Starting a job Tuesday with two black eyes - help?

a month ago

|

shinesock

Last Sunday, I had an accident playing basketball that left with two pretty bad black eyes. This is my right eye right now: https://imgur.com/a/e0GztO1 and this is my left: https://imgur.com/a/5zE7qi0. While graduating college on Friday looking like a panda wasn’t particularly fun, I wasn’t worried since I wasn’t due to start my new job until June 6th when my shiners will be gone. Unfortunately, I got a call earlier this afternoon from my new boss who wants me to come in on Tuesday to help them close out the quarter. I don’t think there’s any way my black eyes heal by then. I want to come in looking my best and give a good first impression, something that I think having two black eyes will make very difficult. How should I deal with this? Do you think I can move my start date back until my black eyes heal? It would only be back a couple days, I think. How can I make a good first impression if I do start Tuesday?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

• intuitive_mind

Well, my 1st reaction is to tell u to tell them the truth. But if you feel the stress of the judgment is so hard for you, then makeup can at least cover some of that stuff up for it not to be so dramatically different from the rest of the face. You could buy a concealer kit with red, green, and yellow. This colors can be applied under a regular concealer that matches the rest of your skin tone. Many YouTube videos about how to conceal dark under eyes with colored concealer will help you. Tbh, that looks so dark I believe makeup will not have 100% efficacy... could make ppl ask questions about your eyes anyways.

a month ago

• shinesock

Do you think makeup is even worth it because it’s so dark and still pretty swollen?

a month ago

• rooktherhymer

Let your boss know ahead of time. You had an accident, you're fine, you look frightful, it won't affect your ability to do the job. You boss will be expecting it and the pressure is reduced. It's not as big a deal as it seems. Trust me, I've been on both sides of this.

a month ago

• shinesock

Do I really look frightening right now? I want to give a good first impression to my boss and co-workers

a month ago

• Cheap-Cap-7637

Please stay home dude. This looks like a pretty severe black eye that needs tending to, it will show through any amount of makeup. I think starting a few days later will be less stress than trying to upkeep a story of how you got black eye’s and why you’re trying to hide them if your coworkers catch on

a month ago

• Clownfromabove

If anything you tell the story and people will remember you very well and give you a nickname. Just get use to be called panda guy/man/boy for awhile… people are probably going to know you more by your nickname more than your actual name. they will probably ask is how did you got the two shiners? I’m curious as well is that like a nose hit or did you actually get hit by two different balls with each eye?

a month ago

• shinesock

Ugh, I really would like to avoid a nickname from it, if possible. As to how I got my black eyes, I was playing basketball and I got tripped and fell into the metal pole holding up the hoop. I hit my right eyebrow and initially it was only that one that swelled shut and bruised, but the bruising ultimately spread to the other eye which is why it doesn’t look nearly as bad.

a month ago

• SeasonalGardenHoe

Ice on and off as much as possible! And try not to take hot showers, this can make the skin swell and more inflamed. And do NOT use heat on your eyes!! Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen to help reduce swelling. Get plenty of sleep and just generally take care of yourself. Every little bit counts! Okay, so now, if that doesn’t help them he’s much (which it probably won’t, but still try!) Then do this: Still ice and use medication to reduce swelling, as makeup can only cover so much. Get a color correction palette. You can go to an Ulta store and ask for help and advice. Or whatever store is near you. You will need to correct the color before you put on concealer. Look at a color wheel. Whatever colors are right across from each other are the ones that’ll cancel each other out. (Think purple and yellow etc. ) Next, get some lightly tinted sunglasses. The kind that can pass for reading glasses. Tell people they’re *transition lenses*. Good luck. If all else fails you can try and wow everyone with your awesome basketball story.

a month ago

• shinesock

Wow, thanks for the advice! Realistically, how much success do you think I’ll have covering my black eyes?

a month ago

• PraetorianHawke

Lol just make it a cool story haha

a month ago

• shinesock

Is that even possible?

a month ago

• yabukothestray

Are you able to pick up eye patch bandages at the store? (I know CVS / Walgreens carry them, most grocery stores as well). If they ask, then just say you got into an accident playing basketball hence the eye patch bandage. I am sure they will understand.

a month ago

• shinesock

Potentially, but I still have a second black eye so it’s not like I could use a patch for both

a month ago

• EnoughComplex5

Get some arnica gel

a month ago

• shinesock

Do you think that’ll heal my black eyes by Tuesday?

a month ago

• dudernader61

This is one way to get a memorable first impression. More power to you bud.

a month ago

• shinesock

Haha, well I don’t think this will give a good first impression. It’ll be quite the impression though lol

a month ago

• nicilou74

I'd call them back and let them know in advance, so they are less shocked when they see you.

a month ago

• shinesock

Agreed on calling them back, but should I try to push back the start date or should I just give them the heads up about my black eyes

a month ago

• AlphaSengirVampire

That’s a tough one. How did you respond to the request when asked? Maybe you could say you’d love to start early but in reliance on your start date you made plans with family etc.

a month ago

• shinesock

Unfortunately, I’m kind of a people pleaser and so I said it shouldn’t be a problem. I was kicking myself immediately after saying that. Am I screwed?

a month ago

• ChickenXing

When do you expect the eyes to heal? What was your original start date planned?

a month ago

• shinesock

The original start date was June 6th. I was hoping they would be healed before then.

a month ago

• xb4r7x

Since you didn't get those shiners in a bar fight, just be honest. You'll probably wander in on the first day and your manager will be concerned. Assure them that you're fine and just had a basketball mishap. I doubt it'll ever be mentioned again.

a month ago

• shinesock

You don’t think it’ll give people the wrong idea? I want to make a good first impression, but obviously that’ll be pretty hard in my current state

a month ago

• midnitemoontrip

I believe that you’re overthinking this. Black eyes happen all the time for all sorts of reasons. Just be honest and there’s no reason anyone would think poorly of you. I’ve had black eyes because of seizures and surgeries and people WILL ask, so just tell them you fell on your face while playing basketball. Totally believable.

a month ago

• shinesock

Ouch, sorry that happened to you. I’m just not used to looking like this and I really don’t want to give people the wrong impression when they see me for the first time.

a month ago

• luke-ms

Depending on how your boss is I'd choose to message them first with a picture explaining the situation and asking him if he doesn't mind. Not much you can do, and shit happens to everyone it's not like it is your fault

a month ago

• shinesock

Thank makes sense. Although, on the other hand, do you think my black eyes will be gone with the extra week to heal?

a month ago

• DoubleReputation2

So call me crazy but adjusting my schedule like that would just not be possible... We have agreed on me starting on the 6th and I am not available until then. Sorry boss, I have injured myself and won't be able to come in at an earlier date, I should be fine for the date we agreed upon as my start date previously, though. Hey Boss, this is really awkward as I would really love to help the company, but unfortunately I have had an accident and my vision is so blurry I can't possibly work. Doc said it will get better as the swelling recedes in a few days. \*sends picture\* I would really prefer starting on the 6th, boss. Hey boss, I'm sorry but I just graduated on Friday and was really looking forward to taking this week off and letting off all that college stress. \*Hi, Thank you for contacting me. I am currently out of office and will return on the 5th. In case of an emergency, please call 911\*

a month ago

• shinesock

All those sound pretty good. Still probably not going to be a fun conversation. Do you think my black eyes will be gone if I have that full extra week to heal?

a month ago

• solidsalmon

I think you'd make a great first impression were you to show up smiling and eager with both your eyes bruised.

a month ago

• shinesock

Haha, I hope you’re right

a month ago

• Tyroneus

For sure wear an eye patch for the right one, as it’s more gnarled up. For the left just ice it and wear make up, or just see how it heals in the next few days.

a month ago

• YellowLegwarmer

so you got jumped and robbed if you live in the city

a month ago

• shinesock

Is the actual story of my hitting a pole not believable?

a month ago

• ebb_and_flow95

If you’re over 21, tell them you got into a bar fight and the other guy looks way worse. Just kidding, don’t do that.

a month ago

• shinesock

I think it’d be tough to look worse than me right now lol

a month ago

• iryan6627

You’d be a moron to listen to anyone telling you to go in.

a month ago

• shinesock

Does it really look that bad?

a month ago

• kindhearttbc

Wear shades/patch it? Tell them you were doing some woodwork and something flew into your eye and got infected.

a month ago

• Bibininini

I would call them up tomorrow and say you need to push back your start date because you just got into an accident and need time to heal and for the swelling to go down. Im sure they would understand. I dont think makeup would help in this stage of the bruising/swelling.

a month ago

• dinnerwdr13

Do what you can to minimize it, which at this point your injury looks to be fully engulfed. Ice packs, Advil, hydrate, avoid hot water or steam rooms. Very gently massage the bruises to help break up the pooled blood...but those are there for a while. It's very likely the worse of the two will still be lingering around a month from now. How to handle this with the job: call or email your boss. Let them know that you were playing sports and got injured. You're ok but you have two massive black eyes. The team should be ok, explain it in plain English and laugh it off. I used to do business somewhere and one of the workers would come in sometimes looking like he had been mauled by a tiger and Mike Tyson. Everyone would laugh, make jokes: turned out he was an aspiring MMA semi-pro and kept his day job. I also used work with a boxer that took 2 weeks off for his first try at a pro-fight...he came back extremely swole up, had last badly and "retired" to just sparing. My point is, your not the first or last person to show up to work, even on a first day, with a couple of shiners.

a month ago

• Ok_Holiday_2987

You could just claim that the interview process was really rough?

a month ago

• Just-a-Pea

I wouldn’t change the start date. That causes a worse impression. Definitely try make up, even if it doesn’t cover it completely, it might make it less obvious. Then when you first talk with your new boss tell him before he asks. You can tell him about the accident and about your worry of the black eyes affecting your first impression. IMO, showing up to work on time, being respectful and doing the work causes a better first impression than what clothes/make up you wear. Do you have a video of the accident? It can be a cool anecdote to tell to your new coworkers.

a month ago

• shyjenny

I fell down while carrying a heavy AC unit & my face was pretty bruised up Got the makeup concealers and watched some youtube videos to help make it less dramatic Both eyes were dark, swollen and cheeks bruised Only one person asked about it - I told him I lost my MMA training match & he was a bit of an idiot so that was that

a month ago

• Apollo_232

Follow Tyler’s advises: First rule of Fight Club…

a month ago

• proverbialbunny

>Unfortunately, I got a call earlier this afternoon from my new boss who wants me to come in on Tuesday to help them close out the quarter. Say no. You gotta learn it on the job, might as well learn how to say no now.

a month ago

• newton302

It's a good story, that you got two black eyes playing basketball. It tells something about you. And it is a good test for your new employers too. I hope you get to have some Summer vacation too.

a month ago

Community Discussions

Jobs For You