Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Things I wish I could say to potential employers but can't

2 months ago

|

1) Why does the position say "entry-level" but you want 5 years experience? 2) I prep for my interviews, the least you can do is read your job post and my resume. 3) I am not on call from 7 am to 9 pm. 4) My resume is shortened so you will read my much longer LinkedIn Profile. Please read it. 5) Why would I go to school for a field, only to have you discount it in an interview? 6) Why say you will call back when you are not? Feel free to add your own "things you wish you could say"...

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

BusinessForeign7052

Why even call me for an interview if you weren't interested in me as a candidate anyway. I gave you the courtesy of my time for this interview, the least you can do is tell me I didn't get the job.

2 months ago

Edit

A_Monster_Named_John

A lot of interviews are organizations ticking off a box so that it at least appears above-board when they end up hiring whichever alcoholic sex-pest is related to the V.P.

2 months ago

Edit

CindiMayweather57821

Alternatively, why require 5+ years experience if you’re only offering an entry-level salary? Why make me do an unpaid project for you to prove my skills when my portfolio and professional references can attest to my experience?

2 months ago

Edit

gerhorn

I shit you not, I came across a listing today that required only 2 years of experience and it's a Mid-Senior position... The jury's still out on if I'm going to reply to that one (mostly because I get sidetracked very easily and I have to find the listing again. 😬)

2 months ago

Edit

oldschoolology

“Why is it okay for you not to list the salary range on the job posting?” Such a waste of time to go through the rigors of an interview just to discover if your current job pays more.

2 months ago

Edit

yggdrasila

I know people have mixed feelings about temp/ staffing agencies but this is why I love them most agencies I’ve worked with list the salary up front unless it’s a really high paying position where there’s a lot of wiggle room.

2 months ago

Edit

Nouseriously

It's totally ok for people to work for you then go home to their families without thinking about work once. You shouldn't expect employees to be obsessed with their jobs, that's unhealthy & weird.

2 months ago

Edit

Doubleoh_11

I’m curious about your shortened resume, and longer LinkedIn profile? Recruiters might notice the online profile but many resume reviewers won’t go the extra step to click on your profile. Is there away you can incorporate more into your resume? Likely you could also be missing out on company’s that use keywords to sort resumes

2 months ago

Edit

Fresh-Minimum7473

This is because there is a belief that resumes can only be 1 page and if you have a 20 year work history (like myself) it’s impossible to put that on a single page. Something has to get left off.

2 months ago

Edit

VarsityResumes

1. Can you at least send me a rejection email or provide feedback after an interview? 2. Please don't expect me to do free work for you during the interview process. 3. Why are you making me go through more than 3 rounds of interviews? 4. Why are you requiring applicants to know 892 different skills on the job posting when that isn't humanly possible? 5. Why are you requiring me to submit short essay responses with my application? This isn't college admissions.

2 months ago

Edit

ThatGirlIsFly

Going with your theme: 6. Why do you require me to do a pre-screening recorded interview just to reject me before even giving me a chance at an actual interview?

2 months ago

Edit

geopolit

I'll be frank, maybe it's me but I've NEVER bothered being polite about it once an employer has shown me they treat interviewees/potential employees like trash. The only one on your list that I'll forgive is #2 as I've had some interviews that worked out well BECAUSE of the lack of prep on the part of a hiring manager (if you can control the conversation it can be very advantageous in negotiating). I have walked out in the middle of a interview before and will probably do so again. Life is too short and at least locally, opportunities too plentiful to work for sociopaths ever again.

2 months ago

Edit

scarlettskadi

Good for you! Know your worth- and don't settle for less.

2 months ago

Edit

im_hunting_reddits

I once had a boss openly mock my education to make customers laugh. Long story short I don't work there anymore and fuck retail. On another note, in the last two years, the only position I've gotten has been a two month temporary position, which paid surprisingly well, even at part-time. Unfortunately it was not something which could be extended or rolled over into another position. Good luck out there.

2 months ago

Edit

yggdrasila

I’d try again with the temp agencies I knows a lot of them are struggling to find hires rn so look up other agencies in your area.

2 months ago

Edit

takenusername7777

One time, I went to an interview dressed in a suit and the employer literally wore her pajamas. I wonder to this day why she thought it was appropriate.

2 months ago

Edit

pm-me-ur-cattos

Might have been on the verge of quitting herself

2 months ago

Edit

Desertbro

4.) You need to provide everything you want the interviewers to know - they are not going to go on a scavenger hunt for your details, until the final stage when the background guy comes with a light probe.

2 months ago

Edit

MindfulMuser

Exactly, these hiring managers are going through a pile of resumes. An applicant needs to make their resume jump out at the hiring manager, because in six seconds they're on to the next one.

2 months ago

Edit

ChocolateNapqueen

Why would you leave out the salary range for a job and then ask me why I applied to a role that doesn’t pay what I currently make? BECAUSE THE RANGE YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THIS ROLE WASN’T LISTED AND I KNOW WHAT THIS POSITION SHOULD BE PAYING!!!! Jobs!!! Stop wasting our time and list the salary range!!!

2 months ago

Edit

minos157

Currently on the hunt and here's a big two that are my pet peeves from both this and previous job hunts: 1. "Fake" job postings that are basically hunting for resumes, but from real companies. I applied for a job last week as a senior manager and during a screening call with their headhunter they were looking for a completely different role (an accountant!), the one I applied to didn't exist. When he told me my resume didn't fit the role, I said, "No shit because that's not what I applied for," and hung up. 2. Generic job titles and descriptions when the company wants specific experience. In a previous hunt about 5 years ago I applied to a production engineering role. The description was generic and wanted X+ years of production engineering experience plus the normal job description things (Communication, leadership, drive to succeed, yada yada). When I got on the phone interview they said, "Well your resume shows a background in the chemical industry and we are looking for someone with direct experience in construction." So put that in the job description then!

2 months ago

Edit

iSmile77

I feel like companies use generic job titles so that you are unable to research potential salary information as well.

2 months ago

Edit

5577oz

A few years ago I had an interview situation where I had to wait over an hour passed the scheduled time. I *still* fantasize about telling them "You clearly don't respect my time so I am no longer interested in working here."

2 months ago

Edit

RDPCG

Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me. I'll wait 15 minutes, because shit happens. Hell, if you notify me, I'll wait 30. Any amount of time past that, especially with no notification, and I'm walking.

2 months ago

Edit

AdMaleficent9374

#2 especially. I had an experience with a large company that helps us search stuff on the internet. You got which company it is. The guy who interviewed me mentioned that he belongs to some other team, and cross-interviewing, and then started asking me questions relevant to a field that was a small portion of my undergrad; but not relevant to the job description I applied for, nor to my graduate degree at all. I calmly tried to answer as best as I can. But at some point, he asked very hard/niche questions that required depth within that area. So I told this guy that I do not know the answer to the question. He asked me back and said “Oh I thought you were proficient in XYZ and why you are applying” and in response I said that was my undergrad which I took maybe two courses about XYZ topic which I graduated from my undergrad 10 years ago and I have specialized in another branch not XYZ. Then he asked if I didn’t apply for XYZ and berated me literally. In response, I said Mr. this is the job position I applied and these are the qualifications that are asked, I did not apply for XYZ and I am not interested in XYZ. He talked about how uninterested i was in the next 20 minutes because I did not remember the answer to a topic I literally took the class 12 years ago. In the end, I said thank you very much for your time. I have to be honest that you wasted my 45 minutes by not checking which position/job I applied for even though you knew you were going to cross interview and you were very rude in the past 20 minutes with your attitude. I do not think this is a fair interview, and needless to say I am no longer interested in working for this company due to employee attitude. Needless to say, I got eliminated right away. 2 days later HR employee reached out to me and asked to speak on the phone after I filled out a “how was your interview experience?” survey. We spoke on the phone and I explained the situation. She kind of almost blurted out that I was not the first one complaining about this particular interviewer. She asked me if I’d be interested in interviewing for same position but different location in the largest state. Regardless, I mentioned that I was no longer interested and this guy gave me a vibe that the work place is toxic. I thanked her for her time. To this day, I still think to myself, that you fucking have 45 minutes with me only. You can only spend 5 minutes going over my 1 page resume when going from meeting 1 to meeting 2 so you can get the best out of getting to know me to make a decision. You can also fucking read an email from your HR about the position you are interviewing for when you are waiting in an elevator, or sitting on toilet. Instead for 20 minutes you berate me and then talk about how successful you were as a student at Cal Tech and IBM. Idiot.

2 months ago

Edit

Dskha323

Why would you make me sit through hours of Interviews only to offer pay that isn’t even going to cover average one bedroom rent in the area.

2 months ago

Edit

BlackAsphaltRider

Because someone, somewhere is willing to take it even if you aren't.

2 months ago

Edit

SoftwareCycle

It seems like I’m just stuck in a desert of having not enough experience to start earning experience.

2 months ago

Edit

Beneficial-Sock-1817

Every entry-level finance job I see wants at least 1-3 years of experience. Like if I had 2 years of experience I wouldn't be applying to your job dummy. I guarantee a lot of applicants these days have much better credentials than the people who are making the job postings and rejecting candidates.

2 months ago

Edit

YoWhatsGoodie

I feel like # 1-3 are acceptable questions in an interview. Not only are they interviewing you, you’re interviewing them.

2 months ago

Edit

ArizonaTucker

They do not like when you interview them...lol. They asked me if I had questions. I proceeded and it went in an unexpected direction. Then the hiring manager said, "You asked some great questions, which says a lot about you." I didn't know if he was being serious or insulting...

2 months ago

Edit

Dmpchicity

I actually tell them straight up. What does your company have that will benefit me!? Why are you hiring!? How is your employee moral if I asked around? I play their game also.

2 months ago

Edit

portobellomushy2

How do they respond to that last question? That's a great one!

2 months ago

Edit

Lokii11

Why are you asking me about skills which the position doesn’t list as a requirement?

2 months ago

Edit

saltysnatch

“I don’t want to work here but I need a job so fuck you give me one”

2 months ago

Edit

dicarlok

I want to start a non-profit where y’all send me companies that violate the stuff in this thread and I send them SCATHING emails about the death of common courtesy and sense. Lol

2 months ago

Edit

palekaleidoscope

Why apologize about the meagre salary you will offer, saying you know it’s “the best we can do right now”? If you know it’s an embarrassingly small salary, raise it! Don’t apologize for it hoping I’ll be desperate enough to take it anyway. I have well over 10 years’ experience in the field you represent-I know my worth.

2 months ago

Edit

MIKE_THE_KILLER

I would just ask some of those questions on a interview simply because you should just be yourself.

2 months ago

Edit

cbaichh

A lot of jobs I see are where many people with the right degree can learn on the job. It’s messed up.

2 months ago

Edit

scarlettskadi

Please don't expect candidates to put their lives on hold and be available while you give them crickets for days after telling them you're checking references. I've been part of an interview panel and know it doesn't take that long- and if so, at least keep candidates informed. If people don't have the required experience according to you, then why waste time interviewing them? Did you not read the resume and cover letter? Oh and if you're actually hiring someone already on the job , don't take the piss and advertise the job when you know you don't have to or have any intention of looking further afield- we know what you're doing. Ooh job hunting is sooo much fun!

2 months ago

Edit

VenKitsune

Why can I not ask about the pay/salary? Like come on let's not dance around the Bush - you have a job that needs doing and are required by law and will pay me for it. I will do said job if only I know what exactly you're going to pay me. People don't apply for jobs assuming they'll be paid in pixie dust.

2 months ago

Edit

Sadclown44

Why am I filling a form that has the same info as my resume?

2 months ago

Edit

DaddyDonuts

Mine: "you should be run democratically as a worker's co-op"

2 months ago

Edit

sigdiff

I agree with all of these except number four. As a frequent hiring manager who also has a 60-hour/wk full-time job that is NOT hiring people, I don't have time for this. If I'm hiring someone for my team it's because I need extra help on my team and I'm already down a person. So I'm already working extra hard AND I'm understaffed. I don't have time to be spelunking your LinkedIn profile because you didn't put it on your resume. If you want me to read it, give it to me. I've got hundreds of applications and resumes to go through. And none of that is part of my day job.

2 months ago

Edit

Then_Heat_3598

But again my problem is now leaving you with a six page resume. I am not a doctor or even someone with years of reasearch/schooling so 6 pages is inappropriate. I know interviewers barely read cover letters, so I have no idea how to capture 30 years of work experience in a 2 page resume.

2 months ago

Edit

connecticut06470

I think I am going to just start saying these things to potential employers

2 months ago

Edit

lamustard

Are you going to badmouth me to potential employees if I work here, much like you're doing with your colleagues right now?

2 months ago

Edit

mysteryihs

I was in talks for a freelancing gig, client says she's considering one other person so she'll "let me know their decision" and "it's only one other person in consideration" so she'll "definitely let me know." Of course she never lets me know, but she also goes out of her way to delete any sensitive info from our previous messages so I can't do anything malicious. So what I would say to her is: Why the hell would you do that?

2 months ago

Edit

DireStraitsLion

Why should I list the 5 jobs I had previously on the online app when they are ALREADY ON THE FUCKIN RESUME!? I just hate that. It's redundant

2 months ago

Edit

eternal_dancer

Just because I’m okay with working any day of the week does not mean I’m okay with working more than 5 days a week. Sure I’ll come in on Saturday, but you’re going to give me a different day off instead. Was all ready and excited to accept a job recently and they waited until days *after* the second interview to let me know it was Monday through Saturday, 6 days. Gutted saying no but I can’t do that every single week.

2 months ago

Edit

olubitkabuu

-why do you want to work here? -I need money to live

2 months ago

Edit

GetVaccinated89

Why would you want them to read your LinkedIn profile over your resume???

2 months ago

Edit

BlackAsphaltRider

My linked in says more about what I've done and who I am than a resume does, simply due to the amount of space allotted on there. However, if they're only spending 6-8 seconds on your resume, they're 100% not looking at your LinkedIn until prior to an actual interview or your resume was interesting.

2 months ago

Edit

biochemnerd12

1. Why do you give me positive feedback, tell me that you will contact me and are interested in me, but then never actually reach out after interviewing with 5+ people? 2. Why do I have to interview more than 4 people for this position? I am not going for CEO or anything higher up. 3. Why do I have to give a seminar presentation when no one cares to sit through the 1 hour talk?

2 months ago

Edit

JereRB

1. Your position looks comfy. How would I snag that from you? 2. Given the pay offered and the experience required, I'm assuming compensation is also dispensed as bags of cheesy puffs. Am I correct? May I have a double? 3. You have a very comfortable-looking workplace. And secretary. Speaking of which, is she single? 4. Does orientation include an introduction to the local old boy's club? As well, which is the president's favorite putter? 5. Are you sure you have a HB-1 visa for \*every\* employee on the grounds? Coincidentally, when was the last time you were raided by the FBI? Because, you know, if what they're offering vs what they want is too ridiculous to be considered, you are obligated to oblige. They think a little more about their postings that way, yes.

2 months ago

Edit

Causerae

😂

2 months ago

Edit

Tomgirl17

Frankly if I had a comfortable job I would absolutely say this stuff,id just leave my current job out of it so they can't contact it.

2 months ago

Edit

lexiecalderaxo

You can say these things, but you won't get the job

2 months ago

Edit

scarlettskadi

Sometimes it's worth it just to let people know you're not putting up with their bullshit.

2 months ago

Edit

WROL

If you want people to work here why do you treat the applicant like shit?

2 months ago

Edit

i-hate-celery

I'm saving this post for personal usage. Some of my potential employers need to hear this.

2 months ago

Edit

atypicalthrowaway69

Don’t schedule me for an interview only to open said interview telling me I’m overqualified. If you list a job as remote/wfh, and it’s in the title, and at the bottom of the listing it says it’s not remote/wfh, you make me scream You can auto populate my info from previous applications if I apply for more than one listing. But I still have to manually enter the demographic info each time? And on top of that you have it spread over multiple pages? Stop doing this!

2 months ago

Edit

SmokedStrawberries23

Why continue the hiring process when you cant give me my asking salary

2 months ago

Edit

xb4r7x

Definitely shouldn't use LinkedIn as your CV. Make your resume full length.

2 months ago

Edit

Supersix4

After about 7 months of hundreds of applications and countless interviews, if I don't get a reply after 7 days no matter what stage it's at, I email and say thank you for your time, despite this being an interesting role, there are other companies who better match the requirements for me as an employee. I have decided to move forward with more suitable companies.

2 months ago

Edit

Dustin_Bromain

Lol if only

2 months ago

Edit

KineticKidd

I know how you feel about your job, but how do you REALLY feel about your job?

2 months ago

Edit

Dustin_Bromain

The Economy and the job market are broken

2 months ago

Edit

johnnyshepherd22

​ * The client's name is not a secret if you tell me a minute after you told me you couldn't * Combining three jobs into one position lets me know you're not only cheap but desperate * Drug testing me from 2k miles away despite the fact I'll never meet my coworkers face to face and that I work in digital marketing -- and not behind the wheel of a school bus -- will guarantee my negative test results will have been masterfully faked * I've been fired from half the jobs on my resume and I'm totally fine with that * Companies that express concern I won't be able to get up to speed on their antiquated proprietary software are not companies I am interested in joining * You can't afford me * I am always aware you never work for me or have my best interest

2 months ago

Edit

TrappedDervesh

I treat an interview like the two way process it is and there have been time I have said to employers in emails and to their faces stuff like: 1. That's not on me, you should have hired me for a shift I was available at, I'm not available at the time you now require me when it was already made clear when I am definitely not available. 2. I'm qualified for much more and applied for such and such a position not this one which is way below my level. Had I been interested in it I'd have no shame applying for that lower one, but I'm not interested so there's no point trying to pitch me a position I saw but chose not to apply for. 3. I'm a seasoned freelancer with my own rates, so to pitch me 20% of that, out if the blue, and demanding I register with your agency, when over the phone calls I made it clear that your offer is not going to cut it and I'd rather you send me a brief and I'll send you a quote, you still sending me an email with this offer, on an outdated email address which also I told you about in the call you made to me, is plain rude. Please do not expect me to register with you. And stuff like this. Edit to add: There was this one time someone called me and started rambling on about a company and a position, and I was so fucking confused because I couldn't catch either the name or the title. They called and immediately went into 'we received your CV for this position at this company, so we'd like to ask you how much are you being paid at your current place' type shit. When they finally breathed enough for me to get the name of the company and title I told them very clearly I applied at no such place and I've never heard of this company's name and I applied to several so I'd know, and that particular position I never applied for, so if you got my resume from somewhere or someone, please at least check to see if it's updated and if it is, you'll see that I'm already working at a much higher position. No I'm not interested thank you, maybe some other time for a better option.

2 months ago

Edit

spinfip

I want to work in [field] because I have the capacity to do labor, and you have money, so we can do a mutually beneficial exchange.

2 months ago

Jobs For You