General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the worlds leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer within the Tiger Innovations team which is part of our Electromagnetic Systems group. The position would be located in Herndon, VA. The Tiger Innovations team provides innovative, cutting-edge, security solutions for the United States Government. Our employees provide a multi-disciplinary, sometimes non-traditional, approach to generate innovative solutions to incredibly challenging technical problems in the national security arena. Our areas of expertise are in spacecraft payload and system development (especially in the confines of implementing very large amounts of functionality in extremely small, power-constrained environments); unique system development; ground control and operational software development; embedded software development; and unique cyber capabilities. Key customers include the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community.
Under general directions with limited review, this position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives and reviewed largely at completion. This position will involve initiating the planning of engineering projects and developing innovative designs or modifications in order to meet project goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The selected candidate will be an integral participant in software requirements definition, software development and implementation, as well as system design, test, and verification for spacecraft and payload flight/ground software.
- Key areas of focus include software engineering, software design and implementation, evaluation of operating modes, and a strong understanding of associated firmware and hardware (e.g., onboard computers).
- May design, develop, implement, and test FPGA-firmware.
- Independently performs difficult/complex engineering work with instructions as to the general expected results.
- Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff, makes technical presentations, and may represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects.
- Supports operation of engineering systems and documents any problems.
- Devises new approaches to resolve unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements, difficult coordination requirements, and special material requirements.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Experience on satellite programs is strongly desired. Candidate should also be experienced in the design, integration and test of satellite buses and knowledgeable of launch and flight operations of space vehicles.
- High proficiency in C programming language (and/or C++).
- Software development in the Linux environment (command line, GCC, Makefiles, shell scripting, etc.)
- Embedded development: cross-compiling to separate targets, testing/development on highly-embedded systems.
- Network programming using sockets API, understanding of networking fundamentals (network layers, TCP, UDP, etc.)
- Real-time OS concepts such as threads, locking, etc.
- Assembly language experience.
- Experience with FPGA development is strongly desired.
- Able to work extended hours as necessary.
- US Citizenship is required as is the ability to maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
Report This Job
Jobs For You
How much should you be earning?
Are you getting paid fairly? Find out how much Software Engineers are earning in Virginia.