Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

unemployed for almost a year now. I don't know how to keep remaining positive.

8 months ago

|

I'm usually a software engineer but I've been out of work for almost a year now. Every now and then I used to get interviews but it seems the longer I'm unemployed the less interest people have in me. It's only natural for someone to think "If he were any good, someone would have snatched him up by now". I've been using this time to grind out some leetcode stuff, but even if I can solve the problems it's still not good enough. I'm beginning to think it's in the way I present myself or speak. I think I may be telegraphing lack of confidence, desperation, or a depressed emotional state. It's hard for me to be aware of that because I'm just trying my best to climb out of this hole but I'm sure it's glaringly obvious when someone who has interviewed many, many other candidates listens to me. My coping mechanism up until now has been "You're just looking at this the wrong way" and "You just need to keep trying" or "You're just feeling sorry for yourself". All of it could be true but I also realize I'm simply avoiding my emotions or denying myself any acknowledgement of my issues. I would like to actually improve my emotional state. To make an analogy, it feels like I let all the air out of my tires. And all of the advice I hear or encouragements I give myself tell me I need to upgrade my engine (practice more) or just wipe my windshield or turn on my defogger (look at things differently). And like a car whose tires are growing more deflated by the day, I feel it harder to keep marching on. The very air I breathe feels stale and stagnant. At times it feels suffocating. I can tune up the engine; I can wipe my windshields; but I can't just create more air by myself. I've never felt like this before, because I've never had to deal with being so isolated for so long. Even before I was unemployed, and even before covid-19, it felt like I always held positions where I was isolated from peers. Sometimes I'd go months at a time without having a real conversation with anyone. I live alone and I've also moved around a lot so I don't get to keep friends for too long. The first couple of months to a year of this was okay... but I believe I've developed genuine mental health issues from living like this for several years. Even now I feel a massive amount of anxiety just typing this out because I am making myself vulnerable by reaching out. I feel like something really bad is about to happen... even though I know nothing will. I'm not as sharp as I used to be; I'm not as smart as I used to be; I can't concentrate like I used to; I can't focus on anything. It's like my brain wants me to fix the more fundamental issues on Maslow's hierarchy of needs... and a sense of belonging and social needs takes precedent over self-actualization.

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

mikolajpokoj

DM with a link to your resume and let's chat

8 months ago

Edit

sn3akybr33z3

Dude keep your head up. I had to quit my last job because I donated an organ, was out of work for 6 months and my job search started January of 2020. Haven’t been employed for a year and a half. Nothing yet but as soon as 2020 ended I’ve at least been getting a lot of interviews compared to last year. As a fellow long term unemployed person I wish you the best. Things will turn around for us, but it’s up to us to make it happen.

8 months ago

Edit

ScrambyEggs33

Same here re: a year and a half. It’s tough. Hope you find something, soon!

8 months ago

Edit

roguejedi1

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. If you want to, shoot me a DM, we can organise a call or something, do a mock interview and I can give you feedback to let you know how to improve? Stay strong! :)

8 months ago

Edit

Proper_Scratch4914

Thanks! That's extremely generous of you to lend out your time like that. I really appreciate it and I'll keep your profile in my pocket. It was already helpful to put my feelings into words and have them heard.

8 months ago

Edit

godolphinarabian

There are fiscal incentives for companies to hire the unemployed right now, it might be a good time to really amp up your applications. My colleague currently applying is submitting 100+ apps a week, it’s a numbers game.

8 months ago

Edit

guineapiggirla

Wow how is he doing 100 a week

8 months ago

Edit

jillsvag

A lot of what you said resonates with me. I’ve also been unemployed for almost a year. I also have the added problem of my age. Most employers don’t want to hire someone over 45. Maybe try to get a lower level job just so you can start at a company and work your way up.

8 months ago

Edit

Nerdlinger42

It sounds like you're doing the right things. Post this to /r/CSCareerQuestions, talk about your current experience and such, you'll probably get good advice. I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

8 months ago

Edit

Proper_Scratch4914

Thank you, I've reposted it to that subreddit. And thank you also for your empathy.

8 months ago

Edit

cleo-leo

I'm going to start by saying it is very normal and expected to feel so exhausted and beat down after trying to prove yourself and having no one take a chance on you for so long. However, reading your post I did find myself relating to you just a bit too much not to warn you that part of the feeling if isolation/inadequacy sounds like it could be caused by clinical depression. I've been diagnosed with depression for nearly a decade so I know what it sounds/feels like. I am definitely not a doctor but I'd highly recommend you see one and talk about how you've been feeling and see if treatment could be right for you. It's totally OK to feel the way youre feeling even if you do not have depression. It's like climbing Mt Everest. But it might be worth investigating if you could get some help with the mental part of it that may be the cause of your overwhleming emotional fatigue. If you need antidepressants or therapy and you're not getting them, suddenly it's like you're trying to climb Mt Everest without hiking shoes. Go see if you need some new boots.

8 months ago

Edit

RazzBeryllium

Yes - OP needs to go speak with their doctor. Everything about this reminded me of myself before I was diagnosed. I knew I was sad/unhappy, but when I actually spoke to my GP she felt I was so depressed she considered having me sent to a psych ward. Sometimes it takes someone on the outside to make you see these things clearly.

8 months ago

Edit

beefandfoot

What kind of job are you looking for?

8 months ago

Edit

Proper_Scratch4914

Right now being a software engineer is what I'm most qualified for

8 months ago

Edit

benzj

Keep your head up, the right job will come to you, good luck!

8 months ago

Edit

aquaberryamy

Dude start Wellbutrin. Fixed the brain fog right up. Maybe if you can’t find software engineering job, you could find some basic IT work to do in the meantime. For example I do IT for a bank. But hospitals need them, IT solution companies need them. You could probably be an L2 if you wanted to depending on your experience

8 months ago

Edit

Weary_Challenge6541

So you recommend it? My therapist has suggested it but I am terrified of taking meds. Mom put me on meds as a kid and it turned me into an anxiety-ridden zombie for most of elementary and middle school.

8 months ago

Edit

apostrophe_misuse

If it helps I was unemployed for 50 weeks before finally getting a new position. And I really like the company. It would suck to get the occasional interview for a position I was perfect for and then get turned down. Or worse apply for a position that I was perfect for and never hearing anything. But I kept applying because sooner or later, I knew something had to land. You might think about taking a part time gig just to get you working and it helping your mindset. Something like a call center or pizza place depending on how covid-comfortable you are. I wouldnt go full time unless you need to for covering bills. That way you can still job search and not get too burnt out. Also, there's a subteddit or two that will take a look at your resume. And if needed and feasible, see your doctor. Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

8 months ago

Edit

wildbortami

Keep your head up. I just started at my new job after 9 months of unemployment. What helped me was to change my strategy. 1) I hired a resume writer that helped me hit keywords and make my points actionable/results oriented. I ended up rewriting their resume to sound more “me” while keeping the good parts. 2). Started applying to jobs that I felt I was only partially qualified for, in a higher salary and responsibility bracket. I’m really bad at not thinking my previous work is good enough and undervaluing myself. 3) I searched out companies that were past startup phase, and were in active growth mode, but not fully corporate. I want to work for people, not a corporate robot, but I also want them to be stable enough to pay me a good salary. This means they actually look at the applications. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to find these types of positions and to research the company because they’re not listed on Indeed. Since I have been home since April, and I’m a bit antisocial anyway, I had a lot of anxiety about going back to work and interacting with people again. And I also panicked about not having time anymore to do all things I was doing, like playing with my dogs and cleaning house. I don’t do well in public anymore. I get the jeebies. Covid has also messed with my mental health. Thankfully, my new position is remote (but the office is still in my city) and I only have to interact with people during stand ups and on slack.

8 months ago

Edit

bennyllama

Hey man. Software Dev here. Been through cycles of unemployment -> employment. So I have a feel for the interview process. Send me your resume and then maybe we can go over some stuff with interviews. I can help do some mock technical interviews as well.

8 months ago

Edit

bleh89

Corporate recruiter here. Happy to take a look at your resume and see if I have anyone in my network that are looking. Have you considered any HRIS jobs through hospital systems? I just know they've been hiring like crazy. Feel free to DM me with your info if you're comfortable and I'm happy to support how I can.

8 months ago

Edit

NickDoes

First, if you’re struggling with your mental state I’d suggest therapy, journaling, or some other form of internal development - it’s totally normal and a worthy pursuit! As for getting your career kickstarted, I cannot recommend networking enough. By networking I mean sending messages to professionals who have the position you want on LinkedIn, reaching out to past-colleagues you’ve had positive experiences with, and cold-emailing. Ask for a “brief chat” to learn about their work. Do NOT ask for a job straight away but foster a human connection. It’s more about the practice of talking to people in a professional setting than negotiating a position, but it also increases your chances of getting a lucky job. Good luck and happy searching!

8 months ago

Edit

DenverBuff1987

A few thoughts below. I'm not saying any of this is the case but just trying to help. 1) What made you be unemployed? If a reasonable recruiter would frown upon the reason, white lie as much as you can. If you can't tell a white lie and must tell the truth, try to still bend the truth in a favorable light. Don't be a pity party. 2) Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself are you honestly on a full-time job hunt? Especially since you are unemployed, you have a ton of free time to look. I feel like some people complain about how much a job search sucks when all they are doing are filling out 5 1-click ads a week. You really should be spending a majority of the daytime looking for jobs 3) I infer you are applying for jobs that meet your current skillset. Just make sure this is accurate. You could spend a year applying for jobs you arent qualified for, hoping a company will take a chance on you, but this is in fact incredibly unlikely. You may need further education 4) Perhaps you got a generous salary, maybe even overpaid for your skill level, in your last role. As much as it sucks, you may just have to accept a lower salary than what you were previously making. But just think how sure its a lower salary, but your mental health will be improved 5) Your job hunting methods clearly aren't working. Recruiters get a bad rap but I got my last job through a recruiter. Maybe try Meetup networking events, anything helps If it helps you cope, know that its a significant number of people are unemployed or underemployed for YEARS. It doesn't make you any less of a person There are plenty of people who on paper have amazing careers, but are still in debt up to their eyeballs and may hate their lives for a variety of reasons.

8 months ago

Edit

inima23

I understand that you feel like you have nothing left to give and this year/ last year it's all a blur and even the most social people are feeling down. It's tough. I'm isolated too and even though employed having different kinds of issues dealing with toxic people. I've also had long stints of unemployment in the past and the way I dealt with it is basically fake the enthusiasm even when I felt like dying on the inside. Not suggesting you do that, but just sharing how I did it. Basically pushed myself and pushed until I had options and pushed some more to do the job. Sometimes getting into a new job shifted the depression and the world didn't feel so rough for a while. It does catch up with you, so working actively on your mental well-being should become a main focus. First step, learning to meditate and center yourself. Second, get a therapist or watch and Google how you feel to determine your behavior and thinking patterns. Understanding yourself and what to work on is huge. There's meds too, but that has varied results for different people. It sounds like you're capable and qualified and many people would kill to have your skills these days. You should go in with the knowledge and attitude that you have something to offer that others can't. But I know it's tough to project that energy when you're not feeling it. So getting to the point of feeling it is key. Affirmations, working on self-love ( I know I hate the term too but there's something to it for sure), manifestation. Sitting down and writing out how you would like to work and visualizing yourself doing a job that you're happy in sounds hokey, I know ( I'm a cynic too) but it really helps frame out your wishes and makes it easier to focus in on what you want and letting go of things that you don't really want, but are pursuing for the sake of " applying to jobs". In terms of the interviewing process, it's not so much about the gap, but it's about the story about the gap. People love stories and love to feel like there's a purpose and reason for things. Give them one. Give them a good reason that will make them think. Oh wow, that makes perfect sense! It may sound dishonest and in a perfect world there wouldn't be a need for any of this, but frankly I haven't found that honesty is valued in our society and more often you get punished or judged for an honest reason. I can't honestly tell my boss that hey, I'm depressed today and feel like shit, so maybe don't bully me today. I can't say that without it being held against me or worse fired. So, what choice am I left with? I'm sure you wish you could say, hey I have a one-year gap due to the fact that none of you fuckers will hire me but that won't fly either. You get what I mean. You have to do what you have to do. Sorry for the uber long post, but fwiw I figured I'd offer something. Wishing you the best of luck and look forward for the post when you get your perfect job!

8 months ago

Edit

Digital_Antelope

realize nothing and no one is gonna pull you out of this but yourself. Can't get a job? Up the scales, get a level higher of crazier Is either do this or give up, and give up gives you more problem than it solves So GO. AFTER. IT. No matter what it takes. You don't fucking care, because you're a survivor. Now go get it.

8 months ago

Edit

Proper_Scratch4914

You're right. Maybe I needed to hear this from someone else instead of hearing it from myself all the time.

8 months ago

Edit

PizzaLov3

If you're doing leetcode are you adding this stuff to your portfolio and applying for jobs?

8 months ago

Edit

TheOtherSkeptic

I see a lot of comments here addressing the job search situation. ( I feel you there). Sounds like some serious social isolation. I know how it feels, you can get through it. If you got family you can talk too, I'd try talking to them more. Try to engage in conversation more, even if it's a "how you doing today" remark to the mailman or a neighbour it counts as interaction. Also try to see a therapist if you're jot seeing one already. They can help you more than anyone on reddit. Wiith the current situation, you might have to look at online options in that case. Also this is reddit, try to engage in any sub related to your interests. A two minute exchange in the comments is better than no exchange at all. That's all I can really tell you, a professional would serve you better advice than I. I wish you the best in your job search and in life. Stay strong ,don't be afraid to put yourself out there and I hope everything works out for you

8 months ago

Edit

[deleted]

[deleted]

8 months ago

Edit

Existing-Technology

It must be really bad out there. Even a really bad software engineer with an attitude problem and a chip on his shoulder could land a job under normal circumstances I would think due to demand. I would use your time best you can to be productive just to say you did some things, take classes work on your house/hobbies.

8 months ago

Edit

sadhvi9

I can feel your pain, every single word you have said reflects what I have been going through. I feel you have expressed each and every thought of mine. I am also in the same position as you are in. Have been searching for over 10 months now. And reading all the comments below 😭😭😭🧡❤❤❤. Thank you for making me also feel like many people are cheering for me as well!! So thank you a lot and Hang in there... Good luck with your search. We will get through this.

8 months ago

Edit

Ricky_Rollin

If you’ve been a bit of a shut in it wouldn’t hurt to try to call up a few people a day and just get to talking. Maybe take a lower paying job somewhere, even if it’s fast food, you can work on your interpersonal skills.

8 months ago

Edit

Locksmith_Majestic

It sounds like you need a two-pronged approach, with one possibility of a Career Coach and I do have a good one in my area but, I won't post that information openly due to the likely "heavy" demand for their services about now. From what I recall, the Coach's services begin at about $400 dollars (U.S.) and go up from there with 'Extra' perks and privileges at various levels. Next thing is, if you have specific skills to showcase, get a Webmaster to build a website _specifically branded to you!_. Highlight everything you know how to do, how you approach projects, manage your time and would _(if given the opportunity)_ be a mentor to junior software engineers! Businesses need to know EXACTLY what values you add to projects, how you _(might)_ reduce time to prototype, or completion of Alpha and Beta level coding, or anything "of value". ~ Give no quarter to critics if they e-mail, text or otherwise message you. You are not here to "please" critics, you are here to "bring value" to projects! (Remember to thank everybody who helps you now in about 3 years when EVERYTHING is better! And know even if you cannot build a Tesla from scratch, maybe a Chevy Cruze is all somebody needs to _"drive"_ their success forward with your help!)

8 months ago

Edit

How is this “advice” ever upvoted? Christ.

8 months ago

Edit

LORD_WOOGLiN

<3

8 months ago

Edit

b33bow

no advice... but I hear you loud and clear. It's hard right now and has been since last year. I hope things change for both of us this year <3

8 months ago

Edit

Bleyster

As a software engineer, I'm sure there are services that you can provide in freelancing. Try Upwork and find out what services are provided by people with your credentials. I'm no expert, as a matter of fact I'm kinda idiot but the reason because recruiters seems to lose interest is because you have not been working on your skills lately. Also try to hide everything that could make you look bad, like the fact that you have been looking for jobs desperately. Don't let your emotions get in the way of an interview. Sell yourself as a product during this interaction

8 months ago

Edit

bunnysnitch

First off, anxiety causes you to stop using your logic part of your brain as much. So, that could be why you feel a little bit slower. I would highly suggest reaching out to a therapist if you can. Job suggestion, have you been doing any contract work? If you can get a foot in the door sometimes they hire you because they know you. Maybe try that? Good luck!

8 months ago

Edit

DeterminedAndNerdy

There can be a vicious cycle of losing confidence in yourself, telegraphing this to others (incl. hiring managers) so they treat you differently than you deserve, self-fulfilling prophecy effect when your cognitive ability is impaired by your lack of confidence in your intelligence, getting bad outcomes, losing more confidence... You might benefit from reading up on "learned optimism." Hang in there, keep your chin up, and don't underestimate yourself -- things will improve.

8 months ago

Edit

MrBrandopolis

Start freelancing? Maybe you can find some work in Fiverr or start teaching programming?

8 months ago

Edit

214speaking

I remember going on what felt like a hundred interviews and it was tough, but you have to keep going on them until eventually you get that yes! Also I was wondering if you had contacted any staffing agencies near you? I worked with one before and had a lot of success.

8 months ago

Edit

curly-redhead

Im there with you. Sometimes you have to step away to get your head back in the game. For me, whenever i give myself permission to do this, something pops up. (Of course, im putting in the networking effort so actually its the payoff.). But when things slow, take a hint and relax. Go for a hike, meet a friend for a Covid safe walk and chat. Go for a jog. Grab a beer and a burger! Do other things that give you a sense of accomplishment - volunteer with a soup kitchen, take some free or affordable courses, read a book, paint the wall/ deck, clean the closet, or do something artistic. These are challenging times even for people who are working. Give yourself some credit. Take a breath. Im there too, hoping for success. You’re not alone.

8 months ago

Edit

beefandfoot

If you tell us your skillset, who knows you might find some remote job.

8 months ago

Edit

go_see

Something that helped me a lot when I was unemployed for an extended period was growing plants! I literally just had a mental break one day and it was either "go into that store and buy some seeds" or "do something permanently damaging." And maybe it sounds dumb, but it gave me a lot of hope to see the seeds sprout a few days later and watch them grow. It was a stark contrast to feeling so stagnant and stuck, a tangible reminder that progress is always there even if it looks different than we expect it to. Did it solve everything? No. I'm still reeling from the long-term effects of being unemployed and rejected over and over. But it gave me enough hope to keep going. Hang in there, OP. Your ship will come in. Edit: grammar

8 months ago

Edit

go_see

Also, in case no one's shared this resource yet, here's a tool to find therapists in your area :) there's even a way to search for lower-cost options. It's how I found my therapist and she's been really helpful with some bigger, buried issues! https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/counsellors

8 months ago

Edit

Surive123

18 months here, I feel your pain.

8 months ago

Edit

KaleidoscopeBig8567

hey there, I was in a similar shoes as your were. DM me and I can help.

8 months ago

Edit

Lolbyrinth

Are you me?

8 months ago

Edit

Charcharbinks23

You can do this. Say it early and often.

8 months ago

Edit

darkwingice

First let me tell you that you can do it, and then you gotta tell yourself you can do it. Keep your head up and do it methodologically like others suggested.

8 months ago

Edit

BadBossesfromHell

I don’t think being unemployed a year is that big of a deal. Carry yourself like you are proud and they won’t judge you. Don’t judge yourself. You’ll find another job.

8 months ago

Edit

radioflea

Op have you thought about expanding your horizons and applying to jobs in other parts of the country? Everyone is still working remotely so if you did land a job elsewhere you could likely put off relocation for another 6 months to a year if not longer. Also, Are you on Linkdin? that site has been booming for a solid 8 months now.

8 months ago

Edit

chickenboi8008

I've been unemployed for almost a year too (2 month furlough and then laid off 8 months ago, in engineering) and I just got a conditional job offer. I will say that I have been hearing back for interviews lately compared to last year. The gap isn't going to be a negative; it's understandable due to the pandemic. You just gotta keep applying but also make time to take care of your mental state. Be sure to do things that you enjoy. I know the constant rejections suck. You can let yourself be sad and disappointed for a bit but then you have to keep going. Keep applying. It's a numbers game. Fake it until you make it. Smiling during interviews will help you with your confidence. As long as you keep getting interviews, go to them and use them as practice; the more you do, the more comfortable you'll feel and you'll know what to say as you get asked more and more questions. You're very self-reflective so you know what you need to work on to be better and you can improve.

8 months ago

Edit

713youngboy

Maybe get an entry level position into the company you fit the best? Network with some people in said company and work your way up that way? Just a suggestion, praying for better days for you because, it reaches a point where cynicism takes over and it's hard to remember what makes you special. Just remember to keep on keeping on, this situation was given to you because you can handle it and defeat it.

8 months ago

Edit

hausautt

Sometimes it's luck and sometimes it depends on who is interviewing you. I have been out of a job for a year. I just got turned down today for a job after going through numerous stages. It started last December. The biggest problem that they don't give feedback when I ask them. At least they could of give me some idea what to improve on, it's competitive out there due to Covid 19. I just thought I had a good chance to get it. Nope... I have a job coach so immediately I told him that I wasn't successful then ask him if he got any call centre jobs. He gave me one company. Although I was disappointed, I always think it's not me. If I had somebody else who interviewed me, it might be different. Every interviewer or recruiter have their own thoughts on who to hire. If it wasn't Covid 19, I would of still had a good job. My GM and former supervisor had given references as well. Oh well back to the drawing board...

8 months ago

Edit

plrbear1028

Been unemployed since nov 2019 ... it’ll get better

8 months ago

Edit

awesem90

Read up on Jordan Peterson's lobster theory

8 months ago

Edit

shellulose

god me too dude, it's like being slowly crushed in a medieval torture device. honestly at this point im just looking in different fields too lol. best of luck to you.

8 months ago

Edit

RangeDragon

I know it may be hard but your gonna have to start searching friend groups or go to social gatherings to find new people. I would recommend going to church not just for people but for God also, God has also been there for me and can also be there for you. But if that isn’t your cup of tea I would go to a developer’s event, like Indi gaming events or join a group that specify in the programming languages you code in, most groups post of Facebook and are easy to find you just have to search. You have to remember you can’t do anything on your own but when your not alone it’s as if anything is possible. Also once you have a solid and trustworthy friends I wouldn’t leave them for a better job opportunity because you don’t want to break your bonds you worked so hard for and making the hard decision to not leave will increase your gratefulness in your heart even if you don’t realize it in the motion.

8 months ago

Edit

whatswrongwithmyhand

I would get any job, not just in software engineering or IT. The more you leave it, the worse the gap gets and the more depressed you get. I was unemployed for three years and eventually you literally become nothing at all due to unemployment.

8 months ago

Edit

lexaleidon

Just like most people in the comments, I also was unemployed. First, I took a break for nearly 3 years to learn iOS Dev and work on an idea that i had. Turned out its not for me, I spent 8 months job searching (my previous job field was online marketing where I have 7 years of experience in very successful Inc 500 & Inc 5000 companies), barely landed 4 interviews. Regarding interviews, I had 2 of those 1 after another, first one was the most unprofessional interview I've ever had, she didn't even care enough to listen and chatted with someone the entire time. I was also at a very low point in my life, just like you. The thing is, you have to shake off that feeling before an interview. Every interview is a new possibility. Also, don't be too harsh on yourself, so many people are feeling inadequate because they can't land a job. So did I. Too many times. I felt down, I felt depressed, I felt as though I'd never find a job. It's not you, let me tell you this, it's the job market. Too many people got laid off and they are all trying to land a new job. As for your mental health, I'm a very introverted and anti-social person, I have extreme anxiety just by thinking about going to a bar and meeting people. Despite being a very logical person, I'm sure that I've also developed a mental health issue. The first thing (which is a step towards a change) is to acknowledge that. I want to tell you something that's not really a cliche like "hang in there", but in reality, I can guarantee you that it's a matter of time before you land a job. You have to push through it though. And also, take care of your mental state, make sure you do things that make you happy. Take breaks from job searching and all.

8 months ago

Edit

maumay

What open source projects have you been working on in the time you have been out of work? There are more than enough out there to learn new technologies, keep your dev skills sharp and give you something else to talk about in interviews.

8 months ago

Edit

priyathomas26

I did connect with a career coach who specialized in job search which did help in speeding up the process. These professionals, with specific training in areas such as resume building, career planning and motivation, know how to look beyond what you see in yourself and how to find the best of what others see in you, in an effort to help you become a better professional. Hiring a coach may come with a price tag, but the long-term benefits it can bring you will hopefully make you happy. After all, this is about your career, about the next 40 or more years of your life. If you are curious to work with an expert in this field and want to learn more about how it all works - especially what this person can do - you can connect with them through [ACHNET](https://www.achnet.com?su=cqeskbxf)\- an online employee development platform that acts as a bridge between coach and you.

8 months ago

Edit

the-redgard

My job search date from August 2019 and I need to keep looking same area IT Technologies job or similar QA

8 months ago

Edit

Rhysieroni

No advice, just Hope something happens for you soon OP

8 months ago

Edit

Common_Man

Sorry but I can’t say much as I’m struggling similarly

8 months ago

Edit

AtlasTumult

Unemployed since April, I feel ya. I am worried about the gap on my CV as well but I found out that if I don't show pity/ashamed when I talk about it during interviews, the recruiter does not really mind and actually likes how determined I seem. You need to show that you're positive (I know it sounds like BS and can be reallky hard whenever you feel hopeless, but it is worth it). Don't hesitate to lie a little bit/embellish your CV gap, just to show that you have been active (you could say that you have been volunteering, or actively interviewing and that you have several final rounds int he coming weeks, or that you tutored students in CS, anything really). One figure to keep in minde: because of the pandemic, more than 250 million jobs have disappeared worldwide: you are not alone in this.

8 months ago

Edit

Pickleface32

Keep in mind that other people have it worse. As a guy who is terrified of debt, and pissed away his young 20s on a computer networking degree he didn't use, I don't care anymore. I just work a warehouse/driving jobs. Maybe just want less and just only desire survival. That's what I did at least. Was I happy with myself? Not exactly, but with my emotional and mental limitations, I knew this was the best path for me.

8 months ago

Edit

WolfgangBob

It's not about your 1 year break. Many people take one year break to do many things like travel, learn some new skill, or be with family. You hit the nail on the head that the real reason is how you present yourself. You're in a rut. Some ways out of that rut that I personally found to have worked: 1. Exercise 2. Sleep better 3. Keep a schedule 4. Talk to a friend. Get inspired about work or some ideas again. 5. If no good friend, hire a performance coach. 6. Do something you enjoy everyday besides the usual video games and porn. A new hobby. Better if it requires you to talk to someone. 7. Eat healthy, spend money on high quality food.

8 months ago

Edit

Bamilias

Volunteer or find an entry level part time job in the evening. No more than 20hrs a week.

8 months ago

Edit

Losingmymind2020

My brother is in the same field. It took him awhile and he was super worried. But he got a independent contractor gig and working his way up. It takes time man. Apply to some remote online jobs while u wait.

8 months ago

Edit

mindmelder23

I loved not working for a year enjoy it. I know several friends with college degrees and good backgrounds who were out of work two solid years during the 2008 financial crisis and all got back to making even more than they ever did before after that two years.

8 months ago

Edit

ivanoski-007

Dude, recruiters can smell insecurity and desperation a mile away, practice your interview skills, practice a lot with someone who can give you honest and constructive feedback. Dude aren't software engineers like in high demand right now?

8 months ago

Edit

priyathomas26

I did some changes to my job search strategy which definitely paid results. Finding an ally who specializes in job search is one of the fastest ways to speed up the process. These professionals, with specific training in areas such as resume building, career planning and motivation, know how to look beyond what you see in yourself and how to find the best of what others see in you, in an effort to help you become a better professional. You can ask for recommendations from your friends or search online for a coach. Regardless of where you decide to go, look for professionals who have years of experience, certifications, and strong customer testimonials. And of course, you will want to find one with whom you can work well. Hiring a coach may come with a price tag, but the long-term benefits it can bring you will hopefully make you happy. After all, this is about your career, about the next 40 or more years of your life. If you are curious to work with an expert in this field and want to learn more about how it all works - especially what this person can do - you can connect with them through [ACHNET](https://www.achnet.com?su=cqeskbxf) \- an online employee development platform that acts as a bridge between coach and you.

8 months ago

Edit

BPP1943

“Indeed” posts over 150 software engineering and developer jobs, Ericsjobs, LinkedIn too. My graduate school pal started his own specialty software developing firm in Chicago and made a fortune. My cousin writes software manuals in Boston and easily sends two kids to private universities.

8 months ago

Jobs For You