Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

Red flag at new job

5 days ago

|

So about 4 months ago I changed jobs for a very nice payraise. Last week I was sick with a nasty stomach bug and missed thirds day and Friday if work. When I got back Monday I got the “we expect you to be here” speech and that you don’t want to get that reputation. So far I’ve been very happy, but I just needed to vent because it is one of my biggest pet peeves...you give me this time off, and I’m going to use it ESPECIALLY if I’m sick...and if you don’t want me to use it but it back at the end of the year or pay me more as I know it’s factored in my total compensation. Anyways, sorry for the rant but like I said it’s one of my triggers when companies give you time off then complain when you use it.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • JustforU

That sucks, and you're right to see it as a big red flag. Some of these red flags don't reveal themselves until a few months in (only once you do something you "shouldn't" do in their eyes). IMO at this point you have two options, you could have pushed back, "Should I still come in even when I have food poisoning? That would negatively affect my quality of work", or bite your tongue and wait and see if this is a reoccurring problem. If it comes up again, you can go back to option A, or start your job search over again. My sympathies. My previous company also had a pretty poor sick day culture (as is the problem with a lot of US companies, which is where I'm assuming you are).

5 days ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• retrigger_mania

Yeah, it is pretty typical unfortunately here. I frankly feel that if you get the time you can use it when you want. If I wake up morning and am not feeling work I can use my time. Basically stay out of my personal life.

5 days ago

Edit

• Simspidey

That sucks. Just curious, where are you located/what industry? I can't imagine a company badgering employees for taking time off when they're sick in the middle of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. You get one person with covid to come in and they bring down the entire building.

5 days ago

Edit

• retrigger_mania

Finance and I’m in eastern PA.

5 days ago

Edit

• MagikSkyDaddy

Punitive health policies are almost always a telling example of Management’s attitude toward workers. If the company doesn’t value the workers, it’s a logic puzzle as to why they’d ever think the workers value the company beyond a paycheck.

5 days ago

Edit

• HooDooVooDoo666

That’s crazy. Before I go into work I need to verify I don’t have any COVID-19 symptoms

5 days ago

Edit

• retrigger_mania

Same...and while I know this wasn’t COVID, if I’ve had any symptoms of it including nausea over the last 14 days I’m not supposed to come in...though I’ve been told to use common sense with that. We are going to start taking self administered tests soon and it is going to be a shit show with the number of false positives those produce.

5 days ago

Edit

• Mindless-Traffic-491

So wrong! People are human. I am so tired of corporate greed. They expect you to be a robot. Hell maybe if you were not over worked you would not of been out. Sounds like a miserable place. Sorry you had to deal.

5 days ago

Edit

• erich31

This is a major problem with US work culture and bullying people not to use their time off. Try doing this to employees in a country where 4-6 weeks off is standard and you’re in for a bad time.

5 days ago

Edit

• RevelationWorks

My cousin got sick with COVID19 and thankfully recovered. Of course that means that he was off for 14 days. When he returned he was fired because apparently he had too much unexcused absences. When he said he literally couldn't work due to not being able to breathe and the well know quarantine time they replied that "you work alone so no one could have gotten sick from you". He got sick at work from someone else that went to work with COVID19.

5 days ago

Edit

• Ok_Donkie

The same thing happened to me, I book a week of to take part in an event and help out, but my boss decided to book 2 big meetings and one important deadline in this week. Having to be at an event one day and need to work nights before a meeting or a deadline was not a nice way to spend the week. Bosses and companies don't care if your away or if you need the time off, they sometimes treat you like you owe them more then what you are actually there for.

5 days ago

Edit

• SpeedDemon020

>Last week I was sick with a nasty stomach bug and missed thirds day and Friday if work. Did you notify your managers/supervisors that you were sick? Like all of them? At my previous work, there was a SOP for who to notify if you were sick (basically your supervisor, manager, and head of department). It was dumb. Pretty sure the head never bothered to read those emails, but if one of the others noticed you didn't CC him, you'd get a talking to.

5 days ago

Edit

• retrigger_mania

I called my direct manager that morning.

5 days ago

Edit

• DickNose-TurdWaffle

Say something back next time. People tend to keep doing that since no one will bother to fight back for so long.

5 days ago

Edit

• Graylily

Yeah, that’s BS. Also, right now you’d think people would be a little more forgiving with sickness, time, etc... I find that you set the president and don’t give in. Encourage others to have a better life too.

5 days ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job