Date posted 09/02/2021
Job ID 31525BR
Company General Atomics
Experience Level Senior (8+ years)
Job Title Computer Engineer
Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Salary
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the worlds leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Computer Engineer within the Tiger Innovations team which is part of our Electromagnetic Systems group. The position would be located in Herndon, VA. The Tiger Innovations team provides innovative, cutting-edge, security solutions for the United States Government. Our employees provide a multi-disciplinary, sometimes non-traditional, approach to generate innovative solutions to incredibly challenging technical problems in the national security arena. Our areas of expertise are in spacecraft payload and system development (especially in the confines of implementing very large amounts of functionality in extremely small, power-constrained environments); unique system development; ground control and operational software development; embedded software development; and unique cyber capabilities. Key customers include the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The selected candidate will be an integral participant in derived-requirements definition, avionics hardware development and implementation, and system integration, test, and verification for spacecraft and associated flight-payload/ground electronics.
- Key areas of focus include digital and FPGA hardware/firmware development and implementation, including schematic design and board functional test, as well as a development of associated firmware and test software.
- Formulates plans, typically long term, for solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment, as well as meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards.
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and ensures that appropriate documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates completed.
- Communicates with engineering professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle, represents the company as a prime technical contact on contracts and/or projects, interacts with senior external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations, and participates in the development of new or expansion of existing business.
- Determines technical objectives for solution(s) to advanced technical engineering problems.
- Represents the organization as a prime technical contact within and engineering team for assigned project(s)/program(s).
- May function in an advisory or leadership role for a project/program and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff.
- Formulates plans and guides the development and implementation of engineering solution(s) including deployment, resource requirements, testing, documentation, integration and compliance and safety.
- Plans and coordinates the maintenance of engineering solutions including, documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solution(s) in an evolving environment.
- Plans for future applications of solutions based on new developments in engineering technology.
- Participates in or may lead the development of new or expansion of existing business opportunities
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience with a masters degree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact; and, the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Experience with FPGA development is required. Experience with Actel toolchains is a plus.
- Must be comfortable working with custom/standard serial protocols.
- Experience developing with soft-core processors and developing FPGAs to work with custom protocols as well as standard serial interfaces is highly desired.
- Experience interfacing with focal plane arrays is a plus.
- Spacecraft hardware development experience is a plus.
- Must be comfortable with designing, developing and debugging small circuitry which performs sensing, digital data manipulation, and electro-mechanical control.
- Proficiency working with schematics and laboratory testing of electronics hardware and embedded systems (e.g., using logic analyzers and associated lab tools as debugging aids) is required.
- Proficiency in C programming language is desirable.
- Experience with software development and the Linux operating system environment is desirable.
- Must be customer focused and able to work on a self- initiated basis or in a team environment and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- US Citizenship is required as is the ability to maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Travel Percentage Required 0 - 25
Relocation Assistance Provided Not Provided
US Citizenship Required? Yes
Clearance Required? No
Whether you are just starting out in your career or are an experienced professional, GA offers a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on our Total Rewards package, please click Apply Now below to be directed to the complete .
General Atomics is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, ancestry, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, transitioning status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, medical condition, mental disability, physical disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. EEO is the law. We also prohibit compensation discrimination under all applicable laws.
Report This Job
Jobs For You
How much should you be earning?
Are you getting paid fairly? Find out how much Computer Engineers are earning in Virginia.