Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

The interviewing and hiring process is ridiculous

15 days ago

|

Really just a vent. But jeez Louise. I’ve been on maybe 4 separate interviews now, followed by the “final part,” which involved a 2 hour working exercise. This is an entry level position. Furthermore, I was put in an email thread w the other candidates and no, we weren’t BCC’ed. So now all I’ve been doing is comparing myself to the other interviewees that I can find on LinkedIn. I’m really just getting exhausted and discouraged. I also have had no luck with other companies even interviewing me. I just feel like this job market is hard and I am worried I’m going to be stuck working my little part time job forever. Ugh, rant over!

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Federal-Tension

Well I had a final interview over 13 days ago and nothing. I now have new leads and it makes me wonder what else does the company want. Companies think they are Einstein and want the "perfect" candidate when in fact, they're simply delusional.

15 days ago

Edit

askawaylmk

It’s just like literally insane! Like what else do you want me to do? Work for free for 6 months for you to decide if I’m worth hiring

15 days ago

Edit

Helvetica4eva

Honestly this company sounds like a shitty place to work. Four interviews and a two-hour test for an entry level job? What a waste of everyone's time (including theirs; no idea why companies do this shit). >Furthermore, I was put in an email thread w the other candidates and no, we weren’t BCC’ed. That is unbelievably unprofessional on their part. This has never happened to me before.

15 days ago

Edit

askawaylmk

So I feel the exact same way. However, this is a massive global company, and you likely use their products in your daily life. So it’s insane to me. I’ve heard it’s super hard to get into, so I’m not so surprised. The whole oversight w the BCC’ing emails though, really got me!

15 days ago

Edit

bamboojerky

The whole hiring system is overbloated. Every employee does not need to be a rockstar for your business to function. Furthermore entry level jobs are supposed to be the candidates proving grounds for future advancement. Ive been in some ridiculous interviews only to find out they were paying next to nothing

15 days ago

Edit

FarDragonfruit183

I for one am not surprised by this turn of events. We were raised to be special snow flakes where everyone gets a trophies for existing to prove how unique they are. Now that my generation are in positions to do hiring the results are as expected. They want everyone else to be special snowflakes like themselves. 🙄

15 days ago

Edit

bigfluffysheeps

You just have to keep at it, and keep applying to different places. Unfortunately, a lot of places have crazy interview practices. I've been hearing a lot of similar stories lately. Also, don't compare yourself to other candidates. What you see on LinkedIn is not necessarily a good indicator of how they did in the interview or how well they can do the job.

15 days ago

Edit

MudLOA

Took a while to find this comment. Yes, don't give up. Have a goldfish memory and don't succumb to the "imposter syndrome." I know it's easier said than done. When I first started looking it took 6 months for my first job straight out of school. You can do it.

15 days ago

Edit

DrWhoaFan

If they don't hire you sue them in small claims over the two hour unpaid work excercise

15 days ago

Edit

ImPhanes

I applied at this place near my home. And hours aren't overnight thankfully (overnight drains my mental health). Has been a 2 week long process so far. Background check, drug test and some other things I guess. I hope my time isn't wasted because I do need a job that's in the morning till afternoon... I hope you get one too. It's hard out there in this market of jobs and companies looking to hire especially since the holidays are approaching. Just hang in there and you'll get something. That's what my dad had to do a couple of years ago. It was draining for him to find a job after he got laid off. But eventually he found one and he's been happy there for the past 11-12 years.

15 days ago

Edit

stratus41298

That all sounds awful. To heck with em.

15 days ago

Edit

MOBLuckyLuciano

Reading these makes me wonder what the job is and why I’m not having to go through the same hoops. Or if I am and I just don’t know it which is worse. It’s been like a month and I’m going in two days for a badge appointment, which I assume is me just getting a work ID.

15 days ago

Edit

somethinlikeshieva

I hear you man, I’m an experienced IT tech but for my current situation I just need a part time job. I’ve had Atleast 5 interviews for different types of entry level work, I maybe got one offer but declined cuz it was my first interview and pay was really low. Oh I did get another offer but that’s fast food, I think that’s the one place that will still hire anybody. I even had two interviews for a hotel job, didn’t get picked. That same hotel hired me this week because my friend who works there had to talk to his manager in a different department. This is the hardest I ever had to work to find work

15 days ago

Edit

DrWhoaFan

I want you to realize that you're an experienced it tech and got turned down from a fast food place ...I want you to think about how real that "labor shortage" claim is

15 days ago

Edit

seizethecarp_1

I feel that. I settled for the position I'm at now because I just wanted to get away from my last gig. During those several months of interviewing, I had one really exciting one that was cooler and almost $20k (US) more, but had a homework assignment and a three hour second round interview . At the end one of the guys stuck around for a second after everyone else dropped to let me know that I'd be hearing from them. Spoiler Alert: I didn't.

15 days ago

Edit

sonic2691

Wtf position is this and how large is the company. I legit went through 8 interviews and got an offer for another position different salary. I took it because I'm tired :/

15 days ago

Edit

askawaylmk

Honestly, if they offered a different position within the same company I would just take it. It’s an analyst position, the company is global and has thousands of employees. It’s hard to think that everyone goes thru this same vetting process

15 days ago

Edit

dj_no_dreams

I’m in the same boat. First contact aug. 2nd. Since then I’ve had 4 interviews and one take-home project. I ended up putting roughly 25 hours of work into it. As of today, I am still in limbo because they are “in the process of reviewing other projects”. This company is a large clothing retailer, for a senior level position. Of course I’ve been interviewing elsewhere. This is how companies lose out on great talent—don’t make them wait!

15 days ago

Edit

TransitionApart

Ranting is good. In this case, justified. I was considered for a job that required a phone screen, a video segment, a test, and a panel interview. Then after all that if they hire you it is probation. I didn't make it past the phone screen, but at least the rejection wasn't automated. I was told they wanted to go with someone who was further along in the process. But I don't think I would have made it past the video stage anyway. This was for an entry-level position for a "global company." Most of the responses I've gotten were part-time, freelance, or temporary work. Only two interviews were for companies offering real jobs. I've been looking and applying since last June.

15 days ago

Edit

WhiteGriffon

People just need to refuse to do these excess exercises.

14 days ago

Edit

Thecatofirvine

They really want me to commit murder… I swear.

15 days ago

Edit

LostaMyPasta

I feel like interviewers and jobs ask too much of a person as well. I'll get bombarded with hard tasks and questions only to get the job and be doing NONE of what it said I would be doing in the job description. Either that, or the job is just easy as shit compared to everything they ask you during the interview. As far as being compared to others goes, a few years back, I was accepted to go train at my town's local police department and if they saw me fit out of the rest of the candidates, (7 or 8 including myself were all there together) they would pay full ride for me to go to the academy and work at my town's department as a cadet. I was easily one of the more fit guys there, but long story short, they chose a guy who was basically nothing but athletically gifted, that's all. Other than that, the guy was as dumb as a sack of rocks. I may be a bit cocky in assuming that I'd have made a better candidate, but I got higher scores on the tests, some of the better times during the physical training portions, and I was the only one to drag a 200lb dummy across a football field without throwing up all over the place. TL;DR of that story, don't compare yourself to others, even if it seems like that's what they're doing. They do that to try and push the most out of you, but it's an absolute joke to pin people up against each other like that for minimum or maybe even slightly above-average pay. Know your worth, try the best YOU can without straining yourself, and if they don't pick you, their loss. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Something will stick, just be patient. Best of luck!

15 days ago

Edit

Lakersrock111

I bit the bullet and hired the resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn help person. Mainly because it has been hellish with finding a career.

15 days ago

Edit

whatusername_____

this happened to me too. very annoying

15 days ago

Edit

Remarkable-Sleep-441

If it makes you feel better, the person selecting the candidates can’t do half of what the worst candidate can do.

14 days ago

Edit

alertbunny

Ask yourself if the pay is even worth it

14 days ago

Edit

RDPCG

>was put in an email thread w the other candidates and no, we weren’t BCC’ed What sort of clown-car operation is this? First, who in HR doesn't use emailing software in this day and age to communicate with candidates? Second, who accidentally BCC's all candidates for a role? Serious amateur hour. >“final part,” which involved a 2 hour working exercise. Be careful with this. I've been in this position before where I had to do an exercise. Turns out it was free work - they took it and never called me back. If you provide them with work (and assuming this isn't coding or something that technical) - provide them with a general outline(s) which shows them that you understand the exercise and how to complete it successfully - don't give them every detail. You aren't getting paid to do it.

14 days ago

Edit

DireStraitsLion

JEEZ LOUISE PEPPER CHEESE QUINN W.

14 days ago

Edit

RaylaSan

I understand how you feel, I was recently fired from my full-time job after working there for three months because, I "didn't have the experience they needed". That isn't something you tell someone that's been working for you for three long months! I feel like they just put me on a test drive because apparently they've done this to four other people. They keep on hiring and firing people left and right to see if their "fit" for the company, and if they aren't they just kick you out like its nothing, telling you, "sorry, but I'll be a reference".

14 days ago

Jobs For You