theyre doing that. it makes absolutely no sense.

8 months ago

Edit

ScrambyEggs33

Good luck!! I don’t know you, but I’m proud of you for moving forward with what’s best for you :)

8 months ago

Edit

Hardcore90skid

Congrats! a big move for sure! But I've never heard of a part time law or med school program,where did you go?

8 months ago

Edit

motherofserpentss

Congrats!!

8 months ago

Edit

carole0708

Congratulations! You did a lot for this firm and deserve this promotion!

8 months ago

Edit

GongtingLover

Congrats on making partner! Sounds like leaving was the best decision.

8 months ago

Edit

questionasky

Congrats. You’ll kill it.

8 months ago

Edit

legend717

I don't have a lot of respect for most lawyers. Once had to send my attorneys a blog post from Gerry Spence just so they would pay attention to me. They did after that.

8 months ago

Edit

campbellm

Godspeed; give us the after report too!

8 months ago

Jobs For You