Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

Why in God's Name Do I Need to Fill Out Past Employment, When my Resume is Attached?

5 months ago

|

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but: already employed, just thought I'd post this for some discussion. Because this is legitimately stupid. ​ Genuinely, what the hell and why? You have my resume, which details, in-depth, my past work experience, alongside achievements, certifications, etc. Why the hell are you making me fill out that information AGAIN?! Sometimes it's not just one time, there have been certain employers who made me do it THREE TIMES! And let's not forget that some of them also make you fill out references, even though you already have your references assigned in another document that you attached with your resume. Seriously, are job applications doing this to be as inconvenient as possible to the end user or are most of these websites just shoddily designed? What is the actual reasoning for wasting my damn time?

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • DVDeveee

It’s because their ATS isn’t advanced enough to parse out the experience on your resume. They don’t put in the time and money to improve it because despite how much people complain about it, people will still deal with it and copy and paste it.

5 months ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• RealisticBox1

Then why do they ask for a resume? I'm sure there is truth to this answer but it doesn't explain the redundancy

5 months ago

Edit

• GiaPaulmatti

Software hell. Keep on developing until it becomes a rube goldberg machine. Sales keeps selling software features, developers keep getting paid to grind out code, you keep taking up the rear. :)

5 months ago

Edit

• Joe_Doblow

you are getting paid for your work though. probably handsomely, if not you have the right to apply elsewhere

5 months ago

Edit

• Kalamitykim

Many large companies or HR companies have software that filter out applicants based on key words and requirements.

5 months ago

Edit

• BrinedBrittanica

but even with this being the case, the same words listed on my resume will be copypasta into their fields, so it just seems like redundancy for naught.

5 months ago

Edit

• Beefsideiron

Bitching about recruitment procsses - here's a big gripe of mine: Recruiter gets in touch, you talk, have a conversation over the phone, then asks you to apply - no, you called me, invite me for an informal coffee instead of going through those annoying recruitment processes - also, especially, if it's clear that they're desperate to hire someone.

5 months ago

Edit

• wildborbsunlimited

Or, you talk, and it's like everything you just told the recruiter about where you've been, your skills, and what you do NOT want to do goes in one ear and right out the other. I specifically told them no call centers and no remote jobs, not even temporary. They DO NOT LISTEN. I recently ended up agreeing to an interview through one with a call center and flat out told the interviewer that I was pushed along into that interview, and that the staffing agency they were going with is trying to get them candidates who do not want to work there. I don't play games, life is hard enough.

5 months ago

Edit

• Kionnn

Agreed. I'm also over requiring me to take a 30-90 min assessment BEFORE even an initial interview. After doing so many and never even getting an initial interview, I no longer take the assessments. If a simple application requires it, I withdrawal. Not worth my time.

5 months ago

Edit

• tylerderped

I had IBEX contact me telling me I didn't complete their assessment, I replied back saying "I don't take pre-employment assessments. Please respect my time and make a decision based on the merit of my resume." Fuckers.

5 months ago

Edit

• takethetrainpls

I don't design ATS, but I do sometimes implement them for different companies as part of my job. There are good ones out there that make the process much easier for applicants. They also cost money. A bad ATS is a cheap ATS. Even if a perfect ATS existed, many businesses would still choose the cheap crappy one.

5 months ago

Edit

• Musing_Bureaucrat

What are the decent ones that are worth the time to apply?

5 months ago

Edit

• SmashSlingingSlasher

I'll be honest, if a company is using workday or the ones that make you make an account and fill out all the info, even if it's my dream job I'll just move on. If it's not lever, greenhouse, smartrecruit, any one click and apply ATS, the time invested is just too high to warrant investment

5 months ago

Edit

• siouxwhatever

Same here lmao. I might be too prideful but I’ve never struggled to find a job skipping over those. 🤷‍♀️ If they have to have a computer sort through resumes I’m just assuming they get a LOT of applications anyways and I’m not at the point in my career to assume I’m reasonably gonna win out over 200 others.

5 months ago

Edit

• Heavyoak

Don't try to apply at CVS, there application asks for work history 3 separate times and each time you have to add more info

5 months ago

Edit

• Dylanrockin01

If I remember correctly, they also make you do some bullshit assessment after you do all that nonsense.

5 months ago

Edit

• letsgouda

I just got a job (yay) and had to attach a resume, fill in my work history as above, REAPPLY when they gave me the job (so do both again) AND they use a separate service for background checks so I had to fill out my work history in ANOTHER form. They better be glad it’s a pandemic cause I would have given up if I thought there was anything better out there.

5 months ago

Edit

• andreyred

I usually give up on applications that require this. Just a waste of time

5 months ago

Edit

• ilya47

Screw those companies that make your life miserable, move on to the next one, those with better service deserve you more.

5 months ago

Edit

• user_16

The application is a legal document, lying on it can have legal consequences. A resume is just a piece of paper.

5 months ago

Edit

• Louisville_Lem

I soooo agree with this! Ive gotten to the point where if I get directed to a canned 3rd party site like Taleo, I just dont apply. Not for me. You can tell more about how a person puts a resume together than some clunky, Win 95 era click-a-thon, any day. And references? C'mon, it may have been OK 15 or 20 years ago, but entirely inappropriate now. Cadillac's don't have fins anymore, too ...

5 months ago

Edit

• CosmicLightning

What I really dislike is companies are NOT ONLY requiring the application on indeed or snagajob but also the one on the main website. I usually like to skip the line and go to the main website to do the job application before indeed or snagajob or etc. Than get told by person on phone, "oh fill this one out here as well". Was their something wrong with the website application? Seriously, pick 1, not both. Good gravy. I'm still waiting for a computer programmer who can auto-fill all weird online applications for people. Guaranteed that'll be a seller. Than the job sites would have to actually start doing their job looking at applications.

5 months ago

Edit

• ROCtheCasbah1

Yes, it is ridiculous. As other people have pointed out, some companies use this to automatically process applicants. There's been many times I've decided not to apply for a specific role when I realized I'd need to spend an hour or so filling all my past employment including past references (only to then maybe get an automated rejection email). Hopefully more people do this so companies will eventually realize they're losing out on candidates because of outdated practices.

5 months ago

Edit

• jeflongstaf

Just don't apply to those jobs. It's a great indicator for a terrible hiring process and as a result, likely a terrible company.

5 months ago

Edit

• Desertbro

*Your Work History and your Resume are similar but not equivalent. They have some of the same info, but they have different purposes.* Work History is a ***dispassionate record*** of where you've been, who took you in, what labels you had, & how you left. This record is a starting point for a background check. Looking it over, an investigator may decide which places/times/incidents are most curious for learning how your attitudes were shaped, or if you were at these places at all. *A resume is your* ***professional face*** *to the world.* Unlike the Work History that just a pile of stats that grows indifferently to your wisdom and attitudes, a resume is how you present your goals, prime skills, and key experiences into a package that employers compare to others. How does Daredevil compare to Batman? They both frighten criminals and skulk around at night. Which you choose may depend on the scope of your project - a set area of the city, or the whole city? A few face-to-face meetings or a long-distance relationship where your agent uses a lot of 3rd party equipment? This is where your resume can help an employer make a choice.

5 months ago

Edit

• palazzoducale

I haven't looked for full time work in some time but I remember all the interviews where I have to fill out forms detailing my employment history which is clearly and explicitly stated in my resume already. I hated it so much. And it was done on paper. Looking back, I think my best experiences job hunting weren't from these companies that required you to do assessments and fill out a bajillion forms before the interview.

5 months ago

Edit

• chungus696969

Am I the only one that doesn't have my job history on my resume? I only include jobs that are relevant to the position I'm seeking.

5 months ago

Edit

• arbitrosse

That’s what you’re supposed to include, whether on your resume or on a company’s app - relevant experience.

5 months ago

Edit

• KatsuragiKEIMA445

Because its all about the employer, nobody cares about the guy applying for the job

5 months ago

Edit

• pilotp94

I've got no experience working in HR so I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but I think it's a mixture of several factors: 1. HR thinks it'll weed out people who are lazy. I'm not saying that they're correct in any capacity, personally I think it's ridiculous to expect anyone to do menial and unnecessary tasks when the best that 99% of them will get is a rejection email written by a robot in response, but I'm sure you've got the types that think this is a revolutionary and brilliant idea. 2. Have you ever seen these forms try to auto-import the relevant sections of your resume into your employer history? They're absolutely AWFUL at doing so. I've personally seen them replace random combinations of characters with random Unicode symbols, and it will almost always inevitably throw the entire next section in as part of your last job's description. This isn't done to test your attention to detail or whatever, the parsing technology is legitimately garbage, and someone had the big brain idea of "why should we waste time improving this when we can just make the applicant validate our input instead?" Why does this actually matter? Because... 3. Every company runs your resume through a computer to compare it against the job description, the ability to parse your data and understand what every piece of text on the resume means is integral to this process. HR wants to actually look at as few resumes as possible, so a computer will try to understand, for example, your employment history's titles and dates and automatically reject you if you don't have 3 years of relevant experience. When the previous case arises where they can't figure it out themselves, guess who they delegate the responsibility of feeding all that data into a nice machine readable format to? Yep, that's right, it's now your problem.

5 months ago

Edit

• Gunslinger_11

It’s a huge waste of everyone’s time, people need work and need positions filled now.

5 months ago

Edit

• Riptide360

Because they can. In the good old days it was recruiters and head hunters that did all the hard work and collected a commission. With the advent of central job databases asking applicants to go thru a litany of procedures made it easier for HR depts to collect vast numbers of applicants and claim how many they tossed for any multitude of sins (grammar, wrong school, employment gap, etc). With AI & Automation it is just getting worse. Andrew Yang was right.

5 months ago

Edit

• Fog_Battleship_Ise

I always viewed it as a way to weed out those who are dedicated from those who aren't. If someone truly wants the job they will do whatever mundane task is asked and those who are lazy won't. Less people to go through.

5 months ago

Edit

• Dylanrockin01

See, I always viewed it like that as well, but that's awfully sadistic at the same time. There are many people who have to sit through putting in, literally, 30+ applications a week to try and get hired at their dream job. I was one of those people, but thankfully no longer have to do that \*knocks on wood\* ​ All I hear from the employer is "Dance for me, monkey. Dance for your job!"

5 months ago

Edit

• Gemdiver

Its for HR, less work for them, more work for you. I fill out the most recent job I had and write in "see resume" for whatever else they want.

5 months ago

Edit

• cuteman

To filter you out

5 months ago

Edit

• Ellis-dd

IT Engineer here. It’s processing power. Every resume parsed has to use someone’s computer somewhere. When a company is getting thousands of applications and thousands of open positions it can be stressful for their servers. Also the information is stored into databases for key words that have to be sorted out very accurately for the software to make use of it and computers are only so accurate with resumes when there’s no official template. Sometimes it can auto fill an application from a resume but it’s usually not very accurate. With how many applications are submitted there’s a high chance an HR employee ever reads it unless you email it to them directly.

5 months ago

Edit

• fonefreek

Your resume / CV is something that has all your information in one (printable) source. The form you filled out is something that can be easily and quickly parsed, whether by software or manually. If they only have your resume, it would take a substantially longer time to screen candidates. If you only fill out the form, then they won't have something that.. 1. You created yourself (and therefore subject to assessment) 2. Has all your information in one place

5 months ago

Edit

• kelticslob

“See attached resume”

5 months ago

Edit

• Dylanrockin01

Until they say not to post that and then I stop applying for the job. Yes, see the attached resume, like actually pull it up, because I'm not posting it twice.

5 months ago

Edit

• slarsson

Applicant tracking systems (ATS). It's software used to scan applications for relevant skills, keywords and other factors.

5 months ago

Edit

• RuleTheOne

Could they dismiss a candidate based on the keywords in their previous jobs too?

5 months ago

Edit

• hariboho

At the tiny place where I work (and where my boss and I are the "software" that looks at resumes, we asked because the owner asked for it in both places. We've skipped that on the last two rounds and he hasn't noticed.

5 months ago

Edit

• -gpz-

... for the same reasons why they don’t allow you to apply for a job more than 3 times... (eg: salesforce, google, etc.), they don’t care about candidates

5 months ago

Edit

• Mammoth-Stranger

So they don't have to open up a document and read it. Instead is spoon fed to them I would assume. I'm not really sure why they do this, but it should really be one or the other.

5 months ago

Edit

• goprecrust

As someone who has hired people previously, it's nice having all of this information on a single page in a specific format. Some resumes are all over the place with information. Some have education first, some have jobs first, some have references first, some put those purpose statements first. Fortunately our hiring system ingests PDFs and Word documents pretty well and fills in most of this for the applicant.

5 months ago

Edit

• epic_pig

Welcome to jub hunting - 2020 style...

5 months ago

Edit

• AlphoQup

Rules... You have to follow the rules. Also, it's to get you used to doing a bunch of meaningless redundant work. Welcome to the workforce.

5 months ago

Edit

• Pregnantandroid

It's not to get you used to do meaningless work. You shouldn't be guessing if you don't know the reason.

5 months ago

Edit

• rolmega

No offense intended, but have you not had to job hunt for a long time? That's the only reality I know.

5 months ago

Edit

• qbit1010

Copy and paste ...agree it’s stupid

5 months ago

Edit

• stripedpixel

So call and get in touch with their HR

5 months ago

Edit

• harryhov

Hiring manager here. As good as scanners are, it's not perfect. Have you tried some application platform that tries to convert your resume details into the form? It doesn't work. Also, more people are using fancy formatting on their resume which makes it even harder to convert. It's annoying but necessary.

5 months ago

Edit

• FlipMyWigBaby

Fun anecdote: In the OLD days, I was an HR and Payroll Manager for a major financial services company. Some insights from sorting thru piles of applications/applicants ... People still hand filled out old fashioned "Employment Applications" in addition to attaching Resumes / CVs. In the area that said "Education", where applicants would fill in their schooling and professional certifications, I intentionally put in a line just above that section that said: 'DO NOT WRITE: "SEE RESUME / RESUME ATTACHED" ... '. It was solely inserted to see if applicant could follow printed instructions carefully, in an industry that demanded the highest attention to detail and fine print. IF I interviewed that person, and noticed they ignored those instructions, I would ask during the interview: "How good are you at following written instructions, as this industry/job requires the utmost attention to following all instructions and regulations?" Then I would show that section to them, again... *Yes, it was a different time*, but it was still amazing how people would try to blow this off, while simultaneously trying to impress me with their attention to detail. It could actually indicate carelessness, and that was the first impression they made to HR. As a side note of these old days, I would notice if an applicant came with his/her own pen, or if they scrambled around trying to borrow a pen. An eager applicant came with their own pen... because in those old days, the unemployed would have to list places where they applied to in order to complete their bi-weekly unemployment claim, and some people merely wandered in just trying to prove they were 'trying' to find a job application to fill out, in order to list that attempt on their UI claim form .. I guess nowadays people think successfully uploading and copy pasting makes any kind of impression?

5 months ago

Edit

• birdsofterrordise

Honestly? What you did sounds shitty and like a gotcha rather than a valid application of whether they know laws and regulations and how to follow those. I worked on research grant applications so yeah I know how detailed they are, but if you told me to rewrite information I’m already handing to you, I’d tell you to pound sand because you’re valuing wasting my time, not my quality as a candidate.

5 months ago

Edit

• RockOutWithGlockOut

It's to see how you format a document, I think. Vs. Typing. Honestly this is an irritation but really not that hard. Your resume should be in Word and pdf already...copy and paste.

5 months ago

Edit

• Dylanrockin01

True, however... why? Literally, the resume is a printable document that you can look at or maybe mess with the software to preview to HR, so they can read it.

5 months ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job