Someone offered me $25/hr

10 days ago

|

PossibilityOk4073

Someone DM'd me on Reddit and told me to contact the company he gave me. When I asked him what his job description, he said it was all about managing records. I messaged the number on WhatsApp out of desperation, and someone "interviewed" me via chat. After answering a few questions, I was immediately accepted. He requested my personal information, including my name, location, phone number, ID, and a picture. Which I thought was fine at first, but when I asked what work I would do and when I would start, he said my job would be to transfer the money from the other companies to my PayPal account and then send it back to them using Bitcoin, and my salary would be based on my diligence. I thought about it for an a while. Because they sound unprofessional, I decided to end the conversation and delete all of my information. Should I be worried? Edit: I give my student ID because I don't have any valid Id yet since I am still in college. I had a true client in WhatsApp, so I didn't know WhatsApp is a redflag. Thank you very much for all of your concerns, I read all of the comments and I learned my lesson. Have a nice day y'all!

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• memyselfandiandme

It's a scam and they'll use you for money laundering

9 days ago

• PaisFigo

Scam

9 days ago

• WhineAndGeez

It's called money laundering and you'll be left holding the bag. Everything about your story was a red flag.

9 days ago

• Current_Leather7246

The WhatsApp is a big red flag all by itself. Factor in the rest of the story and it sounds like their looking for a patsy

9 days ago

• getaway_car13

How in the hell did you think this was real?

9 days ago

• Fancuku

>Should I be worried? You should have been worried the moment that you were asked to use whatsapp.

9 days ago

• vptommr626

This sounds extremely sketchy.

9 days ago

• ibhunipo

Sounds like a tax evasion / money laundering setup. Stay away.

9 days ago

• Alternative_Topic901

Lol I'm sorry but ain't no way I'm reading this right. A company wanted to interview you on what app & you didn't think it was a scam? Wow

9 days ago

• missfreetime

100% scam. Did you send them a picture of your ID? I would be worried about identity theft.

9 days ago

• FoxyFreckles1989

I’m very sorry, but this is 100% a scam. So many of these douche canoes exist all over the internet and you shouldn’t be ashamed for falling for it (initially) and getting your hopes up. They prey on desperate, unemployed people and know exactly how to take advantage of those that need work the most. As long as you didn’t give them your social or bank information (this includes CashApp/Venmo/PayPal account numbers, but simple usernames are fine), you should probably be fine. Learn from this! There are all sorts of fake jobs posted on the major job boards that wind up being this exact scam, as well. I cannot tell you how many times I applied to “admin assistant” jobs, early into the pandemic, only to get a text message saying the same shit, “I believe this is FoxyFreckles1989?” only to follow it up with telling me to download WhatsApp for an interview and further instructions. I refused every time. Any “job” that requires you to use WhatsApp, Snapchat or whatever else to “interview” is going to be inherently bogus. I had a friend fall for something similar, and she went as far as to start “working” for them. When I told her that no, their telling her they’d send her a check to buy the office stuff she needed and then asking her to send back the difference wasn’t normal, she “quit.” Luckily, they’d “let her start” before she sent them her tax info, social etc. Again, please don’t feel too bad about yourself over this, and just chalk it up to an important lesson learned. You will find a job! You will find a remote job, if it’s what you want! Don’t give up.

9 days ago

• Miserable-Grocery199

You can't even be serious..... this is obviously a scam. Hope you didn't give your personal info

9 days ago

• accuto

100% scam, please stay away

9 days ago

• Chazzyphant

Did you send them your picture ID and name, etc? If so I would go ahead and freeze your credit for now, alert all three credit bureaus and do a search "what should I do to prevent ID theft" (and scroll past the advertisements that pop up, you're looking for information here). I'd also consider if you have the money, changing your cell phone number. You'll likely just get hit with a bunch of scammy texts that will try really hard to get you to click on links. **Be very alert and careful**. If you don't recognize the #, do NOT open or click on links in a text. No reputable company will send links through text! Even if the text says things like "thanks for paying your phone bill" or "you have visited compromised websites" DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS. Those texts are designed to get you to short circuit your critical thinking and be scared, greedy, or curious. Don't open links you get in text. But in the future, here's the flags: 25/hr is...usually not a rate for entry level jobs or unspecified "work". Most actual jobs will post the job title with a YEARLY salary and clear duties and title. Most hourly jobs don't post hourly rates on ads, they just don't. Interviews that happen right away over text or the phone only and are very perfunctory or feel "off" are flags. No reputable company will hire someone in days or hours, especially without telling you the actual job title, company name, location, pay, benefits, etc. Before you take any interviews, look up the company name on Google and LinkedIN. Also for those of you slamming OP, countries like China and India use WhatsApp a lot more than the US; it's a flag here in the US but maybe not so much for recent immigrants or those living outside the US.

9 days ago

• travellerfilms

This is a scam, run

9 days ago

• Dazzling_Window9981

Funny that it didn't seem unprofessional until AFTER you gave up all of your personal information. Take every possible precaution, and NEVER do something like this again. No one gets hired without a proper interview.

9 days ago

• Wizard_of_Ahs

Whatsapp is your 1st sign that it's Bullshit

9 days ago

• DoesntBelieveMuch

What’s to stop OP from keeping the Bitcoin with the money they send him?

9 days ago

• lefty_hefty

It's reddit. Unfortunatly most of the DMs I get are scam..

9 days ago

• fancy_marmot

I'd recommend putting a fraud alert on your credit with each of the 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian). More info: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/what-know-about-credit-freezes-and-fraud-alerts#alerts Also, be sure to report the user who DM'd you to Reddit as a scammer.

9 days ago

• jland2019

Keep an eye on your account. Put a freeze on your credit. It’s free to do so. And report them to whoever in your area deals with scams and consumer fraud.

9 days ago

• vanillax2018

It sounds pretty unbelievable that anyone in 2022 would consider this not to be scam

9 days ago

• TragicalKingdom

Scam!

9 days ago

• redditstealth

RUN!

9 days ago

• CrashKeyss

Yeah that was a scam. Hopefully the info you gave wasn't too sensitive. They will try to contact you again and again most likely. Just ignore them. Be smarter than to be that desperate next time, you learned a valuable lesson. Red flags from the get go, you need to be aware of stuff like this

9 days ago

• bkdlays

This isn't how people get jobs. Not at all.

9 days ago

• Huge_Counter_1169

Contact the state bureau of investigation and give them everything you have . They will pursue it and shut them down . Had it happen to me

9 days ago

• FurpersonMom

Don’t do any job remote that wants to send you a check to deposit before even working

9 days ago

• ssgodss

Hey OP! You are fkn moron.

9 days ago

• Valston

Not much he can really do with that information unless he's sending you something from moonpig.

9 days ago

• Mwahaha_790

What? Run away, cut all communication with this scammer, do not share anymore personal info. Times are tough, sure, but you have to know that no legitimate work situation happens like this.

9 days ago

• tekkenking1987

🤣 a scammer trying to get you

9 days ago

• kschin1

Definitely some sort of illegal activity where you help scammers with laundering money from poor innocent elderly people. Look up “money mule scam” and there are several YouTube videos on this topic.

9 days ago

• Rualsum

As long as you didn't send them your ID you should be fine.

9 days ago

• devanchya

Scam. Money laundering. Jail time and loss of any real money.

9 days ago

• westmich1

Scam

9 days ago

• Turbulent-Priority39

Scam big time.

9 days ago

• Ms-Panumbra

Definetly a scam

9 days ago

• TheRealMewt

Always do your due diligence to make sure that the job offer comes from a legitimate company. This can be done via Google search. Also, reputable businesses don't conduct operations through WhatsApp. Since you gave out your personal info to what I and many others believe to be a scam and a money laundering front, you might want to consider getting the authorities involved.

9 days ago

• boxedfoxes

You avoided a scam. Report that user if that haven’t been banned already.

9 days ago

• Dsarg_92

That sounds like a scam. I don't know any job that talks to candidates via WhatsApp.

9 days ago

• die_katse

As I understand, you haven't given them your personal information, so there are no reasons to worry. However, maybe it'd better file a complaint about these people to the police station? Nevertheless, well done that you reacted in the right way by ending the conversation and deleting all of your information.

9 days ago

• ktelliott526

My ex bf fell for this and almost deposited a fake check into his account. Don't do it. It's a scam.

9 days ago

• shockedpikachu123

DONT DO IT. This happened to me before. You’ll be in absolute trouble

9 days ago

• RMectrex

Uhhh you did the right think. It sounds illegal

9 days ago

• dougie_fresh121

The counter scam is to say you need a sign on bonus for xxx money, then report the company to the feds for money laundering and cooperate with them, barney stinson style.

9 days ago

• jsouth489

That’s a scam if I ever heard of one for you to launder money for some shady org…. Run as far as you can from that thing.

9 days ago

• spongebob5745

It’s a scam. Don’t fall for it

9 days ago

• NYFC1

100% scam

9 days ago

• JadendayZero

Interviews via chat are always a scam

9 days ago

• laurenlcd

>Should I be worried? It didn't occur to you to be worried that some rando on reddit DM'd you unsolicited about a 'job offer?'

9 days ago

• Ok-Word-2039

Money laundering, better to inform police, to avoid any problems in future

9 days ago

• sakaloko

99.99% a scam But if it's not, do hite me too! I'd easily take half of that

9 days ago

• Historical-Salad-213

Scam

9 days ago

• chronosthetitan

Scam. Report it to the ftc. Sounds a lot like money laundering. Definitely approach that with caution.

9 days ago

• The_Man-In_Black

I would be so tempted to take the money, tansfer it to bitcoin, then vanish. I know im not the only one thinking this. Plus if they tried doing anything, you have proof that thye want you to launder money, mwaning an investigation by the authorities into the company would probably come up with some nasty little secrets. Dont do that though, just leave.

9 days ago

• Redacted_Explative

Yeah this reeks of a scam bro. Best advice is to put a temporary lock on your credit and keep an eye on things. I had one text message that tried to tell me from a number that is not associated with Bank Of America that my unemployment card was disabled. Out of an abundance of caution I called the number on the back and verified with the bank it wasn't.

9 days ago

• Sweaty_Assignment_90

Sounds like no job I have ever heard of. 99.8% scam. Run!

9 days ago

• the1thatdoesntex1st

Ouch. You just got got. Hopefully they don’t use your information for anything nefarious. (I mean, more than they were already going to.)

9 days ago

• AnyAdministration234

Money Laundering!!! Should have alerted the Feds

9 days ago

• Sweatybballz

SCAM avoid!

9 days ago

• IntroductionAsleep40

yea thats money laundering, they are only paying you to use your name and creditentils on paypal so they dont have to pay any taxes

9 days ago

• FurpersonMom

Scam

9 days ago

• Mantequilla_Stotch

A few things to always consider for scams. If they are trying to speed up the process at an unbelievable pace to collect money or "hire" you, it's a scam. If they threaten you, it's probably a scam. If they cold call and make claims about court, it's a scam. If they are using any app to communicate rather than a legitimate phone line, it's a scam. If the offer is too good to be true, it's not real. If they want you to download apps to connect to your device, it's a scam. If they called you and then ask for personal information, it's a scam. Any kind of wire transfer/gift card request to pay them, it's a scam. If they tell you to not repeat what you have discussed, or try to coach you on what to tell others, it's a scam. If they claim to be of a certain entity, look up the company and call them directly. Microsoft, apple, different banks, IRS, anything like that.. none of those companies will be calling you. If they get angry with you and act unprofessional in any way, or use profound language, be wary. It's probably a scam. If anyone wants to hire you, expect an actual video or in person interview and expect they have already told you the information about what the business is, the name of the company, the job description, links to their website, etc. If they do not provide those things or seem to be avoiding giving info, it's a scam. Stay safe y'all

9 days ago

• GodOfThunder101

-____- man these scammers will never run out of fools to scam. How can people be so clueless?

9 days ago

• betcher73

Did you give them your social security number? If not, odds are low they can do a ton of damage. It may be worthwhile to watch your credit reports. You’re lucky you didn’t go through with it. It was 100% scam.

9 days ago

• TheGhostTooth

Holy Cow! So someone asked me to 1) first I got to sign an NDA - I'm like show me github/website. They reply and act polite that everybody signs and still no github and website.

9 days ago

• Enbybaby

This person is obviously younger and not as experienced (mentions school ID, no government ID). They were desperate and impulsive because if it. I don't think we need give them more shame than they already probably have.

9 days ago

• Wardine

Honestly how do people fall for this? If this was your first time on the internet I'd understand

8 days ago

• Vicariouslynoticed

It’s definitely a scam! The WhatsApp was the biggest red flag.

9 days ago

• Realistic-Order-3215

Let them send you money via PayPal and... keep it😎

9 days ago

• itdoesnteverwork

You might want to report your identity stolen by the way, if you're in the US: [https://www.identitytheft.gov/](https://www.identitytheft.gov/) ​ Edit: Also @ mods /u/Steven_2769 /u/didgerdiojejsjfkw you guys might want to have a sticky on this sub about this scam, it could potentially really fuck some people over. Lots of folks here are desperate for work, many might fall for this..

9 days ago

• [deleted]

[deleted]

9 days ago

• SappyPJs

No reason to shame OP, not everyone has street smarts, I certainly learned it the hard way too. I'd suggest for OP to stay away and change their personal bank info etc just to be safe and also report them to law enforcement if possible

9 days ago

• Kat027_IDK

First off, you're very stupid to accept a "job offer" through an app that isn't a job applying site. And secondly, even more stupidity, you decided to contact them on an app that allows people to stay annoymous. Hope you lost your money and what not because you're the stupidest person I've ever met.

9 days ago

• ladyKfaery

It’s a scam

9 days ago

• thetaro

AML SAR you, 😂

9 days ago

• stgnet

/r/scam

9 days ago

• enraged768

Lol that's straight up a scam

9 days ago

• JazzFan1998

You may want to cross post this to r/scams

9 days ago

• jonstarks

you got accepted for a job before knowing what the job was?

9 days ago

• Yolkpuke

This is clearly a scam.

9 days ago

• heymrbreadman

Reddit people think everything is a scam… but I’ll be damned if that doesn’t sound just like a scam

9 days ago

• PlayboiGarri

Seems like a fancy way to launder money (know loads of fraudsters and even drug dealers do this)

9 days ago

• Independent_Cow_4959

SCAM

9 days ago

• Puzzleheaded-Kale434

Nope scam. Run far far away

9 days ago

• Blackstar1401

This was a scam. They would have sent you money. you would have sent them bitcoin which could not be retrieved and they would do a claim through PayPal which would take the original money from your account.

9 days ago

• ColdJazz

Deposite all the money into your account, transition it to Monero, and then block them. Monero is completely anonymous. Free pay out.

9 days ago

• mtdualie

Bail out, bail out!!!

9 days ago

• GigiTheGoof

That is definitely money laundering. Please give that WhatsApp number to the guys at Trilogy Media on YouTube. They go after these guys.

9 days ago

• Shortchange96

Ummmmmmmm

9 days ago

• biguccies

I thought college was supposed to make you smarter than this…

9 days ago

• According-Revenue-38

As a banker , we see this a lot these days. No one is going to pay you or give you money and then ask you to send it somewhere as pay. That isn’t normal

9 days ago

• 0LD0G

Yes, you should be worried. That's a obvious scam.

9 days ago

• lexaleidon

Sounds like a total scam and money laundering!

9 days ago

• BeerJunky

/r/scams

9 days ago

• lady__jane

I read the title and thought how ambiguous it was -"phenomenal!" at one stage of a career and "they're lowballing" at a later stage.

9 days ago

• No_USRNAME89

Sounds like one of those money laundering scams

9 days ago

• GiftedBrilliance

Its Money Laundering. You’ll be on the Hook for it. In some countries some people offer fake loans/payments for iPhones Person 1: Transfers the First Month and Last Month’s payment to them expecting to get an iPhone Person 2: Gets the Money and Transfers it to Person 3 Person 3: is selling Gift Cards or something like that. He receives payment from Person 1 or Person 2 and then gives the Gift Card to The Person that created all of this mess. All 3 people are on the hook for money laundering sometimes. A lot of times Person 1 goes to the cops or sues Person 2 or Person 3 (whoever he transfer the money to). Sometimes its thousands. Never ever ever Transfer Money to ANYONE. Never accept money from anyone. If its too good to be true then its most definitely not true and is sketchy and illegal. A lot of times if you’re in the US. These WhatsApp people take loans in your name if they have your SSN. They live in Extradition Free countries.

9 days ago

• worldofjaved

I got the same kind of proposal, I asked them to hire me through Upwork, Fiverr or any other freelance marketplace. Don’t share your personal info with anyone until they take you the creditable place where they can hire you.

8 days ago

• worldofjaved

Did they have your finger prints? Or the ID that you provided them was enough clear that they can see your finger prints?

8 days ago

• YFNyoPunji

Scam

8 days ago

• normysWH

Yes, this is a scam. Do not provide any pictures of your identity. They can be used for money laundering and identity theft. I’ve dealt with cases of students falling for this scam before and it’s a headache to go through.

8 days ago

• HumanSuspect4445

It's a scam. Please don't give them any more information and cut them out entirely.

8 days ago

• 2purplefuzzythings

Scammed

8 days ago

Jobs For You