Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

What happened to the days when you just did one interview and knew whether or not you got the job? I'm tired of the 5 rounds plus skill test interview process

4 months ago

|

It just drags everything out and it's exhausting and nerve racking. I rather employers narrow down candidates they're interested in before even contacting anyone. Plus if you're working while trying to find a new job you constantly have to take time off and that gets suspicious. Why aren't these employers vetting applicants more strictly instead accepting everyone?

Want to comment? or with one click

Comments

Edit

You have reported this post

Man-0n-The-Moon

I can definitely relate. I recently applied to a big chemical company. I am working full time, but looking to get out of my current company. Here is how my process went: Phone interview - recruiter - half hour Phone interview - hiring manager - half hour Skills assessment Teams Interviews In person with two people - 1hr In person with hiring manager - 1hr In person with two more people - 1 hr In person with HR - half hour Current status: ghosted. It’s been over two weeks and my follow up email got no response.

4 months ago

Edit

uraniumtastesgood

Man, same. Was told by HR they had two spots to fill as an expansion to a couple of teams. Had a really great convo with HR. Then spoke with the immediate manager went great and on the spot had me talk to my potential future teammate to make sure they’d get along...fantastic. Spoke to the manager’s manager as a formality to make sure we had goals aligned. He alluded that it’d probably take a couple days to get the offer written up. Several days pass and a different manager speaks to me since he was the other manager adding to his team. Goes good...follows up immediately by email asking what times I’d prefer working. I spent probably 4 hours talking to everyone. A week goes by...nothing. I email HR asking if there was any word. Get a super short response stating they hadn’t come to a decision but they’re also considering an internal candidate. Guess the two spots was a lie. Over a month later not a damn word. I just don’t get ghosting someone after giving them 4 separate interviews and all the allusions to an offer coming. I honestly would be okay with something generic saying they went another way just for the peace of mind.

4 months ago

Edit

BuddyTubbs

I applied for a bank teller job once. Had three interviews until I gave up. I’m applying for a teller position for 12 dollars an hour, not branch manager.

4 months ago

Edit

MrZJones

I once had three interviews at McDonald's, each one with a different assistant manager because the last one had left. Did everything right, offered to close, they were all pleased. The manager said he'd call me after the last interview on a specific day and time. He never called. When I finally got him on the phone, he claimed the job had been filled. (Even though the Help Wanted sign was still up and the website said the position was still open) I was just so *mad*. It was a minimum wage job at *McDonald's*, and they *still* jerked me around for *months*.

4 months ago

Edit

cheap_dates

>What happened to the days when you just did one interview and knew whether or not you got the job? It went the way of the telephone booth, the cigarette vending machine and the typewriter. Technology often changes social behavior and not always for the better. Er, I got my first job, on the spot, after a 5 minute interview and I didn't even know what a resume was back then.

4 months ago

Edit

alwaystikitime

Yup. Same here. All they said was "we'll train you".

4 months ago

Edit

MrZJones

I'm even more tired of the "skill test before even a preliminary phone screening" process. I have a portfolio for a reason. If you want to make me do a small obviously-not-beneficial-for-the-company task at the very end of the process, maybe. But if you want me to program an entire game from scratch before I even talk to a human? Nope. Not doing that anymore (at least not for free).

4 months ago

Edit

sabre252

Yep. I’m a data scientist. I just say no now. I have a GitHub and a good track record at major companies. I’m not gonna play silly games cleaning toy datasets. I say no because I instantly lose interest. I also have a family, a demanding job and a life. I don’t have time to do “just a 30 min screening” that really means hours because that’s what others do. Of the companies that ask, about 75% of companies just pass which is fine. The other 25% sorta act like they never asked and continue. However, the number of places asking for formal evals has dropped off recently.

4 months ago

Edit

vkuma

​ ![gif](giphy|S4mv3vJ4iFjvq)

4 months ago

Edit

SuperSpyChase

The problem is people used to game the system and cheat constantly. The number of people in my parents' generation who have told me to my face that they just straight up lied about their qualifications to get a job is insane (and they usually encourage me to do this, too!). Businesses are now very wary of people faking their credentials and abilities, and have become overly cautious in response. The market also strongly favors employers right now, and making a bad hire is very costly to a business; so they have no reason to make it easy on applicants and lots of reasons to make it difficult. I agree it sucks, though.

4 months ago

Edit

GlitterBirb

This is why people shouldn't listen to that crazy person who came in this sub and bragged about lying her way into a six figure job...Most industries are going to grill you on your resume. I know mine does.

4 months ago

Edit

ceruleanmoon7

The process is hell these days.

4 months ago

Edit

MyBoognshIsHuge

Name a profession dominated by women that doesn’t isn’t hell other than nursing. HR leads by a mile. And they level up their hell. Now using Machine Learning/AI that can tell your political leanings/ sexuality/age/agreeability all from your résumé and cover letter.

4 months ago

Edit

KittensWithChickens

I think 2 phone calls and an on-site is perfect. It allows me as a candidate to get more info. I would not be comfortable with a one and done.

4 months ago

Edit

DinahTheKat

Yeah, it’s crazy what same jobs make you do. I dated a programmer and they made him do multiple interviews and hours long skills tests. Meanwhile I work as a therapist. I had a 15 minute interview, they checked my references, and then I was hired. And this has worked great for our company, we haven’t had a problem with anyone we hired on.

4 months ago

Edit

SanDiegoCK

I work in government. Pretty basic entry level job. From date of application until first day working it took 1 year. Blew my mind coming from the retail management world where I would hire someone day of interview after background/ drug test.

4 months ago

Edit

CrazyQuiltCat

Oh shit that is what I am wanting to do, go from retail to Goverment. 1 year ?

4 months ago

Edit

NeverOnTheShelf

I for some reason like the skills verification test they send. Lol they are usually really simple. Circle the correct word spelling. Like really? lol hate not getting a interview. They always say the top 5 candidates get a interview but what if everyone gets a 100%?

4 months ago

Edit

punknprncss

Because back in the day far less people were applying for jobs - women didn't work, POC were less likely to be considered for a lot of roles and there used to be more of a mindset that you got a job, you worked your way up at a company and you retired from that company. Older generations didn't job hop the way we do now. I also think back then there was less diversity in what people did - you went to school for marketing, you got a job in marketing, you went to school for biology, you went to medical school. These days it seems like what you went to school for doesn't really matter - there are engineers applying to marketing jobs, there are art majors learning how to code and going for programing jobs. I do think the comment another made that it benefits you just as much is accurate, more opportunity to get to know them, the culture and if the role is the right fit. But I totally get it can be hard to constantly get the time off work to interview, it's bad enough when it's one position and you need to do five interviews. Even worse when you have multiple companies you are interviewing with. Often though, for the right candidate, hiring managers will offer some level of flexibility in scheduling. You can always ask if they can do anything to work around your availability, they should understand that it's difficult to get the time off.

4 months ago

Edit

Odd_Layer_1550

That just prolongs the process even more. I have interview fatigue right now and I’m on the fourth and final round. If I don’t get an offer this time, it’s going to take a heck of a lot to get me motivated to get back on the horse. Been on the hunt for 3 months

4 months ago

Edit

Castrum4life

I've gotten ro the point of thinking about buying a hotdog cart and selling hotdogs on the street corner.

4 months ago

Edit

-hegemony_

i am sorry. that sounds like a lot. i will say that on tbe hiring side of things, a multistage process that also include some kind of skills assessment is super valuable. this is especially true when hiring senior positions or for small teams/companies, you just have to expect it. if they aren’t rigorous for those types of roles then something is likely not up to par. for larger companies or entry level positions its not fun or even particularly helpful for the company in terms of assessing for the position, but there’s someone out there willing to jump through the hoops and that’s a good way to find them.

4 months ago

Edit

cultword

I also can't stand that most employers don't tell you when you didn't. Like I took time out of my day to interview as well, common courtesy would be to follow up either way.

4 months ago

Edit

SephoraRothschild

You must be a developer.

4 months ago

Edit

IamYodaBot

**hrmmm a developer, you must be.** *-SephoraRothschild* *** ^(Commands: 'opt out', 'delete')

4 months ago

Edit

ThatGirlIsFly

I made a similar post a few days ago lol. so damn tired as well

4 months ago

Edit

TX_Godfather

My recommendation is to get a team of recruiters (I use LinkedIn) working on your behalf. It is in their interest that you get hired as they get paid a commission from the company. With multiple interviews, you can let your recruiters know that you are interviewing elsewhere, which will be passed onto the companies. This does a few things - 1) Increase your desirability - Whether it is right or not, people tend to chase something or someone that is already being pursued by others. 2) Causes the companies to try and speed things up to land you, before somebody else makes an offer. 3) May increase your offer amount to seal the deal against potential competitors.

4 months ago

Edit

Earthling1980

Ok. So how does one "get a team of recruiters working on your behalf" ?

4 months ago

Edit

SittingOnTheSide

There was a time when you brought your neighbor’s kid or former coworker into the fold by referrals. They were moved to the front of the line. When the EEO started to check employers, legsl got involved and now you have o make sure you aren’t discriminating against a candidate for any reason. Add that anyone can apply online and this increases the candidate pool. Employers have to vet the right candidate and insure they don’t get sued for rejecting others. At the multinational company I worked for, I had o ask all candidates the same questions (I had 20). These included why you applied, what do you know about the jo, what do you think your job will be, can I answer your questions. For every rejected applicant, I had to have a reason. My most common reason was “keywords in the ad did not appear in cover letters or resume). I had o turn this in for each applicant. Many other companies I worked for had similar protocols.

4 months ago

Edit

msut77

Just be honest. The reasons were largely made up right?

4 months ago

Edit

karp1234

So frustrating especially since I have to use eto to do the interviews

4 months ago

Edit

GalacticCats

As a web developer, I can’t imagine any other way to interview than with about three rounds. I need to determine if the job is what I want and if the team is a good fit for me, they want to know what my skills are and if I’m a good fit for their team, and proof that I can do what I claim. All of that cannot be done within one 1-hour interview.

4 months ago

Edit

ktzki

I know my company does multiple rounds to try to mitigate unconscious bias. They do limit it to 3 rounds (phone call with recruiter + 2 interviews) and they do get back to candidates no matter what

4 months ago

Edit

Sumbooodie

Dang. ~30 min interview my last 2 jobs.

4 months ago

Edit

One-Switch1958

Same here. It’s so exhausting trying to find a job.

4 months ago

Edit

Yjytrash01

These standards are really more taxing than the job itself. I believe that a company should just choose from a pool of candidates, then after a phone interview be able to tell if the person is capable for the job or not. Waiting for these results after long and strenuous interviews makes a person anxious. Even more devastating when they tell you that you did not get the job.

4 months ago

Edit

Scotialsoul

I’m a recruiter who is applying to recruiter jobs (first time in years). My mantra is if I engaged with a candidate live (initial phone call onward), I call them with a decline to give them a chance to ask for feedback. I couldn’t believe how many appreciative candidates there were just due to the fact I called even though I was telling them they weren’t successful. I was baffled as to why until... I became the candidate. Wow. It is a jungle out there. I’ve been ghosted at all stages of the process including one where I spent 5 hours interviewing with different team members and executives. How disappointing and motivated me even more to continue providing an exceptional and expedited candidate experience but in the meantime, I am having no fun. Employers need to value candidate’s time and if they don’t, will they value you as a team member?

4 months ago

Edit

motalin

Supply and demand. They know there are 1000 applicants for one job. They can be as picky as they want

4 months ago

Edit

hellohellos

for most roles, i think longer interview processes benefit both the applicant and the employer. with more rounds you get to meet more employees and get a better idea of the company culture and what kind of people work there and decide if that's something you want to be a part of. companies also understand that they are not hiring "machines" people who just execute work and go home, they're hiring people with wants and desires both in the office and out of it, and it helps both parties decide if they want to go into an agreement with each other if they can get more information out of one another.

4 months ago

Edit

mrkramer1990

Well it doesn’t seem to work to make people stay in a job for longer the fact is most people want a job to make money and be able to live. So I’m not sure if that actually matters all that much.

4 months ago

Edit

workinprogress521

THIS!!!

4 months ago

Jobs For You