Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Scrolling through LinkedIn is Fucking depressing

8 months ago

|

People posting about the new companies they founded, people connecting with each other from Haaaarvard and MIT and ohh I'm doing this with my career and I'm so excited to be starting a new role here and this is an exciting opportunity.....when did work become this like life affirming thing. We do realize we're still making money for a boss and your still replaceable. So much fake enthusiasm out there....

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Brassmonkay3

If you think LinkedIn is depressing, try blind, it's just rich people bragging about how much money they have

7 months ago

Edit

imFreakinThe_fuk_out

Yeah I thought blind would be a great place to have candid conversation about the day to day realities of software engineering. Instead I got "aww fuck 250k starting 500krsu I'm so underpaid lol" Honestly hope these people get outsourced.

7 months ago

Edit

vergil_never_cry

Yep it's people circle-jerking each other and boy is it cringeworthy to read through all the humblebrag posts.

7 months ago

Edit

onlyamiga500

Ha, yeah. There's a great Twitter account that focuses on this: https://twitter.com/StateOfLinkedIn

7 months ago

Edit

DubzBreezy

I would not advise using LinkedIn for anything other than networking with people working at companies/in careers that you want to work at/in. The feed is usually quite circlejerky and cringy.

7 months ago

Edit

SubstantialBowler0

Lol LinkedIn is full of fake people bragging about how they helped their friends land a job or how they hired the best sales person with no experience lmao or how they’re productive every day and working harder than everyone in the world. I just look at those posts and laugh. Like bro, we’re not stupid lol. I can see through the lies and BS, and then you see more fake people co-signing. Don’t get me started on the fake stories lol. “I saw a poor stranger and gave him $500 now he’s making money and rich.” Bro, the clout and lies . Or, the ones writing about how they’re not getting post views or the obsessed wannabe influencers. SMDH Don’t even get me started on the “spill my whole life online” users. These ones will talk about their relationship problems, family issues and how they’re the best working mom and best working dad in the world. I just like the posts and keep pushing. The way people spill their business on there irks my soul.

7 months ago

Edit

I’m so sick of seeing people leaving a (seemingly) great job just to land another great role. I mean it’s obviously envy on my part because I can’t catch a fucking break but some of these people are useless (have worked with them) and they’re climbing the ladder while my life is completely put on hold. I can’t bear it.

7 months ago

Edit

NichRigga-

Yeah thats the worst. When its someone you know and have worked closely with in school/or work and know his/her capabilities compared to yours. Not a good mindset tho, just be happy for them and worry about your own life. Dont compare yourself to others.

7 months ago

Edit

frosteeze

I know how you might feel, but understand that these people are likely into debt up the wazoo. I used to work for a startup that was like that. Founded by UCLA graduates, they had funds according to basecrunch, all the works. Turns out after I signed that offer, the paychecks gets in late. Then, I got furloughed. Then, byebye all in a span of 1 year. I was at a loss since I vetted them and I thought they had a great product. Turns out the CIO was just a patent troll. My small team only had to make a prototype for them to pretend they had a product. The CEO was just there to suck money from the patent claims and investing in the office space. It was all a sham. Covid hit them pretty hard though so the office space investments plus the legal fees to defend their patent claims are drowning them in debt. Had to do a deep Google search on their supposed patent to find this out.

7 months ago

Edit

Mom2leopold

Damn. Really sorry you had to deal with all that.

7 months ago

Edit

weituip

This is why I don't use linkedin, it's like Facebook but for jobs 😬😬

7 months ago

Edit

dmfk_xD

Exactly! Whenever I open LinkedIn, there is always someone who is “thrilled to join xyz”!! I deactivated FB last year due to same reason. Seeking external validation, boosting egos, & bragging about everything to get dopamine hits has become the LinkedIn culture unfortunately!! LinkedIn has benefited me in networking with people, finding new jobs etc. But this whole “ hey see me! I completed this course, see I did this! I’m great” is pure cringe! I have realized that many people are doing it just to sound relevant( even though they genuinely don’t want to post). Also, I don’t know if this has happened to anyone, but what’s this discrimination between men and women!? Many of my male friends & I have experienced that many recruiters/ HRs only reply to girls! Sadly this is true. I told one of my female friends to contact the hiring manager on LinkedIn, he replied immediately. I have sent 3 messages to the same guy and not a single reply!! Anyway...

7 months ago

Edit

SubstantialBowler0

I’m a woman and I get more male recruiters responding to me than women. Even in the hiring process, if it’s a man that’s interviewing me, I always get hired, but if it’s a woman, nope! I wonder....why??.. This is not a woman hate train or shaming, Im just pointing out similarities and something I’ve noticed too. Have you tried reaching out to female recruiters? I agree with you, the hiring process is just.. TRASH!

7 months ago

Edit

Mom2leopold

Potentially unpopular opinion: LinkedIn seems to me to be mostly a big circle jerk by shallow people who really value appearances.

7 months ago

Edit

AnselmoHatesFascists

It’s pretty ridiculous I agree but trying hard to put myself in someone else’s shoes. Some people spend more time working than with their families and friends, so I guess they crave that sort of community and feedback? I don’t know, it’s hard to play this little exercise.

7 months ago

Edit

renderDopamine

Honestly, I get more annoyed by LinkedIn than any other social media. The grandstanding there is obnoxious.

7 months ago

Edit

Chewy_brown

Today I saw the dumbest coworker I've ever had receive her second promotion at a new company. She's now a Chemist II. She can hardly spell and has some of the worst lab technique I've ever witnessed. She posts shit all day that she thinks sounds smart. It's maddening.

7 months ago

Edit

chainedtomydesk

As far I can see, LinkedIn is mostly used by four types of people: 1) egotistical business owners who want to be worshipped by their followers, like some sort of god. 2) insecure followers who post enthusiastic anecdotes about how they love their job, while hiding their true feelings of self doubt, envy and jealousy of other people who also post enthusiastic posts about their job. 3) Recruiters and Sales people trying get their commission by spam messaging anyone and everyone with jobs and products which don’t apply to 99% of the people they message. 4) scrollers who never post who are for the most part, legitimately looking for a job but soon became disenfranchised by the circle jerk cringefest echo chamber orchestrated by the people listed above. Honestly, LinkedIn is just exhausting.

7 months ago

Edit

TrudiestK

I just go directly to the jobs tab. Problem solved. I can't wait to be comftable enough in my career path to get off Linkedin. It's truly the worst.

7 months ago

Edit

okfinejustletsgo

I once saw it referred to as the Tinder of job sites and heard the phrase "LinkedIn industrial complex" I joined anyways because a career coach I was working with recommend it. I did not find any value in it. In a strange way it made me feel exposed and desperate. Ultimately, I'm very worried about finding a new career, (I just turned 40), but I deleted my account because I'm sure there has to be another way. Right?

7 months ago

Edit

krsfifty

When I’m interviewing with someone, I like to research that person—in particular, look at the recommendations they’ve given. See what qualities they highlight, because that’s something I can try to illustrate when discussing my own experiences with this person.

7 months ago

Edit

OrganicHearing

You’re probably connected with or following the wrong people. There’s an option on LinkedIn that allows you to hide certain people’s posts on your timeline so you don’t see when they post. LinkedIn can be an excellent source if you follow the right people.

7 months ago

Edit

MatrixTek

I agree, filter the feed to what/who you care about. Use it for what it is.

7 months ago

Edit

not_beniot

Social media is trash, LinkedIn is no different. Instead of frat bros bragging about how many miles they biked, it's tech bros bragging about how their amazing Saas product is going to save the world (and also how many miles they biked)

7 months ago

Edit

Diegobyte

It’s literally a social network about work.

7 months ago

Edit

muffinTrees

Gross

7 months ago

Edit

rangoon03

LI is best if you get in do something specific like network or search for jobs and then get the hell off there for awhile. I rarely look at the feed. I use to read it the time before I realized it’s awful for your mental health. I’ve seen some inflammatory comments on news articles there that shocked me because they sounded like something that ‘throwaway123’ on Reddit would say rather than Joe Smith with a professional headshot and his entire professional life on display one click away. And then what’s with people putting “Incoming blah blah position at Evil Corp” in their tag line under their name? Why not just wait until you start that position? I don’t understand I guess..Already starting with buzzwords already..incoming!!! LinkedIn is valuable if you use it for what it’s intended for. I’ve found many job leads that led to final interviews. I also found a great resume writer via LinkedIn that transformed my resume and I received more responses to my applications and more interview requests. Well worth the money, IMO. But if you just or want to use LinkedIn as another social media ‘tool’ like Facebook, then you will be disappointed, angry, and frustrated.

7 months ago

Edit

sondeburris

Who did you use to rewrite your resume?

7 months ago

Edit

chickenboi8008

Don't look through your feed. Just go through the jobs section (but even then for me, it's been a lot of recruiting companies).

7 months ago

Edit

fartknocker33

Yep. It's depressing. Seems like a lot of fake humblebragging.

7 months ago

Edit

Basic85

Yup, I would look through linkedin and get jealous of others. I work hard in life and have nothing to show for it.

7 months ago

Edit

SecretRoomsOfTokyo

When I used linked in and scrolled, I only saw job offers. Was I using it incorrectly?

7 months ago

Edit

TrudiestK

You must have been on the jobs tab. That's the only place worth looking at anyway

7 months ago

Edit

Level_Lavishness2613

All I see is ppl with pretty titles advertising their pretty titles.

7 months ago

Edit

Oxmaul_Mike

Then stop scrolling through LinkedIn and Facebook. The solution couldn't be simpler.

7 months ago

Edit

cullenlawton_11

LinkedIn is so fucking cringe. Just people patting themselves on the back and being corporate suck ups

7 months ago

Edit

FoxyFreckles1989

I legitimately haven’t ever scrolled thru my LinkedIn feed. I log on to apply to jobs and, sometimes, network a bit with people at companies I’m interested in. I had no idea people used it like regular social media—posting about their lives and such. That’s so weird, to me.

7 months ago

Edit

ThatWideLife

I have to ask the very obvious question but did people ever consider these people to be paid influencers and overall liars? If you go off what people say on there apparently everyone is making big career moves constantly which I have never seen in any job. I think most of us just grind away and feel underappreciated getting mediocre increases.

7 months ago

Edit

re-hg

Couldn’t agree more! I avoid all social media especially LinkedIn and Instagram. Reddit is the Best ❤️

7 months ago

Edit

anawkwardsomeone

It’s the game you have to play these days. Everyone has to have an online presence/network. Like your resume, cover letter, certifications, degrees, reference letters, experience... nope, not enough! Now you have to market yourself online too. And for those who achieve great success in their field, it makes sense they would brag about it online. And LinkedIn gives them a dedicated platform for that.

7 months ago

Edit

Lost_Condas

I can't scroll for more than a minute before I start to feel sick.

7 months ago

Edit

544delta

its a brothel where we whore ourselves out to anyone who might have a spare position.

7 months ago

Edit

ExcitableSarcasm

LinkedIn is real people failing the Turing test with how fucking fake they are. I will never stop telling that joke.

7 months ago

Edit

RudeMatrix

Linked in seems to have become a more superficial Facebook, which I don't think people thought possible. Personally I find scrolling through either depressing or annoying for a multitude of reasons, whether it be someone's (usually someone you know is a dick) apparent success or antivaxing or something. My advice, remember most people on their are inflating/exaggerating. Concentrate on what makes u happy and don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself. And leave both untouched , revisit linked in every 3 months or so to make sure it's in good order (mark messages as read, update the key job stuff) so that if u ever do need to look for a job it's not a huge mountain to get it sorted. (it's also nice to see what kinda roles recruiters are starting to put forward, gives u an idea what u should be aiming for in your career). I only post on linkedin now if I have something I genuinely want to share, like a tool I think deserves more users.

7 months ago

Edit

MatrixTek

Unpopular Opinion. If you don't like the platform, you ain't using it right. What does this advice tell you? More unpopular, all the complaining about a tool, people don't understand. Use the tool for where you get value. Don't change your goals to match the platform. Be an adaptive man! Edits to get my point out here

7 months ago

Edit

uninterested_tbh

I don't know how such cringy posts became a thing on LinkedIn, but it really is toxic for people like us who are trying to just land a damn job. Every day I'd read something like "dear hiring managers, stop expecting 5 years of experience for a junior role, sincerely everyone", or "as a hiring manager, I always see XYZ traits in people. 10 years ago, I saw the opposite in someone, and I took a chance at them and hired them. Now that person is off doing amazing things. We all need a chance in life. To all the hiring managers out there, what chances will you start giving?" I can't role my eyes any harder.

7 months ago

Edit

jonwondon

It’s called being fake as shit, some people have the mental ability to complete suppress their inner self. Some don’t. The corporate sheep will always exist. These are the people that go home and scream at their kids, because they’re so “happy” to be pushing papers all day.

7 months ago

Edit

samuri521

totally agree. its toxic positivity where u gotta seem super happy and ethusistic all the time (the people who didnt do that didnt get picked!). meanwhile your employer is a sociopath / psychopath who left shitloads to die before you came along and would do the same to you in an instant if they thought theyd be better off financially. ​ oh yeah, and its ALL about money! everyone saying you gotta be passssssionate to have a job. meanwhile they would be doing something else if they thought it would make them more money!

7 months ago

Edit

formfett

I honestly think your perspective is fucking depressing 😂

7 months ago

Edit

_Oisin

As with all social media everyone tends towards posting their success. It's a biased view of the world that you shouldn't put much weight in.

7 months ago

Edit

GamecubeAdopter

LinkedIn is fake as hell. Avoid that website like the plague unless you’re in the jobs section!

7 months ago

Edit

azarr_

Linkedin is ass. not sure how all these kids I went to school with got jobs when I carried them in all the projects we did. these types of social medias/networks are shit.

7 months ago

Edit

Barron_Landscape

What's the point of this posting? You're not asking for help or anything you just spreading your negativity around?

7 months ago

Edit

NichRigga-

Facts. OP you Just need to worry about your own life and stop comparing yourself to others. Youll never be happy. Someone will always be doing something better than you, just gotta deal with it.

7 months ago

Edit

balibrownbread

Linked in has become the next Facebook. People selling oil or what not. Also influencer BS

7 months ago

Edit

Discally

And TrumQins spamming their shite non-stop, probably because they got their accounts booted from Facebook/Twitter/ETC.

7 months ago

Edit

sirziggy

The job search functions is also just filled with "open positions" which are really just staffing firms who won't get you shit either.

7 months ago

Edit

work-n-jobs

Okay I've never used LinkedIn so I can't say anything about the culture there but I very much disagree with this sentiment that anyone happy about their job just *has* to be lying and that a job can't be fulfilling

7 months ago

Edit

AnselmoHatesFascists

You’re right, it’s just that many of the people I know happy in their jobs don’t proclaim it excessively on work social media. So there’s definitely a performative aspect that might or might not be true. How about we just conclude: “Many people who love their jobs never post about that socially”

7 months ago

Edit

xb4r7x

Idk. Most people spend almost half of their waking hours working. If that's not something you're using to define your life you're probably fucking up a little. If you care that little about your career, it's time to find a new career. IMHO.

7 months ago

Edit

innak1995

Linkedin was literally created for that purpose. If you don't want people to talk about their jobs, try Facebook or Instagram. Not sure why people become so cruel about other people's happiness. I never post on linkedin but I am always happy to see others suceeding, it doesn't make my own suceess insignificant.

7 months ago

Edit

Winnjoy

It’s all fake anyways, everyone puts there best foot forward

7 months ago

Edit

Seattle321Seattle

I got tired of leaving congratulations for those who have been at their jobs when I can’t find a good one so I pulled the plug because it was bad for my personal morals

7 months ago

Edit

taintmoun

I meant... At the end of days aint all social media like that where we convinently choose to advertise our best moment while convinently choosse to forget the worst moment? I check my Facebook once in blue moon only when im so bores on the internet enough that i dont have any more key words to look for except that i messagw them. Due to internet revolution, we can communicate anywhere and anytime and yet this is where we stand

7 months ago

Edit

akizero

Deactivated my LinkedIn last month for this exact same reason. Success stories can be motivating, and maybe it's envy on my part, but goddamn I'm so sick of it

7 months ago

Edit

tellysato

I absolutely HATE LinkedIn and hate that in some cases it’s almost impossible to avoid if you want a job.

7 months ago

Edit

kryswhit

I feel you 1000%. This is why I simply hit the jobs tabs and see what’s new to apply to (half of those are fake postings nowadays anyway). Then I log off. I can’t stand LinkedIn. I’m not entirely sure it’s done anything for me. I was told to make one and keep it updated so I do.

7 months ago

Edit

HiThere2077

i feel you bro, ALL of my ex collegues from my previous jobs and also those who left recently are high flyers now, "manager" this "director" that "lead" etc while i'm stuck in junior-mid level job. And every other person started up some company, mostly stupid ideas and they all somehow successful wtf, Linkedin can be really depressing ​ despite trying to go up always faced hurdles usually others more socially powerful blocking me from going upwards in my career

7 months ago

Edit

PoorEdgarDerby

It can suck but they’re just living their best life. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re in industries where they’re highly encouraged to post about stuff in there, boss may even read it to see who *really* cares about the company. But for searching I did find it unusable for job stuff because it’s so distracting. Most of where I applied was by Indeed.

7 months ago

Edit

smeseal99

LOL I’m in college and everyone I know is graduating. My best friend and I are both going to grad school. I scrolled through linkedin and said the same fucking thing to her not 15 minutes ago lmao. LinkedIn sucks so much.

7 months ago

Edit

ConstellationMiracle

There's no need to be salty. You can also get into Harvard or MIT or start your own company.

7 months ago

Edit

BigFitMama

People lie A LOT ON LINKEDin. You sound better to future employers if you have fake job or project. And it seems the anti-vax conspiracy theorists are loving it up right now due it being mostly unmoderated with fake doctors pressing fake research about Covid-19 removing your "god gene" and scrambling your DNA. Use it to your advantage - you can spy on your future interviews for key points to talk about to connect with them. You can also pad out your past projects, internships, and so forth to make you look shiny.

7 months ago

Edit

NakedMoleHamster

Stop complaining.

7 months ago

Edit

david001234567

Why? If they feel this way they should be allowed to express themselves anyway they want! You must be one of those fake posters on LinkedIn...

7 months ago

Jobs For You