Applied Research Associates, Inc. has an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional Electrical Engineer with experience in power generation and distribution systems to support a multi-disciplined team that develops methodologies, processes, and technological applications for detecting, locating, identifying, physically and functionally characterizing, modeling and assessing WMD threats to support full dimensional defeat planning and combat operations.The position develops in-depth technical assessments and models of WMD facilities and supporting utilities using multiple intelligence sources and analytical tools. The position requires providing Technical Reachback support to operational planners to support tactical and strategic planning.
The position also provides occasional training to share expertise with junior counterparts and supports exercises to test new methodologies and analytical tools that are under development.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Bachelors degree inElectrical Engineering or equivalent degree, or an advanced trade school certificate with extensive experience in the electrical field and power generation.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within or lead a team of peers, as well as excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to communicate highly technical analyses at a level comprehensible to laymen and senior-level government representatives.
- Ability to clearly express in writing technical analysis results and site characterizations.
- 10 years of experience in solving engineering problems.
- Practicalelectrical systems knowledge gained through design, construction, or facilities management work experience.
- Working knowledge of the design and operation of power-generation plants (diesel, gas turbine, hydroelectric, nuclear, and/or coal-fired), main- and low-voltage transformer substations, power distribution grids, uninterruptible power supplies, and related components & subsystems.
- Expert knowledge and use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Direct experience supporting reverse engineering, threat analysis, and vulnerability/survivability assessments of WMD-related facilities, processes, and infrastructure (to include underground facilities)
- Working knowledge of power system engineering/simulation software tools such as ETAP, NEPLAN, NAP, etc.
- Military or defense-related experience and an understanding of operational planning and functional defeat of hard targets and underground facilities
- Working knowledge of engineering, 3D modeling, and geospatial analytical tools to include AutoCAD, ArcGIS, MatLab, SketchUp, Skyline Software, RemoteView, etc.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,300 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the companys success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the UFAC Characterization Engineer, (CAD-2013-06) position. ARA is an EEO/AA employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)