Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Told my boss I'm leaving and they offered me a big raise to stay on. What should I do?

2 months ago

|

I was recently offered a job on roughly the same money, but an industry I'm much more interested in. Aside from that I've been at my current company for 5 years and have really been itching for a change for around 2 of those. While I haven't seen the figure yet, my boss said he would get back to me with a significant offer to keep me on, and allow me to largely forge my own role. Should I go back to my other job and say I've been offered a raise, is there a way to do this tactfully to perhaps encourage them to match the number?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

lolikamani

Leave. This rarely ends well.

2 months ago

Edit

BrochachosNachos

They are buying time to find your replacement. Everyone you work with also knows that you don't really want to work there very much. It's best to move on

2 months ago

Edit

Gryffindor_Huff

Never accept a counter offer. You looked elsewhere for a reason. The majority of people who accept counter offers leave within a year or less, either by choice or they're fired after a replacement is found.

2 months ago

Edit

plaze6288

I understand that completely if he accepts the counter offer he can stay at the company get the additional training and raise and then in 6 months look for another job again for 5-10% more! Win win for him

2 months ago

Edit

ctk041289

Accepting a counter offer and getting that pay raise sounds great. But, you now have an immense target on your back. Higher-ups will know you as the disloyal one and will do their best to to find a cheaper alternative. You can notify your potential employer about the counter but only do so when you have a figure. If/when you get that new salary, call the potential employer and explain to them that you have received a counter and would like to do one of three things - 1) stay with your current employer 2) ask for a pay increase to get closer/match your counter or 3) decline the pay raise and accept the initial pay rate. Don't be too confident and ask for them to match your counter figure unless you're comfortable with them potentially walking away. Just remember, you spent five years and they finally gave you a pay raise. A new opportunity is willing to match your current salary (pre-counter) and you're more interested in that industry any way. Best of luck!

2 months ago

Edit

Mr_Roger_That

Agree

2 months ago

Edit

1xbittn2xshy

Agreed. Once you've stated your intention to leave, leave you must. If not? The same things driving you to look for a new job will still be there, you'll just be paid more to tolerate them. Plus, your company will no longer trust you and will eventually resent having to bribe you to stay. Be gracious, be grateful, be gone.

2 months ago

Edit

jobbytree1

When I got a raise at my previous company this was the situation I was in, granted my employer offered it without me asking. Getting a raise made me happy... but those feelings of happiness subsided when I realized nothing really changed (besides making ~5% more). If you don't like the place, it's VERY unlikely any additional amount of money they will offer will change that. For me, money wasn't the issue, so that's likely why I had the reaction I had.

2 months ago

Edit

RetiredAerospaceVP

You are playing with fire. Why weren’t they paying you more all along? They have panicked and this is a desperation move. Just know the vast majority of the time this scenario ends poorly- you stay you get raise and in there to six months they fire you. You have been seen as “disloyal” and are no longer one of them. They need time to find your replacement. You will have lost the other job opportunity. I see numbers of 85-90% this goes badly

2 months ago

Edit

texasusa

I had a employee of mine tell me she was leaving and I asked her what will it take for her to stay ? She replied match the offer. We did and she declined it. Her words were " why did it take leaving to get a raise " ? I thought that was a significant response and I have never forgot that.

2 months ago

Edit

myopini0n

Agreed. Thank them for the offer, but that you’ve already accepted the new role.

2 months ago

Edit

valleysally

Say you appreciate the offer but decide to pursue this new opportunity. You don't need to go into details or explain yourself.

2 months ago

Edit

DirtyPenPalDoug

They likely are trying to draw this out so you loose the offer. No. Decline, get out, get new job.

2 months ago

Edit

Desertbro

They get you to accept, then *"accounting can only approve 1/3 of what we thought".* The fact they didn't give any numbers up front shows, they don't intend to give good numbers.

2 months ago

Edit

UnderTheFishHook

It's never a great thing to accept a counter offer. I've always thought that if a company can give me whether it be +20% or match the salary I was offered in another company, why would they wait for me to leave before they offer it? And eventually, say you do take the counter offer - you said you were interested in a differennt industry. You'll leave after a while, why not leave now and start fresh already?

2 months ago

Edit

ZenRidge

You have wanted to leave for 2 years. Nothing is going to change but money. You'll still be unhappy.

2 months ago

Edit

jordyeedee

This is the way. Plus its an industry that OP is interested in, they should go for it

2 months ago

Edit

Low_Lychee_4033

If you want to stay I'd really stick it to them and say if they backpack the raise for 6 months. I hate when companies do this. It's only a priority to give you a raise when it's going to directly hurt them. Personally I have never been able to stay on a job that did this too me, if I was worth a raise why didn't I get one? Why did you offer one as I was walking out the door.

2 months ago

Edit

Background_Touchdown

Leave. That's the post.

2 months ago

Edit

Onlyeshua

Leave. Once they bribe you they’ll do it again. If you’re unhappy that won’t change. Money doesn’t give joy and fulfillment. If your heart says leave then stick to it. Stop being bought. This is the problem with people. Everyone has a price to be bought? People buy in to so much BS and still wonder why they have zero happiness or joy in life. You gonna be a sucker or do what’s right for you?

2 months ago

Edit

HarrysonTubman

>and allow me to largely forge my own role. I've heard phrasing like this before, and 9/10 times it's hot air. At the end of the day, your boss had a certain business need filled, and hired you to fill it. Just because you got a new offer doesn't change that. Once you accept the counter, he's gotten what he wants and doesn't have any real motivation to make good on the promise. It may not be that he's being dishonest, more so that there will be a million things going on and the work that actually needs to be done will take precedent over making sure you're fulfilled. >Should I go back to my other job and say I've been offered a raise, is there a way to do this tactfully to perhaps encourage them to match the number? There isn't a definitive answer on this one. It's a question of the individual situation and how much risk you want to tolerate. I say risk because once you counter, legally they can pull the offer altogether. 19/20 that doesn't happen, but if it was a tough offer to get, and you're happy with the comp, sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you want to ask them to match, go for it, but there's no magic words that guarantees they will come up.

2 months ago

Edit

bennysteves

Can't believe the response I got in such a short time! Appreciate all your views and I think you've all made my deliberation much easier. Honestly the dread of quitting had kind of overshadowed how happy I was to get the job. Its stressful but deep down I know it's the right decision to leave.

2 months ago

Edit

BlackDogMagPie

All of the job hunting books say don’t take counter offers this just gives your employer time to find your replacement. In particular, the book “Headhunters Hiring Secrets” talks about situations where it ended badly for the candidates. Where the former employer bad mouths the former employee for revenge.

2 months ago

Edit

DLS3141

Think about the real reasons you wanted to leave in the first place. Is more money going to fix those? Is more money going to make you more interested in your job? Is it going to fix your dissatisfaction with management? Also think about if they’re willing to do this now, why not before you became dissatisfied enough to look for other work? Often, the counteroffer is just a strategy to remove your leverage and delay your departure until they can boot you on their terms.

2 months ago

Edit

bobbitsholiday

It’s a trap

2 months ago

Edit

ratchet-up

I agree with what others have said that you should not accept the counteroffer from your current employer. As for requesting a counter-counteroffer from your new employer, regardless of tact, requesting one is always a risk. Based on what you've said so far, you're interested in the new employer because of their industry. Before taking the risk, consider what you can reliably know or infer based on how cool, successful, reliable, committed to you the new employer is. Is it worth the risk? If you are willing to take the risk, you can mention the counteroffer from your old employer to your new employer depending on timing and existing communication. When is your start date at the new employer? When is your last day at the old one? Did you already say you accept the current offer? Has it been signed? Does the new employer know what you currently make? What are the benefits comparison between the two? Depending on a mixture of these factors, you can email the new employer saying that you received a counteroffer from your current employer, an $XX difference at $XXX and X%. You are grateful for the offer of $XXX/base with ::benefits:: from the new employer. Based on X, Y, Z, and your own internal analysis of ::Job Title:: salaries, you're hoping there is potential to adjust to the counteroffer by X% from my current employer to $XXX. Hope this helps!

2 months ago

Edit

SmashinCetacean

It’s unlikely they’re being honest with you here…

2 months ago

Edit

NotsocuriousOrpheus

Screw your boss for not giving you the raise earlier, it only shows that he knew your worth before you threatened to leave. If you bring value to the company, he should have thought of that earlier. Just leave and be happy brother/sister

2 months ago

Edit

Dontbehorrib1e

Leave. They could've given you the money before. Trust me, leave.

2 months ago

Edit

Frisak

Wise words.

2 months ago

Edit

HawkResident5982

It’s a trap!

2 months ago

Edit

tinkerbellonfire

Leave. If they could have paid you that all along why did they not…. Get out and focus on what your really interested in.

2 months ago

Edit

Kongtai33

They shoulda taught about it before

2 months ago

Edit

wishcometrue

I would make you the offer and then immediately start looking for your replacement. My goal would be to keep you working short term, and then replace you asap. Over the 40 years I've been contracting this is a common practice.

2 months ago

Edit

Defan3

You have wanted to leave for 2 years. You obviously want out. More money should not change your mind. You will still be unhappy. It is not worth it to stay in a job you are not happy with.

2 months ago

Edit

a_tiny_ant

They could have paid you that all this time, they chose not to.

2 months ago

Edit

Frisak

Leave. Don’t make the same mistake I did. The worst decision I’ve ever taken in my short career is to accept a counter offer. Your employer will be resentful, if possible they will try to replace you; sabotage you and exploit you in order to “justify” the salary increase. Leave! Godspeed

2 months ago

Edit

Master-Opportunity25

Don’t do it. Just take the new offer and move on. If you’ve already signed an offer, negotiating now will not go well. And when jobs offer a raise like that they 1) knew they could have paid you more before and chose not to, and 2) will fire you once they find a replacement. Also, if you haven’t signed the offer let yet: don’t offer two weeks at the old job until you have secured the new job, including a signed offer and completed background check. Even a verbal acceptance of the new job’s salary is something you don’t want to reneg on.

2 months ago

Edit

Star_dusT_T

Do not stay.

2 months ago

Edit

cloudpuncher9

Dont take it. Let's say they give you a 10k raise. Sounds great right? But a lot of times they will now use that time to search for your replacement and in 6 months you're replaced and they only had to pay you 5k to do it on their terms.

2 months ago

Edit

abb2158

Leave.

2 months ago

Edit

NerdProfessional

**It is not the question if** you will leave that boss, **but when**. Most of the candidates that accept counteroffers leave in the next 9 months. And companies don't like those who wanted to leave. They always feel like you betrayed them by trying to leave. I also see that sometimes companies start to look for your replacement, and that the employee gets fired. However, employees sometimes stay only becouse they want to save some money. In the end, keep in mind that you have invested time in looking for a new job, interviews, maybe take-home assessments and that you will need to do it again.

2 months ago

Edit

ccg0306

Never stay after that.

2 months ago

Edit

plaze6288

The only thing I would do in your position is maybe consider staying for a short period of time just so that you could now say when you go to look for a new job what you were doing at your old job was your position and your pay. I don't know if that really makes sense but basically you would be scamming your boss into thinking that you're going to stay at this company but you're not. After you get this raise get the training or whatever you would need to learn your new role you would immediately start to look for this position somewhere else for hopefully even more money! Only saying this because I feel like you put a Target on your back now and even if you decide to stay it's only a matter of time before they decide to terminate you

2 months ago

Edit

Physical_Butterfly77

This same thing happened to me several years ago. Put in my notice and management tried to keep me on, but I made a commitment to the new company and so I left. My word is all I have and if I give you my word, then I’m good for it. Staying on will only delay the inevitable. If your current employer valued the work you were doing, you wouldn’t have to resign to make more money. Time to leave port and sail to a new sunset.

2 months ago

Edit

R_Ulysses_Swanson

I disagree that it is always bad, but the counteroffer should at least be looked at, seriously. That said, I generally do agree that it is time to move on. If they really want you, need you, see if the old job is still open in a few months. Then you really hold all the power. But you're not irreplaceable, and they know that, you should know it too. And it works both ways.

2 months ago

Edit

Cybermagetx

From what I've seen, most leave even after accepting a counter offer. Most of those are fired.

2 months ago

Edit

echobase7

I just recently left a job where they offered me a promotion and a raise of about 30k per year to stay. I was very stressed over it for a couple of days until I realized that the fact I was considering saying no to a generous offer like that told me everything. I left anyway. They didn’t give me a raise or promotion for six years and then when I told them I was leaving they all of a sudden found something to offer me? Fuck them.

2 months ago

Edit

dudeind-town

Yes, you’ll get a massive raise for the time they need to find and get your replacement up to speed. Then you’re out the door

2 months ago

Edit

2A4Lyfe

LEAVE, I ACCEPTED A COUNTER OFFER AND IT WAS SUPER AKWARD AND I WAS INSECURE ABOUT MY POSITION...JUST GO MAN DONT DO IT

2 months ago

Edit

xashl

Is this really a question? The fact they are trying to offer you more now that you are leaving shows they knew your worth all along. Agreed w/ the very first comment - this won’t end well!

2 months ago

Edit

AcanthocephalaSure19

During COVID I’ve seen a lot of companies counter offer in order to keep employees. I don’t know what the right move is, but it isn’t rare right now. Finding employees is really difficult right now. Personally I’d stay with current company, accept their raise and if still unhappy in 6 months, move along.

2 months ago

Edit

peachmelons

Unless you have a new position immediately lined up, accept it and stay until you're ready to jump ship. If you were ready to leave because you weren't getting what you wanted or needed out of that job, then that won't change even with that raise.

2 months ago

Edit

Mojojojo3030

Your phrasing isn't super clear to me. Does "other job" in last paragraph mean job 1 or job 2.

2 months ago

Edit

NyuOsuGwu

If the new job excites you, take it. You wanted a job for 2 years already. If your current company ever downsizes, often the people who tried to quit are the first axed. Regardless, staying at a job you’ve wanted to live for years can really harm your happiness.

2 months ago

Edit

peepoook

It really depends on the company I think. I think the best choice is probably to leave but the best outcome would be a raise or match from this *new* company based on what your current employer is offering.

2 months ago

Edit

myeye0

Leave!

2 months ago

Edit

Bodark

Please, please. Do not take the counter offer. They will just look for a replacement, fire you, and then pay the replacement what they’re paying you now.

2 months ago

Edit

Jammer250

This happened to me a few jobs ago. Had an offer from another company, but got a 20% raise and took it to stay on the same job. Higher salary didn’t change the fact I still hated the job and company. Ended up leaving for even more money about 2 months after the first offer happened. Worked out well in the end, but point is even with a promise of more money or different responsibility, it often doesn’t change anything.

2 months ago

Edit

redddit00

Leave. It doesn't end well

2 months ago

Edit

zeplin455

I once accpeted a counter offer and still ended up leaving after 5 months. Would never accept a counter offer again. Also had this weird thing happen where I was severly overworked and asked for a demotion and less pay for less stress, I got a raise and more stress instead so now I'm looking for other options

2 months ago

Jobs For You